Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

2spoopy fashion souls

Skeletor! everyone looks way cooler then me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Iretep posted:

Drangleic castle.

Well, so much for that. This soul memory system really sucks.

Did anyone ever figure out if the backstab/riposte critical bonus applies to all daggers or just thrusting ones?

e: Seriously, ugh. I spent tons of souls on weapons that worked for me in NG that are now mediocre at best in NG+ (DEX), so my low SL but high, poorly used SM means the early game is really loving me up.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 23, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgnklB8Ays

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red Crown posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if the backstab/riposte critical bonus applies to all daggers or just thrusting ones?

e: Seriously, ugh. I spent tons of souls on weapons that worked for me in NG that are now mediocre at best in NG+ (DEX), so my low SL but high, poorly used SM means the early game is really loving me up.

To be fair man, at 2.4 million soul memory you have been seriously dragging rear end if you haven't knocked out all four of the Great Souls. :v:

Edit: Wait, you're at 2.4 million in NG+? Oh that's not that big a deal then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok the Demon of Song is goddamn hilarious. My new favorite boss.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

2spoopy fashion souls

How's the butcher's cleaver in PVP?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Red Crown posted:

2.4m in NG+ is kinda low actually. There just might no be anyone there at that low of a SM.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Azzents posted:

How's the butcher's cleaver in PVP?

It's amazing for PvP.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
I just...I don't understand parries anymore. I don't get why different weapons begin the parry and different times and I don't understand what the windows are. I assume it starts when your endurance is drained but I still can't catch another player's swings. Fists/rapiers/twinblades are just impossible to react parry so basically you have to predict so much farther ahead than in DS1 and I still cannot parry a single thing.

I also can't lock down anyone who just chooses to take to the defense and roll constantly. I know their vulnerable frames are there and they have to slow down when they drain their endurance but it's not enough. I end up burning more endurance running after them or attempt to throw sorceries after them which are often easily dodged. This behavior would often just mean an easy backstab in DS1 but they seem just much more unreliable. I mean I rather like not simply fishing for backstabs but why aren't you penalized with a fat roll or no roll if you drain your stamina, just like how sprinting is?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

zipzilchzero posted:

I just...I don't understand parries anymore. I don't get why different weapons begin the parry and different times and I don't understand what the windows are. I assume it starts when your endurance is drained but I still can't catch another player's swings. Fists/rapiers/twinblades are just impossible to react parry so basically you have to predict so much farther ahead than in DS1 and I still cannot parry a single thing.

I also can't lock down anyone who just chooses to take to the defense and roll constantly. I know their vulnerable frames are there and they have to slow down when they drain their endurance but it's not enough. I end up burning more endurance running after them or attempt to throw sorceries after them which are often easily dodged. This behavior would often just mean an easy backstab in DS1 but they seem just much more unreliable. I mean I rather like not simply fishing for backstabs but why aren't you penalized with a fat roll or no roll if you drain your stamina, just like how sprinting is?

Get a Monastery Scimitar and never look back friend.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Been playing through as a high strength guy, I hit 40 and I remembered some folks saying 40 was a soft cap for stats, what should I be focusing on next If I plan to speak softly and carry a giant sword/hammer?

Also, it's pronounced sess-tuhs, sess as in dress and tuhs as in bus. I drat near popped a blood vessel while watching a pvp video of some guy saying kaiestos.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

axelsoar posted:

Been playing through as a high strength guy, I hit 40 and I remembered some folks saying 40 was a soft cap for stats, what should I be focusing on next If I plan to speak softly and carry a giant sword/hammer?

Also, it's pronounced sess-tuhs, sess as in dress and tuhs as in bus. I drat near popped a blood vessel while watching a pvp video of some guy saying kaiestos.
It turns out 50 is the softcap for a good amount (Str, Dex, Fai, Int etc), the console OP should have a pastebin showing all the caps of every stat.

It can't be helped man, that's just the world we live in :shrug:

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

argondamn posted:

Get a Monastery Scimitar and never look back friend.

Any curved sword will do, like a Falchion. They share the same animation.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Get health. If you can be oneshot by anything other than a super-ultra crit with a mega-knife you're doing heavy weapons wrong.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

axelsoar posted:

Up your vigor for big chunks of health or adaptability for better iframes in your rolls.

Sess-ths is the correct pronunciation.

Sleazoid posted:

Any curved sword will do, like a Falchion. They share the same animation.

