Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'd be surprised if it did; I've noticed no difference rolling when comparing ps3 to pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do you deal with the lion warriors? My ranged attacks deal little damage, but they are difficult to melee fight and one-shot me with their axe. I can deal with one, but two aggro on you immediately after you enter their area. I feel silly for asking so many questions lately, but I don't want to spoil myself by looking anything up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Bait attack, roll backstab. Ded.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

How do you deal with the lion warriors? My ranged attacks deal little damage, but they are difficult to melee fight and one-shot me with their axe. I can deal with one, but two aggro on you immediately after you enter their area. I feel silly for asking so many questions lately, but I don't want to spoil myself by looking anything up.

They have a slow attack and only do one swing (usually. They have one other rare attack, but it almost never happens). All you have to do is bait them into swinging and walk back, once the swing finishes hit them and then back away again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Their reach is tiny so you don't even have to roll backwards. Just...step back a little. :effort:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Well, put a ton of hours in to this game over PC and console, never once triggered the explosives near this wall until today, opened up this little secret room, had the cleric starting robes and a pretty rad looking fashion shield.

It's in the building in the dogs area with the three royal swordsman, just before the Pharros Lockstone treasure room in Lost Bastille.

It's nice finding something new occasionally. :unsmith:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If you have two on you and you can't find a safe opening for a backstab, try using a weapon with a really long range and poke them from afar. Or get them next to each other and run right up to them both, to try to make them synchronize their swings. That way you can move in for a hit or two without worrying about the other one immediately swinging.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

david... posted:

Well, put a ton of hours in to this game over PC and console, never once triggered the explosives near this wall until today, opened up this little secret room, had the cleric starting robes and a pretty rad looking fashion shield.

It's in the building in the dogs area with the three royal swordsman, just before the Pharros Lockstone treasure room in Lost Bastille.

Well I'll be damned.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

If you have two on you and you can't find a safe opening for a backstab, try using a weapon with a really long range and poke them from afar. Or get them next to each other and run right up to them both, to try to make them synchronize their swings. That way you can move in for a hit or two without worrying about the other one immediately swinging.

If you have two or more on you then you just get them close to each other, walk towards them and then walk backwards. :effort: You have time for a swing or two after they miss, depending on your weapon. It's the same no matter how many you aggro.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

david... posted:

Gosh, that's really neat. And I'm sorry you went hollow between screenshots 2 and 3. :smith:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

david... posted:

Only time I found that was when a Swordsman swung his Greatsword at me, and it happened to hit the barrels. So far only their swings set off explosive barrels when able.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

neetengie posted:

Only time I found that was when a Swordsman swung his Greatsword at me, and it happened to hit the barrels. So far only their swings set off explosive barrels when able.

Yeah I discovered it by accident on my second run the same way. Some cool items in there, a good staff I think? Maybe not.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

They have a slow attack and only do one swing (usually. They have one other rare attack, but it almost never happens). All you have to do is bait them into swinging and walk back, once the swing finishes hit them and then back away again.

How do you get a hit and and back away in time? If I go in for an attack then I have to roll away or else they'll hit me with the back end of their next attack. By the time I've done that the other one has come over and is covering for the first one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's a very special effect the Desert Sorceress' Top has.

Looking around, the description for the Archdrake shield says the archdrake sect has a terrible secret. I wonder what?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Gosh, that's really neat. And I'm sorry you went hollow between screenshots 2 and 3. :smith:

Fast travelled to see Straid and went to grab a drink, rookie souls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

How do you get a hit and and back away in time? If I go in for an attack then I have to roll away or else they'll hit me with the back end of their next attack. By the time I've done that the other one has come over and is covering for the first one.

Depends on the weapon you're using, some have more of a windup. You can roll back if it works better for you, if you start pulling other lions just get them all bunched up and treat them like you would one on it's own.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ariong posted:

Are you using an Ultra Greatsword or something? If so shuffling behind them for the backstab might be better given how slow your swings are.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Depends on the weapon you're using, some have more of a windup. You can roll back if it works better for you, if you start pulling other lions just get them all bunched up and treat them like you would one on it's own.

