Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'd jump on your offer, if the great Atlantic ocean wasn't between us. Thanks for all the feedback people! I'll post what I ended up going with when I get my guitar back.

Ah shame, I was about to post back that I have too many spare pickups sitting around right now and just would have sent it out for cost of shipping. Offer stands even across the ocean heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

jwh posted:

I traded some video editing work for a Guild M-80. I believe it's the third redesign of the M-80, which would put it around '82 or so.

I spent a lot of time in Westerly, Rhode Island, when I was younger, where Guild was located for many years, so it's a little bit sentimental.

Anyway, the bridge pickup is nearly dead, though I don't know if it's a wiring issue or something wrong with the pickup itself.

Heavy guitar though, for a double cutaway. I think it weighs in at around 9.5 pounds.

Those are fantastic guitars. Don't have those fantastic Guild pups though, so no loss if you have to replace the bridge.

Second redesign. The M80 is a DC of the post 72 solidbody Bluesbird/M75, then they updated it for the 80s

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Those are fantastic guitars. Don't have those fantastic Guild pups though, so no loss if you have to replace the bridge.

Second redesign. The M80 is a DC of the post 72 solidbody Bluesbird/M75, then they updated it for the 80s

They might be DiMarzios (both were offered as factory options). We'll know for sure once we take them out to check the bad neck pickup.

There's not a ton of information out there about the guitars, in any revision. Apparently they only made around 400 M80s total (which I find hard to believe, but that's what I've found so far).

I really, really want to tune it to A# with a one-off .60 low E and the rest from a light jazz .12 set, to do the Dan Phillips thing.

That guy really likes his L6S's:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Been overseas a while and got sick of playing loaner guitars so I picked up a Chinese replica strat for $80 and it plays surprisingly well right out of the box. There's a couple of buzz spots on the fretboard and the pickups are noisy shits. I'll do a setup and put some brand name strings on it and see if the buzz is gone. It stays in tune so if I swap out the pickups it'll be a good player.. If the makers didn't insist on putting replica Fender logos on all of them they could probably sell them legitimately in America and make some real money.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

They might be DiMarzios (both were offered as factory options). We'll know for sure once we take them out to check the bad neck pickup.

There's not a ton of information out there about the guitars, in any revision. Apparently they only made around 400 M80s total (which I find hard to believe, but that's what I've found so far).

I really, really want to tune it to A# with a one-off .60 low E and the rest from a light jazz .12 set, to do the Dan Phillips thing.

That guy really likes his L6S's:

I think the 80s were a pretty bad decade for Guild, though they did come out with those really great Nightbird/Nightingale guitars in 84.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I noticed that Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day is a Moog 12-Stage Phaser. I am not really in the market for one, but I know that a few people have proclaimed there love for all things Moog, so I wanted to give a heads up. It's still $200, so not exactly inexpensive, but they claim that $300 is regular price (and that seems consistent with a quick search elsewhere), so not a bad discount.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ugh. Just supreme cleaned, oiled and restrung an ovation I got off the wall from Sam Ash. So much better. Its amazing what a new set of strings feels like.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I found what I think is a decently cheap (~$350 converted) used Marshall JTM30. I currently have a THR10 and a Fender Greta as amps, and would like something with some more ooomph for playing at home when the gf is away. Would this be a good enough choice or should I look for something else? I don't know much about amps, but I wouldn't be afraid of changing tubes and stuff when poo poo breaks.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's a good price for a JTM30. They tend to go for between 5 and 600, roughly.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I hang out sometimes at the Guitar Center up in Robinson, largely because I have friends that worked there. They got a few new used things in, and today, I'm pretty sure I played the perfect guitar. Was a flame maple top Parker....something. Odd little strat-esque thing if strange organic lines with a short, slender neck that fit me like vacuum sealed latex, with a buzz free action so light it very nearly played itself. It weighed nothing and was more or less like air-guitaring but having sound actually happen. And it was so, so hard to not walk out with it.

