Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please, please let this mean a Chord reprint Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

UberJew posted:

More than 5 combined P/T? Whoa that can't be a human soldier gotta be a catperson or an elf to do that guys.

Anthousa, Setessan Hero is 4/5 and stronger than any Minotaur or Cat in Theros block. A 12/12 Human would have been different. The only 12/12s are a hundred feet tall.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Applebees posted:

Anthousa, Setessan Hero is 4/5 and stronger than any Minotaur or Cat in Theros block. A 12/12 Human would have been different. The only 12/12s are a hundred feet tall.

Or flip cards that start off as an egg.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Prism posted:

Using my power of squinting real hard, I got this. I might be off.

Shadowcloak Vampire
4B (I think)
Creature - Vampire
Pay 2 life: Shadowcloak Vampire gains flying until end of turn.
4/3

Cruel Sadist
B
Creature - Human Assassin
B, T, Pay 1 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on Cruel Sadist.
1B, T, remove X +1/+1 counters from Cruel Sadist: Cruel Sadist deals X damage to target creature.
1/1

Triplicate Spirits
4WW (I think)
Sorcery
Convoke
Put three 1/1 white Spirit creatures with flying onto the battlefield.

Flesh to Dust
2BB
Instant
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

Seraph of the Masses
5WW
Creature - Angel
Convoke
Flying
Seraph of the Masses's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures you control.
*/*

I believe Flesh to Dust costs 3BB, when they took it out of the deck in the video it reduced the count of "5"s in the deck by one.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Convoke might make Inspired worth a drat? Nahhhh...

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Convoke might make Inspired worth a drat? Nahhhh...

We've seen seven cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does Convoke cause the tapping of creatures to target them?

Because Heroic would like that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

a dozen swans posted:

We've seen seven cards.

Sue me for wanting to find some use for all my Pain Seers :v:

Count Bleck posted:

Does Convoke cause the tapping of creatures to target them?

Because Heroic would like that.

No, it's not a spell.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Applebees posted:

Incorrect! Any human can become a 12/12 simply by lifting enough weights. Clearly Hercules just isn't as swole as he's made out to be. :pseudo:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

No, it's not a spell.
specifically, * Convoke allows you to tap creatures in lieu of paying mana as part of casting a spell. You first determine the total cost to cast the spell, including any additional or alternative costs, as normal. Then, for each colored mana in that total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. Similarly, for each generic mana in that total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.

Does not target.
code:
5/7/2012: * This is the timeshifted version of Torture.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 23, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Everblight posted:

code:
5/7/2012: * This is the timeshifted version of Torture.

I can't believe I had to check.

e: VVV it's still a full mana cheaper than Sip of Hemlock!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kabanaw posted:

I believe Flesh to Dust costs 3BB, when they took it out of the deck in the video it reduced the count of "5"s in the deck by one.

Could be. I was having trouble reading the shot in the thread and I didn't watch the video. 3BB seems a little expensive, though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Flesh to Dust is removal for limited. Such cards often overcosted intentionally in order to make removal not always auto high picks. Here's a list of other cards from the video: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/559095-dotp-2015-video

Also, I'm guessing that in addition to supporting convoke that all the token stuff is part of the groundwork for Tarkir block and it will encourage tokens and/or going wide with your creatures generally.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Play G/W, play a mirror entity and ramp until ALL of your creatures are 12/12 humans. What's the problem?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

whydirt posted:

Also, I'm guessing that in addition to supporting convoke that all the token stuff is part of the groundwork for Tarkir block and it will encourage tokens and/or going wide with your creatures generally.

That'd be neat--follow the (ostensibly) all-in aura block with a token swarm block. Too bad that aside from the hexproof decks (which turn very heavily on RTR and core set cards), aura voltron hasn't really taken hold in constructed, which means that actually having the two types go head-to-head in this hypothetical Theros/Tarkir standard probably isn't likely. But who knows!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Resolute Archangel 5WW
Creature - Angel (R)
Flying
When Resolute Archangel enters the battlefield, if your life total is lower than your starting life total, it becomes your starting life total.
4/4
gently caress standard forever, I was really enjoying 20 life meaning something.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Control decks are going to love that angel.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

bhsman posted:

Decks in 40 life formats are going to love that angel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That vampire looks more like a 4/1 than a 4/3 to me. It being so fragile is also why you'd be paying life to fly it past opposing blockers and stuff.

I don't think the angel means a huge amount - I mean yeah it basically seals the deal as control against aggro, on the other hand it's goddamn seven mana. All it really means is that you get to move onto the next game once they've beaten you instead of waiting around in the vain hope that you topdeck that last burn spell and they don't have a counter until they actually find their win condition.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 23, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Everblight posted:

gently caress standard forever, I was really enjoying 20 life meaning something.

Play it, bounce it out with oblivion ring or something, use a card that drains a lot of your own life and bust it back out when you need it?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's lame that the blue tokens are squids instead of krakens, octopus, or serpents. Way to pre-nerf Whelming Wave, Wizards! :argh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

change my name posted:

Play it, bounce it out with oblivion ring or something, use a card that drains a lot of your own life and bust it back out when you need it?

Just pitch it and whip it back whenever you need to stabilize, get back to 20 for 2BB.