The Monastery Scimitar has near instant parry frames, meaning there's no delay between hitting the button and your parry going through.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What are some good poking weapons? I have tried the Defender Greatsword and even the Grand Lance but their ranges feel too small. I like rushing in and smacking people and pushing the attack but all of the moves I have are very short and feel very ineffective except when my opponent fucks up really bad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Decrepus posted:

What are some good poking weapons? I have tried the Defender Greatsword and even the Grand Lance but their ranges feel too small. I like rushing in and smacking people and pushing the attack but all of the moves I have are very short and feel very ineffective except when my opponent fucks up really bad.

Ricard's Rapier?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Ricard's Rapier?
This is a great suggestion. If you want, poison infuse it.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Azzents posted:

The Monastery Scimitar has near instant parry frames, meaning there's no delay between hitting the button and your parry going through.

Oh, just the monastary scimitar? I thought all the curved swords shared that trait. I should grab one of those things.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Sleazoid posted:

Oh, just the monastary scimitar? I thought all the curved swords shared that trait. I should grab one of those things.

It's not 100% proven but there's a marked difference between the Monastery Scimitar compared to other curved swords.

Taken from the wiki;

Oddly, this weapon is much better at parrying compared to other Curved Swords. The general consensus seems to be that this weapon's parry frames start the instant you parry; there is no almost delay, if any. In addition, there may actually be more parry frames overall. Regardless of whether or not testing is needed to prove some of these things, the difference in the ability to successfully parry someone is quite obvious, and is far from placebo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sleazoid posted:

Monastery Scimitar is basically 0 frames of startup. The other curved swords are like ~2 frames or so.

If it helps, Vageta311 has messed around with some parry frame stuff, and that's where I'm getting this info from.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.

Azzents posted:

Yeah. I noticed curved swords catching my attacks most often. Guess I'll join the crowd!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

axelsoar posted:

I think it's Latin, so he may have been pronouncing it correctly. That doesn't mean he doesn't sound like poof, though.

It's like how Caesar can be pronounced as either "see-zer" or "kai-zar" and both are acceptable, the only difference being how much of a pretentious windbag you are.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm looking for a weapon to put +10 into. At this point in my play through it's a pretty heavy investment of the poo poo I have but I need a good strong weapon. I have the heide knight +5 right now, and a bastard sword at +4 but it seems like the claymore is just straight up better, however I just found it and haven't upgraded it yet. I also have the drangelic sword(but need more dex and strength, do most people put 20 into dex?) and most of the other poo poo you pick up by the time you're at iron keep/black gulch/shaded ruins. Also, does a weapon have to be at +10 to infuse with a boltstone? How does this work exactly?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trilin posted:

Have you considered just making one big save with 99 orbs and just replacing that every time you're about to run out? Seems like it'd take less hassle.

Your soul memory will also always remain in place as well.

It isn't really a hassle to replace orbs. You can clone 99 in your inventory and 99 in an item box, which last a long time. As for SM, I don't mind going up in SM as I invade. It gives some sense of progression, which makes it more rewarding. Plus it takes hundreds of invasions to go up a significant number of SM brackets, and I'm not being dumped into the land of Satiner's Havelyn so I don't mind fighting higher level people.

Been doing some crow invasions today. Getting the hang of fighting with claws. Not as bad as I originally thought. Not great by any means but definitely more usable than the normal claws or, god forbid, the work hook. Nobody has tried to bribe Snuggly with warm or soft items yet though. Maybe its because she looks intimidating as a red phantom.

I spent the last 10 minutes in prolonged fight with a guy named Kefka. Used nothing but magic and hexes, dressed in jester's robe and with full face paint. Almost made me feel bad about fighting like a cheap rear end in a top hat and retreating to warmth several times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm looking for a weapon to put +10 into. At this point in my play through it's a pretty heavy investment of the poo poo I have but I need a good strong weapon. I have the heide knight +5 right now, and a bastard sword at +4 but it seems like the claymore is just straight up better, however I just found it and haven't upgraded it yet. I also have the drangelic sword(but need more dex and strength, do most people put 20 into dex?) and most of the other poo poo you pick up by the time you're at iron keep/black gulch/shaded ruins. Also, does a weapon have to be at +10 to infuse with a boltstone? How does this work exactly?

You can infuse at any time, it's independent of the upgrade system (and yes you can infuse special weapons too). The Fire Longsword in the FoFG is an imbued weapon and you upgrade it with regular titanite, for example. Also just about any weapon with decent durability will do for PvE, you only have to worry about specific weapons if you're doing something special or are PvPing.

I used to worry about what weapon to use, then someone pointed out that a lot of enemies have heavy armor, which means they're weak to Strike, so I started looking into the humble old Mace. I was doing craploads more damage with a +7 Mace than a +10 Heide Knight Sword against most tough enemies.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

You can infuse a weapon at any point, being +10 isn't needed. The Large Club is a great str weapon, same with the Drakekeeper Hammer. What are your stats/build.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fuzz posted:

People are the worst. Watch out if you're invaded and you die to a hacker is all I can say.

