Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I did, and I think only one additional person has ever joined since the last time I bitched about it. :( The invader just pulled out double Avelyns once it was no longer a 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

I just find it easier to play the game offline

You realize this is Dark Souls? Making the game easier is kinda contrary to the point of the game itself. I'm sure it would be easier to give yourself infinite health or 99 in every stat or noclip through everything, but you shouldn't do those things either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I would relish a double Avelyner in 2v1. poo poo is hysterically punishable.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Gentleman Owl posted:

You realize this is Dark Souls? Making the game easier is kinda contrary to the point of the game itself. I'm sure it would be easier to give yourself infinite health or 99 in every stat or noclip through everything, but you shouldn't do those things either.

I don't do any of those things either. I just don't see what the big deal is about not wanting to end up hassled by other players. :confused:

It's not like I did this on day 1. I played through the game at least twice fully online already. Despite giving it a chance, invasions are just not enjoyable and detracts from the game for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't do any of those things either. I just don't see what the big deal is about not wanting to end up hassled by other players. :confused:

It's not like I did this on day 1. I played through the game at least twice fully online already. Despite giving it a chance, invasions are just not enjoyable and detracts from the game for me.

You actually got invaded enough for this to be a problem?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Join the way of the blue we could use the work :colbert:

Yeah, this is probably the worst part about people pulling the plug to avoid invasions. There is a whole covenant out there to protect you, and the poor Sentinels can barely find work as it is. Instead of being a big baby and going offline you should just join Way of the Blue. It helps you and it helps the Sentinels.

King of Solomon posted:

You actually got invaded enough for this to be a problem?

Yeah this the other thing that perplexes me. I can't imagine someone getting invaded so often (in NG anyway) that they feel the need to hide offline. Invasions just aren't that common.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
/\Yeah, several minutes later. By then either one of you is dead anyway. They should have tied the bluecops in with the red orbs, calling one in the moment an orb is used. Instead if fishes for people who have already been invaded, making it useless most of the time.

Gentleman Owl posted:

Please, the entire point is to make the game easier, finding strategies and tricks that trivialize the boss. Hell, you mkae the game easier every time you use a weapon.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Other people are the worst, there's no shame in not willingly inviting assholes into your life, Dark Souls is plenty Dark Souls without other players lagging around and being jerks.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

I would relish a double Avelyner in 2v1. poo poo is hysterically punishable.

A dual-avelyn Havel's wearing batstaff backup character has to be The Most Boring™ PvP thing to see these days. Can't forget throwing Santier's in there.

Literally No Originality, No Fun™

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah this the other thing that perplexes me. I can't imagine someone getting invaded so often (in NG anyway) that they feel the need to hide offline. Invasions just aren't that common.

Before I set my SM lower to play with friends, I was getting invaded around once or twice and hour. That's alot. And I'm in NG, too. Granted, I have some sin, but that's just from killing useless and defunct NPCs. :(

Of course, now I have sin from invading the poor plebs in NG, but that's after the fact.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2014

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Yeah. :( Obviously not as much on NG3 because it's not much different, but I still took everything really slowly on my first NG+ to try to watch out for new phantoms and even though I spent most of the game fully hollowed, I was invaded often enough that it just wore on me after a while. Not counting the bell and rat areas because they're supposed to be hyper-invading, but just regular areas. I think I got 4 invasions in Drangleic Castle alone and that was after I sort-of knew my way around.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I see the first Dark Souls is on sale @ Steam. How difficult would it be to jump in taking into account that DS2 is the only game in the series that I've played so far? :blush:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Burning an effigy shuts off multiplayer and is a waste of an item besides when you can just log out. I don't see how not wanting someone to counter invade is at all different from not wanting someone to invade period. Invasions are called as such for a reason.

Invasions spice up the game. If I'm not in way of the blue usually I don't want another guy popping in to help (or I will try and grab a friendly phantom if one is around). If I really don't want to fight I will be in way of the blue and pop chameleon or a silver talisman somewhere hard to find and let the phantoms fight it out. But if it was uncontrollable I wouldn't have the choice. Being offline will spawn npc invasions, burning an effigy will not. The devs clearly want invasions to be part of the game and added things to mitigate them but not remove them totally for people who don't care for them.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Doflamingo posted:

I see the first Dark Souls is on sale @ Steam. How difficult would it be to jump in taking into account that DS2 is the only game in the series that I've played so far? :blush:

No problemo - just grab DSFix (info and links should be in the PC DS1 thread OP) and you're good to go. It's super good!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kaldaris posted:

A dual-avelyn Havel's wearing batstaff backup character has to be The Most Boring™ PvP thing to see these days. Can't forget throwing Santier's in there.

