Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I just had a really funny Belfry Sol fight.

I got summoned on the top floor, and the host was waiting for me on the middle floor. I stood on the stairs and threw a hello carving and acted like I was going to go down. They tried to lunge attack me at the bottom so I backstepped and threw another stone while their animation was still going. They backed up and basically the same exact thing happened again. So then they tried to charge at me up the steps but I just kept backstepping and throwing a hello carving after all their lunges. We end up going up to the top floor, they missed a lunge and I killed them pretty quickly. I rained hello carvings until I got sent back to my world.

also I got my first real red phantom invader, in Huntsman's Copse NG+. I was hoping they'd put up more of a fight since they were using fist weapons but I beat them pretty easily. I gave them an "I'm sorry" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far my attempts at being summoned by LGK have only resulted in being regular summoned by an infinite health hacker with butterfly wings (how do you get those??) who couldn't hit me with lightning and then ran away to the boss door. :geno:

E: Now I got brought in by a guy and two helpers all standing around spamming VERY GOOD :lol:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 23, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

So far my attempts at being summoned by LGK have only resulted in being regular summoned by an infinite health hacker with butterfly wings (how do you get those??) who couldn't hit me with lightning and then ran away to the boss door. :geno:

Ascetic or NG+ Majula armor dude. You'll have to buy some stuff from him first so he'll update his inventory.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Whelp.

I just got invaded by a Red Phantom named BOBO******* or something around there, dunno how many asterisks exactly. I couldn't kill him or damage him at all, he kills me with spammed Resonant Soul nonstop. Hackers are frustrating. I respawn at the Crypt bonfire and my healthbar is suddenly stupidly short. Like, it shrank. Not as in I'm suddenly max hollow, I mean the actual max bar is shortened. I check my status and my SL is still 159 but my Vigor is now 1 instead of 20.

:wtc:

I don't even know what to do now... I'm guessing there's no backup save, and if I quit I'm hosed. This loving sucks.

People are the worst. Watch out if you're invaded and you die to a hacker is all I can say.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fuzz posted:

Whelp.

I just got invaded by a Red Phantom named BOBO******* or something around there, dunno how many asterisks exactly. I couldn't kill him or damage him at all, he kills me with spammed Resonant Soul nonstop. Hackers are frustrating. I respawn at the Crypt bonfire and my healthbar is suddenly stupidly short. Like, it shrank. Not as in I'm suddenly max hollow, I mean the actual max bar is shortened. I check my status and my SL is still 159 but my Vigor is now 1 instead of 20.

I don't even know what to do now... I'm guessing there's no backup save, and if I quit I'm hosed. This loving sucks.

People are the worst. Watch out if you're invaded and you die to a hacker is all I can say.

Ohhhh awesome this is back :ughh:

Logically a Soul Vessel should help with this, since the game should work off your starting class stats and your SL. Whether it ACTUALLY will work is another story, but try a Soul Vessel.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Problem with Soul Vessels is they're super rare to get unless you ascetic farm but even that is very limited.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
...So "Users/<user>/AppData/Roaming/DarkSoulsII/<filename with a bunch of numbers and junk>/DARKSII0000.sl2" is what I want to duplicate to manually backup my save, right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dizz posted:

Problem with Soul Vessels is they're super rare to get unless you ascetic farm but even that is very limited.

There's four or five of them per run of the game. That's more than enough, really.

Unless you're hella hella indecisive I guess.

Edit: Six of them, in fact!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If you're certain your vigor was 20, and you can upload your savefile somewhere, I can probably try to give a crack at unbreaking your health for you.

Assuming the game lets me load up your savefile, but it's worth a shot. :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ohhhh awesome this is back :ughh:

Logically a Soul Vessel should help with this, since the game should work off your starting class stats and your SL. Whether it ACTUALLY will work is another story, but try a Soul Vessel.

Just tried this and now I'm SL1 and have 0 levels to give back, but each next level is still like 35k. I just burned some Hero souls and raised my Vigor... none of my stats increased.

