Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm all about swole as hell Radiant Dawn Ike. It differentiates him from Marth a lot more.

It also means that if anyone from Awakening shows up it won't be Chrom and GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FPzero posted:

I would not have predicted Ike come back. My reaction right now was just a quiet "whaaaat" out loud.

Mine was a bit closer to a slightly audible "Son of a..."

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

nerdbot posted:

I'm all about swole as hell Radiant Dawn Ike. It differentiates him from Marth a lot more.

It also means that if anyone from Awakening shows up it won't be Chrom and GOOD.

it's gonna be tharja :unsmigghh:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lessail posted:

I would actually be pretty okay with that, even if she is to Fire Emblem as Krystal is to Star Fox basically.

(Except Tharja is less boring.

I know what I said.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty drat surprised, I gotta say.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I would prefer Henry, but that's because any chance to hear him shout "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" is alright by me.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I highly doubt Ike being in means there won't be a 3rd FErep, who will most likely be Chrom anyways.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Daaang, Ike's new design is really cool! I'm glad they managed to pull off his Radiant Dawn design without making him looks stupidly over-muscled.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The second best character from Radiant Dawn returns.

Though they have to keep the ":geno: I fight for my friends." taunt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lessail posted:

Good, Tharja's the best character in that game anyways.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tharja's too tertiary. Like, we're talking "you can accidentally kill her and play the rest of the game without her and not notice" tertiary. Lucina and Tactician both have way better chances.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems really hard for me to buy we're getting 3 Fire Emblem reps but it's also hard to buy there won't be any FE:A characters so who knows.

This makes it feel a lot more likely that nobody serious is getting cut though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

It seems really hard for me to buy we're getting 3 Fire Emblem reps but it's also hard to buy there won't be any FE:A characters so who knows.

This makes it feel a lot more likely that nobody serious is getting cut though.

There's an Awakening stage. There's no way there isn't an Awakening rep.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
I feel like, if there would be an Awakening rep other than the main three (Avatar/Chrom/Lucina), there's actually an incredibly good choice: Anna. Literally the series' mascot, who is playable in Awakening. I feel like she would actually fit really well given that it's basically a mascot fighting game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh hey, I thought Chrom was in for sure. Ike's great too. No Awakening representation so far- weird, since it's not only the most recent, but the most popular game in the series.

edit: I seem to remember a few leak lists that still technically got away with Greninja because "Gen V Pokemon". Pretty sure they all had Chrom, and no Ike. :haw:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 23, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Comedy option: Tharja is in, but you have to buy this to unlock her via NFC.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Maple Leaf posted:

These last two updates have been pretty neat. Wonder what's gonna be for Friday. I know I'm optimistic, but at this rate, I'm crossing my fingers for a veteran announcement.

Nailed it.

(But I was hoping for Wario. Oh well!)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think with Toon Link, Lucario and now this, it's safe to say almost then entire Brawl roster is coming back. Snake still feels a little bit up in the air and Solo Charizard makes it feel like Squirtle, Ivysaur and the trainer itself are gone entirely.

If they are being so quick to reuse past assets, I do hope they go back to Melee and pick up some dudes.

What i'm saying is I want Pichu in Smash 4.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Crawfish posted:

I think with Toon Link, Lucario and now this, it's safe to say almost then entire Brawl roster is coming back. Snake still feels a little bit up in the air and Solo Charizard makes it feel like Squirtle, Ivysaur and the trainer itself are gone entirely.

If they are being so quick to reuse past assets, I do hope they go back to Melee and pick up some dudes.

What i'm saying is I want Pichu in Smash 4.

I find it hard to believe that ROB and Lucas are returning, hard as it is for me to say that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah, I'd bet decent money on the Tactician/Avatar being in. Awakening's gotta have a rep and that game did well enough that just a Chrom or Lucina alt for one of the two confirmed dudes would come off as weird.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

The second best character from Radiant Dawn returns.

Though they have to keep the ":geno: I fight for my friends." taunt.

All I want is the boner taunt. Nnnnnnnnnnnghhghghgh

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TARDISman posted:

I find it hard to believe that ROB and Lucas are returning, hard as it is for me to say that.

Lucas I could see getting cut; no need to have both Ness and Lucas and ness is pretty much a lock since he's been in every previous Smash game.

ROB, on the other hand, I don't see any compelling reason that he wouldn't come back...he was unique, and fills the niche of "weird old Nintendo thingie" that we haven't really seen filled yet in the Smash 4 roster.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Poor Ninten will never be in Smash. :smith:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Whoa Ike showing up caught me completely off guard. Like most people, when I first heard there were going to be cuts my mind instantly went to Ike as one of the more obvious choices. Glad to have him back, and I really hope he still fights for his friends.

Hikarusa posted:

I feel like, if there would be an Awakening rep other than the main three (Avatar/Chrom/Lucina), there's actually an incredibly good choice: Anna. Literally the series' mascot, who is playable in Awakening. I feel like she would actually fit really well given that it's basically a mascot fighting game.

