Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, the best way to start is to chose the master key and take the elevator down from firelink. It'll lead you to an area you need the key to unlock, but its a great place with lots of cool loot and fun times to be had :)

Part of that is true :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stokes posted:

Yes. I have seen small orange signs. I'm not sure what it rewards you with though.

It's just a smooth and silky stone like a normal small white soapstone.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a blast with Sunlight Spear. http://gfycat.com/BothTallBactrian :shopkeeper:

> Try rolling

Oh, and stop thinking about the bells.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kazil posted:

It's just a smooth and silky stone like a normal small white soapstone.

Yeah, you need to beat a boss with the white soapstone as a sunbro to get your medal.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a blast with Sunlight Spear. http://gfycat.com/BothTallBactrian :shopkeeper:

> Try rolling

Oh, and stop thinking about the bells.

The bells are stupid and I hate them and the last two Bell Keepers who invaded me both got shoved down that big center hole and died.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God I hate the timing on guard break. It never works online. There is no timing I can push the stick then rb where it will not just punch and get me killed.

e: I didn't know you can't block powerstanced ultra greatswords.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 22, 2014

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Colapops posted:

The bells are stupid and I hate them

You are one of the good ones. Why can't more people be like you? Why can't more people hate the bell, and stay far, far away from it?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

God I hate the timing on guard break. It never works online. There is no timing I can push the stick then rb where it will not just punch and get me killed.

e: I didn't know you can't block powerstanced ultra greatswords.

I used M+KB too and Guard Breaking is one of the hardest things to pull off. :smith: It'd be nice if there was a button I could just press for it, but I can't seem to fangle up an auto-hotkey script for Forwards+R1 (W+Q) without it just doing one or the other.

:EDIT:

Being a fun Red Phantom is hard. People see you and instantly want you dead. The last person to dance around with my trident got a few souls out of it. :unsmith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A player's ghost at a bonfire just walked up to me and bowed. :3:

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I think it's worth repeating that the reason Guard Breaks are impossible to perform is because the increased framerate on PC, meaning the timing is twice as strict as it's intended. Until From releases a patch, you'll want to set the in-game framerate to 30. I followed this guide for Nvidia cards. It works perfectly, and makes guard breaks and lounging attacks way easier!

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Doflamingo posted:

I see the first Dark Souls is on sale @ Steam. How difficult would it be to jump in taking into account that DS2 is the only game in the series that I've played so far? :blush:

You're going to be shocked at how easy it is for you now. The beginning of the game, anyway. Dark Souls is harder than 2.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jordbo posted:

I think it's worth repeating that the reason Guard Breaks are impossible to perform is because the increased framerate on PC, meaning the timing is twice as strict as it's intended. Until From releases a patch, you'll want to set the in-game framerate to 30. I followed this guide for Nvidia cards. It works perfectly, and makes guard breaks and lounging attacks way easier!

I don't know if it's a problem with the method or just 30fps looking so bad but I couldn't hander the visible stuttering...

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jordbo posted:

lounging attacks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much does resonant weapon buff a weapon? A resonant weapon dagger just ruined my poo poo in three pokes.

Also should I just give up on pvp on my chars past 1 million sm? It's 20 to 30 minutes an invader for the bells, 30+ for rats. Is NG+ more lively for bells or rats or mostly just the sentinels?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't have a problem guard breaking, I just try inputting the fwd+R1 at the same time with good success

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Honestly I suspect 2 might actually be the harder game and people think it's easier because they're better at it. You start DS2 a fair bit weaker than you do DS1, and DS2 never quite reaches Anor Londo archers-level bullshit but I think they have more "gently caress you" moments overall to compensate. You also don't get as many O&S, 4 Kings, or Artorias-style roadblocks (the Sentinels are the only one I can think of), although something tells me all that time I spent learning to fight Artorias made me a lot better at dealing with most of DS2's bosses.

Also, the fact that summoning is a million times more accessible and consistent probably has something to do with it too.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Speaking of framerate, I noticed a comment on GeDoSaTo's newest release and googled it, finding this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

That sucks.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

RBA Starblade posted:

How much does resonant weapon buff a weapon? A resonant weapon dagger just ruined my poo poo in three pokes.

Also should I just give up on pvp on my chars past 1 million sm? It's 20 to 30 minutes an invader for the bells, 30+ for rats. Is NG+ more lively for bells or rats or mostly just the sentinels?

It buffs it by an absurdly OP amount. If you sacrifice 2000 souls you get 50% dark damage buff and a +50 dark attack buff on your weapon. If you sacrifice no souls you get a 10% dark buff and then same +50 weapon buff.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

RBA Starblade posted:

All of the weapon buffs apply a flat damage buff to every attack along with a percentage increase to the appropriate elemental damage. That first part of the equation makes them especially good on fast-attacking weapons like a dagger.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think that compared to other spell buffs which give +50 attack buff and a +30% element buff, resonant weapon does +50 and +50% for the cost of 2000 souls and it's duration being shorter.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

RBA Starblade posted:

Uhh... just join the blood covenant and/or dragon covenant, get the signs, and then use them for fast pvp. I'm still finding duels at Iron Keep bridge at 3 million soul memory.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I'm pushing 5m SM in NG and can still find loads of fights at Iron Keep. You're not going to get very many belfry or ratbro hits though, so either toss your sign down on the bridge or prepare to lose a lot of souls repairing your soul ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jamfrost posted:

Uhh... just join the blood covenant and/or dragon covenant, get the signs, and then use them for fast pvp. I'm still finding duels at Iron Keep bridge at 3 million soul memory.

