Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What game exists that I can play on PC that is most like Star Fox 64?

Race the Sun has some similarities. I'd like to hear more suggestions, as well, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EP0qcsOVI

Here's the page on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253030/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Race the Sun is also on Humble Bundle for $1 today. https://www.humblebundle.com/

I've also heard people call Strike Vector, the $10 game in the same Bundle, Star Foxy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What game exists that I can play on PC that is most like Star Fox 64?

Tunnel shooters are a rare breed, especially on PC.

You could emulate Star Fox 64 :haw:

One of the only games I know that does proper tunnel shooting on PC is Star Wars The Old Republic. Its an MMO and you'll have to run around in an MMO to get to the tunnel shooting part, though, so I doubt you'd care. It is free to play now though, and its not horrible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

Tunnel shooters are a rare breed, especially on PC.

You could emulate Star Fox 64 :haw:

One of the only games I know that does proper tunnel shooting on PC is Star Wars The Old Republic. Its an MMO and you'll have to run around in an MMO to get to the tunnel shooting part, though, so I doubt you'd care. It is free to play now though, and its not horrible.

It was actually those missions in SWTOR that made me long for that gameplay. Those missions are kinda awful, though fun the first couple times. Race the Sun seems similar but I actually don't like Star Fox on the SNES. Wasn't there a wii game that had Star Foxy gameplay? It was the sequel to something I think?

Star Fox 64 is just a total package. I love basically everything about it. I'm not even sure if an HD version would need to add anything. Also, to be introduced to the Rumble Pack by way of Star Fox 64 blew so many minds.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 22, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It was actually those missions in SWTOR that made me long for that gameplay. Those missions are kinda awful, though fun the first couple times. Race the Sun seems similar but I actually don't like Star Fox on the SNES. Wasn't there a wii game that had Star Foxy gameplay? It was the sequel to something I think?

Star Fox 64 is just a total package. I love basically everything about it. I'm not even sure if an HD version would need to add anything. Also, to be introduced to the Rumble Pack by way of Star Fox 64 blew so many minds.

Kid Icarus uprising on 3DS is kinda like Starfox, yeah. (Not on Wii)

There's always Star Fox 64 3DS, which is actually awesome. One of the best 3D effect games on 3DS.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

You're thinking of Sin & Punishment, which was an N64 title and is now on the Wii virtual console, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, which is a full blown Wii title.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for a coffee break strategy or simulation game with a few twists:
  • the game runs continually in the background, or time passes slowly within the game. Maybe it checks the system clock to fake the passage of time. It's not turn-based.
  • I can check in infrequently to see how things are going, and make a few tweaks here and there, or even react to a catastrophic situation. Something that requires minor "course correction" than "radical recombination of 1000 interacting systems."
  • low system requirements, to run on an office computer or laptop
  • single player
  • no DRM of any kind, as this will run off of a flash drive that I take with me from place to place

Games that I've played that are like this are Neptune's Kingdom (which is versus only), DEFCON (in 8 hour mode, but has DRM), AI War (slowed way down), SimCity 2000, and OpenTTD. I'm not interested in Dwarf Fortress or anything else that requires continuous babysitting and fiddling. A really slow and automated Elite-like might fill the bill as well, but would still have to be light on resources and DRM-free.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 22, 2014

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
"Virtual Villagers" sounds about right. AFAIK there are 5 parts out right now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

doctorfrog posted:

• the game runs continually in the background, or time passes slowly within the game. Maybe it checks the system clock to fake the passage of time. It's not turn-based.
  • I can check in infrequently to see how things are going, and make a few tweaks here and there, or even react to a catastrophic situation. Something that requires minor "course correction" than "radical recombination of 1000 interacting systems."
  • single player
  • no DRM of any kind, as this will run off of a flash drive that I take with me from place to place

Games that I've played that are like this are Neptune's Kingdom (which is versus only), DEFCON (in 8 hour mode, but has DRM), AI War (slowed way down), SimCity 2000, and OpenTTD. I'm not interested in Dwarf Fortress or anything else that requires continuous babysitting and fiddling. A really slow and automated Elite-like might fill the bill as well, but would still have to be light on resources and DRM-free.

