Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, just because you aren't guilty of something doesn't mean you shouldn't want to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

The compensation scheme bank executives set up for themselves incentivizes them to not give a gently caress about the long-term health of the company as long as the short term income from their huge long term risks allows them to justify paying themselves massive performance bonuses.

Did you just fall off a turnip truck.

https://mises.org/the-turnip-truck

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

absolem posted:

See, now you've entirely misrepresented my stance. Maybe I didn't simplify enough for you-
The government did dumb things, the banks did dumb things, and consumers did dumb things. The dumb things rested on the incorrect ideas that money should be cheap, that everyone should own a home, and that there would always be buyets for products everyone thought were dumb 10 years ago. You can't lay the entire blame on one group and you can't declare anyone that went along with it innocent. Innocents would be consumers that didn't overextend themselves, bankers that recommended against over investment into subprime packages, and government types that didn't push for low rates and higher home ownership. It isn't the fault of the poor, anymore than it is the fault of the rich. The blame lies on a set of individuals and not with groups. Home ownership isn't right for everyone and it isn't safe to assume that a home will be a good investment.

Still waiting to hear how anyone other than the banks is responsible for bundling up the mortgages as securities, fraudulently rating them, and trading on them at a 30:1 leverage ratio. Because that's where the real trouble was and I am very interested to hear how you completely absolve them of any responsibility so you can maintain your worldview

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
So are we providing free jobs to all black people only or are we going for only non-whites and then if poor whites complain we laugh at them and tell them to check their privilege?

Also how do White Hispanics factor into this? And if you're half black do we give you a job or not, or just give you a half-job like flipping burgers and cleaning toilets? Or maybe just a 20 hour per week job?

If I'm a quarter black but three quarters white am I excluded because I still have a majority of privileged blood?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^^
":qq: How come whites don't get to benefit from reparations, too?! :qq:"

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself.

absolem posted:

It isn't the fault of the poor, anymore than it is the fault of the rich. The blame lies on a set of individuals and not with groups.

Really loving weird that there is a 1:1 correlation of people responsible for the financial crisis and people who are rich, isn't it? But naaaah, poor people are just as responsible as rich people! How dare anyone say such nasty things about the glorious job creators.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nutranurse posted:

Seems like, but rather accurate if we can believe TNC's evidence.

Based on the article, while there was/is definitely racially discriminatory policies at all levels and there was at least some collusion in some regional areas, it doesn't sound like it was necessarily a nationwide phenomenon.

Granted, that could be more because there was enough discrimination at one level that discrimination at other levels in a given region wasn't necessary (e.g., racist housing policies in a city keeps black people out, therefore a local white nationalist group doesn't need to develop to further keep them down).

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

I agree that there was a lot of bank-regulator nonsense going on, but you have to think about what banks (or businesses in general want). They want to make as much money as possible. Now, most of the time they realize that that is best accomplished by being cautious, which is why they have all those risk experts and such. However, in this case they managed to be convinced (by themselves and the regulators) that there would always be buyers for these packages, which is patently false. Banks would have been more cautious if they hadn't expected to be saved. The synthetic derivative market is predicated on risk in that all banking is, but putting huge numbers of contracts together in order to achieve some sort of average risk per package that then can obfuscate the scope of the package tends to allow for more risk. Another thing to remember is that most every bank that helped make this mess had people at it who knew this much subprime stuff was a bad idea and said so, just like there were consumers who realized that they couldn't actually afford things that were being sold.

Just one more thing before I go out for a while.

I find the simplest way to look at the bank-consumer relationship as that of an Adult and a Child. Sure there are some stupid adults and some precocious and smart children, but by and large the Adult knows a lot more than the child, and should be the more responsible of the two when it comes to danger. Your typical bank is far, far more financially knowledgable than your typical consumer, most consumers simply trust their bank when they are told something because they are the experts. If you go to the bank to get a mortgage you expect that the bank isn't going to be trying to screw you by putting you into a brutal ARM, or trying to encourage you to buy a house that you can't possibly afford.

I still find it shocking that Mortgage lenders in the states don't have fiduciary duty to their clients like they do in Canada. Blows my loving mind.

quote:

I understand that startlingly few of you know anything about economics and that you probably don't care to learn.

Oh you're just going to get around great here.

As I understand it D&D has several professional economists as part of its regular posters. We also have a ton of people like me who used to be libertarians who know exactly what type of stupidity you qualify as economics. It might behoove you to sit and lurk for a while before declaring how much smarter you are to a forum that has quite simply already heard all your poo poo before.

quote:

Poor people did not cause the financial crisis. You can't go around saying X group is at fault for Y or people with A skin color should pay back people of B skin color for the wrongs done to them. We are individuals and are not guilty of the wrongs of people who look, talk, act, or spend like us.

I can absolutely go around apportioning blame (the financial sector was the primary driver of the great recession).

As for the latter bit, you are still benefiting from the wrongs done to them, and as such should be obligated to help narrow the gap between those who were historically slaves and those who are now merely driven into poverty and horrible conditions by policy and negative stereotyping.

Someone post that "White person is the easiest videogame difficulty" thing will you?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

absolem posted:

I understand that startlingly few of you know anything about economics and that you probably don't care to learn.

Seriously, I don't know a lot about economics but its pretty clear that the whole reason lenders went on a spree of lowering requirements has everything to do with the demand coming from the wrong side of the equation. In other words, banks had an incentive to lower requirements for mortgages NOT because of demand for those buying houses, but for investors looking for bundled mortgages as MBS.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What if we just took Coates's argument to its logical conclusion and gave reparations of various degrees to the families of wage earners?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

computer parts posted:

Based on the article, while there was/is definitely racially discriminatory policies at all levels and there was at least some collusion in some regional areas, it doesn't sound like it was necessarily a nationwide phenomenon.

Granted, that could be more because there was enough discrimination at one level that discrimination at other levels in a given region wasn't necessary (e.g., racist housing policies in a city keeps black people out, therefore a local white nationalist group doesn't need to develop to further keep them down).

He specifically talked about how blacks were excluded from the two major federal programs that encouraged home ownership, not to mention that redlining happened in pretty much every urban area.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

computer parts posted:

it doesn't sound like it was necessarily a nationwide phenomenon.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same essay anymore. What part of that led you to believe this was anything but a nationwide phenomenon?

Caros
May 14, 2008

You fucker. You actually got me with this link. Because of course Mises.org would have a response to the 'you fell off the turnip truck' fallacy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Just one more thing before I go out for a while.

I find the simplest way to look at the bank-consumer relationship as that of an Adult and a Child. Sure there are some stupid adults and some precocious and smart children, but by and large the Adult knows a lot more than the child, and should be the more responsible of the two when it comes to danger. Your typical bank is far, far more financially knowledgable than your typical consumer, most consumers simply trust their bank when they are told something because they are the experts. If you go to the bank to get a mortgage you expect that the bank isn't going to be trying to screw you by putting you into a brutal ARM, or trying to encourage you to buy a house that you can't possibly afford.

That's all great though, because

absolem posted:

It is not immoral to be lucky, to take advantage of asymmetric information, or to use the unpleasant circumstances of others for personal gain.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Really loving weird that there is a 1:1 correlation of people responsible for the financial crisis and people who are rich, isn't it? But naaaah, poor people are just as responsible as rich people! How dare anyone say such nasty things about the glorious job creators.

Everyone was equally impetuous in the run-up to the mortgage crisis and nobody is to blame, which is why to deal with the crisis the US Government spent $2 trillion bailing out only rich people.

The rich got to keep their banks, the poor lost their homes (or had them stolen), but hey we need to spread around the blame to everyone!

Just not the relief money though, that goes solely to the pitiable, put-upon rich.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 22, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I have learned something already. This thread has been an invaluable tool :)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Miltank posted:

What if we just took Coates's argument to its logical conclusion and gave reparations of various degrees to the families of wage earners?

