Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Ariong posted:

Any tips on beating the smelter demon? I can't really put a finger on why I'm having trouble, but it always kills me before I get i get it down to a third of it's health.
Summon a guy who is holding a chime and hold on long enough for him to Lightning Spear the Smelter to death.

edit - or Lucatiel, yeah. She tank every the boss uses with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

neetengie posted:

If you think you can go a long way through Alonne Knights, Captains and those Turtle dudes, skip it. You'll find another bonfire on the way near the last boss of that area anyways.
If you wanna kill him try having a shield that has good Fire resist, maybe coat yourself in Flash Sweat and enchant your weapon with Aromatic Ooze.

After all it's done? Of course I'm killing it!

Graviija posted:

Summon a guy who is holding a chime and hold on long enough for him to Lightning Spear the Smelter to death.

edit - or Lucatiel, yeah. She tank every the boss uses with no problems.

I've tried lightning spears but they barely do 100 damage. I can do twice that with one swing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

What weapon is that? The huge one that you one shot the guy with

If I'm not mistaken it's the Mastodon Halberd.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would you want to skip or cheat one of the funnest fights in the game?

Smelter Demon is tough but you can take a lot of sting out of the fight with flash sweat. Increasing your flame resist prevents the fire aura from doing much. Their are other ways to increase flame resist, but flash sweat is the easiest one that is also very effective. Aside from his aura, you just need to get good at dodging his attacks. He usually only does two hit combos, and his backside is a massive blindspot. If you can get behind him, he won't hit you. His attacks are telegraphed enough though that you should be able to dodge them with practice. He gives you plenty of time to hit him too, but watch out if he keeps his sword in the ground after an attack; he's about to do is huge AOE explosion, so get out of the way.

Really if you negate the DOT it just becomes becomes a straight up brawl that tests your dodging skills.

VVV This would help a lot and is probably the best idea if they absolutely refuse to just make orbs unlimited.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do you think this adjustment would help "fix" the red/blue covenants (if they even need fixing): Participating in the arena gives you one orb, win or lose. Winning the duel gives you two. That change would promote overall usage of the arenas since you get something for even losing, which would go a long way I think.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you should get anything for losing, but if they just made the arena not cost an orb to enter it'd be a lot better for those covenants.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember one specific problem that I had was that I would try to dodge his big sweeping attack, but it just wouldn't work. Like, the dodge animation would still finish and my character wouldn't flinch or get knocked back or anything, but I would lose half my health. In other words, absolutely no feedback on what I did wrong. Too early or too late, too far or too close, nothing. That usually lead to my death.

What is flash sweat?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A pyromancy that increases fire defense. What is you agility? It sounds like your dodge roll just sucks to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do you think this adjustment would help "fix" the red/blue covenants (if they even need fixing): Participating in the arena gives you one orb, win or lose. Winning the duel gives you two. That change would promote overall usage of the arenas since you get something for even losing, which would go a long way I think.

They definitely need fixing, but the Blue Sentinels have a much simpler fix: Remove the Token of Fidelity cost. There's simply no reason for it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

A pyromancy that increases fire defense. What is you agility? It sounds like your dodge roll just sucks to me.

86. I guess I'm finally going back to pick up that pyromancy flame that I missed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ariong posted:

86. I guess I'm finally going back to pick up that pyromancy flame that I missed.

Behold, your problem:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ariong posted:

After all it's done? Of course I'm killing it!

I've tried lightning spears but they barely do 100 damage. I can do twice that with one swing.

Someone didnt upgrade their chime.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's all greek to me. Care to explain?

FrickenMoron posted:

Someone didnt upgrade their chime.

Oh, I had no idea that increased miracle damage. I thought it just increased damage done when used as a weapon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Agility under 95 is pure poo poo if you're ever going to try rolling.

Someone put that in the OP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your agility determines how good your dodge roll is, at 86 you have less invincibility frames. You want about 100 agility. Attunement and Adaptability increase it, the stat that is lower affects it more.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Gonna do my first DS2 playthrough right. Going man mode with dual caestus and underwear. Man mode means punching scrubs into the wall.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fuzz posted:

Yeah that would be nice. The in-game help screen says that agility "Boosts ease of evasion and other actions.", which is quite vague.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ariong posted:

Oh, I had no idea that increased miracle damage. I thought it just increased damage done when used as a weapon.