It'll be fun to use in super standard with pack rat, I guess, mono black can underworld connections for days, you don't even need to use plains.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Everblight posted:

You seem to be implying this card will see play in any meaningful capacity, when it comes down 3 turns too late to matter against the decks you'd most have it in your deck for.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

As a 7-mana sorcery speed creature, Resolute Archangel is probably too slow to be useful (but even that isn't a given depending on what else comes between now and Khans of Tarkir!). The question is whether it will be able to be reanimated (or whipped as suggested) or cheated into play.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

JerryLee posted:

Incorrect! Any human can become a 12/12 simply by lifting enough weights. Clearly Hercules just isn't as swole as he's made out to be. :pseudo:

This card is an amazing mystery to me, flavor-wise. Okay, so it's a dude who did a bunch of curls on just one arm, so that one arm got swole as gently caress. So far, so good. Then you notice the human in the lower left and realize it's a (formerly) scrawny, weakling giant doing the curls.

And what's the human's story? Is that his rock? Why does he want the rock back badly enough to disturb an exercising giant? Or - and this is what I've chosen to believe - is he the giant's spotter?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hopping Ghost posted:

This card is an amazing mystery to me, flavor-wise. Okay, so it's a dude who did a bunch of curls on just one arm, so that one arm got swole as gently caress. So far, so good. Then you notice the human in the lower left and realize it's a (formerly) scrawny, weakling giant doing the curls.

And what's the human's story? Is that his rock? Why does he want the rock back badly enough to disturb an exercising giant? Or - and this is what I've chosen to believe - is he the giant's spotter?

Someone in the comments pointed it out, he's holding up 3 fingers; so yeah, he is spotting the giant.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

change my name posted:

Someone in the comments pointed it out, he's holding up 3 fingers; so yeah, he is spotting the giant.

Oh, dang, yeah, that's a lot easier to see on a larger scan of the card than the one on Gatherer. Amazing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You seem to be implying this card will see play in any meaningful capacity, when it comes down 3 turns too late to matter against the decks you'd most have it in your deck for.

Yeah, that's not a card that scares me very much. It costs too much to worry me and control decks are rarely racing you to 0 such that this card would matter much.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's not like having a spotter for bicep curls would be the least sensical thing about that concept.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

As a 7-mana sorcery speed creature, Resolute Archangel is probably too slow to be useful (but even that isn't a given depending on what else comes between now and Khans of Tarkir!). The question is whether it will be able to be reanimated (or whipped as suggested) or cheated into play.

Aetherling was played frequently as a 7 mana creature. With it rotating, there's no way in hell this thing won't be seeing play. Fuuuuuuck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

That vampire looks more like a 4/1 than a 4/3 to me.

Oh god the vampire is secretly giant solifuge :gonk:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

whydirt posted:

If the convoke cards like Raise the Alarm and the new Convoke Spectral Procession are anything to go by, chumping to turn 7 will be the way of the world come September.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Aetherling was played frequently as a 7 mana creature. With it rotating, there's no way in hell this thing won't be seeing play. Fuuuuuuck.

Aetherling was a 7 mana creature that was nearly untouchable by conventional removal, could alter power and toughness, and be completely unblockable. With Aetherling, you had a single turn before the game was taken almost entirely out of reach after it was resolved. It was a solid win condition against the aggro decks, but it really shone against the midrange and control decks.

With this, you have a 4/4 flier and your life total is reset. It's only relevant against aggro, and if you drop it against either of the other two they will just laugh and laugh that you dropped that down against them as they kill it and resume attacking your life total.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So I guess this is a cycle that all works the same:

Soul of Ravnica

4UU
Flying

3UU: Draw a card for each color among permanents you control.

3UU, Exile Soul of Ravnica from your graveyard: Draw a card for each color among permanents you control.

6/6

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

With this, you have a 4/4 flier and your life total is reset. It's only relevant against aggro, and if you drop it against either of the other two they will just laugh and laugh that you dropped that down against them as they kill it and resume attacking your life total.
:eng101: Sometimes white decks also pack removal! It's possible - however unlikely - that a Wx control deck could exist in the future. A deck that, just maybe, trades early life while building mana, then plays one of several "sweeper" cards, such as Day of Judgment, to 'control' the flow of the game. A deck like that might - just might, mind you - want to get out of burn range/win a life total race with a creature that presents an evasive threat while putting the game out of reach from midrange decks.

Crazy concept I know, when has Wx Control ever been a thing, huh?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

A Soul of Kamigawa would be a sweet namedrop since we're not going there as a full set. Soul of New Phyrexia could be kinda neat too.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

A Soul of Kamigawa would be a sweet namedrop since we're not going there as a full set. Soul of New Phyrexia could be kinda neat too.

If I had to guess:

Blue - Ravnica
Green - Zendikar
White - Mirrodin
Red - :frogsiren: Tarkir :frogsiren:
Black - Innistrad

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also there was some talk that WotC might phase out landwalk as an evergreen ability since it didn't show up at all in Theros (and it's kind of a lame form of evasion and probably not worth the overhead), but the squid tokens from that video have islandwalk.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Full Vintage Masters spoiler (I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
They put fetches in!

The tapped ones.

• Locked thread