Majesty.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

doctorfrog posted:

• single player

Progress Quest?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

doctorfrog posted:

One of the Creatures games maybe? Admittedly the little blighters are not unlikely to get up to ultimately fatal high jinks when unsupervised, but sometimes things go (fairly) all right and they actually manage to be fruitful and multiply and all that. The games are all available on GOG, though I'm not sure if they'll run off a flash drive.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm looking for a game for Xbox 360, 3DS (or DS), or Mac. I'm pretty burnt out on FPS, but I enjoy fresh ones. I also really enjoy Action RPGs and the Pokemon games. I'm looking for something that's not so-bad-it's-good but a genuinely good game, a good story would be nice but not necessary. I don't really know what I'm looking for, my favorite games of the past generation have been Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, and Fallout New Vegas, but I've enjoyed lots of different games. I'm feeling like the market is dead and I really want a game or two to play over the summer but I don't know where to look. 360 is preferred system.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sandwolf posted:

I'm looking for a game for Xbox 360, 3DS (or DS), or Mac. I'm pretty burnt out on FPS, but I enjoy fresh ones. I also really enjoy Action RPGs and the Pokemon games. I'm looking for something that's not so-bad-it's-good but a genuinely good game, a good story would be nice but not necessary. I don't really know what I'm looking for, my favorite games of the past generation have been Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, and Fallout New Vegas, but I've enjoyed lots of different games. I'm feeling like the market is dead and I really want a game or two to play over the summer but I don't know where to look. 360 is preferred system.

Dishonored is really great. Have you tried it yet?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are there any tactics games in which you play a guerrilla or irregular force fighting against a vastly superior foe using unconventional tactics? I've already played and loved the Commandos series. Anything like that, in which I can face down a huge massively-powerful force and defeat them through guile, subterfuge, and skillful use of the environment, would be awesome.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Robin Hood, and the Jagged Alliance games come to mind. Oh also Desperados; it's a bit slower than the previous two, but much better designed imo.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mister Bates posted:

Are there any tactics games in which you play a guerrilla or irregular force fighting against a vastly superior foe using unconventional tactics? I've already played and loved the Commandos series. Anything like that, in which I can face down a huge massively-powerful force and defeat them through guile, subterfuge, and skillful use of the environment, would be awesome.

You might like the Ghost Recon games, although things like "use of the environment" is more like "smart choice of cover".
You may also like some of the Splinter Cell games - the ones where you spend time setting up a perfect stealth kill using clever positioning and gadgetry, not blazing through a room shooting everything.
Actually Hitman would probably be good too, if Splinter Cell is getting close to the mark. Both of them are just one guy vs the enemy and not so much of a "force", but there's a lot of clever solutions to things.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mister Bates posted:

Some of the Men At War series seems like this, but I've only played little bits of them. This was certainly the vibe I got from the missions I tried.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
So I played Space Funeral... and are there any other games like that, in terms of style?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

In addition to what's already been recommended, Men of War (realtime, mix of large-scale battles and exactly what you describe) and Silent Storm (turn-based) both fit the bill.

Silent Storm additionally has a wide variety of explosives and heavy weapons and extremely detailed destructive building modeling. :getin:

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I need a game like Hellgate London. I need a game with insane amounts of loot (that all appears on the character model), character customization, fast paced, and with rpg style leveling.

PC, Xbox One, PS4, PS Vita, and Wii U are all options.

Hellgate Revival is going to vanish any day now and that void needs something to fill it when it happens.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Mister Bates posted:

Honestly, if you like a good tactics game, I have to second Silent Storm. It's one of those "you should play it, even if you're not a fan of the genre" games. Plus, destructible buildings.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Remote User posted:

Honestly, if you like a good tactics game, I have to second Silent Storm. It's one of those "you should play it, even if you're not a fan of the genre" games. Plus, destructible buildings.

And this conversation reminds me that I was gifted Silent Storm: Sentinels a while ago and I never played it.

I think I know what I'm playing once I finish Geneforge 2.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

In addition to what's already been recommended, Men of War (realtime, mix of large-scale battles and exactly what you describe) and Silent Storm (turn-based) both fit the bill.

Silent Storm additionally has a wide variety of explosives and heavy weapons and extremely detailed destructive building modeling. :getin:

I solo-ed Silent Storm with a scout and it was super fun. You definitely need to turn off the panzerkleins though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I solo-ed Silent Storm with a scout and it was super fun. You definitely need to turn off the panzerkleins though.