The logical conclusion to TNC's argument is that the federal government research how to set up a reparations programs (which can be anything from monetary to New Deal-type programs) and white America as a whole acknowledge the awful side of this country's past. You're the one who beelines to reparations = lump sum payment, probably because most people would agree that such a lump sum payment would be ineffective towards combating systematic racism in this country and ultimately an empty gesture. Stop being so disingenuous and willfully misrepresenting the essay.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically my take on this is that it's really immoral and horrible that our underclass is defined so strongly along racial/ethnic lines, and I'm in favor of any program that could manage to fix that, but I'm also having trouble with the idea of telling a poor white family "sorry, your specific underclass status isn't part of this particular problem but I'm sure we'll get around to helping you eventually." I do, however, recognize that (a) the reason I'm having trouble with that is that I am a huge loving pussy, and (b) the only way to solve a problem of disproportion is with a disproportionate solution.

This entire post is basically just pointless handwringing but I'd feel a lot better about an America where black people didn't have as lovely a deal as they do now and am in favor of any reparation-like programs that could address it as long as the job of defending that program falls to someone else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mayor Dave posted:

He specifically talked about how blacks were excluded from the two major federal programs that encouraged home ownership, not to mention that redlining happened in pretty much every urban area.

When I say "national" I don't mean "federal programs weren't racist", I mean "there wasn't necessarily collusion between federal and state/local/etc forces in all regions, even if all of those were racist".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Basically my take on this is that it's really immoral and horrible that our underclass is defined so strongly along racial/ethnic lines, and I'm in favor of any program that could manage to fix that, but I'm also having trouble with the idea of telling a poor white family "sorry, your specific underclass status isn't part of this particular problem but I'm sure we'll get around to helping you eventually." I do, however, recognize that (a) the reason I'm having trouble with that is that I am a huge loving pussy, and (b) the only way to solve a problem of disproportion is with a disproportionate solution.

Do you really think we'd get to a United States where addressing racial inequality is palatable without making significant strides towards fixing broader issues of inequality along the way?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

That's all great though, because

absolem posted:

It is not immoral to be lucky, to take advantage of asymmetric information, or to use the unpleasant circumstances of others for personal gain.

No see that's not racist. White people don't take advantage of black people's circumstances because they're black. That would be racist and racism is over. Black people get exploited because their unpleasant circumstances make them vulnerable and that's totally a fine thing to do.

Why are black people in such vulnerable circumstances? Hm I don't know, why are you so obsessed with skin color? Sounds kind of racist to me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

loquacius posted:

This entire post is basically just pointless handwringing but I'd feel a lot better about an America where black people didn't have as lovely a deal as they do now and am in favor of any reparation-like programs that could address it as long as the job of defending that program falls to someone else.

Given that the House wants to make free meal programs rural only I think it balances out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

You fucker. You actually got me with this link. Because of course Mises.org would have a response to the 'you fell off the turnip truck' fallacy.

Oh you're thinking of this.

quote:

New experience can force us to discard or modify inferences we have drawn from previous experience. But no kind of experience can ever force us to discard or modify a priori theorems. They are not derived from experience; they are logically prior to it and cannot be either proved by corroborative experience or disproved by experience to the contrary. We can comprehend action only by means of a priori theorems. Nothing is more clearly an inversion of the truth than the thesis of empiricism that theoretical propositions are arrived at through induction on the basis of a presuppositionless observation of "facts."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

No see that's not racist. White people don't take advantage of black people's circumstances because they're black. That would be racist and racism is over. Black people get exploited because their unpleasant circumstances make them vulnerable and that's totally a fine thing to do.

Why are black people in such vulnerable circumstances? Hm I don't know, why are you so obsessed with skin color? Sounds kind of racist to me.
[/quote]

No, he acknowledged that blacks are statistically far more likely than him to be in positions of poverty, and that he as a white male has a huge advantage of privilege. But it's not his fault that this is the case, and it would be immoral of him to not happily play his hand he was dealt through sheer luck*.

