Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I don't see the need for a subtitle. Is there going to be a second Batman v Superman film? Which will need differentiating from this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Goyer and podcast guy's comments betray a lack of interest or respect for the material (which, big shock for Goyer, right?) as much as any underlying misogyny. But it's kind of silly to assume she was created as this sex fantasy when the original run was basically a find-and-replace script edit for dude-Hulk stories (knowing Stan, maybe literally), plus the well-worn cousin clause that they used to defuse the sexual tension with Supergirl/Superman. And the Martian Manhunter comments are like a 12-year old trying to prove he's too grown up for silly kids' comics.

Bottom line, it's the kind of conversation two brosephs have over a beer in the bar, not the kind a screenwriter for a multi-billion dollar franchise based off similar material should put out in a public forum.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The First Avenger kind of rolls off the tongue, parallels The Winter Soldier, and does not sound generic as gently caress.

Like, I'll be honest, World's Finest isn't a great title. But it would have been much better than this.

And it was at least part of an effort to making Thor, Iron Man and Cap into a Marvel Trinity, because a lot of marketing stuff started using terms like "Mighty Avenger" and "Iron Avenger" at the same time.

Madkal posted:

Can be grateful it isn't Cry for Justice.

Maybe together, they can BE justice.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

qntm posted:

I don't see the need for a subtitle. Is there going to be a second Batman v Superman film? Which will need differentiating from this one?

Like I said, they are probably doing it so people start associating it with the Justice League movie. It pretty much screams out "Justice League origin story" right there in the title.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Shoulda taken a page from the recent trend Disney's set and made it Justiced.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well, technically Cinematic Universe Hawkguy is a ronin right now...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I hope this is a photoshop because man I'm really not feeling it.

vvv Thank god. Though I think his sleeveless getup from Avengers is better than the coat up there.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 21, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

AnonSpore posted:

I hope this is a photoshop because man I'm really not feeling it.

It's very much a photoshop and it looks really bad.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

See this face? This is the face of a man whose balls are being scissored off by a seam of sweaty leather.

And that's why superheroes would wear cotton.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Why is Hawkeye dressed as a Cenobite

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Hellraiser box is actually an Infinity Gem.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gaz-L posted:

And the Martian Manhunter comments are like a 12-year old trying to prove he's too grown up for silly kids' comics.

It's the kind of quote that really sums up why Marvel Studios and Disney are so much better this than WB and Sony have been.

Wasn't Martian Manhunter a homicide detective at one point anyway?

Edit: Also, someone please tell me someone in DC's offices heard that podcast and are angry about it. Actively pissing off your fanbase like that never seems like a good idea.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 22, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

We have such sights to show you, all of them involving shooting arrows into things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaz-L posted:

Is Pleasure Toast involved somehow?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirDan3k posted:

We have such sights to show you, all of them involving shooting arrows into things.

And drinking entire pots of coffee.

I realized by using V rather than VS it makes it sound like a court case.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
it's because the movie's full title is "Batman, V and Superman" DC is really going for that anonymous crowd.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Trailer for Kingsman: The Secret Service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45q0lfEHfg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with Mark Strong's accent in that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
James Bond with an ASBO? Okay.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

BigRed0427 posted:

It's the kind of quote that really sums up why Marvel Studios and Disney are so much better this than WB and Sony have been.

Wasn't Martian Manhunter a homicide detective at one point anyway?

Edit: Also, someone please tell me someone in DC's offices heard that podcast and are angry about it. Actively pissing off your fanbase like that never seems like a good idea.

Have you read what comes out of the mouths of DC's writers and editors? They make Goyer look positively enlightened by comparison.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

10/10, would read your crossover fanfic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SlimGoodbody posted:

10/10, would read your crossover fanfic.

I'm waiting for My Little Cenobite -- Sensation is Magic

And to add some real content...

Three Marvel movies at the same time and none of them are awful...who would have thought it?

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DofP was awesome. Right now I'd definitely call it the best X-Men film, though that might just be the post-movie high talking, but absolutely one of the best superhero films I've seen.