The agility stat increases your characters speed in actions (rolling, estus sipping, etc), and increases I-frames. It has different breakpoints, if it's under 95 it's pure poo poo, 100 is fine and good, I haven't played with 110 yet but I heard good things about it. If you were able to get this far with just an agility rating of 86 gratz.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Play DS1? At 86 agility, the roll is literally worse than the DS1 fatroll (8 frames of invincibility vs. 9 frames).

Get 100 agility to be in between the DS1 medium and fast rolls (12 iframes). 105 is pretty cool too (13 iframes).

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Ariong posted:

Which is totally fair, given that upgrading Catalysts/Talismans wasn't a thing in Dark Souls. But in DS2 anything that contributes to the Magic/Lightning/Fire/Dark damage of a spell-casting implement increases the damage of spells cast with it. So upgrading works, infusing works (make your chime Lightning if you're casting miracles or Dark for hexes), even weapon buffs supposedly work on stuff like Blue Flame (and Velstadt's thing?).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you should get anything for losing, but if they just made the arena not cost an orb to enter it'd be a lot better for those covenants.

It doesn't cost anything to enter, at least in BoB. You need a token of spite to get into the covenant, but the arena is totally free. The only thing it consumes is time.

Fuzz posted:

No, because its wrong. Low agility is poo poo if you try to roll through an attack. Agility influence i frames, which are what let you completely ignore an attack even when it hits you. If you try to do that with low agility, you're going to get hit unless your timing is dead on. However, you can still dodge away from attacks perfectly fine regardless of your agility. Just having below 70 equip weight is enough to get you the fast roll now, which is what lets you avoid attacks entirely.

Dodging through attacks is useful but you can still beat most bosses without doing it. Smelter Demon's attacks can all be avoided by dodging out of the way. The one thing you can't dodge without a bunch of i frames is his explosion, but that's easy to just walk away from.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

teh_Broseph posted:

Play DS1? At 86 agility, the roll is literally worse than the DS1 fatroll (8 frames of invincibility vs. 9 frames).

Get 100 agility to be in between the DS1 medium and fast rolls (12 iframes). 105 is pretty cool too (13 iframes).

Wow, I thought they just nerfed rolling in this game because it was so useful in 1. Good to know.

Internet Kraken posted:

No, because its wrong. Low agility is poo poo if you try to roll through an attack. Agility influence i frames, which are what let you completely ignore an attack even when it hits you. If you try to do that with low agility, you're going to get hit unless your timing is dead on. However, you can still dodge away from attacks perfectly fine regardless of your agility. Just having below 70 equip weight is enough to get you the fast roll now, which is what lets you avoid attacks entirely.

Dodging through attacks is useful but you can still beat most bosses without doing it. Smelter Demon's attacks can all be avoided by dodging out of the way. The one thing you can't dodge without a bunch of i frames is his explosion, but that's easy to just walk away from.

Yeah, I've been mostly rolling away rather than through. The problem is that the smelter demon's sweeping attack is long and wide, so if I'm a little to close too a wall I just can't roll back far enough. Rolling through it is the best option.

Nibble posted:

Which is totally fair, given that upgrading Catalysts/Talismans wasn't a thing in Dark Souls. But in DS2 anything that contributes to the Magic/Lightning/Fire/Dark damage of a spell-casting implement increases the damage of spells cast with it. So upgrading works, infusing works (make your chime Lightning if you're casting miracles or Dark for hexes), even weapon buffs supposedly work on stuff like Blue Flame (and Velstadt's thing?).

I assume the crazy blacksmith will infuse things once I find his ember?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Word. Agility is not needed whatsoever for PVE and PVP it depends on your style. But then again, maybe your PVE style is to roll through every attack so that it doesn't take you so long to come back and get hits in. :shrug:

v Below is also true. You can roll through attacks with low agi you just need to gitgud.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can roll through poo poo perfectly fine with low Agi. It's just that you're given much less leeway and have to roll precisely rather than relying on a big iframe buffer, and in some situations (namely crowds) you can't afford to just roll your way to victory since you have so few iframes. One of the reasons sl1 is so much fun in this, as opposed to Dks where it wasn't much different than a normal playthrough.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ariong posted:

Yeah, it's in Iron Keep too, so try jumping to certain spots and you'll find it. It's before Smelter Demon.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ariong posted:

Yep. Actually, you can get his ember right now, if you're right before the Smelter Demon. Look around. :ssh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

You assume correct. It's in the area you're in right now in the big room before the Smelter, take a look around and see what comes up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ariong posted:

If you're at Smelter, you already have access to the Ember. You literally have to just turn around from his door and go explore in that direction. Don't bother with the Pharros stone, you don't need it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

neetengie posted:

Yeah, it's in Iron Keep too, so try jumping to certain spots and you'll find it. It's before Smelter Demon.