When I have one lion on it's own I just bait an attack, go in for the hit, and roll away. When there are multiple, I can't do that without the other killing me. I Also can't go for a backstab for the same reason.

What I want to know is who first noticed that. I looked for myself and the difference is not exactly glaring.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you using an Ultra Greatsword or something? If so shuffling behind them for the backstab might be better given how slow your swings are.

Just a mace.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Like I already said, group them together and they'll work the same as they would if there were one. Walk near them, they'll start an attack, walk back/roll and attack when their attack animation ends. Then get away and do it all again until they die.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Well that's a very special effect the Desert Sorceress' Top has.

Looking around, the description for the Archdrake shield says the archdrake sect has a terrible secret. I wonder what?

Their worshiping a lie.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I think it's more like the effect of a push-up bra rather than literally making boobs bigger.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

Their worshiping a lie.

I mean I wonder what that lie is? Or is it just referring to the ancient dragon not really being a dragon?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I wonder what that lie is? Or is it just referring to the ancient dragon not really being a dragon?

Pretty much it, yeah. If I remember right the Japanese name of the set is the Ancient Dragon set or something like that. It had something to do with dragons anyway, so they either know they're worshiping a false god or, I dunno, skinned Priscilla to make their capes or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Been cutting up people with this character in the Belltower. Practice for future invading, and also just farming chunks. Pretty fun though since people don't expect to see this kind of gear at low levels.

Manikkin claws are fun but feel kind of lovely. They don't do that much damage and even when I manage to get someone into a stunlock, it doesn't seem hard for them to roll out. I'm wondering if maybe a mundane build might actually work I don't know what level the scaling from mundane becomes superior to a regular +10 weapon though.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Depends on the base damage. The manikin claws have pretty poo poo scaling from what I remember so probably at ~15 or so in every stat.

e: 150 base damage turns into 75, so you'd want at least 75 + whatever the bonus you get from scaling is. At ~15 mundane gets you 140, which is probably close

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Raygereio posted:

Having the Way of the Blue's functionality tied to a ring you have to wear will only ensure that the Blue Cops will never get summoned. There are plenty of usefull rings to wear instead after all. I know I'd never wear such a ring.
The issue with Way of the Blue is more that people ought to switch to the Way of the Blue when they're not actively engaged in any other covenant's activety. But I reckon most people either don't know they can easily switch covenants without any penalty, or just don't bother.

if it was a ring and not a covenant people could see that they're being invaded and put the ring on and be all batsignal for blue cops to turn up and help. Having it bound to a covenant is just a huge pain in the rear end as you have to go talk to various npcs to change it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sentinels should just be able to come help anyone that doesn't already have a white phantom or sunbro already, screw the whole idea of the covenant.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I disagree. Having every invasion result in a blue phantom spawning would be obnoxious. Plus it means there is no easy way to opt out of the phantom summoning. Not everyone wants blue boys "protecting" them from invaders. I sure as hell don't.

Way of the Blue should of just had nothing to do with the Sentinels. I've said it before, but the covenant would work a lot better if instead of summoning sentinels it summoned Way of the Blue members. Then the covenant would have an active component and not just be passive invasion insurance. Also it would work against arbiter spirits in addition to wraiths.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's no way to opt out of being invaded without just shutting off the multiplayer entirely either, I don't see why that matters.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In additional to Sentinel help, Way of the Blues can get auto-summoned to assist each other in Ratbro territory and the Belltowers. Eliminate the use white soapstones in the belltowers.

Bam. Instant popularity and rats/bells have to actually put in a little effort.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

In additional to Sentinel help, Way of the Blues can get auto-summoned to assist each other in Ratbro territory and the Belltowers. Eliminate the use white soapstones in the belltowers.

Bam. Instant popularity and rats/bells have to actually put in a little effort.