So unbelievably pissed right now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so is there any word on if they're going to put VAC back into this game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What bonfire do I have to ascetic to respawn the chariot?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

What bonfire do I have to ascetic to respawn the chariot?

The one right behind him, next to the bloodbro leader.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Just tried this and now I'm SL1 and have 0 levels to give back, but each next level is still like 35k. I just burned some Hero souls and raised my Vigor... none of my stats increased.

So unbelievably pissed right now.

Well

That's new. I don't believe the old hackers were able to irrevocably gently caress your stats.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box posted:

so is there any word on if they're going to put VAC back into this game

Hahahaha.

I like From Software but every company has weaknesses, and theirs is that they don't have a single iota of ability to deal with cheats. They don't even "get" PC design in general. VAC could get turned on but it's my understanding Steam can't provide anti-cheat measures wholesale for other developers. They have to actually make it themselves and use VAC with it.

I would not expect the cheating to ever go down or be punished. It's a failing of the series that has to be accepted.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Well

That's new. I don't believe the old hackers were able to irrevocably gently caress your stats.

They probably could, it was probably just more fun putting egghead and curse one people. Also killing all the important NPCs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So

Didn't somebody post a DSFix-esque save file backer upper a while back? Cuz that'd be great :v:

Iretep posted:

They probably could, it was probably just more fun putting egghead and curse one people. Also killing all the important NPCs.

Probably.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ariong posted:

Any tips on beating the smelter demon? I can't really put a finger on why I'm having trouble, but it always kills me before I get i get it down to a third of it's health.

If someone didn't say it yet. Gyrm's Greathshield has 100% fire resist which makes him simple.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

So

Didn't somebody post a DSFix-esque save file backer upper a while back? Cuz that'd be great :v:

yeah this would be super handy. having to manually back up the save once in a while sucks.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hey Fuzz, throw your character off the cliff at Majula, then talk to the herald to see what the cost of your next level up is. I'm toying around with it myself and artificially lowered my level a bunch, but the level up requirement didn't change until I suicided. It's possible the game doesn't update some of that stuff until you die.

Like, I changed my vigor from 50 to 1 mid-life, and my HP didn't change. Died, it dropped back down to base. Set it to 50, stayed at base until I died again. Same with the level up requirements (since the game auto-calculated my level as 50 points lower when I subtracted the vigor). Your character might still be salvagable.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fuzz posted:

Whelp.

You can probably (and should), ironically, cheat your way back to where you were before.

That's loving appalling though.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

You can probably (and should), ironically, cheat your way back to where you were before.

be sure you put Steam in offline mode first

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what do I use to fix stuff like that if it ever happens to me? Cheat Engine?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
What a wonderful way to ensure that people will avoid online crap. Sounds an awful lot like this: http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1a3o31/psa_theres_a_glitch_that_can_lower_your/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardboard Box posted:

what do I use to fix stuff like that if it ever happens to me? Cheat Engine?

Yeah. Cheat engine can adjust your total souls, soul memory, and stats. So if you happen to get hosed over by a hacker you can fix it with them, though you probably won't be able to get your exact stats and SM back unfortunately. I mean you can get the right level if you remember it but you can only increase SM by 10,000 soul intervals I think. Better off restoring a backup save if you have one.

I only know this because earlier today while making more red eye orbs I accidentally hit the wrong key and set my character SL 1 to with 1 in all stats :shepicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 23, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cyberventurer posted:

Hey Fuzz, throw your character off the cliff at Majula, then talk to the herald to see what the cost of your next level up is. I'm toying around with it myself and artificially lowered my level a bunch, but the level up requirement didn't change until I suicided. It's possible the game doesn't update some of that stuff until you die.

Like, I changed my vigor from 50 to 1 mid-life, and my HP didn't change. Died, it dropped back down to base. Set it to 50, stayed at base until I died again. Same with the level up requirements (since the game auto-calculated my level as 50 points lower when I subtracted the vigor). Your character might still be salvagable.

