Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

A human heart posted:

Brainticket actually rules but you seem to be treating it like you would normal prog rock when it's leaning towards the ambient side of krautrock which might be the problem. Cottonwood Hill is definitely better than the later albums though.

True, a more ambient psychedelic album was not what I was expecting when I bought it based on the description of "concept album about a pharaoh's trip through the afterlife", but that album just isn't good.

But speaking of prog guilty pleasures, pretty much anything by The Tangent. Melodically satisfying, but the lyrics (combined with the singer's voice) just sound like a poor-man's latter days Ian Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Misogynist posted:

The most surreal thing about this album was when Talib Kweli and Norah Jones sampled it and hit #2 on the Billboard album charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMFAfnC36s

Prog samples (especially obscure prog samples) are popular because it's a genre of music that hasn't been mined to death (and doesn't distract the listener by reminding them of another song instead of the song they're listening to).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In that vein, I did a triple take when I was listening to Gentle Giant's debut and realized that Funny Ways was sampled on Madvillainy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

In that vein, I did a triple take when I was listening to Gentle Giant's debut and realized that Funny Ways was sampled on Madvillainy.

That's a great song (both of them are, really) and it's just further proof of how much of a nerdlord Madlib is (other than J Dilla and some Soulquarians stuff, Madlib is the only guy that samples Gentle Giant and he does it pretty regularly)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On an unrelated note, anyone who wants some Mars Volta wannabe action might want to check out the new Closure in Moscow album. They used to be more on the post-hardcore/alt rock end of the spectrum with as many obvious Fall of Troy/Coheed influences as TMV, but they've gone full prog now.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

alnilam posted:

^^^^ this reminds me, here's a fun topic I was thinking of:
What are some of the corniest prog bands that you still can't help but like? In other words, guilty prog pleasures. Because I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get in a mood where I want to listen to the corniest prog I know.

Here do I confess some of my guilty prog pleasures, in artist - album format.
Iluvatar - Children
IQ - Ever
Eloy - lots of Eloy actually
Spocks Beard - V
ELP - do they count as a guilty pleasure? I just never want to listen to them unless I'm in a corny mood.

May think of more as the day goes on, I just thought it'd be a fun discussion topic. Feel free to make fun and/or agree with these, and please list your own.

I would definitely put early Glass Hammer in this category (later Glass Hammer is also awesome, but it's much more well made)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Pink Floyd have had a website with a countdown going that just hit zero. It's nothing special, just a ridiculous 7-disc 1-LP boxset of The Division Bell with a bunch of art prints and poo poo that'll cost too much money.

Ain't even a prog album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't really want to hear 6 discs of material that wasn't good enough for Division Bell. Sorry

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

alnilam posted:

^^^^ this reminds me, here's a fun topic I was thinking of:
What are some of the corniest prog bands that you still can't help but like? In other words, guilty prog pleasures. Because I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get in a mood where I want to listen to the corniest prog I know.

Here do I confess some of my guilty prog pleasures, in artist - album format.
Iluvatar - Children
IQ - Ever
Eloy - lots of Eloy actually
Spocks Beard - V
ELP - do they count as a guilty pleasure? I just never want to listen to them unless I'm in a corny mood.

May think of more as the day goes on, I just thought it'd be a fun discussion topic. Feel free to make fun and/or agree with these, and please list your own.

Pretty much anything any 70s prog band did in the 80s is either a guilty pleasure for me, or something that I just have have to shut off out of embarrassment. It's funny, because I have no problem blasting ELP's Karn Evil 9 for everyone to hear, but find myself turning down Invisible Touch so that no one knows I'm listening to it, even though I like the album.

I went through a Spock's Beard phase, and they were on my guilty pleasure list too for awhile. To the guy that mentioned Hawkwind's "You Shouldn't Do That", wtf? I blast this song loudly and proudly and even played it on my radio show. It kick's rear end.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Pink Floyd have had a website with a countdown going that just hit zero. It's nothing special, just a ridiculous 7-disc 1-LP boxset of The Division Bell with a bunch of art prints and poo poo that'll cost too much money.

