Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

on a completely different note...

someone just posted this on another forum I'm on.

I normally don't broach this subject... but a machine operator somewhere has been slacking.

but it appears someone's got some splinin' to do :haw:
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, for the surprising number of software people here: I just switched jobs, and with that, RCS. Old job used Git, which I liked a lot, new one uses SVN which I haven't used previously. I have used CVS though.

Is SVN objectively terrible or just subjectively? I really, really can't wrap my brain around it. Granted, we use a handful of externals and a zillion branches, but still...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
InitialDave, I was wondering when someone would catch that one :v:

SVN is kinda archaic compared to git from what I hear, but I'm used to it. And at least it isn't SCCS, CVS, or worse, Visual SourceSafe.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

SVN is kinda archaic compared to git from what I hear, but I'm used to it. And at least it isn't SCCS, CVS, or worse, Visual SourceSafe.

I think what it really comes down to is all revision management software sucks, git just seems to be the least lovely. That might be because its relatively new so you are not dealing with the 20 year old legacy SVN setup.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

InitialDave, I was wondering when someone would catch that one :v:

I enjoyed it as well but couldn't come up with a good response at the time. Good wordsmithing work.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Do never not replace things that were bent in a ditching. It got way worse since it first happened, new subframe time!

I've had so much god drat practice at B5 subframes, this should be a walk in the park!

Made a dank sammich for lunch, at least

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://networkadminkb.com/KB/a494/how-to-fix-wafl-hung-in-sk-process.aspx

Yeaaaah THAT caused a fun loving morning so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yesterday was 50 days straight of now beer, fast food, fried food or pop. So I decided to drink more than I have in months. Ended up getting into a huge fight with the girlfriend that I barely remember. I think I had a mild psychotic episode (happened 7 years ago, Dr diagnosed). It was bad but when I woke up today I wasn't sure it had really happened, I thought it had been a dream. Definitely wasn't a dream as I called the friend who kicked me out of his life recently at 1:45am.

So I messaged his wife to send my apologies along and she confides in me that they're fighting all the time and she isn't hopeful for their future. I'd guess this was where things were going for them and figured it was part of why he pushed me out.

Finding out I was right was the worst thing as now I'm even more worried and I'm stuck on the outside unable to help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Last week we had a full up systems crash when we rolled out our new Symantec.

Killed our VMs, corrupted the VHD file they were stored in, I had to re-make everything from scratch. Thank goodness for nightly backups.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

There's so many sandwich shops up there now - which one?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Last week we had a full up systems crash when we rolled out our new Symantec.

Killed our VMs, corrupted the VHD file they were stored in, I had to re-make everything from scratch. Thank goodness for nightly backups.

NetApp's older version where they had a poo poo fit when the LUN filled really blow my mind. Disk space gone on one LUN? Disconnect ALL LUN's in the aggregate! Easy mistaek to do when you forget snapshots need the preconfigured amount of free space and you drop into that. Whenever I set up a LUN now, I have a calculator ready.

Version 8 is a lot more tolerant but maaaaaaaaan what a nightmare a full LUN can be on a NetApp.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress Netapp. My workplace uses it for its Windows Server shares and it plays merry (or is it mary) hell on any client that isn't running Windows 7.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Making some progress on Go Like Hell at work.
Just made it passed the GT40 debut in LeMans 1964.

I feel like leaving and tearing up the streets! Reading it gave me a tingly feeling, I want to go on a drive!!!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

There's so many sandwich shops up there now - which one?

My kitchen :getin:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I finally took my car in for the recall since it had failed on me back in March and the parts have been backordered etc etc.

They gave me a 2014 Beetle, and I actually kind of like it.

