Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

mechacop posted:

I've never played any of the Japan=exclusive Berserk games, but I've been thinking a lot lately about what a proper Berserk game would be, and what it would take to replicate the feeling of being Guts.

I feel like the game should make you feel unstoppable, and your main fear being yourself. Maybe some sort of BERSERK METER that can't get too high?

As for game feel and tone, I feel like Dark Souls is really the closest contender, and I've heard the official Berserk games are not half bad. What do you guys think would make a good Berserk game?

I don't think being nigh invulnerable should feature in a Berserk game considering Guts usually wins his (meaningful) fights by the skin of his teeth by going through with a suicidal tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Dreamcast) is true to Berserk (Retribution arc) but is a bad game in general. It has a Berserk meter, the crossbow, bombs, throwing knives. The plot is decent or predictably Berserk-ish. Supergreatfriend did a let's play of it.

I'm a fan of Demon's and Dark Souls but I don't like their presentation of Guts. I like to think of Guts as a skillful swordsman and not a flipping around black clad ninja type. Some other game did a tribute to Guts and Griffith.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was Dragon's Dogma, and you could get Guts' Band of the Hawk armor along with Griffith's.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Dark Souls definitely has a lot of inspiration from Berserk. One of the ultra great swords is almost exactly the Dragonslayer.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

Dark Souls definitely has a lot of inspiration from Berserk. One of the ultra great swords is almost exactly the Dragonslayer.

Well, to be honest, if any Japanese company has a game with a medieval-ish European-ish setting then they are pretty much forced (by law) to have a few Berserk references.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

There are about a dozen references to Berserk in DS 1 and 2. Like Zorak said, the Greatsword is pretty identical to Dragonslayer and the boxart of Artorias bears a resemblance to Guts in the berserk armor.

And don't even get me started on wheel skeletons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The wheel skeletons aren't based on that scene in Berserk. Both series' are based on a real torture called a Breaking Wheel. It was pretty messed up.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 23, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They're both obviously based on that actual torture device, but the way the Dark Souls enemies work with skeletons rolling all around the place in/on those wheels seems to be derived from the Berserk bonewheels.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zorak posted:

My latest DS2 playthrough is all about the Greatsword.
And a crossbow in my off-hand. And throwing knives. And Flame Swathe as the closest thing I could get to a cannon.

It's turning out to be a remarkably effective build.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A Berserk game should do what no hack and slash has done before and actually model the momentum of the sword and work it into the core gameplay mechanics. That would make for an interesting experience.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

The wheel skeletons aren't based on that scene in Berserk. Both series' are based on a real torture called a Breaking Wheel. It was pretty messed up.

the real torture device is one woman, two seed from two different men. can you imagine the bloodshed?

but fer a vidyagame i reckon, gattsu/guts/bubba better be weak to begin with, in a cruel world. strong as gently caress in a world of poo poo by 'round the third or so arc.

i want the game to have a medieval feel with a clash of postmodern for after the lunar shift phase. maybe a pinch or perhaps even just a sprinkle of steampunk with an intermittent reminiscent phase painted noir. guys, are you with mee?

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Metal Pink Babble posted:

the real torture device is one woman, two seed from two different men. can you imagine the bloodshed?

but fer a vidyagame i reckon, gattsu/guts/bubba better be weak to begin with, in a cruel world. strong as gently caress in a world of poo poo by 'round the third or so arc.

i want the game to have a medieval feel with a clash of postmodern for after the lunar shift phase. maybe a pinch pr a sprinkle of steampunk with an intermittent reminiscent phase painted noir. guys, are you with mee?

this post is all around just painful to read for some reason

but yeah, i guess everyone is immediately defaulting to Hack n' Slash games, so what other kinds of games do you think Berserk is suitable for? I guess a JRPG could work, but I can't really see it being THAT entertaining.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A text based adventure.

No really though, Berserk is all about rear end kicking and gratuitous violence. Nothing short of a tactile action game is gonna cut it.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mechacop posted:

this post is all around just painful to read for some reason

but yeah, i guess everyone is immediately defaulting to Hack n' Slash games, so what other kinds of games do you think Berserk is suitable for? I guess a JRPG could work, but I can't really see it being THAT entertaining.

your rap skills are about as zero as a balsawood plane splattering in dive against a full metal naval-class aircraft carrier.

but ragnarok online is corean. get your poo poo straight. tell me about byob. tellme about feeding jellybeans to a blob.

i know games are poo poo because the beast interlink is adjusting tablets to immediate input, but your mom adjusted during my immediate input after only three replies.

the problem with sword of the berserk was it was a terribly localized game put out in order to gently cull the dreamcast, as sony had manufactured a rewritable format to their own native drive. someone had don learnt to compress fmv into divx. a chinaman made a cd with a blackback and 900mb capacity. youdont know poo poo you fyad parachute.

but a real berserk game would be in miura's design. miura appreciates geometric complementarity, and i would post snippets from threadname="anime reality - 2nd dimensional complementarity and modeling", de mo, however, it could not be helped that archives containing proof of your original permaprobation are unavailable at the moment.