Literally No Originality, No Fun™

Before I set my SM lower to play with friends, I was getting invaded around once or twice and hour. That's alot. And I'm in NG, too. Granted, I have some sin, but that's just from killing useless and defunct NPCs. :(

Of course, now I have sin from invading the poor plebs in NG, but that's after the fact.

Hexers and Santiers Spear users are probably my favorite things to fight because they are invariably loving awful at the game and deserve the punishment they get for their bandwagon hopping terribleness.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

LtSmash posted:

Invasions spice up the game. If I'm not in way of the blue usually I don't want another guy popping in to help (or I will try and grab a friendly phantom if one is around). If I really don't want to fight I will be in way of the blue and pop chameleon or a silver talisman somewhere hard to find and let the phantoms fight it out. But if it was uncontrollable I wouldn't have the choice. Being offline will spawn npc invasions, burning an effigy will not. The devs clearly want invasions to be part of the game and added things to mitigate them but not remove them totally for people who don't care for them.

Who gives a poo poo? The player doesn't find it fun and they have a way to shut it off. What the developer intends means exactly jack poo poo compared to what the player enjoys.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Doflamingo posted:

You're probably going to have to unlearn a few things you learned with Dark Souls 2, but you're more or less good to go. Dark Souls is excellent and has probably the best world-building in the series.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hexers and Santiers Spear users are probably my favorite things to fight because they are invariably loving awful at the game and deserve the punishment they get for their bandwagon hopping terribleness.

I just thought the scythe and black magic made a cool combination :(

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, probably the biggest change you'll have to unlearn is rolling. While locked on you can only dodge in the 4 cardinal directions, as opposed to 2's more free rolling.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

LtSmash posted:

NPC invasions are easy. Human invaders, not as much. Human invaders can become a sort of miniboss where loving it up resets your progress even if you were doing great with the normal enemies.

I've only been invaded once so far and I only didn't mind it because I wasn't actually trying to progress at the time; I was at a bonfire about to head out. If I'd been partway to a boss and had my progress wiped by another player it would be so obnoxious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait, you're not supposed to farm offline invasions?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you have an Xbox 360 and Gold membership, Dark Souls 1 is still free, I think.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doflamingo posted:

I'm gonna go back and actually play Dark Souls now that I've learned to enjoy the gameplay in 2. I tried playing it when it came out but the beginning of the game is so loving unforgiving and horrible if you aren't totally into :darksouls: that it made me pull my hair out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LtSmash posted:

They spice the game up if you enjoy them. I don't. And you literally don't have a choice as it is, that's the point of an invasion! They invaded you, that's what that word means. They also throttled the way your usual invasions work due to the fact that anyone can be invaded. The last two games were far and away better about it because it was a real trade off. You had to be dead to opt out which meant you couldn't summon player phantoms, in Demon's Souls you were out half your health or a quarter and one ring slot and in Dark Souls you couldn't talk to NPCs and were thus locked out of a lot of things. Including the white soapstone and thus multiplayer in general.

The entire point of being invaded in the previous games was to keep the game from being too easy if you summoned in help. Now it's shifted to duels and the special PvP areas, likely due to how popular the Forest Hunters were in the last game. The only reason to use a cracked eye is to catch someone unaware, why should it be different for the blue one? It's not like the host has any say in the matter about the reds either. You want a duel, go duel. Invasions aren't supposed to be fair.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Invaders are scum and must die, I think we can all agree on that

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

and in Dark Souls you couldn't talk to NPCs and were thus locked out of a lot of things. Including the white soapstone and thus multiplayer in general.

You could talk to NPCs just fine while hollowed. I think the only things you missed out on were 5 specific NPC invasion spots (3 of which were just Kirk) and being able to summon. You could still put your own sign down to be summoned by someone else if you were hollow, though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

in Dark Souls you couldn't talk to NPCs and were thus locked out of a lot of things. Including the white soapstone and thus multiplayer in general.

What? Yes you could. There were only two characters who even acknowledged you were hollow, and they just said "whoa, you're hollow."

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I just ran into another player whose eyes were like... spirals? It kinda looked like the mask of the father but he wasn't wearing any helm, it was just his face. I checked out the character creation and I'm absolutely clueless as to how he did this and he's not answering my messages :(

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Apparition posted:

I just ran into another player whose eyes were like... spirals? It kinda looked like the mask of the father but he wasn't wearing any helm, it was just his face. I checked out the character creation and I'm absolutely clueless as to how he did this and he's not answering my messages :(

tattoos

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Darklurker was really easy. Wish I'd been in heirs of the sun sooner though I have 32 tokens of fidelity but need another 19 sunlight medals but sunlight spear. I need to find a better boss than Looking glass knight to summon at for 2.5m soul memory but I'm not that much further through the game

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, probably the biggest change you'll have to unlearn is rolling. While locked on you can only dodge in the 4 cardinal directions, as opposed to 2's more free rolling.