Bluecop v Ratbro/Bellbro wars would be amazing. Then make it so sometimes instead of bluecops, blood bros can also get thrown in the mix, but they're not on anybody's side.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I found a thing! Take the elevator after the Flexile up, and then hit the switch again while sprinting out of the elevator. Then turn right back around and get on top of the elevator. You'll find a cave in the wall with a free scimitar and repair powder!

Sure it's not much but I ain't ever seen in afore!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I think I figured out my problem with guard break. I can do it all the time outside of a fight, yet always gently caress it up during one. I realized this is because guard break requires you to be standing still. If you are holding the movement key and then quickly mash the guard break combo, it will do a normal attack. If you hold still for a split second and then do the guardbreak, it works every time. Since your pretty much always moving in a fight I was never able to get it to work.

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's no way to opt out of being invaded without just shutting off the multiplayer entirely either, I don't see why that matters.

Its called burning an effigy. Also, invasions aren't the same thing as forced coop. Invasions add challenge to the game, which is why you can't opt out of them. Auto summoning a phantom "helper" does not add challenge. Invasions would be a lot more obnoxious and even less people would be doing them.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Flytrap posted:

I found a thing! Take the elevator after the Flexile up, and then hit the switch again while sprinting out of the elevator. Then turn right back around and get on top of the elevator. You'll find a cave in the wall with a free scimitar and repair powder!

Sure it's not much but I ain't ever seen in afore!

Always try every combination of being under over or inside a lift!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Why the hell would anyone want to burn an effigy over just logging out of steam? :wtc: You get to stay safe from invasions for as long as you like, no matter where you go. Don't use a consumable max HP restorer just for a temporary thing you can replicate by disconnecting from the servers.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 22, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cyberventurer posted:

Why the hell would anyone want to burn an effigy over just logging out of steam? :wtc: You get to stay safe from invasions for as long as you like, no matter where you go. Don't use a consumable max HP restorer just for a temporary thing you can replicate just by disconnecting from the servers.

Well there is one obvious reason: going offline makes you a bitch, burning an effigy does not.

For people without any shame that's a small distinction, but for the rest of us there's a big difference. If you want to be PvP safe for a bit you're supposed to pay the toll. Going offline is getting that benefit without paying the price, which is something a little bitch would do.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Well there is one obvious reason: going offline makes you a bitch, burning an effigy does not.

For people without any shame that's a small distinction, but for the rest of us there's a big difference. If you want to be PvP safe for a bit you're supposed to pay the toll. Going offline is getting that benefit without paying the price, which is something a little bitch would do.

It's true, the endless Shame I Feel Over Videogames when I go offline to fight the Gargoyles keeps me up at night it does.

Hey, when people say that the Zwei sucks now, do they mean that it's not as hilarious as the first game, or that it genuinely sucks rear end now? I've never tried it and I don;t want to get balls deep into a Glencour build only to find out that I picked a lovely weapon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its called burning an effigy. Also, invasions aren't the same thing as forced coop. Invasions add challenge to the game, which is why you can't opt out of them. Auto summoning a phantom "helper" does not add challenge. Invasions would be a lot more obnoxious and even less people would be doing them.

Burning an effigy shuts off multiplayer and is a waste of an item besides when you can just log out. I don't see how not wanting someone to counter invade is at all different from not wanting someone to invade period. Invasions are called as such for a reason.

Chomp8645 posted:

The price is losing out on messages, bloodstains, coop, and the normal phantoms you find.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It's not like your character would know either way how I do it.

I just find invasions frustrating, and I'm not getting bites on my summons anymore, so I just find it easier to play the game offline so I don't have to worry about being arbitrarily hosed with and sent back to the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

It's not like your character would know either way how I do it.

I just find invasions frustrating, and I'm not getting bites on my summons anymore, so I just find it easier to play the game offline so I don't have to worry about being arbitrarily hosed with and sent back to the bonfire.

Join the way of the blue we could use the work :colbert: