Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

As a DPS, it's generally not a good idea in a flashpoint to piss off both the tank AND the healer. And you'd think when you died for the 5th time because the tank isn't getting aggro and the healer isn't healing you, that you MIGHT catch on. Not a word from this happy DPS until the very end, when he said "WTF" when he got kicked from the group before the final boss for being a Republic Spy.

What did he do to piss you off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

What did he do to piss you off?

First big pull of Hammer Station, I marked the two big droids and was in the process of telling him and the other DPS to cc after I pull when I see an Orbital Strike in the middle of the group. We get done with the pull and I say "or you know, pull whatever you want and ignore the group"... He doesn't say a word, just moves to the next group and pulls.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Medullah posted:

First big pull of Hammer Station, I marked the two big droids and was in the process of telling him and the other DPS to cc after I pull when I see an Orbital Strike in the middle of the group. We get done with the pull and I say "or you know, pull whatever you want and ignore the group"... He doesn't say a word, just moves to the next group and pulls.

That's basically the hardest pull of Hammer Station. My motto as tank is that I don't get too upset unless we actually wipe. Sometimes the DPS is stupidly overgeared and can off-tank the mob pack.

The only times I really use mezzes at this point is for Heroic 4s when you face against 4 golds. Most of the time, I'm very skeptical that they won't be broken instantly.

But yeah most of the times, group fights tend to be pretty sloppy and uncoordinated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

That's basically the hardest pull of Hammer Station. My motto as tank is that I don't get too upset unless we actually wipe. Sometimes the DPS is stupidly overgeared and can off-tank the mob pack.

The only times I really use mezzes at this point is for Heroic 4s when you face against 4 golds. Most of the time, I'm very skeptical that they won't be broken instantly.

But yeah most of the times, group fights tend to be pretty sloppy and uncoordinated.

Whether or not it *can* be done isn't the concern. Honestly, I really wouldn't have cared (and neither would have the healer) as long as he said "Oops" or even "Oh we're geared enough, we can take it". His complete lack of communication and immediate jumping into the next group was what pissed me off.

It's the privilege of tanks that we get to be angry sometimes.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
"sometimes"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you are a tank/healer and aren't silently(or loudly) judging everyone you haven't tanked/healed in MMO's enough.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dexo posted:

If you are a tank/healer and aren't silently(or loudly) judging everyone you haven't tanked/healed in MMO's enough.

I guess I haven't tanked/healed MMO's enough because everytime I do, I feel the cold judging stares of the other group members. Silently evaluating my tanking/healing and cursing that there aren't more tanks/heals so they can't group kick me.

Then I hop on my DPS and do the same to tanks/healers in my group.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a tank it's great because it's everyone else's fault!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That's true with every class role though :confused:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I get so nervous as a tank because I can never tell when fuckups happen because it's my fault, or because it's someone else's. And if anyone yells at me I don't know if I'm in the right or not.

I also hate tanking because as tank, you're supposed to be out front, leading the group, and I can never remember which mobs you can skip by doing crazy stuff like jumping on walls or whatever. Heals & DPS is more casual because you can just follow the herd and as long as you do your job right, nobody can yell at you too hard.

Although I guess healing can also be stressful, because sometimes I can't tell if everyone's health is so low because I'm loving up as a healer, or because everybody else is loving up and getting hit too much.

It's also a shame that dulfy describes mercs as the hardest healers to play well in the game, because I'm kind of falling in love with it aesthetically. I much prefer the "beep boop beep boop here comes green healing goo" style over the "embrace the magic healing power of the dark side" sorc healing for some reason. It's definitely harder to manage your energy levels as a merc healer though, I've noticed. And I'm not in love with having to keep track of the supercharge system.

I'm only level 21 on my merc though so I suppose there's a chance that, just like every other advanced class in the game, it gets a little easier as you move up in the talent tree.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Merc healing is awesome, never judge a class on how it feels at lower levels.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I needed something mindless for my latest alt--Marksman Sniper was what I settled on, and :stare: jesus christ I can rack up at least ten medals in a PvP round in my SLEEP.

Paired with Treek in PvE, literally nothing touches me. Ever.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dexo posted:

I am probably going to have a stroke healing flashpoints with my operative. The last 4 or 5 I ran were nightmares, complete with DPS running as tank and refusing to switch to a tank stance and the DPS using one ability (just force storm) over and over and literally nothing else. The same DPS also told me tanks should never ever use their taunt because it "will make them die". The DPS tank eventually left and the stupid sorc left after I told him (as we were waiting for a new tank) "maybe you should use some other abilities besides just force storm".