It felt like the best parts of First Class and the original two X-films combined, with very few of the flaws. Despite the fact that it had a huge cast and involved loving time travel, it wasn't as messy and oddly paced as First Class (there also weren't any weak links in the cast like January Jones and most of the young X-Men), and it felt much more proficiently made than either X1 and 2. Jennifer Lawrence ruled. Fassbender ruled - probably the best version of Magneto put to film. If I have one major complaint it's that the b-plot with Charles and his powers felt super forced - basically they devoted a lot of time to explaining why he couldn't just end the movie at any point with his mind, and I didn't think McAvoy did a good job of selling why we should care about his problems.

The "current" timeline stuff involving the old cast was definitely waaay in the background, but everyone got a chance to shine, even Storm. What they did with Blink and her powers looked real loving cool.

And then there's Quicksilver. Now, he wasn't a big part of the movie, but his one big scene is probably the highlight of the film. Just really funny and incredibly clever. It's too bad he didn't have a bigger role, but like Charles he would basically be one big "I win" button, given how they established his powers.

Also, the teaser after the credits got everyone pumped as gently caress. I'm looking forward to that. Though I have no idea how they're going to handle the cast and everything going forward.

As expected, the whole film is a giant reset button. It effectively erases/changes the events from all three X-films (and presumably The Wolverine, too) and returns the school to something resembling the status quo of post-X2. They actually gloss over a lot of stuff like why Xavier is still alive, and they ignore the bone claws from the end of The Wolverine. I have no idea what they're going to do, cast-wise, in Apocalypse, but it'd be a shame to lose Fassbender, 'cause he's so goddamn good in that role.

So, yeah, don't want to oversell it, but I liked it a lot.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 22, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm waiting for My Little Cenobite -- Sensation is Magic

And to add some real content...

Three Marvel movies at the same time and none of them are awful...who would have thought it?

Ahem, I see FOUR Marvel movies there. Even if they ruined Godzilla by not having Cranston play the older Dum Dum Dugan.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gaz-L posted:

Ahem, I see FOUR Marvel movies there. Even if they ruined Godzilla by not having Cranston play the older Dum Dum Dugan.

I was debating saying four and then I thought some jerk would ask whether Blue was joining the Avengers...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was debating saying four and then I thought some jerk would ask whether Blue was joining the Avengers...

No Godzilla is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DOFP is now at 92% on RT with almost all the critics having screened it so everyone line up and apologize to me from last week :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

DofP was awesome.

Man that's great to hear. All the last minute stuff certainly got my hopes up and what you said means I'll go into the movie with a lot higher expectations.

Bone claws look silly anyways.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm so angry I vowed to not see it because of Singer, thinking it'd most likely be poo poo anyway. I hope it comes out on Netflix...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

DOFP is now at 92% on RT with almost all the critics having screened it so everyone line up and apologize to me from last week :colbert:

We have since moved on to the next worst movie ever made - Batman v. Superman: Justice Dicksauce.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Trailer for Kingsman: The Secret Service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45q0lfEHfg

Oh, I think I read the first issue of this.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Also, the teaser after the credits got everyone pumped as gently caress. I'm looking forward to that. Though I have no idea how they're going to handle the cast and everything going forward.

What was the post-credits scene? I was too hungry to stick around for it.

quote:

Most of the film is in the past, so it's mostly bone claws.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Man that's great to hear. All the last minute stuff certainly got my hopes up and what you said means I'll go into the movie with a lot higher expectations.

Yeah if he has his bone claws he can not have a nose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Millar sure likes his "normalish dude gets drafted into the ranks of a secret society of badasses" stories doesn't he.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
With an added veneer of British class conflict this time.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I want the movie to have this scene:

i dont get it :downs:

EDIT: nevermind, got it.

Anyway, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Bruce Timm should be the creative consultant for a DC Cinematic Universe.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 22, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Race Realists posted:

i dont get it :downs:

Joker is mocking Luthor for thinking that he is a good guy and killing Superman is actually a good idea.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veotax posted:

What was the post-credits scene? I was too hungry to stick around for it.

En Sabah Nur (human form) in Egypt, building the pyramids with telekinesis while a horde of subjects chant his name. In the background, four horsemen stand watch.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 22, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ok, that sounds pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

X2 got similarly glowing reviews and it didn't blow my hair back so I'll wait to see this one.

• Locked thread