I'm not that far in the game on this char for dragons, and the blood one didn't get me much either (duels have never occurred for me). I'm mostly just using the red soapstone sign now, but the bridge gets a little dull. Hell I've done laps in the belfries waiting for people too and nothing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not that far in the game on this char for dragons, and the blood one didn't get me much either (duels have never occurred for me). I'm mostly just using the red soapstone sign now, but the bridge gets a little dull. Hell I've done laps in the belfries waiting for people too and nothing.

That sounds like you've got some connection problems to be honest, if you're sure that's all good you could munch on some tokens of spite and grab the red string from Titchy Gren.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AndroidHub posted:

That sounds like you've got some connection problems to be honest, if you're sure that's all good you could munch on some tokens of spite and grab the red string from Titchy Gren.

Ding ding ding. 1m SM is not that high for PvP, if he's reached the point where even running laps around the Belfries isn't working then that's a red flag. Something is hosed on his end.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Have any of our resident CE-divers had a chance to look into weapon riposte/backstab values? Knowing which of the various daggers/thrusting swords give the greatest-value backstabs/ripostes is something that would be quite useful.

I had no idea that breaking the hanging jars in Covetous Demon fight made it an even easier boss to cheese.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ding ding ding. 1m SM is not that high for PvP, if he's reached the point where even running laps around the Belfries isn't working then that's a red flag. Something is hosed on his end.

It's not like I have a problem besides the usual when I'm actually doing it. Or in any other pc game. And on new chars if I go to the belfries it's fine and dandy. Not to mention signs working fine.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 22, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Have you restarted your computer or router at all since you started getting this problem? Because sometimes it can be that simple, just a quick restart can fix all kinds of stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AndroidHub posted:

Have you restarted your computer or router at all since you started getting this problem? Because sometimes it can be that simple, just a quick restart can fix all kinds of stuff.

Multiple times. Cox is a piece of poo poo and things drop a lot.

e: I swear it is not possible to hit a human player with an ultra greatsword unless they aren't playing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 22, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just fought a dude named "Wall" who was wearing full havels and fighting with what seemed like a fully upgraded havel shield. poo poo was actually hurting pretty good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh boy oh boy I just got to the Shrine of Amana. This thread's got me looking forward to this area! :dance:

Drangleic castle was pretty fun. The Dragonriders were a sad and pathetic fight, but the Looking Glass Knight made up for it. I was hoping I'd get to fight an invader during it but alas, he only summoned NPCs. I'm thinking of hanging around and doing the red soapstone trick to try and get myself summoned for it.

That room with the Ruin Sentinels is really mean. I was trying to carefully open each door one at a time and fight each sentinel safely by itself, but then the third one knocked me through the floor so I had to start over only now the doors were open. :argh: I got it all done in the end though.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 23, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm thinking of hanging around and doing the red soapstone trick to try and get myself summoned for it.

Do it. Its a lot of fun (for the 50% of the time you don't get instagibbed by two helper phantoms and the host).
move the soapstone sign around every 5 seconds or so to minimize someone summoning you for a duel, and it may just be placebo, but I felt like moving the sign frequently increased my hit rate. You'll also probably be invaded at some point while waiting around.

Did anyone ever confirm if the NG fight can summon players?
I've only gotten summoned into NG+ fights (from NG), but I only ever tried at the very end of NG, and after inflating my SM from a bunch of co-op.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I like being a bellcop because you find more silly/interesting builds doing that than fighting somebody using Dual Avelyn, Bat Staff, or Santier's for the millionth time.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

voltron lion force posted:

Just fought a dude named "Wall" who was wearing full havels and fighting with what seemed like a fully upgraded havel shield. poo poo was actually hurting pretty good.
I would have loved to see that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yaya posted:

I like being a bellcop because you find more silly/interesting builds doing that than fighting somebody using Dual Avelyn, Bat Staff, or Santier's for the millionth time.

Well, I think that ending two and a half hours of not getting summoned to the bell towers more than five times with a soul greatsword that killed me from behind the guy who cast it, a guy with a demon great hammer who swung it twice as fast as I can swing a greatsword, and a guy with a washing pole that took 80 damage from my 400 damage phys/fire weapon and hit me from twice the size of its blade is a great way to cap off Iron Keep pvp. :shepicide:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 23, 2014

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, you need to beat a boss with the white soapstone as a sunbro to get your medal.

Actually, I've gotten the medal just by timing out on the regular size soapstone. It takes a while but you don't need to beat a boss (and I think it's more fun to bro-op through the level instead of fighting the boss over and over).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Hikaki posted:

Actually, I've gotten the medal just by timing out on the regular size soapstone. It takes a while but you don't need to beat a boss (and I think it's more fun to bro-op through the level instead of fighting the boss over and over).

I didn't even know it was possible to time out on the regular soapstone until I helped a guy through the entirety of the wharf and unexpectedly got Duty Fulfilled as we were heading down the dock to the boat.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Well I just found out that the miracle Soul Appease works on rats. In specific, that the Royal Rat Vanguard can be defeated by the following strategy:
1. Walk to center of room.
2. Cast Soul Appease 4 times.

I know other AE strategies work there but seriously, try this, it's like setting off a neutron bomb.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Do ascetic's reset arenas? Like, if I wanted to get 2 copies of the Looking Glass Knight's soul, I wouldn't have to reacquire the key again, right?

Because I suddenly have a burning need to be a Mirror Knight Mirror Squire.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Yaya posted:

Last time I messed with belfries I swore a quarter of the grey spirits were some sort of Mustache Mcfisticuffs.