Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Due to my own negligence of my payment coupon expiration and June being a dead month, I get to take FAR 9 days after taking REG. That should be fun!

I'd be worried if my company didn't supply us with Becker. Having Becker is practically cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That's quite a claim--you think it's really that good?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm taking Audit tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how far CPAexcel takes me.

*On June 9th when I get my scores

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Good luck!!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mandalay posted:

That's quite a claim--you think it's really that good?

I think they're very good at recognizing that everyone learns better in different ways and at making sure the best of all methods are available. Like, personally, I just want to watch the lectures and then do practice problems until my eyes ache, and Becker is great at setting that up for me in a way that best prepares me for the test. Getting immediate feedback on wrong answers makes a huge difference for me.

Sure, it's not technically cheating, but it feels that way sometimes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I think they're very good at recognizing that everyone learns better in different ways and at making sure the best of all methods are available. Like, personally, I just want to watch the lectures and then do practice problems until my eyes ache, and Becker is great at setting that up for me in a way that best prepares me for the test. Getting immediate feedback on wrong answers makes a huge difference for me.

Sure, it's not technically cheating, but it feels that way sometimes.

That's what I did, and have done well doing, but Jesus Christ FAR has 10 Becker sections which will be a bitch to do in 9 days.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

That's what I did, and have done well doing, but Jesus Christ FAR has 10 Becker sections which will be a bitch to do in 9 days.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I would only start studying for FAR after taking REG. My plan is to do a section a day of REG starting on June 2. Then when I get through the reg lecture/question sections I'm going to alternate days doing reg review questions and FAR sections. Once I take reg I should only have 2 or 3 sections left in far. Then it'll just be review questions and practice tests the last few days.

I'm not that crazy

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ah, I thought you were taking them in May, not July. That's definitely do-able, but you'll be needing quite a few drinks to cleanse your mind afterwards.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
Audit is the terribly boring part of accounting.

Tax was (is) probably more "fun".

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

rentilius posted:

The planning (and IMO tax controversy) is, the compliance, not so much (but it's not horrible either).

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

rentilius posted:

Audit is the terribly boring part of accounting.

True. Coming from a guy who started out wanting to just audit and now runs a tax practice, the audit part of the job makes you a better tax preparer.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

AbbiTheDog posted:

True. Coming from a guy who started out wanting to just audit and now runs a tax practice, the audit part of the job makes you a better tax preparer.

I enjoy how everyone I've worked with in audit is either hesitant to learn about tax or is completely ignorant about taxes. I don't understand why. It's pretty neat poo poo. I did a year in tax and now I'm a busy season into audit. I like where audit will get me but god drat do I kinda miss having clients that are super happy to see me.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

rentilius posted:

but god drat do I kinda miss having clients that are super happy to see me.

This.... this was a thing???

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

This.... this was a thing???

I'm fairly junior in a tax practice and one of my clients sent me chocolates for Christmas because I helped her negotiate an audit. Client's like their tax people....

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Everyone really knows that the internal/advisory/risk assurance/every firm calls it something different side of the audit is where it's at. On my internship I was at the office as long as my senior and manager were and averaged maybe 50-55 hours throughout busy season.

Passed AUD, that makes me 4/4 on the exam part, now I just have to survive the working world.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

congrats buddy :)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Congrats!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Congratulations! Hopefully you have some time between now and your start date so you can enjoy the summer!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You could just audit taxes and enjoy the best* of both worlds :smuggo:

*the worst, and guaranteed no one is every happy to hear from you :nsa:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Congratulations! Hopefully you have some time between now and your start date so you can enjoy the summer!

For sure. From social media it seems like every person in my graduating class is either currently in or going to Europe this summer, so I'll see a familiar face or two, even in a big city like London.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

rentilius posted:

I enjoy how everyone I've worked with in audit is either hesitant to learn about tax or is completely ignorant about taxes. I don't understand why. It's pretty neat poo poo. I did a year in tax and now I'm a busy season into audit. I like where audit will get me but god drat do I kinda miss having clients that are super happy to see me.

I have practiced in tax for a while now. I have enjoyed it a lot. No it is not for everyone but it can be rewarding. And for what it is worth I would say that the people that I have had the honor of working with/for are the best part of the job.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
I took part 2 of the CMA exam yesterday. If I went the rest of my life without having a question involving the time value of money for the rest of my life, I would die a happy man.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Could you price that feeling in 5 years?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Harry posted:

Could you price that feeling in 5 years?