Ain't even a prog album.

This seems to be the thing to do nowadays. Peter Gabriel did it with his So box set, King Crimson with their In the Court box set, and I think Pink Floyd did this with The Wall. Division Bell is a strange choice. It's a good album don't get me wrong, but certainly not one I'd pick for a 7 disc box set.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good stuff people, keep it coming!

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Van Der Graf Generator albums are not something to blast at work. My manager said he'd prefer gangsta rap over Hammill!

I am not guilty at all about loving Van der Graaf, I think they're legit awesome. Though I agree I wouldn't blast Van der Graaf at work, but then again I wouldn't blast a lot of prog at work.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I would blast Magma at work, if blasting music in the office was something I did.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would blast Magma at work, if blasting music in the office was something I did.

One time my friends challenged me to a "weird music off" where me and another friend each got 5 pieces to play. I won handily, and Magma was voted as "overall weirdest" because I explained how it's sung in an invented language of a distant planet that humans have gone to after disaster on earth etc etc. When I explained this and how every Magma album is this way, they were all :stare:

I think some of my other choices were something by Ligeti, an excerpt of probably Aumng or some similar weird Can piece, Lieber Hoenig (Neu!).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 20, 2014

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

How's this:

A few years ago, De La Soul sampled "Ritual" from Topographic oceans. I flipped when I heard that. The bouncy "la la la la" that Jon sings after the intro.

e: all I want is the 5.1 mix of Division Bell. I don't want all the extra stuff. Tull already got me with Aqualung, and I don't put this album on that level. Just release the blu ray by itself, people! jeez...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kanye did a terrible sample of 21st century schizoid man.

It's not that it's terribly out of place, it's just very poorly cut/executed. The weird thing is, I know the guy knows how to sample well. Why is this one so bad?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't even like Kanye and I was excited to hear Power when it came out. Then I realized he doesn't use the main riff or even the verses, which could be used to great effect with a good beat. Why bother?

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014
Just heard PH7 by Peter Hammill and love it. I am head over heels with that guy and his work and have been purchasing solo and VDGG albums any chance I can afford 'em.

I love how Hammill sounds like he'd be the stereotypical pompous shithead a la Robert Fripp but all of his lyrical themes and interpretations of life are so modest and humble. Particularly heartwarming is his song "Handicap and Equality" which is simply one of the most humanitarian songs I've ever heard.

He's slowly moving up there with Gabriel as my favorite prog rock singer.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Modest and humble? Isn't "Man-Erg" sung from the point of view of a serial killer?

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014

Seventh Arrow posted:

Modest and humble? Isn't "Man-Erg" sung from the point of view of a serial killer?

A lot of the early VDGG stuff focuses more fantastical stuff, but from Godbluff onward for VDGG and Chameleon onward for Hammill solo, the guy tackles a lot existential and personal issues about being human. In one of my favorites "No More Submariner" I'm pretty sure Hammill is saying that as children our brains give us a feeling of "freedom" that slowly decreases as we get older. As kids we use toys to pretend we're fighting wars and get to be a lot of different occupations but when we're grown we're only allotted a few roles and that's it.

I'm probably unsophisticated but to me that's some pretty deep poo poo, man.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was somewhat put off by Power's samples when it first hit, but I really like it, especially in the album's context.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

alnilam posted:

Kanye did a terrible sample of 21st century schizoid man.

It's not that it's terribly out of place, it's just very poorly cut/executed. The weird thing is, I know the guy knows how to sample well. Why is this one so bad?

It's deliberate.

I don't even like Kanye and I was excited to hear Power when it came out. Then I realized he doesn't use the main riff or even the verses, which could be used to great effect with a good beat. Why bother?

