Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wormil posted:

You guys are thinking small. Set up an overhead jackshaft system and run everything off it.

This is the only answer. :rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Only if you set up a boiler and a steam powered generator, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

One Legged Ninja posted:

Then he'll be a European Jay Leno.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was thinking more like Jeremy Clarkson, poooooower! In other news I checked out some Makita cordless screw drivers, I don't like cordless tools but I've only had lovely ones, these ones felt quite nice in the hand.

Also got some pictures of that saw I am interested in:

Doesn't look like it weighs 600lbs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is that what the seller claims? That it weighs 600 pounds? There is no way on god's green earth that saw weighs 600 pounds, unless everything in that shop is scaled and the saw is actually 10 feet tall.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

One Legged Ninja posted:

Or find a local stream with 6ft of head and make a micro hydro power station.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah itäs a company I am dealing with called Woodford, from the UK, they sell a range of saws, well thought of generally, though lovely about this whole internet thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe they mean the table is rated for 600 pounds of material or something (for all the situations where you need to saw up something weighing 600 pounds)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe they mean the table is rated for 600 pounds of material or something (for all the situations where you need to saw up something weighing 600 pounds)

Nah it says Net weight 275kg or ~600lbs on the specs they emailed me. I'm really wondering about that since their cabinet saw model (which they got online, but not this cheaper model) is 268kg:
http://www.woodfordtooling.com/accessories/saw-blades/saw-hw110lge-30.html (IIRC this should be a delta unisaw clone)

It's just if they got things like that wrong (maybe they meant 275lbs or ), it makes me wonder about the engine too, I really liked it had a 3HP engine like a full sized cabinet saw, all contractor style saws I've seen have a 1.5HP engine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got some clarification from Woodford now, saw is indeed 130kg, a matter of looking at the wrong column. Engine is 3HP though and it's dado capable (possibly the only one made for the eu market). A strong engine is definite pro when doing dado cutting.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
What is the preferred method/tool for making long straight or angled cuts on sheet materials?

I'm going to be doing a sheet siding soon and really am not good at make straight cuts with my circular saw, even with a fence.

ninja edit: I'm probably going to have to pick up a new circular saw as well, since my Ryobi battery powered one kills even my brand new batteries fairly quickly.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dragyn posted:

What is the preferred method/tool for making long straight or angled cuts on sheet materials?

I'm going to be doing a sheet siding soon and really am not good at make straight cuts with my circular saw, even with a fence.

ninja edit: I'm probably going to have to pick up a new circular saw as well, since my Ryobi battery powered one kills even my brand new batteries fairly quickly.

A panel saw is probably the best thing, but they're expensive and not very portable. Maybe look into a track saw? Dewalt and Fein I believe both make them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dragyn posted:

Unless you're going to be spending thousands on a specialty tool, the circular saw is going to have to do the job. Lay the sheet flat on a sacrificial surface, and set the blade to just barely thick enough to cut the sheet. Obviously you need to clamp a straight edge to the sheeting to run your circular saw along. If anyone knows of a better method that doesn't involve buying a 2 ton delta cabinet saw I'd love to hear it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Blistex posted:

Unless you're going to be spending thousands on a specialty tool, the circular saw is going to have to do the job. Lay the sheet flat on a sacrificial surface, and set the blade to just barely thick enough to cut the sheet. Obviously you need to clamp a straight edge to the sheeting to run your circular saw along. If anyone knows of a better method that doesn't involve buying a 2 ton delta cabinet saw I'd love to hear it.

A simple edge guide works pretty well, or you can roll your own with a long sheet of hardboard and plywood with clamps. Otherwise, tracksaw/EZ-GUIDE plus a square.

The tracksaw route makes this really, really easy. Get two sawhorses and some 2x to make a bench, put foamboard insulation on top, place sheet on foamboard. Cut. Done.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

A simple edge guide works pretty well, or you can roll your own with a long sheet of hardboard and plywood with clamps. Otherwise, tracksaw/EZ-GUIDE plus a square.

The tracksaw route makes this really, really easy. Get two sawhorses and some 2x to make a bench, put foamboard insulation on top, place sheet on foamboard. Cut. Done.