I already went scorched earth and deleted the character, starting over now. :smithicide:

The Iron Rose posted:

I had thought to do that, but it was so fucke dup I figure that'd gently caress it more, and I don't want to play with some corrupted save character since I like to PvP. I'd just feel dirty about it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Ouch. Sorry about that, man. :(

I had a friend test out save swapping with me and I wouldn't have been able to load it anyway, so I would have had to walk you step-by-step through Cheat Engine searching, but I don't know if you would have been up for that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I've given up on LGK summoning for today. Maybe I'll be luckier another day.

On another note I'm glad I'm not the only nerd running around this game as a Game of Thrones character. I just sunbroed with a Sandor Clegane, complete with dog helmet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hikaki posted:

Actually, I've gotten the medal just by timing out on the regular size soapstone. It takes a while but you don't need to beat a boss (and I think it's more fun to bro-op through the level instead of fighting the boss over and over).

Huh, didn't know that.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah. Cheat engine can adjust your total souls, soul memory, and stats. So if you happen to get hosed over by a hacker you can fix it with them, though you probably won't be able to get your exact stats and SM back unfortunately. I mean you can get the right level if you remember it but you can only increase SM by 10,000 soul intervals I think. Better off restoring a backup save if you have one.

I only know this because earlier today while making more red eye orbs I accidentally hit the wrong key and set my character SL 1 to with 1 in all stats :shepicide:

Have you considered just making one big save with 99 orbs and just replacing that every time you're about to run out? Seems like it'd take less hassle.

Your soul memory will also always remain in place as well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In my efforts to be an aggressive fish person from the sea in No Man's Wharf, I have discovered the truest form of griefing in this game: Finding someone with a Lucatiel summon about to challenge the boss, and killing Lucatiel.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

2spoopy fashion souls

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 23, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I've given up on LGK summoning for today. Maybe I'll be luckier another day.

Once you're in the 2-3M SM brackets, you should get hits every few minutes, if not faster than that, assuming you want to try it again once you're through most of the game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Control Volume posted:

In my efforts to be an aggressive fish person from the sea in No Man's Wharf, I have discovered the truest form of griefing in this game: Finding someone with a Lucatiel summon about to challenge the boss, and killing Lucatiel.

If you can try to guard break them on the pier and bridges so that they'll fall into lethal water.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

animatorZed posted:

Once you're in the 2-3M SM brackets, you should get hits every few minutes, if not faster than that, assuming you want to try it again once you're through most of the game.

Oh cool. I'm only at 1.8 now so I'll definitely go back later.

The Shrine of Amana is living up to the hype although I've only actually died once so far.... by being grabbed by the Cyclops.

E: Ok gently caress Peculiar Kindalur though.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 23, 2014

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Fashion Souls!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh cool. I'm only at 1.8 now so I'll definitely go back later.

The Shrine of Amana is living up to the hype although I've only actually died once so far.... by being grabbed by the Cyclops.

E: Ok gently caress Peculiar Kindalur though.

I'm bad at the game but my first character had the right sort of build to trivialize most of the Shrine of Amana (except for that gaggle of priests by that one fog door). It's kind of weird to see that it's so notorious, though I suppose people who are more confident in their abilities would prefer to fight like men rather than plinking at frogs from a distance with arrows and spells.

Also, yes, that guy's a dick.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I need to stop making gimmick characters and actually beat the game one of these days.

Consequently I've found the only real use of Immolation is Ratbroing at Pharos. I just stand up there on the ledge or upper floor watching them fight down in the water. While on fire. Comedy happens when they get stomped by toxic rats or the mastodon guys because they're too busy keeping an eye on the burning person who's just sitting there doing nothing.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm SL 120, NG+, SM 2.4M and I am not getting any bites for co-op in Lost Bastille :( Where should I go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Red Crown posted:

I'm SL 120, NG+, SM 2.4M and I am not getting any bites for co-op in Lost Bastille :( Where should I go?

Drangleic castle.