*In this analogy his deck consists entirely of single-suited Jack through Aces, ensuring a royal flush nearly every time, while a black person's deck only has a single card, if that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

quote:

No, he acknowledged that blacks are statistically far more likely than him to be in positions of poverty, and that he as a white male has a huge advantage of privilege. But it's not his fault that this is the case, and it would be immoral of him to not happily play his hand he was dealt through sheer luck*.

*In this analogy his deck consists entirely of single-suited Jack through Aces, ensuring a royal flush nearly every time, while a black person's deck only has a single card, if that.

I'm sorry, but a royal flush is ten to ace, not jack to ace. God.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
It's great when people saunter in and say "oh, it's clear that you know nothing about economics and you don't want to learn :smug:" Actually a lot of us do understand your little quasi-religious pseudoscience.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silvergoose posted:

I'm sorry, but a royal flush is ten to ace, not jack to ace. God.

Goddamnit, I was just going back to edit that and now you've caught me! :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BUSH 2112 posted:

It's great when people saunter in and say "oh, it's clear that you know nothing about economics and you don't want to learn :smug:" Actually a lot of us do understand your little quasi-religious pseudoscience.

Well we must not understand, otherwise we'd agree with them.

I've always loved SMBC's portrayal economists as amoral borderline sociopaths, and we can see that on full display here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Who What Now posted:

Goddamnit, I was just going back to edit that and now you've caught me! :argh:

It bugged me all to hell. :v:

There actually is a variant called royal poker which is played with just ten to ace, but all four suits, played like regular holdem. It's bizarre, the only way for a straight to be the best hand is if the board is exactly a straight. No flushes except royals. Quads and full houses win a lot.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

nutranurse posted:

So are you denying the existence of a White Society, one which has actively colluded on levels ranging from the individual bashing in some black guy's head to the FHA redlining blacks out of equitable housing opportunities, that puts whites before everyone else?

I am not denying that whites are priviliged, in general. I am not denying that coercive and later plain stupid policies were implemented. I am denying that those things mean any person who hasn't acted coercively should be held responsible.

amanasleep posted:

Exactly ... society).

I agree here that the politics of Reparations are toxic. And the same forces that prevent effective Federal fiscal response to the recent financial crisis also have prevented effective reparations by other names.

Effective reparations, in my view, are:

1. Ending mass incarceration. This is the largest single method of continuing oppression. I think that whatever other 3rd way garbage the Obama Admin subscribers to, they are pretty serious about getting at this one. I expect it to be a major issue in 2016. Clemency and sentencing changes are good tools here.
2. Creating economic opportunity. This will be delayed politically until it can be enacted for all Americans. But it cannot be too soon for this. Politically, we need class consciousness to replace race consciousness. Americans banding together by economic status has powerful social desegregation effects.
3. Fixing the mortgage system. Home ownership is economically neutral for the country and subjects us to property bubbles from time to time, but it is a very powerful economic benefit for the lower classes. If we enact powerful antidiscrimination rules into this industry we can do a lot of good.
4. Primary Education Reform. End the community funding of education by local real estate taxes, which is the number one tool of oppression of the lower classes through denial of resources. The Feds could end this problem tomorrow by blanketing the school districts with Federal billions that they didn't have to deathmatch each other for. Education funding should be based on need, and poor and oppressed students have greater needs. Not much to cheer about here, R's and D's both love "education reform" that emphasizes "choice" (read: defunding poor school districts) and "standards" (read: defunding poor school districts) and oh by the way they agree to gently caress all teachers forever. Maybe DeBlasio can get something started as he's the first nationally known D to buck this trend.
5. Higher Ed Financing reform. Already a big national issue with solid D support. I expect big stuff on this in 2016 and cheaper college helps the oppressed more.