Wait, what? That's not true at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

What? Yes you could. There were only two characters who even acknowledged you were hollow, and they just said "whoa, you're hollow."

I'm like 99% sure Solaire was a phantom you couldn't interact with while hollowed and you had to be alive to get the soapstone. I haven't played Dark Souls in a few years though.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

There wasn't a way to move the tattoo as far as I could see though?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Been cutting up people with this character in the Belltower. Practice for future invading, and also just farming chunks. Pretty fun though since people don't expect to see this kind of gear at low levels.

Manikkin claws are fun but feel kind of lovely. They don't do that much damage and even when I manage to get someone into a stunlock, it doesn't seem hard for them to roll out. I'm wondering if maybe a mundane build might actually work I don't know what level the scaling from mundane becomes superior to a regular +10 weapon though.

What's that helmet, it's cool as hell.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 22, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Wait, what? That's not true at all.

It totally is, I was just playing DS1. You can't just roll diagonally towards them while locked on, you'll just roll forward. Got killed by Havel so many times trying to roll past him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm like 99% sure Solaire was a phantom you couldn't interact with while hollowed and you had to be alive to get the soapstone. I haven't played Dark Souls in a few years though.

You are 100% wrong about this. You can talk to every NPC as either a hollow or a human.

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

Shadow helmet. It drops from the mobs in the NG+ Flexile Sentry fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Look, not everyone wants to be coddled by the blue boys just because big scary phantoms might invade them. I'll gladly fight every invader off on my own. I don't want help from other players. If I did, I would just summon a shade or a phantom. Or stay in Way of the Blue. Letting blue boys go into any world that gets invaded would ruin invasions, both for the invader and people that want to deal with them on their own.

RBA Starblade posted:

Shadow helmet. Be warned, trying to get any piece of the shadow set is a massive pain in the rear end. They are only dropped by two unique enemies that spawn in the Flexile Sentry boss room on NG+.

Apparition posted:

There wasn't a way to move the tattoo as far as I could see though?

Its in the advanced options.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

You are 100% wrong about this. You can talk to every NPC as either a hollow or a human.

My mistake then.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The one lovely WoW cleric will be a real cock to you if you are, but that's the only character I can think of who treats you differently.

Fake edit: No, wait, Lautrec has a throwaway line.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well I finished this game a couple days ago and I'm not sure what to think. I thought it would pretty much obsolete demon's souls and dark souls 1 but it really kind of didn't. The gameplay was no worse but I really hoped that some of the new systems would have changed something. (I haven't tried a character focused on spells yet which I understand is pretty improved so this is just what affected me as a normal weapons user.)

I read about how the combat was supposed to be a lot more active and different, but dual wielding/power stancing never felt like anything but a liability and many of the environments still made rolling incredibly dangerous as opposed to just using a shield, so most of the gameplay was exactly the same as in the first 2 games: strafing around with a shield and then whacking things with a halberd every now and then. I liked the new durability system a lot before I realized durability is incredibly screwy and goes down super fast if your weapon's animation causes it to stay in the enemy's body for more than an instant.

Everything did such absurd amounts of physical damage by the end of the game that armor just felt like a choice between light armor where you die in 1-2 hits or heavy armor where you die in 1-3 hits. Being able to just play fashion souls by the end was nice I guess, but I personally liked a lot of the armors from Dark Souls 1 more for some reason.

The way invasions were changed definitely made the game way less of a headache on NG and I like all the little improvements made to co-op, as well as soul memory making most of my encounters with other players feel way more balanced. But it does kind of make me wary of doing much online stuff. I beat 95% of the game solo so I want to do more online for my second character, probably with the rat team or polizei but it sounds like I'll inevitably get pushed into higher soul memory tiers whether I want to or not if I play online for too long.

I could say a lot about the graphics/world/story too but that would be a lot of complaining for one post. It was a good game overall but I wished a lot of it could be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Shadow helmet. It drops from the mobs in the NG+ Flexile Sentry fight.

Cool, I'll have to go back and grind them.

Also my friend irl was telling me how often he got summoned to the bells at 2 million and it just made me sad because of how it died for me at 800k. He was like no man I couldn't stop invading around then. I wonder what the difference was besides luck.