Is that the terminal value? :v:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Before I get in over my head, will passing the CPA examinations help me get a job as a 30 something with no professional work experience but a short internship at a CPA firm and a month working for the feds before I got fired.

Assume I have the education requirements and nothing on my record but a few misdemeanors and bad credit from a long time ago.

Basically, down the road I am 6 or 7 months of experience short of becoming a CPA, can it be done?

e; I live in Ohio

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'd imagine that in the short term getting fired from the last CPA firm might hurt you more than not having a CPA.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'd imagine that in the short term getting fired from the last CPA firm might hurt you more than not having a CPA.

I'm not sure I'd list the feds stint on my resume.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Every job I've gotten an offer from has, at some point during their due diligence, asked me for an employment history. I don't know if you could really leave that off of it...

My point is this, CPA will help you long term but in the short term you've got bigger red flags than not having a CPA.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The internship didn't result in a job offer, that is all. As far as the job with the government the reason I got fired won't matter because I remember the paperwork saying that since I was in my 1st year probationary period they wouldn't make a record of the reason I got fired. Either way, the reason was BS, part my fault, part theirs.

As far as in the short term, even a job at H&R Block would have a CPA who could sign off on my experience forms, right?

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 29, 2014

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Every job I've gotten an offer from has, at some point during their due diligence, asked me for an employment history. I don't know if you could really leave that off of it...

My point is this, CPA will help you long term but in the short term you've got bigger red flags than not having a CPA.

True. But getting fired from a government job, after one month, looks awful.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
While were talking fairy tales, if I won the Elijah Watts Sells Award would I be good come next March?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Michael Corleone posted:

The internship didn't result in a job offer, that is all. As far as the job with the government the reason I got fired won't matter because I remember the paperwork saying that since I was in my 1st year probationary period they wouldn't make a record of the reason I got fired. Either way, the reason was BS, part my fault, part theirs.

As far as in the short term, even a job at H&R Block would have a CPA who could sign off on my experience forms, right?
You might be able to get away with not putting the government job on your resume. That looks really bad...

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Michael Corleone posted:

As far as the job with the government the reason I got fired won't matter because I remember the paperwork saying that since I was in my 1st year probationary period they wouldn't make a record of the reason I got fired. Either way, the reason was BS, part my fault, part theirs.

I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but how did you get fired from a government job so quickly? And what position was it?

This is an education thing for the thread, not ripping into you.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Do you think there's some permanent record of jobs or something?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but how did you get fired from a government job so quickly? And what position was it?

This is an education thing for the thread, not ripping into you.

I've heard of precisely one person not getting a job offer after an internship and apparently he sexually harassed someone on the job. Getting fired from a government job after a month too?

I don't even understand what you'd have to do to accomplish BOTH of those

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Harry posted:

Do you think there's some permanent record of jobs or something?

It may be hard to verify but if he's caught it sure as hell would complicate things, especially if he's planning on pursuing a license that can be revoked for ethical reasons.

Some jobs also require you to fill out your employment history and submit it to an agency like FINRA, which I believe if you falsify your employment history would mean, at best, removal from the practice.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Good Citizen posted:

I've heard of precisely one person not getting a job offer after an internship.

You have now heard of two. Mine was simple however, I got the internship my sophomore year. I just graduated and am going through the fun apply process again.

Edit: Speaking of applications. Does every HR person go on vacation on the same week at firms? I've been getting auto-vacation messages from about 80% of them.

himurak fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 3, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

It may be hard to verify but if he's caught it sure as hell would complicate things, especially if he's planning on pursuing a license that can be revoked for ethical reasons.

Some jobs also require you to fill out your employment history and submit it to an agency like FINRA, which I believe if you falsify your employment history would mean, at best, removal from the practice.

A resume isn't a signed document stating this was every job he's ever had. Nobody expects that either.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I wasn't talking specifically about a resume, but while we're on the subject yes I think people do expect honesty on a resume. Makes me wonder how your firm is run...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I wasn't talking specifically about a resume, but while we're on the subject yes I think people do expect honesty on a resume. Makes me wonder how your firm is run...
I leave 2/3 my jobs off my résumé... Why would I include things from my prior career or retail?? Does that make my résumé dishonest? None of the résumé editors have thought so, including HR people from my company as well as my school...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 3, 2014