As to stuff about raising national consciousness, it's all true but I don't think things will ever go in that order. Oppressed people generally have to fight their way to equality ("fight" in the MLK sense AND the Malcolm X sense - equality movements need their dignified peacemakers to legitimize the movement and their militants to kick people in the rear end and provide contrast). First you get them to release you from bondage, then to stop beating and killing you, then to let you own something and raise your family, then to admire your elites, then to intermarry, then to live and work side by side, then to extend the ladders of opportunity. All the while your home-grown strivers are out there, earning moral legitimacy and pushing back against the continuing reactionaries who want to pull everybody right back down to 1859.

None of this is right. It's wrong and unjust in every step. The only thing that's good about it is the possibility of progress.

The first part of your post is so backasswards that I'm not going to go into it except to say that we are all being coerced.

However, I like the goals you've enumerated a lot, although I'm sure we are diametrically opposed on what should be done to accomplish them. Racism (or any -ism of that sort) is inefficient, and the sooner everyone realizes that it also hurts them, the better of everyone will be.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BUSH 2112 posted:

I went to the kind of college where even the Econ 101 teacher was liberal, and she said something in a lecture once which I think is relevant here. To paraphrase: "I see a lot of students who want to eradicate poverty but think economics is evil. To my eyes that's kind of like wanting to cure cancer but thinking biology is evil." My school's econ department produced a lot of starry-eyed young go-getters creating startups to do stuff like bring solar power to subsaharan Africa etc etc. (It also produced its fair share of douchebag day-traders and Goldman-Sachs employees, of course; can't win 'em all)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

absolem posted:

I am not denying that whites are priviliged, in general. I am not denying that coercive and later plain stupid policies were implemented. I am denying that those things mean any person who hasn't acted coercively should be held responsible.

So we shouldn't hold the society that propagated these coercive and plain stupid policies as responsible? When TNC's making the case for reparations he's not saying individual whites need to abase themselves (poo poo most of the times whites do that it's a self-pitying kind of 'woe is me for being white' kind of thing). You do understand that you are a part of White Society by merit of being born white. The privileges that come with this also means you shoulder the burdens/blame whether you like it or not. Systematic racism sucks and cuts both ways like that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

absolem posted:

The first part of your post is so backasswards that I'm not going to go into it except to say that we are all being coerced

"poo poo, I have no response to your correct identification of how taxation and the money supply work, so I will just condescend to you and pretend that I'm right!"

Still waiting to hear how the poor and the government are responsible for packaging mortgages into securities, fraudulently rating those securities, and trading at 30:1 leverage in what they knew was bad debt.

Also how the government forays into residential housing coerced the banks to do subprime commercial real estate, and how a law that specifically exempted the banks compelled the banks.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Miltank posted:

Why is that the logical conclusion when Coates is quite clear that supposedly race neutral programs have been anything but that in practice. It comes off as an attempt to avoid discussing the effects of centuries of white supremacism just as much as talking about "all forms of racism" instead.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Caros posted:

Again you start in with this horseshit?

You are right insofar as you can say that no group is entirely blameless. The US shouldn't have kept interest rates so low, and some consumers probably should have been better off about their decisions. However, while you can't say anyone is blameless, this truth is in the middle bullshit seems to imply that blame is spread equally, which is just factually untrue.

For starters, consumption was driven by the banks. Once the banks realized this was making them lots and lots of money they began to heavily push home ownership on consumers. Now the reason I blame the banks for this is that unlike your typical consumer, they are far more financially literate. If you are a gardener making 30,000 a year and the citibank comes to you, or sends you a piece of mail and says you can buy a $250,000 home, why wouldn't you take it? This is Citi, the largest bank in the country. If they are offering you a loan clearly you can pay it, because why would a billion dollar bank offer you a bad loan?

Predatory lending was a huge aspect of the crisis, and even in instances where it was not the banks are more responsible simply by dint of being the ones with the knowledge to know that this was stupid. When banks started issuing NINJA (No Income, No Jobs or Assets) loans to anyone with a pulse (or even without) they became the driving factor of the market. At any point the bubble could have been slowed or popped early simply by acting in a responsible manner rather than a feeding frenzy.

