Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the good thing about having the market share that apple does is that no one can say they're abusing a monopoly with one product to benefit another. so the itunes store being the only store on iOS doesnt matter. this is different from microsoft and google

theres no anti trust law about monopolizing the profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

from ben edelman, harvard business school professor and agent of microsoft:

http://www.benedelman.org/news/021314-1.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cremnob posted:

the good thing about having the market share that apple does is that no one can say they're abusing a monopoly with one product to bene
fit another. so the itunes store being the only store on iOS doesnt matter. this is different from microsoft and google

theres no anti trust law about monopolizing the profits

FMguru posted:

apples business model means they, serendipitously, never get close to 100% dominance in anything

they generously leave the low price zero margin stuff for others to squeeze pennies out of

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i think you'll find the playsforsure music store does everything you need it to

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nothing but the smooth pure sound of sony ATRAC files for me tyvm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the sony CONNECT music store suits my needs most completely - or at least it did until 2008 when they shut down the drm servers

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my favorite sony move was the software used to put music on minidiscs, which added their special OpenMG DRM onto creative commons licensed tracks.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/22/california-will-start-granting-licenses-for-driverless-cars-in-september/ CA to start granting licenses to driverless cars in September. If this isn't the Google/Uber endgame, I don't know what is.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what do u mean by end game

pram
Jun 10, 2001
self driving taxis?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

apples business model means they, serendipitously, never get close to 100% dominance in anything

mp3 players? but there are lots of other mp3 players on the market
phones? but there are lots and lots of phones including an entire anroid ecosystem you can embrace if you think ours is too restrictive
computers? hey after a decade of steady growth were closing in on 10% market share
tablets? still tons of tablets available from other manufacturers
subscription media? streaming? settop boxes? still lots of other options, still lots of competition

they generously leave the low price zero margin stuff for others to squeeze pennies out of

this is a pretty cute way to say "it's ok that apple is a colossal failure"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"oh uh yeah we totally meant to not be dominant in any market for more than 4 years. please believe us that this was our strategy all along"
*profits collapse compared to total market* *idiot neckbeards rush to claim WELL THEY HAVE THE HIGHEST PROFIT PER MODEL STEPPING THEREFORE THEYRE STILL THE BEST AND IT TOTALLY DOESNT INDICATE YOUD BE STUPID TO BUY IT*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

Apple is a far worse monopoly than MS ever was.

but lmao like the government is going to do anything about it, they lost the last vestige of interest in trustbusting right in the middle of the MSFT trial.

by all rights, microsoft should have been split into OS, Office and Internet companies. Probably would have been better for them in the long run.

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

scroogle nmaps posted:

my favorite sony move was the software used to put music on minidiscs, which added their special OpenMG DRM onto creative commons licensed tracks.

ahahaha

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

let me know when Google Maps is allowed to respond to Siri voice commands, replace the lock screen, use custom banner notification icons or share data usage between apps

its exactly like standard oil!!!!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Install Windows posted:

this is a pretty cute way to say "it's ok that apple is a colossal failure"

wat.

i don't like apple, but they're far from a horrible colossal failure.

anyway this is the gently caress google thread. why are we talking about apple.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
apple haters are everywhere

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quick, somebody post that android vine

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

quick, somebody post that android vine

search terms for that are abysmal

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://vine.co/v/MgWLMmmwUQQ

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scroogle nmaps posted:

wat.

i don't like apple, but they're far from a horrible colossal failure.

anyway this is the gently caress google thread. why are we talking about apple.

apple is a colossal failure at everything they attempt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install Windows posted:

especially making money

wait no, sorry that's google

apple is bad at spending cash

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/technology/facebook-offers-privacy-checkup-to-all-1-28-billion-users.html

lol

bet moeny that google is scrambling to be more user/privacy friendly for google i/o

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

scroogle nmaps posted:

why are we talking about apple.

because its a thread in yospos

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

especially making money

wait no, sorry that's google

apple is bad at spending cash

google does great at making money, as does microsoft.

apple is a failure that's collapsing in on itself.

yet you'll still be here to defend willingly overpaying for your apple products, weird.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Siri not using google maps can be maddening because apple maps are just all around worse. Like it doesn't know where anything is, I had to loving pull over and open google maps because apple just super insisted there is not a Down to Earth in Aiea.

Also Siri does not ever get names of places in hawaii.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Siri find me a place to eat in Manoa Valley"

"Okay, Here is what i found for 'places to eat in man over vallet'"

*displays bing results with a picture of a vallet giving someone a piggy back"

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

w4m

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

my stock portfolio says otherwise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
telling my broker to short apple worked for me :smugdog:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so everybody's happy, then

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Stereotype posted:

Siri not using google maps can be maddening because apple maps are just all around worse. Like it doesn't know where anything is, I had to loving pull over and open google maps because apple just super insisted there is not a Down to Earth in Aiea.

Also Siri does not ever get names of places in hawaii.
Rich white people who own entire islands in Hawaii can't even pronounce Hawaiian names right, what chance does text to speech have?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

telling my broker to short apple worked for me :smugdog:

trophy-ko sez death to capitalism

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

trophy-ko sez death to capitalism

Inshallah

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hail satan

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579579791562483218

cremnob fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 23, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

in other news, the capital of botswana was renamed to "googletown" in preparation for the arrival of the regional headquarters of an as-yet-unnanounced international data agency

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

Now politicians in France and Germany are seeking to go further. The French government said it would push for a new European law later this year to classify Google and other Web giants like public utilities, forcing them to guarantee access to all of its services like phone operators. In Germany, Economics Minister Sigmar Gabriel advanced the idea of breaking apart Google in a German newspaper this week, though officials acknowledge such a move would require new laws.

"We don't want to become a digital colony of global Internet giants," said French Economy Minister Arnaud Montebourg said at an event to oppose the antitrust deal last week. "It is necessary, indeed urgent, to put in place a framework that guarantees a level playing field" for European companies.

Tech executives respond that the political rhetoric in Europe toward American tech companies amounts to a new kind of digital xenophobia, that could chase away foreign investment. Regulating search engines like public utilities could make them "impossible" to operate, one tech executive said.

lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

b

Vagrancy posted:

according to the information its the major labels who pushed youtube to build this subscription service in the first place, in parallel to the one anroid already has

goog just sees the obvious: the only way getting people to pay actual money has even the slightest chance of working is if the premium featureset applies to every single music video on yt. if there are gaps it undermines the entire premise making it altogether useless at increasing margins/quelling people from ripping music directly out of the videos - the very reasons they wanted it in the first place.

playing rough is the only language the music industry understands

im the shameful whiteknighting of the company being a oval office

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if tech companies implemented and strictly applied meaningful codes of conduct for particular services (advertising, search, etc) instead of having libertarian tantrums whenever the possibility of not being total selfish fuckwits is raised, maybe they could get out in front of this and not have the government come in with hard regulations

• Locked thread