a real berserkgame would be unfiunished, and yet would not be released with the expectationof receiving updates.

volume one of berserk was not foreshadowing. it was the first arc's successful completion, as guts had gained the heart to start a new game plus after levelling up after an epic kill and distributing his karma accordingly.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
oh my saving graces, yoshishades, google cached it b4 i did:

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KsiK1aJ8hUAJ:http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...&hl=en&&ct=clnk[/url]

the game needs to know whether the player input is either mainly %active or %null, and the levels of both parameters in realtime. the two dimensions of life or death are tantamount to the subsistent persistence of a berserker. the whole universe shifts arount the player who must be either moving or standing still, since if he were both, the host of the universe would declare it to be a dimensional paradox. if he stands still too loong, the universe deems him edible.

guts cannot rest, since hell spawns around him. on the genesis, sonic impatiently taps his sneakers waiting for player input. in this world, however, inactivity brings forth the spawn of pain.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are you high, or is your posting gimmick "gibbering retard"?

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
This kid has a crush on me and follows me to every forum I post on lol

Talk Berserk or get out, holmes

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
On that note, I am caught up with Berserk now. Really not a fan of this arc compared to some of the previous ones leading up to this. Waiting for new chapters is gonna suck.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mechacop posted:

This kid has a crush on me and follows me to every forum I post on lol

Talk Berserk or get out, holmes

i would in no way be cohorting with an idiot king who penalized me as a cheap alibi. he must in no way be controlling me to post what i do at certain irregular intervals. sorry, i am justly an idiot. not a lowly one, but a lofty, kingly idiot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Metal Pink Babble posted:

i would in no way be cohorting with an idiot king who penalized me as a cheap alibi. he must in no way be controlling me to post what i do at certain irregular intervals. sorry, i am justly an idiot. not a lowly one, but a lofty, kingly idiot.
You post a lot of words, but I don't think they actually have any meaning behind them. Please find another thread to poo poo up.

On an unrelated note, I finally own every single volume of the Berserk manga, and I re-read the entire series. I don't know if it was because of the Dark Horse translation, but I feel like I understood the story a lot more after this read-through. I feel like I better understand the whole nature of the spiritual world, how the God Hand fits in, and all sorts of little details after this read through. It really makes me appreciate how well the series is written. Plus, when you don't have months between chapters, the pacing just feels much better.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nalin posted:

You post a lot of words, but I don't think they actually have any meaning behind them. Please find another thread to poo poo up.

On an unrelated note, I finally own every single volume of the Berserk manga, and I re-read the entire series. I don't know if it was because of the Dark Horse translation, but I feel like I understood the story a lot more after this read-through. I feel like I better understand the whole nature of the spiritual world, how the God Hand fits in, and all sorts of little details after this read through. It really makes me appreciate how well the series is written. Plus, when you don't have months between chapters, the pacing just feels much better.

in this world (plane[dimensional quanta]) is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law?

is it like the hand(arbiter of action) of god(arbiter of selfsame design) hovering above(head or helm)? At least it is true(in light of contradiction it still stands) that man has no control(man is an actor controlled by the helm, admin, lesser admin, or godhead); even over his own will(or how his head directs his hands).

you fail to understand the role of the apple. no hand moves it. it simply is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Nalin posted:

That's cool. How are the volumes bound?

The biggest thing about re-reading is seeing how well the art improves. I appreciate the full page spreads more.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

temple posted:

That's cool. How are the volumes bound?

The biggest thing about re-reading is seeing how well the art improves. I appreciate the full page spreads more.
The volumes are fairly normal compared to other manga I guess. I did notice some printing errors in some volumes, like I had one volume where I think the drum was dirty on a bunch of pages as it muddled the image a bit on the side of the page, and a couple times the text layout was so close to the edges that some letters got chopped off when the pages were cut.

Also, the funny thing is, when you are reading through it again, all the two page spreads of Griffith during the Kushan War are over pretty fast. It was only unbearable when chapter releases were so spread out, but when reading the actual volume it wasn't bad at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nalin posted:

On an unrelated note, I finally own every single volume of the Berserk manga, and I re-read the entire series. I don't know if it was because of the Dark Horse translation, but I feel like I understood the story a lot more after this read-through.
I was throwing out a ton of old DVD/CD-R's the other day, and I came across the Berserk CDs a friend of mine made back in high school of the manga he got from Band of the Hawk's IRC channel or something. Good lord was the translation stilted and half-assed back then. Say what you will of Dark Horse's problems (cropping some pages too much), at least the words actually sound like something a person would say.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

temple posted:

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Dreamcast) is true to Berserk (Retribution arc) but is a bad game in general. It has a Berserk meter, the crossbow, bombs, throwing knives. The plot is decent or predictably Berserk-ish. Supergreatfriend did a let's play of it.

I'm actually selling a copy of this right now. It's a terrible game. The voice acting is awful, the camera tries to kill you, quick time events kill you, and the difficulty spikes begin as soon as you start playing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
That Dreamcast game seems pretty spot on Berserk, and the opening credits are pretty awesome for just them walking into town.* I can look past the dated graphics and voice acting (I like Puck's no matter what).