A tracksaw seems like the easiest route, I wonder if I could find someone to loan me one for a while, $500 is steep for how much I really need it. Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dragyn posted:

A tracksaw seems like the easiest route, I wonder if I could find someone to loan me one for a while, $500 is steep for how much I really need it. Thanks!

You can easily make a homemade version from plywood. There are dozens of youtube videos showing how. Jay bates has a good video.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wormil posted:

You can easily make a homemade version from plywood. There are dozens of youtube videos showing how. Jay bates has a good video.

Second Jay's video. I ended up buying a Makita due to a great deal, otherwise I was planning on just making a guide. Would have saved me about $250...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I'll have to check that out. I made myself a little 8'x4' frame out of 2x4s for cutting sheet goods on, and it definitely helps, but I'm still pretty lovely at it. I wouldn't trust myself to cut a bunch of paneling for like cabinets or something like that.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Dragyn posted:

Most circular saws have track slots in the sole. I've got the second cheapest Bosch circular saw and a cheapo Ferm track, works a charm and it cost me just over 100 euro.

Just be sure to test if your saw fits the track nicely, and stay the gently caress away from plastic tracks. Spend the bit extra for a proper aluminium track.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I don't have a welder is there something else I can that doesn't involve a kite and some keys? I feel like this could be a chance to acquire some cheap cordless tools, or try and revive my current one (some poo poo cotech or something).

Also looking for a chisel set, is this a kind of tool I can buy cheaply at our local harbour freight equivalents, or should I look for some particular band? I don't mind buying used or even antique if it's good value for money, I might prefer that even.

I successfully revived four makita batteries using this method.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8hHLyXAyQ

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well crap, took out the screwdriver and looked at the battery and it's a NiMH battery, not a NiCAD.

Edit:
I am now considering turning this into a corded screwdriver by replacing the battery with an AC adapter. Not sure what amperage I should go for though, the battery is 16.8v, not sure if an 18V current would be too much for it, doesn't seem like such a small variation should make that huge a difference. It's a piece of poo poo screw driver anyway.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 16, 2014

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wormil posted:

Thanks for mentioning this guy. I'm always looking for cool woodworking youtube channels. Do you guys like any others? I follow Frank Howarth and Mattias Wendel of course.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well crap, took out the screwdriver and looked at the battery and it's a NiMH battery, not a NiCAD.

Edit:
I am now considering turning this into a corded screwdriver by replacing the battery with an AC adapter. Not sure what amperage I should go for though, the battery is 16.8v, not sure if an 18V current would be too much for it, doesn't seem like such a small variation should make that huge a difference. It's a piece of poo poo screw driver anyway.

You'll need a pretty sizable supply to handle the current demands of a screwdriver, especially if it stalls out. That's the joy of batteries, very high current supply for inrush current.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tigren posted:

Thanks for mentioning this guy. I'm always looking for cool woodworking youtube channels. Do you guys like any others? I follow Frank Howarth and Mattias Wendel of course.

The wood whisperer is pretty good and has a nice end grain chopping board video. Wood working for mere mortals is ok, and Carl Jacobson has some neat turning videos.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tigren posted:

Alain Vaillancourt/The Woodpecker does some stuff similar to Matthias. For hand tool woodworking Paul Sellers and Shannon Rogers/Renaissance Woodworker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tigren posted:

Jay Bates
John Heisz
Alex Harris (ThisWoodwork/TheTeenWoodworker)
Woodworking for Mere Mortals/Steve Ramsey
Jack Houweling
Frank Howarth
Matthias Wandel
Izzy Swan

I can think of a few others but those are the ones I really enjoy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tigren posted:

Rather than listing them all I just grabbed a screenshot. There are actually more woodworkers I subscribe too but haven't updated the list in awhile. The Drunken Woodworker is a good way to find new woodworking channels, he does a weekly wrap up video and usually features several videos that are very good.

Woodworkers

Turners. Jake Gevorgian is a standout on this list, not a 'how-to' channel but he is a highly skilled professional, artist, and enjoyable to watch, might even be interesting to non-turners. He does occasionally stray from turning. Robbiethewoodturner is highly skilled and always trying new things, his videos are a bit long.