I did the same for my second playthrough.

Without turning off PKs. :getin:

I did however find the katana and the secret X-COM laser rifle, both of which have bonkers armour penetration, though

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CappyBottoms posted:

I need a game like Hellgate London. I need a game with insane amounts of loot (that all appears on the character model), character customization, fast paced, and with rpg style leveling.
Borderlands 2 seems like the obvious choice here. Ridiculous amounts of loot, character cosmetics in the form of skins and head models, action gets hectic as gently caress, you have a skill tree to gently caress around with builds.... Basically it's the closest game to Hellgate that I've ever played.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in two types of games:

1.)Interactive Fiction. I loved the Infocom adventures that were still present when I was a kid. Now I understand there's a thriving indie scene turning out great work. What's the best, or what's a good curated resource to find good titles? (Because I am no longer a kid and have a much more restricted time budget).

2.) Rpg/Adventure games with some aspect of base management. I absolutely loved the stronghold management in Neverwinter Nights 2. What I liked about it was you made management decisions and saw how they played out in the storyline. I played Fable 3 too, but the entire game was pretty poor. Are there other games that do this?

I understand both Actraiser and Dark Cloud do, and I'll certainly check them out. But I'm curious about other titles.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in two types of games:

1.)Interactive Fiction. I loved the Infocom adventures that were still present when I was a kid. Now I understand there's a thriving indie scene turning out great work. What's the best, or what's a good curated resource to find good titles? (Because I am no longer a kid and have a much more restricted time budget).

Two excellent sources are the XYZZY Awards and the Interactive Fiction Competition. Picking the "Best ___" winners from the XYZZYs and the top 2-3 games from each ifcomp will get you enough top-notch games to keep you occupied for a good long while.

I can also personally recommend Spider and Web by Andrew Plotkin, Slouching Towards Bedlam by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto, and All Things Devours by half sick of shadows. All of these can be found on ifdb.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

CowboyAndy posted:

So I played Space Funeral... and are there any other games like that, in terms of style?

Goblet Grotto, Murder Dog IV, and pretty much anything else from here.

You could also try OFF, Middens and Bubsy3D.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm almost at the end of the PC port of Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, and I'll soon be looking for another MetroidVania style game because I love trying to get 100% in them. Any genre is welcome. I beat Shadow Complex last year and enjoyed that too, aside from a weak plot/script. 2D isn't essential, but it is preferred. I'd also like something relatively recent.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 26, 2014

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've sunk an ungodly number of hours into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Is there anything else out there that's similar?

• Squad co-op multiplayer
  • PvE
  • Wide variety of viable playstyles
  • Skills that synergize between players

I remember playing Warframe when it first came out because it looked similar, but something about it turned me off, has it improved since launch?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gangringo posted:

I've sunk an ungodly number of hours into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Is there anything else out there that's similar?

• PvE

I remember playing Warframe when it first came out because it looked similar, but something about it turned me off, has it improved since launch?

You could always do TF2 Man vs Machine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gangringo posted:

• PvE

I think it's more or less unique. If there is another game like it around, I'd really love to know.
There must be some kind of singleplayer squad based game like it, I imagine? Anyone?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Warframe is somewhat similar. Free multiplayer game on Steam.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Payday 2, maybe? I know my friends and I keep fuckin up and fighting tons of AI

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was gonna ask if there's a similar sort of game but singleplayer, but I guess what I'd be asking for is a squad-based roguelike. So, uh, is there a squad-based roguelike?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Closest thing is probably the Tom Clancy games.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Closest thing is probably the Tom Clancy games.

ME3 includes space magic, space science attacks, character growth, weapon/class unlocks... it'd be a lot closer to a roguelike than it would to a shooter.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Two Finger posted:

I was gonna ask if there's a similar sort of game but singleplayer, but I guess what I'd be asking for is a squad-based roguelike. So, uh, is there a squad-based roguelike?

Steam Marines sells itself on this exact premise. It's early access on steam, and I'm not sure how much Goons liked it, but reviews of it so far seems mixed.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253630/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I totally forgot to suggest the xcom games. It's farther from being a rogue like but it's perfect squad based single player stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I totally forgot to suggest the xcom games. It's farther from being a rogue like but it's perfect squad based single player stuff.

Nice and cheap on Steam, too. Is there any particular one I should start with? I never played them...