It's fun, it's peppy, it's got a gigantic boot compared to my IRL, and it's got a fantastic interior compared to my IRL. I've been giving it some thought, and while it won't be an upgrade, I'm seriously considering ridding myself of my IRL, as much as I love it. Over the next year or two I'm going to need a truck so me and my soon-to-be-wife can be "spontaneous", ie buy furniture and other things that totally wouldn't fit in my IRL. If I can get $3500 to $4000 for it, I can put in $1000-$2000 and get a 4.0 V6 Ranger in decent condition, though the trick will be finding one. I don't get my car back for a month, so hopefully I can find a buyer and a decent truck around the same time I get it back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the hell did you wind up with a VW loaner when a GM dealership is doing the work? :confused:

It's been almost a month since I tried to get the dealer to take the car. Even had an appointment (scheduled several days in advance). Can't get my service advisor to return calls... I'm getting more than a little annoyed with Huffines Chevrolet. :sigh:

They refused to do a loaner as well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 22, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

How the hell did you wind up with a VW loaner when a GM dealership is doing the work? :confused:

It's been almost a month since I tried to get the dealer to take the car. Even had an appointment (scheduled several days in advance). Can't get my service advisor to return calls... I'm getting more than a little annoyed with Huffines Chevrolet. :sigh:

I would imagine every potential GM brand loaner has some corvair-like defect and is awaiting it's own recall repairs to make it less of a rolling sarcophagus.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

It's also one with a Washington plate.
With all the recalls GM is probably scrambling to find loaners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My girlfriend just got off the phone from a 45 minute conversation with her best friend, who lives around five hours away. Friend is in the middle of a nursing degree and has some random lovely job, friend's boyfriend is a maritime engineer guy and makes around $2500 a week. Both are mid 20's, been together around 3 years and currently live together. They both come across as pretty much normal, reasonably well adjusted people.

Then this happened:

:geno: I don't understand how you can get paid $400 a week and not be able to pay off your student loan.

;-* Well I have to pay rent and buy food and pay for petrol etc etc I guess

:geno: I don't get it, you should learn to spend your money better.

;-* I'm not really sure what else I can do, I'm only just making ends meet...?

:geno: I know, I'll compile a list of jobs you can do for me, and I'll pay you for them!

;-* ...

A short while later he comes back with a list of stuff a page long, some of the highlights include:

- Wash my car: $40
- Clean the house: $50
- Give me a foot massage: $40
- Give me a blowjob: $250
- Give me an all-nighter: $800

:psyboom:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

I would imagine every potential GM brand loaner has some corvair-like defect and is awaiting it's own recall repairs to make it less of a rolling sarcophagus.

Yeah, they had enterprise come pick me up from the dealer and basically told me that since I told them it's shut down on me once already they really don't want to be held liable if it happens again. Apparently I skipped a three week wait list :shrug:.

Also the dealer I took my car to owns a VW dealership next to them so that may or may not be related...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slavvy posted:

Blowjob is the best time-to-earning ratio, but holy poo poo, that guy made several serious relationship mistakes in that conversation.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'd wash a car for 40 bucks. It only takes an hour or so.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a new Initial D movie coming out.

G E T H Y P E

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

G E T H Y P E

This is fantastic news to wake up to :swoon:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Phone posted:

G E T H Y P E

OH MAN

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The 928 managed 15.2 mpg last tank :woot: good enough. Drove the TDI in this morning and was disappointed with how uncomfortable it is after driving the Porch for a while. 928 seats are great and feel like a lazy boy with bolsters and support, the TDI feels like a crappy generic seat which I guess it is.

Dangit I want 928 comfort with TDI mpg.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Slavvy posted:

My girlfriend just got off the phone from a 45 minute conversation with her best friend, who lives around five hours away. Friend is in the middle of a nursing degree and has some random lovely job, friend's boyfriend is a maritime engineer guy and makes around $2500 a week. Both are mid 20's, been together around 3 years and currently live together. They both come across as pretty much normal, reasonably well adjusted people.

Then this happened:

:geno: I don't understand how you can get paid $400 a week and not be able to pay off your student loan.