Little things like the little girl in the background being frightened of Guts (and him glancing back and realizing it) are really nice touches. Also I :smith: a little at Casca not being afraid of Guts (yet).

*Note: "Forces" playing in the background makes anything instantly better, but still.

Fake edit: While the rest of pink babble's ramble is indeed something awful, a game mechanic where you have to catch brief catnaps (and have demons slowly build up around you while you do) or suffer damage penalties might be pretty cool, if it's done right. Either Guts plays it safe and gets overwhelmed or he plows forward and gets overwhelmed.

Even if it's like an arcade-y Legend of Zelda, I cannot believe there hasn't been some kind of remake of a Berserk game.

edit:

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm actually selling a copy of this right now. It's a terrible game. The voice acting is awful, the camera tries to kill you, quick time events kill you, and the difficulty spikes begin as soon as you start playing.

A remake that isn't Dark Souls, I mean.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The music in the games had some crazy good Susumu Hirasawa tracks.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Nalin posted:

Interesting. I've read the whole thing on my phone on a manga app with a pretty good Fan Translation. I heard Dark Horse is the way to go, so I'll have to go back and read it like that somehow.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just finished my re-read and I think someone mentioned it earlier; there's going to have to be something gigantic that happens between now and the end, or else Gutts is going to be fighting through not only a legion of apostles to get to Griffith but also basically the entire population of Falconia/Midland and possibly the world, if everyone had the Millennium Falcon dream.

I don't really want to believe that the story is going to end on "Gutts fails/wins but is crushed under a city-sized mob of humans" so I can't wait to see how the knowledge gets out. Maybe the Seeress whose name currently escapes me will have something to do with it since she has abilities in that direction, but she seems totally lovestruck at the minute. Who else knows besides the party? Rickert because Gutts told him and isn't that it? The old Midland councillor kicking around might know something is off with Griffith but not "the saviour of humanity is actually a godlike being responsible for the chaos of all the world minus this one city he likes".

Edit; Hahah the last chapter says that the next chapter was published yesterday. Was it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The ps2 Berserk game actually has pretty decent gameplay, but fucks up by forcing you to kill way too much poo poo, making it kinda dull. I've never gotten farther than a few hours in.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Reskin the WH40K: Spacemarine game to look more like Guts fighting waves of apostles and I think that would probably be the perfect Berserk game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pierson posted:

I just finished my re-read and I think someone mentioned it earlier; there's going to have to be something gigantic that happens between now and the end, or else Gutts is going to be fighting through not only a legion of apostles to get to Griffith but also basically the entire population of Falconia/Midland and possibly the world, if everyone had the Millennium Falcon dream.

I don't really want to believe that the story is going to end on "Gutts fails/wins but is crushed under a city-sized mob of humans" so I can't wait to see how the knowledge gets out. Maybe the Seeress whose name currently escapes me will have something to do with it since she has abilities in that direction, but she seems totally lovestruck at the minute. Who else knows besides the party? Rickert because Gutts told him and isn't that it? The old Midland councillor kicking around might know something is off with Griffith but not "the saviour of humanity is actually a godlike being responsible for the chaos of all the world minus this one city he likes".

Edit; Hahah the last chapter says that the next chapter was published yesterday. Was it?

Yeah, there are translations going around but no scans yet.

I think there's going to be some sort of dark secret to Griffith's new kingdom that will make people turn against him. Or maybe Guts is going to rally the elves and other "good" spirits to help him fight against Griffith? I dunno, for how long this has been going, it isn't clear what the endgame could even be besides some sort of fight between Guts and Griffith.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Azzents posted:

Reskin the WH40K: Spacemarine game to look more like Guts fighting waves of apostles and I think that would probably be the perfect Berserk game.

Take Metal Gear Rising (and don't forget blade mode!) and slow it down a bit and you'd have a pretty good base from which to build a Berserk game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I played the dreamcast Berserk game today and your dragon slayer sword constantly gets blocked by the walls and scenery, when you injure crossbow guys they run to put their back against a wall and you can't combo them any more because each time you hit them you also hit the wall and recoil a bit. It's really annoying and nobody should play it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Really the kingdom already has a whooooole bunch of dark secrets, how many more does it really need? :v:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Nate RFB posted:

The music in the games had some crazy good Susumu Hirasawa tracks.

True dat, I am a fan of Forces 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

Yeah, there are translations going around but no scans yet.
Here you go.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Chapter 335 is already up: http://starkana.com/manga/B/Berserk/chapter/335

e: Beaten but there you go either way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
All the dead are enshrined in the castle? That... doesn't sound like it'll go well when Guts inevitably has to break into here :stare:
Interesting that Rickert has picked up enough at this point to immediately know that Locus is an Apostle.

Aaand another hiatus without a date. Horns.aiff.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zorak posted:

All the dead are enshrined in the castle? That... doesn't sound like it'll go well when Guts inevitably has to break into here :stare:
Interesting that Rickert has picked up enough at this point to immediately know that Locus is an Apostle.

I can't wait to see how Rickert reacts to Griffith. Also these two page spreads are killing me. They are beautiful but they just drag things out so much.