And of course you continue to gloss over the securitization chain which was ultimately the driving force responsible for the bubble and for its heinous impact on the world economy. Simply put the banks would never have inflated the home bubble to the extent that they did if they had been regulated in this aspect (which they vehemently opposed). The whole bubble was predicated on the fact that the banks could give a mortgage and then get it off their books within a few weeks instead of a few decades, and the only reason they were capable of doing so was the fraudulent process that gave us Collateralized Debt Obligations and Credit Default Swaps and the like. Talk about these and we might take you even vaguely seriously.

The bottom line really is that banks felt secure doing truly stupid and sometimes downright wrong stuff. Why they felt that way is because 1) Their pay structures were/are hosed up and 2) they thought they'd be protected by the gov't. Its tragic that regulation messes stuff up just enough to start a snowball and when we go full crisis mode the gov't steps in and fixes poo poo by saving the morons. I still maintain that all three axes of stupid were necessary for the crisis, but it is definitely fair to rank the banks as more culpable than consumers (the gov't is just as bad though, for regulating and then saving them).

Fried Chicken posted:

Still waiting to hear how anyone other than the banks is responsible for bundling up the mortgages as securities, fraudulently rating them, and trading on them at a 30:1 leverage ratio. Because that's where the real trouble was and I am very interested to hear how you completely absolve them of any responsibility so you can maintain your worldview

I don't absolve them of responsibility, see above.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Tell us more about the non-aggression principle.

don't hit, use your words

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^^^
":qq: How come whites don't get to benefit from reparations, too?! :qq:"

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself.

There are tons of non-rich people who contributed to the crisis. (see some poor borrowers and a host of middle class gov't employees). Every time I hear the phrase job creators I puke a little. Its so silly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

absolem posted:

we are all being coerced.

No no, I want to hear about this.

Tell me how much better society would be if we abandoned the coercively funded justice system and instead citizens formed voluntary groups to protect the community and enforce social norms against the criminals and undesirables :allears:

[IMG][/IMG]

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

absolem posted:

The bottom line really is that banks felt secure doing truly stupid and sometimes downright wrong stuff. Why they felt that way is because 1) Their pay structures were/are hosed up and 2) they thought they'd be protected by the gov't. Its tragic that regulation messes stuff up just enough to start a snowball and when we go full crisis mode the gov't steps in and fixes poo poo by saving the morons. I still maintain that all three axes of stupid were necessary for the crisis, but it is definitely fair to rank the banks as more culpable than consumers (the gov't is just as bad though, for regulating and then saving them).

I don't absolve them of responsibility, see above
you mean the part above and below where you just declare that the government and poor are responsible as well? Try again champ, with something more than your self proclamations. Explain how the poor and government were responsible for the banks bundling the mortgages into securities, fraudulently rating those securities, and trading on a 30:1 ratio of bad debt

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

nutranurse posted:

The logical conclusion to TNC's argument is that the federal government research how to set up a reparations programs (which can be anything from monetary to New Deal-type programs) and white America as a whole acknowledge the awful side of this country's past. You're the one who beelines to reparations = lump sum payment, probably because most people would agree that such a lump sum payment would be ineffective towards combating systematic racism in this country and ultimately an empty gesture. Stop being so disingenuous and willfully misrepresenting the essay.

One class of society had been hosed over by another class of society and is
put at a distinct disadvantage because of it. This is true of wage earners and doubly true of black wage earners. Literally everyone who thinks about it for five seconds knows that race based reparations are a terrible strategy for attaining social equality.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Fried Chicken posted:

So the logic of the libertarian argument for opposing government on the basis of it being a continuation of violating initial rights applies only when it makes your life easier, and not when it comes to how you are exploiting others?

Not at all, its just that its difficult to figure out what is and is not stolen. Anyone with stolen goods should surrender them as soon as they realize they are not theirs.