With PvP I've just started being thankful when my team is so cripplingly stupid we lose fast or when I get matched into a good group comp 4v4.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

wtftastic posted:

I am probably going to have a stroke healing flashpoints with my operative. The last 4 or 5 I ran were nightmares, complete with DPS running as tank and refusing to switch to a tank stance and the DPS using one ability (just force storm) over and over and literally nothing else. The same DPS also told me tanks should never ever use their taunt because it "will make them die". The DPS tank eventually left and the stupid sorc left after I told him (as we were waiting for a new tank) "maybe you should use some other abilities besides just force storm".

With PvP I've just started being thankful when my team is so cripplingly stupid we lose fast or when I get matched into a good group comp 4v4.

:allears:

Let me tell you about healing/tanking dungeons in WoW where mages were either chain casting pyroblast or just spamming Arcane Explosion.

My feelings are that as long as we aren't wiping, in Pugs I don't really care how it gets done, as long as it gets done.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
For TNG, what are the rules behind using the guild bank?

Answered in game, thanks.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Dexo posted:

:allears:

Let me tell you about healing/tanking dungeons in WoW where mages were either chain casting pyroblast or just spamming Arcane Explosion.

My feelings are that as long as we aren't wiping, in Pugs I don't really care how it gets done, as long as it gets done.

I've done the above in WoW. The dungeons are literally AOE trains because of how nerfed they are and how heirloom items allow you to ignore gearing during the leveling process. Hitting the CC button is a waste of a global cooldown.

Also healing is literally 1 button on a low cooldown for a full heal during leveling - I spent half my time DPSing as a healer.

VVVVVVVVV

I'm guessing Blizzard made the default playstyle into the most efficient one.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 22, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

I've done the above in WoW. The dungeons are literally AOE trains because of how nerfed they are and how heirloom items allow you to ignore gearing during the leveling process. Hitting the CC button is a waste of a global cooldown.

This was in Vanilla/Early TBC

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Early TBC heroics were kind of ridiculous and it ruled. It was always nice to have a competent group that could run them similar to the AOE train it is now but that was definitely the exception and generally meant multiple members of your group didn't actually want/need anything from the dungeon.

On the subject of SWTOR, on my sorc I've been PVPing almost exclusively and I'm not 40 yet on him so I can't start turning warzone commendations into ranked commendations. I've been just buying money boxes and lately planetary commendations with them. This combined with the occasional KDY run have been fueling my level 43 juggernaut through the purple gearboxes. I've been putting the pieces he can't use on the GTN, some sell, some don't. I was wondering if there is a way to buy level 51+ artifact boxes with planetary commendations since I get the feeling those might sell better? Or am I completely off base?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Early TBC heroics were kind of ridiculous and it ruled. It was always nice to have a competent group that could run them similar to the AOE train it is now but that was definitely the exception and generally meant multiple members of your group didn't actually want/need anything from the dungeon.

On the subject of SWTOR, on my sorc I've been PVPing almost exclusively and I'm not 40 yet on him so I can't start turning warzone commendations into ranked commendations. I've been just buying money boxes and lately planetary commendations with them. This combined with the occasional KDY run have been fueling my level 43 juggernaut through the purple gearboxes. I've been putting the pieces he can't use on the GTN, some sell, some don't. I was wondering if there is a way to buy level 51+ artifact boxes with planetary commendations since I get the feeling those might sell better? Or am I completely off base?

:smug: I was an uncrushable Paladin, Shattered Halls was my bitch. I mean I had to heal everything that wasn't Heroics/Hyjal but still :smug:

Then I leveled a Shaman and Chain Healed my way into the Sunwell.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

unpurposed posted:

For TNG, what are the rules behind using the guild bank?

Answered in game, thanks.

Only if you're buying a Crate-O-Matic.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wtftastic posted:

I've healed on every class and operative was by far the easiest of them all. Just heal probe the gently caress out of everyone constantly forever

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Some raiding tonight. TFB hardmode because why not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Some raiding tonight. TFB hardmode because why not.

I promise* not to blame my performance on my ping the whole time if I do bad.

*not a real promise

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ramadu posted:

I've healed on every class and operative was by far the easiest of them all. Just heal probe the gently caress out of everyone constantly forever

Operative sucks if you, gently caress up and get behind though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dexo posted:

Operative = Best for sustained healing, easy energy management but lovely for big huge spikes in damage.

Mercenary = Can do great "HOLY gently caress" heals, but not a lot of options for topping people off during consistent damage if they aren't standing in green goo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dexo posted:

You clearly stopped heal probing everyone forever :colbert:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Medullah posted:

Operative = Best for sustained healing, easy energy management but lovely for big huge spikes in damage.