Wow. I can't believe FROM left an exploit like that in "again". I will laugh if it is the same Soulsucker effect.

Maybe VAC is back on Monday. Server maintenance and all.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

neetengie posted:

You can infuse a weapon at any point, being +10 isn't needed. The Large Club is a great str weapon, same with the Drakekeeper Hammer. What are your stats/build.

My build is a strength/faith, which are at 20/22 at the moment(SL90) but I have a fair amount of points in end and vigor?(the one that increases equip load) as well as 10 attunement and 24 adp for 100 agility. Pumping dex right now which is at 15 or 16.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

My build is a strength/faith, which are at 20/22 at the moment(SL90) but I have a fair amount of points in end and vigor?(the one that increases equip load) as well as 10 attunement and 24 adp for 100 agility. Pumping dex right now which is at 15 or 16.

What's your goal for either? And is Faith just a secondary or is Lightning your main boss damage dealer?

EDIT:

AndroidHub posted:

At least that's the only time I've ever heard it pronounced that way in english.

How much of an effect does the scaling from in and faith actually affect pyromancy? is it a huge leap if you have 30 in each stat as opposed to 10 for instance? I really kind of wish they had made the regular flame scale with something other than the same things all other casting mediums use, like maybe attunement and adaptability or something, oh well.

Yeah, proper Latin is kinda weird to us English speakers.

Fire Bonus scaling is not as important as just pumping Fire Seeds into your flame. I find upgrading casting implements to be the most important thing for spell damage, with stats mostly being about requirements.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's like how Caesar can be pronounced as either "see-zer" or "kai-zar" and both are acceptable, the only difference being how much of a post-apocalyptic slaver you are.

At least that's the only time I've ever heard it pronounced that way in english.

How much of an effect does the scaling from in and faith actually affect pyromancy? is it a huge leap if you have 30 in each stat as opposed to 10 for instance? I really kind of wish they had made the regular flame scale with something other than the same things all other casting mediums use, like maybe attunement and adaptability or something, oh well.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

axelsoar posted:

if you're pure melee and satisfied with your HP and equip burden and everything then you can either put points into ADP until your agility is at least 100 for more iframes when dodging or put points into DEX to take advantage of the extra scaling since a lot of endgame weapons have decent scaling in both. DEX scaling kinda sucks but more damage is more damage.

neetengie posted:

It turns out 50 is the softcap for a good amount (Str, Dex, Fai, Int etc), the console OP should have a pastebin showing all the caps of every stat.

It can't be helped man, that's just the world we live in :shrug:

people put the soft caps for those at 40 because after that the diminishing returns up to 50 aren't worth the point investment unless you want to use something with requirements that high.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 23, 2014

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Got my first dual invisible powerstanced avalyn fight today.
I hate your dammned arena FROM, please just give me a red eye orb.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tallgeese posted:

Wow. I can't believe FROM left an exploit like that in "again". I will laugh if it is the same Soulsucker effect.

Maybe VAC is back on Monday. Server maintenance and all.

There is no vac in ds2 because there is no anti cheat to link it to

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just won an invasion without doing a damned thing. Dropped down into the baskilisk pit in shaded ruins just in time to see the host get murdered by Ornifex :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cardboard Box posted:

if you're pure melee and satisfied with your HP and equip burden and everything then you can either put points into ADP until your agility is at least 100 for more iframes when dodging or put points into DEX to take advantage of the extra scaling since a lot of endgame weapons have decent scaling in both. DEX scaling kinda sucks but more damage is more damage.

people put the soft caps for those at 40 because after that the diminishing returns up to 50 aren't worth the point investment unless you want to use something with requirements that high.

Not to mention, the most your max stat will be for ATK will be 200 so unless you are going crazy with using S ranks weapon, not really worth pumping than more to 40. Besides, if it's a 50 STR requirement?

Might as well double hand it. guarantee that weapon is slow so might as well go all out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Not to mention, the most your max stat will be for ATK will be 200 so unless you are going crazy with using S ranks weapon, not really worth pumping than more to 40. Besides, if it's a 50 STR requirement?

Might as well double hand it. guarantee that weapon is slow so might as well go all out.

I power stance great hammers and giant axes. My STR is 65 :colbert:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Iretep posted:

I power stance great hammers and giant axes. My STR is 65 :colbert:
That's not enough to power stance giant warrior clubs. You need more strength.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nahxela posted:

I'm actually still building up. It's going to be 75 later on but right now I'm just using a large club and lion greataxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Drangleic's finest.

Nahxela posted:

See powerstancing those can only lead to disappointment since you won't get the moveset of the giant's that use them.