;-* Well I have to pay rent and buy food and pay for petrol etc etc I guess

:geno: I don't get it, you should learn to spend your money better.

;-* I'm not really sure what else I can do, I'm only just making ends meet...?

:geno: I know, I'll compile a list of jobs you can do for me, and I'll pay you for them!

;-* ...

A short while later he comes back with a list of stuff a page long, some of the highlights include:

A lot of young engineers I meet think they're really smart, but most of them have this level of social and emotional intelligence.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

G E T H Y P E

Last week the first two episodes of final stage came out but there's no English subs yet.

And it's not just a new movie, it's a trilogy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

The 928 managed 15.2 mpg last tank :woot: good enough. Drove the TDI in this morning and was disappointed with how uncomfortable it is after driving the Porch for a while. 928 seats are great and feel like a lazy boy with bolsters and support, the TDI feels like a crappy generic seat which I guess it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-928...007adf0&vxp=mtr

Also, my local yard has a 928 in inventory. Haven't had eyes on it myself, but it might be worth looking into if you have anything nearby.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
On the one hand I'm excited for the new Initial D movie (trilogy?!) but hoooly crap if you think AE86 prices are stupid now...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

How reliable is this beast? I mean, its a 20+ year old car so there will always be annoying bullshit. But Motronic DD's his 944, and there are some of us that DD Rovers, so it cant be that awful.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Last 928 I saw was on the side of the highway with a tow truck in front of it :(

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

blk posted:

A lot of young engineers I meet think they're really smart, but most of them have this level of social and emotional intelligence.

A coworker/young engineer type didn't find it odd that he didn't have a single light source in his room, at his apartment. He was perfectly content with using his phone or iPad for light.

He has also started taking the bus to work, to save some money, at the expense of probably 3hrs a day.

He owns a 2010 TDI a makes probably close to 6 figures a year :psyberger:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-928...007adf0&vxp=mtr

Also, my local yard has a 928 in inventory. Haven't had eyes on it myself, but it might be worth looking into if you have anything nearby.
That would look so strange but I guess that is one option.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How reliable is this beast? I mean, its a 34 year old car so there will always be annoying bullshit. But Motronic DD's his 944, and there are some of us that DD Rovers, so it cant be that awful.
Fixed that for you...34 years old. I have no idea but likely not as reliable as the VW. Honestly it's going up for sale this afternoon once I put the interior back together. Fun car but I'd rather have the cash.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would look so strange but I guess that is one option.

Fixed that for you...34 years old. I have no idea but likely not as reliable as the VW. Honestly it's going up for sale this afternoon once I put the interior back together. Fun car but I'd rather have the cash.

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......

The v10!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

blk posted:

Hey I resemble that remark!

Except I'm not smart either

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apparently one of the most searched for terms in Florida is "Mazda Miata." So how many AI posters who live in Florida own a Miata...?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I'm trying to get a job back home so my wife and I can move out there and be near the in-laws and my folks for free babysitting (omg kid in two weeks, who let me have a kid!) I'm a senior IT janitor and I actually like it, so I'd like to move up and be IT janitor manager. I've got all the requirements, my current boss lets me play manager when he's out, I have a BA in Management, I have certs, and it's clear from looking at my resume that's where I want to go. Problem is, nobody wants a manager without experience, and you can't get experience without being a manager. That's enough to drag out the job search, but when I also search for senior level IT janitor jobs, I wind up running into the networking issue. It's been so long since I lived out there and I wasn't where I am in my career then, I have no industry contacts. I broke down and contacted some recruiters, but for IT Janitor jobs, when they actually get what you want right and they actually get the location right (so many of them think "Albany Area = NYC Area") they either can't get it in their heads that I'm not after temp work and that I'm not going to move into a new state for entry-level work or pay. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
:toot:

It usually takes several years of auditioning before you actually get on, but so far I'm 2 for 2

• Locked thread