Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

AnonSpore posted:

Nope, though it is a hell of a lot farther along than Murata's version is.

ONE also updates very rarely so if you read the original you will have to wait forever for the next installment.

You should binge through Mob Psycho 100 instead if you want to suffer ONE's poor art for his good stories/characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Mob Psycho is a step above OPM as far as art goes though, I don't know that I'd ever call it "poor".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Boogaleeboo posted:

Mob Psycho is a step above OPM as far as art goes though, I don't know that I'd ever call it "poor".

I think over in the ONE thread the consensus is that ONE's art is serviceable. It's not pretty by any stretch but it does a great job at conveying what's happening so you are never left wondering what the gently caress is going on.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What's the deal with ONE, is he a writer and not an artist? Is he working on something else?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's the deal with ONE, is he a writer and not an artist? Is he working on something else?

He's a writer and an artist, but he usually only puts effort into being a writer.

Mostly he's working on Mob Psycho 100 which looks generic and terrible but is actually pretty great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought Mob Psycho was by one of One's assistants, not One himself.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why would One need assistants? All of his stuff is first draft sketches, or at least looks that way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I kind of like ONE's art despite the bad sketchiness of it. He's good at composition and conveying action even if he's not great at drawing (or puts a lot less effort into the actual drawings maybe).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His art is very rough, but he puts a lot of effort put into the perspectives and flow of action. Murata is awesome on his own merits, but his version is frequently a panel-by-panel reproduction of ONE's original. In other words, while ONE isn't a great artist, he is great at using comics to tell a story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How could you look at ONE's art and think he has assistants

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also ONE just doesn't... put effort into things he doesn't need to. Which makes it far more amusing when the sketchy comic is interrupted by a dramatically drawn and heavily detailed face, monster, setting, or whatever.

And like mentioned, whatever you think of the art, he's amazingly good at conveying motion and action even with the rough sketchy style. There's a lot of high quality comics that can't pull that off nearly as well.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

Also ONE just doesn't... put effort into things he doesn't need to. Which makes it far more amusing when the sketchy comic is interrupted by a dramatically drawn and heavily detailed face, monster, setting, or whatever.

And like mentioned, whatever you think of the art, he's amazingly good at conveying motion and action even with the rough sketchy style. There's a lot of high quality comics that can't pull that off nearly as well.

Your mind brings ONE's drawings to life on its own. Trying to imagine what Murata's interpretations of those drawings are going to be like is my favorite thing about Onepunch-man.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Asimo posted:

Yup.
When he does want the panel to be good, it will be really good.

There's this really important bit in MB100 (kinda central to the overarching storyline though, so it's spoilers) which got an amazing panel done for it.

For those that read it's ???%

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yup.
When he does want the panel to be good, it will be really good.

There's this really important bit in MB100 (kinda central to the overarching storyline though, so it's spoilers) which got an amazing panel done for it.

For those that read it's ???%
Can you give an example?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I have some examples from OPM that I think show ONE's art prowess but they are all spoilers for the most recent ONE arc, at times quite big ones. I'll give a rough summary of what's in each for those curious.

As a quick explanation of what I consider good; we're looking at composition and forms, allowing for stylisation choice. The sketchiness is subjective style and I don't think it's something to be used when gauging ability. BECUASE!

Okay!

http://imgur.com/MFl8BDS Super Alloy Darkshine and the big villain for the most recent arc. Even for ONE Darkshine is remarkably sketchy (heh) in this panel but I think it conveys a great sense of motion and despite this roughness the form is still, to me, really clear.

http://imgur.com/izFoT7d Big spoiler A mysterious being that supposedly granted power to one of the minor villains of the most recent arc. ONE sans the sketchyness and showing his ability to draw some creepy loving characters. Also butt. It hits a fine line between looking unnatural yet not so weird that it just looks like nonsense. It's easy to over do this and I think ONE landed it pretty dam well.

