Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

zakharov posted:

And why why why WHY would you bet $200 on a Daily Double when you're down by a lot and Alex has said there's less than a minute to go? Even if she'd gotten it right, she would have no chance of winning. BET TO WIN
She'd obviously given up and was "just happy to be here". I actually screamed when she said $200.

Just out of curiosity, how many days are we since the last male winner? Surely I'm incorrect, but it seems like women have been dominating since Arthur's reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

weakness posted:

She'd obviously given up and was "just happy to be here". I actually screamed when she said $200.

Just out of curiosity, how many days are we since the last male winner? Surely I'm incorrect, but it seems like women have been dominating since Arthur's reign.

21??

Not counting the tournament I think it's been 13 for Julia, 2 for Frederique and 6 for Sandie.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Julia is amazing, but man does her job sound boring. Also, yet another timid late DD bet that erased any chance a contestant might have had of winning.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Julia owns so I don't care if other contestants keeping betting stupid amounts on DD's.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
I saw the first two contestants on today's show before I saw Julia and thought it was a Kid's Jeopardy day.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I saw the first two contestants on today's show before I saw Julia and thought it was a Kid's Jeopardy day.

That's hilarious, I had the same reaction.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Hey Julia so you're a supply chain manager; what is that

Well I manage supply chains

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You can tell she just gets paid to dick around on the computer all day because she had no loving idea what to say.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Be honest who else laughed at the casting couch clue?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Be honest who else laughed at the casting couch clue?

Guilty

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

As am I.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Funnier if no one got it and Trebek would've had to say it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Steve's reaction to every time he gets beat on the buzzer is hilarious.

Also, "What is a booby" :haw:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Poor Steve - just a LITTLE too early on the buzzer every time.

Julia is great.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

wa27 posted:

Steve's reaction to every time he gets beat on the buzzer is hilarious.

Also, "What is a booby" :haw:

So salty, that it verged on poor sportsmanship. When Julia got one of the Daily Doubles, he looked disgusted.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The middle Brad Rutter looking dude pouting every time Julia crushed him was exquisite

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

"I was a sommelier" :smug:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It has to be frustrating to know so many of the answers and always get beat. His fault, but I don't think the guy was a shithead or anything like that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Julia is great, and watching her dominate the competition never gets old. Still, I kinda already know how many games she'll wind up winning, due to an aforementioned comment from the head Contestant Coordinator, but it is still fun watching the ride and finding out how much she'll eventually win.

15 games and over $314,000 right now, and she's still crushing the competition every time handily.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

GhostStalker posted:

Julia is great, and watching her dominate the competition never gets old. Still, I kinda already know how many games she'll wind up winning, due to an aforementioned comment from the head Contestant Coordinator, but it is still fun watching the ride and finding out how much she'll eventually win.

15 games and over $314,000 right now, and she's still crushing the competition every time handily.

Thanks for spoiling the fact that she loses eventually. :argh:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That is two straight complete beatdowns for Julia. Her opponents weren't bad either, as we could see when they managed to ring in.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Julia is a goddamn machine

GhostStalker posted:

Can you put it in spoiler tags for me so I don't have to feel nervous every game

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can you put it in spoiler tags for me so I don't have to feel nervous every game

I'll send you a PM.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Sorry if this is looked down upon, but does anyone have a link to that clip where the contestants gently caress up an answer about Apocalypse Now and Alex stares at them for a brief second completely disgusted? I can't find it anywhere. It was hilarious.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
They really are cherry picking some stupid drat contenders for Julia. The person answers superman today for the Three Doors Down question when it was in the clue and in the song played???

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Astrochicken posted:

Sorry if this is looked down upon, but does anyone have a link to that clip where the contestants gently caress up an answer about Apocalypse Now and Alex stares at them for a brief second completely disgusted? I can't find it anywhere. It was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJn3cny-e6w

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

yourafagpleasedie posted:

They really are cherry picking some stupid drat contenders for Julia. The person answers superman today for the Three Doors Down question when it was in the clue and in the song played???

They can't have cherry picked bad contenders for Julia to face because all her opponents were already picked before she started playing. And a contestant going for an answer without fully processing the clue is just something that happens from time to time; it doesn't necessarily mean the person is stupid (is Roger Craig stupid because he guessed "Lake Manitoba" on a critical Daily Double in the BotD final when the clue said the lake was fully contained in one province but shared the name of a city?). Since the other clues in that category all had names of superheroes as the responses, the contestant probably had it in her mind that the response would be a superhero's name and quickly identified the superhero in question without fully comprehending the rest of the clue.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

You may find this hard to believe, but the FBI would literally get involved if anyone had any evidence of this kind of thing happening.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Part of the problem when you get as far along as Julia has is that the challengers, even the smart ones, take chances they otherwise wouldn't because the streak makes them think they need to. Granted, often times they need to, but there's a mental aspect to this where challengers impede their own progress more than they should.

At the end of the day, you're just seeing the elite of the elite play the game and it's making contestants who might otherwise have been really good look dumb.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Overaggression because of being intimidated by another player's reputation. Also called "Roger Craig-ing".

edit: No lie, was hoping the guy stayed in the red and Julia would advance to Final Jeopardy all by herself.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 28, 2014

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

jscolon2.0 posted:

No lie, was hoping the guy stayed in the red and Julia would advance to Final Jeopardy all by herself.

Same here. Has that ever happened?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
20th Century Plays
Opera
Literature

"What are categories I will never get right?"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

So close to the fabled single-person Final Jeopardy :(

Julia has officially entered Beast Mode.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

MrNonacho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooBX8OXxjBM

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Another literary category for Julia to eat up, how convenient. Just so happens there to be one every episode for her!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

MrNonacho posted:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=163
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3599

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Another literary category for Julia to eat up, how convenient. Just so happens there to be one every episode for her!

Literature is one of the most common Jeopardy subjects, up there with Shakespeare, world capitals, and presidents. Please go read something, anything, about the quiz show scandals and all the precautions game shows take to avoid anything resembling funny business.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Please stop responding seriously to forums poster yourafagpleasedie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
First off, I've gone from disliking Julia during her first few games to thinking she's one of my favorite players ever (and she makes my pants feel funny). Second - she broke 10K at the first commercial break?! That's utterly insane. I got the feeling she purposely took her foot off the peddle down the stretch to let her competition get out of the red. Either way, I loved Arthur and I hope and expect Julia to mop the floor with him at this point. Her knowledge base seems miles deeper.

edit: GhostStalker, I'm super excited for your appearance but drat I wish you hadn't let the cat out of the bag on this one.

Guido Merkens fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 28, 2014