Is it in a place that will require fire resistance? Also, that reminds me, what is the item that's under the big spout of flame behind the first big set of doors? I picked it up without seeing what it was and I never could find it in my inventory.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ariong posted:

Is it in a place that will require fire resistance? Also, that reminds me, what is the item that's under the big spout of flame behind the first big set of doors? I picked it up without seeing what it was and I never could find it in my inventory.
Nah, you just need to be good at platforming. Also that key was for the door before the Last Giant, that's all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ariong posted:

No, you don't.

And that's a key, as I recall.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ah, good! I was wondering when I would get the key for that door. Cheers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So Old Iron King isn't hard, but I really hate fighting him now as a melee character just because he seems to love spamming that fire breath attack. You can hit him once during it, otherwise you just have to sit back and watch him spit fire. He does it over and over and over. In my last fight he did it 11 times in a row.

Genocyber posted:

You can roll through poo poo perfectly fine with low Agi. It's just that you're given much less leeway and have to roll precisely rather than relying on a big iframe buffer, and in some situations (namely crowds) you can't afford to just roll your way to victory since you have so few iframes. One of the reasons sl1 is so much fun in this, as opposed to Dks where it wasn't much different than a normal playthrough.

Yeah that's what I mean. ADP gives you more i frames which makes it easier to dodge through attacks, but i frames are totally irrelevant if you're not actually trying to dodge into an attack. I think most new players are wary about trying to do that and will instead dodge away from attacks. Which is fine, but investing heavily into ADP is useless if you're not planning on abusing i frames to dodge through a ton of enemy attacks to make fighting them easier. As such, recommending a new player put a lot of points into it is bad advice.

EDIT: Here's a good example of a situation where ADP investment helps.

In Iron Keep you've got Koopa Knights in narrow corridors. When they swing to attack, you've got two options. You can roll backwards to avoid their attack entirely, which is what most people probably do. You can do this easily regardless of how much ADP you have. Your other option is to roll into the Koopa right as he swings his hammer. The hammer hits you, but when timed correct the i frames from the roll cause the attack to do no damage. Having more ADP helps here because you have more i frames to work with. The advantage to dodging into an attack is that you're in a position to attack quickly, as opposed to the player that rolled backwards and has to close the gap again.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 22, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

have blue sentinels be bound to like a blue ring that dr depression gives you, where if you get invaded while wearing it a blue sentinel can get summoned. So then people can be in a different covenant and still receive help from the blue sentinels.
Having the Way of the Blue's functionality tied to a ring you have to wear will only ensure that the Blue Cops will never get summoned. There are plenty of usefull rings to wear instead after all. I know I'd never wear such a ring.
The issue with Way of the Blue is more that people ought to switch to the Way of the Blue when they're not actively engaged in any other covenant's activety. But I reckon most people either don't know they can easily switch covenants without any penalty, or just don't bother.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
EDIT: You're right, my mistake!

Still we need to get an actual loving OP in here and put poo poo like that in it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Congratulations! You are poster #1,000,000 to incorrectly say the Way of Blue ring has anything to do with blue cop summoning! Click here to win a prize!

He's talking about a hypothetical fix for the Way of the Blue, not something that actually exists. Read.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wait, does the iframe thing mean console players dodge for twice as long as I do, relative to the animations, making it easier to dodge through attacks?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

Wait, does the iframe thing mean console players dodge for twice as long as I do, relative to the animations, making it easier to dodge through attacks?

More or less. It means that the window of time during the actual dodge animation where they are invulnerable is twice as long as it is on PC.

e; vvv this is assuming people are correct about iframes being tied directly to framerate, but I wouldn't at all be surprised.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 22, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lemon Curdistan posted:

More or less. It means that the window of time during the actual dodge animation where they are invulnerable is twice as long as it is on PC.

I thought this was unconfirmed in the case of anything other than durability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ice Fist posted:

I thought this was unconfirmed in the case of anything other than durability?

Truth - there has been no evidence that PC players are screwed in anything except durability. Someone put up some data that it appears they doubled it up on PC to fix it, though I don't think there's been a 100% solid thorough explanation/look into it.