Hell yeah, I've been pullin' for Anna since I first played Awakening. She'd make perfect sense and has a lot of potential as a fun character if they base her off of the Trickster class that she starts off with Awakening. That said I still feel like Chrom or Lucina or possibly Robin has a better chance. Would love to be wrong though!

Anyway, now that Ike has been shown, I'm honestly really unsure if we're getting any cuts outside of the Pokemon Trainer and Snake. Before, I was positive that Lucas, Wolf or Falco, R.O.B., Ike, and maybe someone else were all getting cut for sure, but this changes everything. I was already excited for what they were going to show at E3, but somehow I'm even more pumped.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Poor Ninten will never be in Smash. :smith:

Final Smash: Eve :unsmigghh:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Why are people so confident Snake is getting cut?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder how much of the roster they're going to be showing off at the invitational at e3. I doubt it's going to be the full build, but I'm hoping to see a couple newcomers at least.

edit: I'd still bet on Lucas OR Ness and Falco OR Wolf (maybe both, honestly). They're clone-y enough that I wouldn't be surprised if they got the axe.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sandwolf posted:

Because he's a third-party character and MGS/Konami aren't on the best terms with Nintendo at the moment.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why would Chrom not get in the game now? I still think he's the most likely character to get in for FEA. This Ike looks pretty different from Chrom and Marth, I don't think the blue hair is that much of a problem.

THE loving MOON posted:

Oh hey, I thought Chrom was in for sure. Ike's great too. No Awakening representation so far- weird, since it's not only the most recent, but the most popular game in the series.

edit: I seem to remember a few leak lists that still technically got away with Greninja because "Gen V Pokemon". Pretty sure they all had Chrom, and no Ike. :haw:

The Gemastsu leak only talked about newcomers and not returning characters

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am really glad they brought back Ike instead of replacing him with a dude I don't recognize or care about.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Why would Chrom not get in the game now? I still think he's the most likely character to get in for FEA. This Ike looks pretty different from Chrom and Marth, I don't think the blue hair is that much of a problem.

The Gemastsu leak only talked about newcomers and not returning characters

Well it did say Chrom didn't it? Same moveset, but he would be a newcomer.

edit: Just checked. Yup.

edit: He's a swordguy lord whose signature move is also aether.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 23, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Basically, with Snake they have to once again weigh his relevance to Nintendo and the marketing value he adds to SSB, Konami has to make similar assessments, and they both have to navigate terms about how to present him and how he will be kept up to date with the way the MGS brand is currently being pushed (that could mean stuff like Kiefervoice too). There's a good chance that there isn't a deal that would be worth it to both parties right now.

Snake's connection to Nintendo was already thin and it's only gotten thinner; Rising and Ground Zeroes could have run on Wii U but never got ports, which is understandable from a financial perspective, but it also tells you how tight Nintendo is with Konami (not at all).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 23, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

THE loving MOON posted:

Well it did say Chrom didn't it? Same moveset, but he would be a newcomer.

edit: Just checked. Yup.

edit: He's a swordguy lord whose signature move is also aether.

Ness and Lucas, Marth and Roy were a thing, so a "clone" of Ike wouldn't be too unexpected. The leak I'm talking about just has character names: http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros

The avatar idea would be neat, but for now I still think they're going to go for the obvious swordguy, regardless of the leak being bullshit or not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

There are only so many ways to make 'man with sword' unique characters in a game like Smash. Marth and Ike both sorta have a niche as 'quick poke-y swordman' and 'slow tough swordman' but it's hard to think of what Chrom could bring the table(except maybe class change stuff but that'd work better with the Avatar).

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

They could just patch the functionality in later.

When has Nintendo ever released an update patch with a major feature for one of their games?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Because he's a third-party character and MGS/Konami aren't on the best terms with Nintendo at the moment.
The fact that the only support from that series we've gotten since Brawl was some subpar MGS3 handheld port that came out at the same time as the far superior in effort and value HD Collection doesn't help Snakes case either.

Honestly, i'd be cool with Snake getting cut if it meant Konami got to replace him with a Castlevania character. Probably one of the earlier ones to rake in that NES Nostalgia they are already getting from Mega Man.

Plus a Castlevania stage in HD would probably be pretty nice too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I would trade Snake for Simon Belmont in a heartbeat.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ike looks great but wow I would have bet a lot against his return. I'm going to interpret this as a burial of Chrom's chances in favor of someone with a bit more going on, like the Awakening avatar. I hope we at least lose some of the dead clone weight from Brawl. I'm thinking we get Brawl's full roster, minus the rest of the Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Lucas, and Wolf. I can't imagine anyone else being on the chopping block, maybe R.O.B.? The Ice Climbers, if the 3DS can't support them for some reason?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Tell that to Roy.

Who was an advertisement with no unique moves.

Sandwolf posted:

Because Kojima said he wasn't in and hasn't heard from Sakurai yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

net cafe scandal posted:

The Ice Climbers, if the 3DS can't support them for some reason?

Well, if Ike Climbers aren't in, it's pretty unlikely that Ice Climbers will be. This is flawless logic.

• Locked thread