Because that's just not how sampling works.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I think "Power" is a totally decent song, and that sample doesn't bother me. I think a bigger Kanye prog (or Kraut, I guess) misstep is reworking "Sing Swan Song" by CAN into "Drunk and Hot Girls":

"Sing Swan Song" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFr0Ok7mCQk
"Drunk and Hot Girls" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxc_UjtVpsw

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

It's deliberate.

Do you... care to elaborate?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Please don't ask me how I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gp7RANAX3A

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

When I was in the 9th grade, I loved to change guitars and bass in midis to cellos and tuba, and imagine how cool it would be if this band played this song with an orchestra at some point. This mix, though, I don't understand.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ahahahaha, I'm dying.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7k8rutLTY

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Ahahahaha, I'm dying.

I didn't even GET to the sax "solo". Oh my lord.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As hilarious as it is, it's... kind of impressive that someone basically midi'd out the entirety of Schizoid.
Didn't turn out to be a worthwhile endeavour, of course, but it's still an impressive feat. Same with that 8-bit passion play, which is awesome.

fakeedit: omg 5:35 :vince:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

alnilam posted:

As hilarious as it is, it's... kind of impressive that someone basically midi'd out the entirety of Schizoid.
Didn't turn out to be a worthwhile endeavour, of course, but it's still an impressive feat. Same with that 8-bit passion play, which is awesome.

fakeedit: omg 5:35 :vince:

I'm actually really impressed with the drum programming, even the stuff he approximated (I almost typed s/he to not be sexist but let's be honest no women would ever make this) sounds pretty appropriate for the song.

and 6:58 is where it's at. :drat:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

alnilam posted:

Do you... care to elaborate?

I mean I'm not sure what to tell you here, it's blown out and the EQ is cut so it sits in the mix better and the drum fill is there because why not

Noise Machine posted:

I'm actually really impressed with the drum programming, even the stuff he approximated (I almost typed s/he to not be sexist but let's be honest no women would ever make this) sounds pretty appropriate for the song.

and 6:58 is where it's at. :drat:

The drum programming is actually really spot on, lol

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean I'm not sure what to tell you here, it's blown out and the EQ is cut so it sits in the mix better and the drum fill is there because why not

The EQ is fine, I don't think that makes it a good or even skillful sample - the timing and tempo are horribly off from the surrounding music, among other things.

Again, I'm not saying "lol Kanye sucks," in fact I'm all the more confused that the sample is so glaringly bad considering the guy usually knows how to sample pretty well.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Power is a rather gritty song, and I think it's supposed to be a jarring, attention grabbing transition to the chorus.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

I'll clear everyone's brain now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kSJIHtOeY

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You mean depress us. They're like a third of my age and they play better than I ever will.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Allen Wren posted:

You mean depress us. They're like a third of my age and they play better than I ever will.
Being a third your age is really the key. It's easy to practice eight hours a day when you don't have anything else you have to do.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Being a third your age is really the key. It's easy to practice eight hours a day when you don't have anything else you have to do.

I still don't understand how 12 year olds can practise so much to produce a cover of a King Crimson song that is almost indistinguishable from the original. When I was their age I used my eight hours a day outside of school and sleep playing video games.

Ooo, I really should have got Volume 1 of The Collectable King Crimson earlier. I never get tired of their variations on 'Easy Money'.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
If you read the comments, it appears that the kids weren't even a band three weeks prior, and they started rehearsing Schizoid Man just three days before that performance.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

If you read the comments, it appears that the kids weren't even a band three weeks prior, and they started rehearsing Schizoid Man just three days before that performance.

And there's Monday's depression-bomb, too! Thanks, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Misogynist posted:

Practice and build your skills when you're young and then maintain them when you're older and have stuff to do

E: Also those are the School of Rock All-Stars, those kids are pretty much virtuosos who are groomed into tiny Zappa bands in terms of versatility