TLDR; found my someday grail for when I'm worthy. Anybody ever have a guitar hit them like that? And for that matter, who owns a Parker?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I already posted this in the iOS music production thread but anyway.. For anyone with an iOS guitar interface of some sort, BIAS Amps and JamUp Pro XT for IOS are half off this weekend.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey baby, does anyone recognize this brand?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Possibly Kawai? Got a picture of the body?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Given the string tree I'm gonna guess some late 60s Japanese brand.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Given the string tree I'm gonna guess some late 60s Japanese brand.

yeah probably one of the dozens of brands that shot up when surf got real popular

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I dunno what it is but now I want one. :swoon:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Agrinja posted:

I hang out sometimes at the Guitar Center up in Robinson, largely because I have friends that worked there. They got a few new used things in, and today, I'm pretty sure I played the perfect guitar. Was a flame maple top Parker....something. Odd little strat-esque thing if strange organic lines with a short, slender neck that fit me like vacuum sealed latex, with a buzz free action so light it very nearly played itself. It weighed nothing and was more or less like air-guitaring but having sound actually happen. And it was so, so hard to not walk out with it.

TLDR; found my someday grail for when I'm worthy. Anybody ever have a guitar hit them like that? And for that matter, who owns a Parker?

Yes, for me it was a PRS Starla. It was exactly like you described, the way it just seemed to fit, every sound was what I wanted, it just felt right.

Soon I'll have one. Soon being sometime in the next few years. I hope.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Looks like a Harmony. Not quit the same model Annie from St Vincent rocks

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think its this

http://surfgeekguitars.blogspot.com/2011/02/preistige-teisco-electric-guitar.html

Should i buy it for 150 and try to resell it?

E looks like this one too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0EyTt9qDCs

Both of those have three pickups though.

Barfoid 3 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 24, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Info on Guild pickups

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/guild-full-sized-hb1-and-sd1-pickup-variations/

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The square pickups really scream Teisco to me. During the height of the guitar boom of the 60's a bunch of guitars made by Teisco were re-branded by a bunch of importers looking to get in on the easy money.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Agrinja posted:

I played a Parker for a few days while staying at a friend's house. It was hard to tear myself away from it. I want one, but not enough (yet) to justify the expense for a pre-acquisition Parker in good shape. I've never played another fretboard like that at all, and the whole "weighs absolutely nothing" thing is awesome too.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I tried to restring a floyd rose special and now the tremolo is sitting too high above the body, but I need to tune up rather then down. I've tightened the springs as far as I can but it's still not parallel to the body. Is this unfuckable?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Barfoid 3 posted:

Hey baby, does anyone recognize this brand?

With the lightness of the wood in the are, the original name is long gone. I had an almost identical "Silvertone" version. Got it for free and sold it within 4hours for $300 to some old dude who didn't even plug it in.

So like the others said. It's a Teisco of some sort. The neck plate should have "Made in Japan" on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThePutty posted:

I tried to restring a floyd rose special and now the tremolo is sitting too high above the body, but I need to tune up rather then down. I've tightened the springs as far as I can but it's still not parallel to the body. Is this unfuckable?

Did you go up in string gauge?

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

With the lightness of the wood in the are, the original name is long gone. I had an almost identical "Silvertone" version. Got it for free and sold it within 4hours for $300 to some old dude who didn't even plug it in.

So like the others said. It's a Teisco of some sort. The neck plate should have "Made in Japan" on it.

interesting. They both have the same problem of missing the washer on the high e string tuner......

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Cojawfee posted:

Did you go up in string gauge?

I don't believe I did, but I'll probably end up just taking it to a repair shop instead of risking anything more

edit:

Actually, I think I've gone from 9-42s to 11-49s in a bout of incompetence, is this an enormous difference in gauge or shouldn't I be worried?

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 24, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
You could try adding a spring first. Or angling the existing ones.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One trick I found when changing string gauge on a floyd rose style trem was to tune up the 6th string then the 1st. Balance the springs so the trem is a touch low and move on to the 5th and 2nd string. Rebalance and retune the outer strings then move inwards. For a final pass once the bridge is level with the body you just run from 6th to 1st strings, lock it down a few cents flat and fine tune.

Stretch the new strings well and it'll be way out of tune so retune and wait a day. By then the neck will settle and you can detune then adjust the truss rod, action and intonation, repeat the tuning process and wait another day or two. Then when you have it perfect refuse to gently caress with it ever! Go buy a hardtail so you can experiment with tunings and special strings, seriously gently caress this balancing act poo poo I'm gonna block the trem and buy a Digitech whammy pedal!

I'm pretty sure there's an official diagnosis for Floyd Rose psychosis that can be used to mitigate a murder plea.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Verizian posted:

Stretch the new strings well and it'll be way out of tune so retune and wait a day. By then the neck will settle and you can detune then adjust the truss rod, action and intonation, repeat the tuning process and wait another day or two. Then when you have it perfect refuse to gently caress with it ever! Go buy a hardtail so you can experiment with tunings and special strings, seriously gently caress this balancing act poo poo I'm gonna block the trem and buy a Digitech whammy pedal!