Fried Chicken posted:

The Community Reinvestment Act specifically exempted the banks from having to participate, it had nothing to do with commercial real estate (which was a huge part of subprime market), FHLMC didn't get into the subprime business until after the peak of the sales, and absolutely none of this pushed the banks to bundle them into securities, fraudulently rate them, and then over leverage at more than 30:1 on them

The financial crash is separate from what set it off, which was the popping of the housing bubble. It took time for that to move through the system. The Austrian predictions came in 2006-2007. The housing bubble popped in 2005. Seeing the dominos are falling once you knock them over is not useful forecasting.

True, loads of banks acted immorally surrounding the crisis, largely by breaking contracts. However, without recoure to the feds (to be saved) this wouldn't have happened, they would have continued to be cautious.

VitalSigns posted:

Haha.

"White people don't exploit black people anymore!"

"Also, it's totally fine to profit off of the hardships of a marginalized and oppressed group, sorry black people weren't born lucky like me, but I'm not about to stop oppressing them as long as I benefit!"

In the same loving post.

I didn't say whites don't exploit blacks anymore. I did say that groups aren't actual things and that you have to deal with individuals. I also said that a lot of what you probably deem exploitation isn't wrong. It isn't wrong to be lucky, its only wrong to be coercive.

VitalSigns posted:

So when black people are denied jobs or an equal education and the benefits are lavished on white people, that's not a thing we should stop or correct, because it's non-coercive?

I also love how white people suddenly realize coercion is wrong juuuuuuuust when we start talking about redistributing the wealth their families accumulated through coercion.

Fine, let's do this the Libertarian way: come in with an army, confiscate the wealth of the country, distribute it how we please, ban white people from accessing the courts, then wait 80 years and it's all good again because no one alive was old enough to have participated in coercion and that's all in the past. But it's a shame that happened, we know better now. Ah noble Libertarian justice :911:

Its not something that is immoral, is what I've been arguing. It should be corrected because it is inefficient. Not only does it hurt those discriminated against, but it hurts everyone else. I'm not happy about any sort of coercion.

Caros posted:

As for the latter bit, you are still benefiting from the wrongs done to them, and as such should be obligated to help narrow the gap between those who were historically slaves and those who are now merely driven into poverty and horrible conditions by policy and negative stereotyping.

Why? I have done literally nothing wrong (and so have most people).

Jagchosis posted:

Holy gently caress. Incredible.

Here is your analysis:

Step 1: Mortgages to poor people
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Mortgages are a systemic contagion

I would write a rebuttal but your "analysis" has been rebutted by economists and financial experts about as much as "there is no anthropogenic climate change" has been by scientists so whats the point

That isn't my analysis at all. This issue is not about the poor. Stupid people of all income levels tried to buy things they couldn't afford.

TLM3101 posted:

I am seriously going to print this out and frame it on my wall as the clearest loving example of bougie, wanna-be radical and vacuuous pseudo-intellectual drivel. It's almost platonic in its perfection.

Fake edit: Aaaand now you're blaming poor people for the financial crisis. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Still not blaming poor people for the crisis.
Mind telling me how you decide what is moral or not? Because as far as I can tell, coercive acts are the only thing that is immoral.

Fried Chicken posted:

His argument is about the ongoing wrongs, not slavery, so your entire point is contingent on either having not read the essay or having deliberately missed the point.

I didn't claim it was about slavery...
People who have done no wrong should not be punished (or punish themselves).
People who have not acted coercively have done no wrong.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
absolem should have to make reparations to everyone who has read his bad posts even though none of us (i HOPE) have been coerced into reading them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Miltank posted:

One class of society had been hosed over by another class of society and is
put at a distinct disadvantage because of it. This is true of wage earners and doubly true of black wage earners. Literally everyone who thinks about it for five seconds knows that race based reparations are a terrible strategy for attaining social equality.

So you are arguing for color-blind, class-based initiatives?

• Locked thread