Mercenary = Can do great "HOLY gently caress" heals, but not a lot of options for topping people off during consistent damage if they aren't standing in green goo.

Also great for PvP- I had fights today where I had four DPS on me and I healed myself through it and popped shield probes on CD.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Good run tonight. It turns out Hard Mode is actually kind of hard, who would have thought?

We one-shot the first two bosses, and I'm pretty sure I saw five out of our eight get the achievements for those. Alas, we could not surmount the hurdle of Operator 9. We were getting stuck on the orange phase, right where we kept getting stuck when we were making our first guild runs at it, so I'm sure we'll be able to work past it just like back then.

Thanks to everyone who came along, I hope y'all got something out of the experience.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Nipponophile posted:

Thanks to everyone who came along, I hope y'all got something out of the experience.

As an observer (I was sitting in TS listening whilst grinding levels) I'd just like to remind you to put 'Guard' on before pulling... ;)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

We one-shot the first two bosses, and I'm pretty sure I saw five out of our eight get the achievements for those. Alas, we could not surmount the hurdle of Operator 9. We were getting stuck on the orange phase, right where we kept getting stuck when we were making our first guild runs at it, so I'm sure we'll be able to work past it just like back then.

Honestly, the most encouraging part of the whole thing for me was hearing that the main progression group fared similarly terribly at that same point. It really took the shame out of the massive spike in difficulty that that boss brought to the raid :)

Still, I had fun tonight, even though we lost! And just a few months ago I thought I never even wanted to try a hard mode.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I am sort of scared of hard modes... Most likely because I prefer to tank or heal. As tank/heal in arcanian and above, which hardmode is the easiest introduction? I have healed EC and TFB as scoundrel, main tanked EC a few times, lead EC, off tanked S&V, TFB, DF and one I don't know... A level 50 one with the hutt robot making GBS threads fire.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

I am sort of scared of hard modes... Most likely because I prefer to tank or heal. As tank/heal in arcanian and above, which hardmode is the easiest introduction? I have healed EC and TFB as scoundrel, main tanked EC a few times, lead EC, off tanked S&V, TFB, DF and one I don't know... A level 50 one with the hutt robot making GBS threads fire.

EV and KP aren't real Hard Modes, at this point they are easy for semi-geared level 50s, much less 55s. EC HM is still a bit tough. For healing, HM TFB is pretty much the same as SM just a bit more intense. Same with Scum, really. It's not until Dread Fortress that healing becomes ridiculous in HM.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

OzCavalier posted:

As an observer (I was sitting in TS listening whilst grinding levels) I'd just like to remind you to put 'Guard' on before pulling... ;)

There's never anyone on during my timezone :negative:
Lovoc is halfway to lv39 now, slowly getting there!

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

HiveCommander posted:

There's never anyone on during my timezone :negative:
Lovoc is halfway to lv39 now, slowly getting there!

If it's the Aussie daytime timezone, look for my Sorc (Rheranni). I'm about a quarter into lvl 38 and just started on Hoth (oh God, kill me now...) I'm often around - unless my work collegues decide to go on holiday/get sick en masse, in which case I get called in at the last minute to fill in... (oh God kill me now...)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

OzCavalier posted:

If it's the Aussie daytime timezone, look for my Sorc (Rheranni). I'm about a quarter into lvl 38 and just started on Hoth (oh God, kill me now...) I'm often around - unless my work collegues decide to go on holiday/get sick en masse, in which case I get called in at the last minute to fill in... (oh God kill me now...)

Sounds good, I usually finish work at around 3pm Westralian time. I do my levelling in a wierd way though, I get a 6 level head-start over the recommended before I start a planet, so I can skip the ones that I hate (here's to you, Nar Shadda and Alderaan :argh:)
I love Hoth unironically, then again being from Westralia I don't get to see snow IRL so it's better than locations like Tacky Red Light District: the planet.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Get enough Aussies on JC, and who knows? We could setup an APAC Raid Group :)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dunno-Lars posted:

Healing is easy mode for raids, I wouldn't worry about it. Go to Oricon, get your Oricon story gear and you're already geared to take on story mode Oricon ops or hard mode scum/tfb (I think).

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Moreau posted:

Get enough Aussies on JC, and who knows? We could setup an APAC Raid Group :)

Are you guys playing Imp or Pub? I usually get home around 2-3 Central time.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Blacktooth posted:

Are you guys playing Imp or Pub? I usually get home around 2-3 Central time.

Primarily Imp here, but I do have a Pub alt I'm (slowly) levelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ramadu posted:

You clearly stopped heal probing everyone forever :colbert:

Clearly whatever was on TV was more important than healing or dodging Reaches. :mad:

• Locked thread