Here is another list I call Makers because some aren't strictly woodworkers or because they tend toward machines. There is some overlap with other lists. Ronald Walters is a tinkerer/woodworker and is often featured by Matthias. JimmyDiresta is awesome and works in wood and metal, he appears on Make and his own channel. Wooden Tool Man comes off like a chamois cloth salesman but he's actually pretty clever if you can get past his long winded shouting style of talking.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Since I didn't see it on there yet... Switch & Lever is a great channel I just found - mostly metal rather than woodworking but some great ideas, well-narrated and interesting.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wormil posted:

Rather than listing them all I just grabbed a screenshot. There are actually more woodworkers I subscribe too but haven't updated the list in awhile. The Drunken Woodworker is a good way to find new woodworking channels, he does a weekly wrap up video and usually features several videos that are very good.

Woodworkers

Turners. Jake Gevorgian is a standout on this list, not a 'how-to' channel but he is a highly skilled professional, artist, and enjoyable to watch, might even be interesting to non-turners. He does occasionally stray from turning. Robbiethewoodturner is highly skilled and always trying new things, his videos are a bit long.

Here is another list I call Makers because some aren't strictly woodworkers or because they tend toward machines. There is some overlap with other lists. Ronald Walters is a tinkerer/woodworker and is often featured by Matthias. JimmyDiresta is awesome and works in wood and metal, he appears on Make and his own channel. Wooden Tool Man comes off like a chamois cloth salesman but he's actually pretty clever if you can get past his long winded shouting style of talking.

Wow, this is fantastic. I love watching Howarth's turning videos so I'll definitely check out the Turners list. Thanks a lot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That list is very wood centric (which isn't a problem) - for metalworking, look no farther than Turn Wright Machine Works (Keith Fenner.)

Speaking of which, I need to catch up on his videos sometime.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

That list is very wood centric (which isn't a problem) - for metalworking, look no farther than Turn Wright Machine Works (Keith Fenner.)

That's not going to be easy, he talks a LOT. His shop isn't far from my wife's grandparent's house, I keep meaning to drop by and say hello.

For welding, check out welding tips and tricks with Jody. He's really really easy to understand, and has a lot of arc shots.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, welding tips and tricks is awesome too.

And I keep meaning to head down to Keith's place sometime as well. I have some custom work that he could probably do a great job of and he seems like a cool dude. A bit longer drive for me, but still worth it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

You can't talk youtube metalworking instructionals without MrPete222 (tubalcain) :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/videos

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard posted:

You can't talk youtube metalworking instructionals without MrPete222 (tubalcain) :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/videos

Yup, he's awesome, in an adorable "kids, get off my lawn" way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is he the crazy old guy that really really hates drill bit sharpening jigs?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Yes, but in his defense, most of those are pretty terrible.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Just picked up a second-hand Ryobi 10" compound miter saw from a craigslist ad.

This one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-14-Amp-10-in-Compound-Miter-Saw-TS1344L/100634340#product_description

For $60, it's in pretty much brand new condition with all it's accessories intact. Score! Now i can return my dad's to him, since I've had it in my garage for 5 years now.

(sorry, just wanted to brag)

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Hey, is this a reasonable price for this bandsaw?

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/4480165016.html

I'm thinking it's the Delta 28-276. Mostly, I'm looking to be able to cut some curves and make bandsaw boxes, and I think that will fit the bill.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Finally wired the 220V for my Grizzly Polar Bear table saw and I have to say I love that thing! The fence is crazy smooth, only took me a minute to adjust it to be perfectly square, and I love that they included the big safety shield/riving knife/kickback clamps, but also another riving knife if you want to so notch cuts as well. The saw runs smooth, and the included blade is pretty good as well. The only downside is that the cord is a little short, so you have to think where you want it in your shop before setting everything up. The manual says to avoid using extension cords as they drop voltage, so no 20' cords for convenient placement.

It's a real steal for the price, but I'm still kicking myself that I didn't pull the trigger when it was going for $790 on Amazon instead of the $1280 that I bought it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dragyn posted:

Just picked up a second-hand Ryobi 10" compound miter saw from a craigslist ad.

This one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-14-Amp-10-in-Compound-Miter-Saw-TS1344L/100634340#product_description

For $60, it's in pretty much brand new condition with all it's accessories intact. Score! Now i can return my dad's to him, since I've had it in my garage for 5 years now.

(sorry, just wanted to brag)

I've had that exact same saw for a few years now. The laser guide gave out after a few months but otherwise it's worked wonderfully for all my home projects.