Why didn't you tell me this when I bought my guitar.

Why.

VERIZIAN KNEW

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Verizian posted:

One trick I found when changing string gauge on a floyd rose style trem was to tune up the 6th string then the 1st. Balance the springs so the trem is a touch low and move on to the 5th and 2nd string. Rebalance and retune the outer strings then move inwards. For a final pass once the bridge is level with the body you just run from 6th to 1st strings, lock it down a few cents flat and fine tune.

I'm pretty sure there's an official diagnosis for Floyd Rose psychosis that can be used to mitigate a murder plea.

I can't rebalance the strings as I've already got the springs tight as they can go, so if I'm tuning up each string it'll bring it back high again and I can't make the bridge any lower. I've only got three springs in though, so maybe I either need to restring everything on a lower gauge or add another in. If I'm gonna do that, how are you meant to add in another spring without ruining everything (again)?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

ThePutty posted:

I can't rebalance the strings as I've already got the springs tight as they can go, so if I'm tuning up each string it'll bring it back high again and I can't make the bridge any lower. I've only got three springs in though, so maybe I either need to restring everything on a lower gauge or add another in. If I'm gonna do that, how are you meant to add in another spring without ruining everything (again)?

You're not, once it gets to this point you're best detuning until all the strings are slack, after all tuning is the easiest part of this. You'll likely want to get more springs made of a firmer metal, it can be tricky finding the right ones but I bought a pack of 7 "Xtra firm steel springs for strat or Ibanez" from Amazon that were shipped from Hong Kong for like £4.50. That was enough for 3 in my strat with wilkinson trem and 5 for my Ibanez with Edge III Floyd Rose copy. You need to balance the spring tension vs string tension so it's exactly equal and resting on the tremolo's "zero-point", if you don't then the bridge will be pulled too far one way and you'll never get it in tune without starting over.

Don't mix and match springs either unless you know what you're doing, like having every string tuned to courses of F# and keeping the treble side slack with a soft-bronze custom spring. Basically WEIRD stuff.

Why the 11's to 49's by the way? Sounds like a strange set unless the middle strings are lighter and it's for DADGBD or maybe DADGAD tuning.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Verizian posted:

Why the 11's to 49's by the way? Sounds like a strange set unless the middle strings are lighter and it's for DADGBD or maybe DADGAD tuning.

It's unfortunately for no real reason other than "I'm poo poo at instruments and accidentally picked the wrong gauge"

I'll try my best at the other stuff though, thanks

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How good are the Classic Player Jazzmasters? Can't find one in the shops nearby, but I'm GASing big-time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Xabi posted:

How good are the Classic Player Jazzmasters? Can't find one in the shops nearby, but I'm GASing big-time.
Jazzmaster with a tuneomatic, shorter distance behind the bridge, cheap electronics, and mediocre pickups. Save your money and get the Squier Mascis Jazzmaster instead, same spec with IMO a nicer neck, missing only the locking trem from the cp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

JHVH-1 posted:

I already posted this in the iOS music production thread but anyway.. For anyone with an iOS guitar interface of some sort, BIAS Amps and JamUp Pro XT for IOS are half off this weekend.

Get BIAS it owns

Agrinja posted:

Parkers own. And the only guitar I've ever had feel like that was a 1965 Jaguar. Shoreline gold, beautiful instrument, wonderful action, short scale makin me feel like Superman unnh

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On offsetguitars.com, they're seen as okay guitars, however most people would suggest the Squier JM's instead since they're cheaper and (depending on the model) more vintage accurate.

Even then it's closest relative in under Squier, the J Mascis Signature, it's only downgrade is that it comes in a Basswood body rather than Alder so if it's worth spending an extra $200-$400 for that feature then go for the CP. With that said, the JMJM has a wonderful neck that I wish all of my guitars had, and I think that gold on white is better than cheap tort on 'burst or black.

Ultimately I'd also recommend getting a Squier, I have hardly heard a bad word said about them that wasn't down to just personal preference since the first batches that came out. Get one in a colour you like and spend the money you saved on better electronics and pickups.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ThePutty posted:

It's unfortunately for no real reason other than "I'm poo poo at instruments and accidentally picked the wrong gauge"

I'll try my best at the other stuff though, thanks

You could, alternately, go back to the guitar shop and lay down six bucks for a set of strings the right guage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You could, alternately, go back to the guitar shop and lay down six bucks for a set of strings the right guage.

That makes too much sense.