http://imgur.com/Bi11ef0 Handsome Mask and Child Emperor getting beat up. Just look at those two top panels. The art isn't Murata level but again, I think the roughness really goes toward conveying the mood. It's more serious and tense than usual but what I really love is the composition and this page is a great example of ONEs eye for this. The first panel is a wide shot and then the second jumps to a close up not of the action but the after effect giving a wonderful idea of how fast the attack was. You just see the character recoiling and a spurt of blood still hanging in the air. I love this page.

http://imgur.com/xuQYJqz Handsome Mast holding a rock. Look at that loving rock. Look at that pose which leaves you in no doubt it's heavy. The only thing that would make this better is some more background detail which goes for a lot of ONEs pages. Everything looks like it's in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber as it is now.

So these are a few pages/panels where I think ONE shows more of his skill. There were some others but I felt they were too spoilery even for this. ONE's not fantastic but he's improving steadily and making it clear the low quality of other panels is intentional and not just lack of ability.

At some point I'd like to go through some of the arcs both versions have covered to do some panel to panel comparisons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It should be noted that OPM is something One does on the side, whereas he actually gets paid for Mob Psycho 100. As such it has better art quality overall, and some legitimately good pages. Like this (spoilery) one. http://i.imgur.com/uaQ5Ni4.jpg. Or this (less spoilery) one. http://i.imgur.com/xDjQxoo.jpg

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
It's been quite a while since this updated, anyone know what the status is?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Revdomezehis posted:

It's been quite a while since this updated, anyone know what the status is?

Murata decided that he didn't have enough work to do, so he's now also trying to become an animator.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Terror Sweat posted:

Murata decided that he didn't have enough work to do, so he's now also trying to become an animator.

For real? Goddamn this will be finished in 2035.

Genocyber posted:

It should be noted that OPM is something One does on the side, whereas he actually gets paid for Mob Psycho 100. As such it has better art quality overall, and some legitimately good pages. Like this (spoilery) one. http://i.imgur.com/uaQ5Ni4.jpg. Or this (less spoilery) one. http://i.imgur.com/xDjQxoo.jpg

Seeing at those examples, ONE strikes me like being really good artist is just that his characters aren't as detailed as his backgrounds.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So here's the deal, Murata took down the last chapter (46) because he redrew the one before it (read it here) and the chapter which is due next week will replace the current chapter 46.

e: And no he is not becoming an animator, he took a short break to study animation techniques.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 23, 2014

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

He redrew the gently caress out of it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare:

Sure, it'd never work on a project being done for money on a deadline, but jesus christ that art.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Only one thing bugs me with this (Major spoilers if you havent read ONE's version) It completely takes the impact out of Garou landing that first hit on Saitama. When he dodges his punch and kicks him in the face that was the first time anyone genuinely landed a hit on Saitama, even if there was no damage, and it was built up for half the manga so it was a gently caress-yeah moment. But now that Random Anime Person just liver punched him randomly and gave him a backhead smack, it's not going to be a big deal anymore. I'd much rather the exact same events happened this chapter except Saitama blocked that gutpunch.

It made Garou stand out as a villain and was a major payoff to that arc, but now it's going to be just another regular battle.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bisse posted:

Only one thing bugs me with this (Major spoilers if you havent read ONE's version) It completely takes the impact out of Garou landing that first hit on Saitama. When he dodges his punch and kicks him in the face that was the first time anyone genuinely landed a hit on Saitama, even if there was no damage, and it was built up for half the manga so it was a gently caress-yeah moment. But now that Random Anime Person just liver punched him randomly and gave him a backhead smack, it's not going to be a big deal anymore. I'd much rather the exact same events happened this chapter except Saitama blocked that gutpunch.

It made Garou stand out as a villain and was a major payoff to that arc, but now it's going to be just another regular battle.

You know, the backhead smack from Boros happened also in the original version.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can someone explain the hiatus?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thoren posted:

Murata forgot to sacrifice a few goats to whatever evil entity that grants him his supernatural drawing skills.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoren posted:

Murata is busy improving his skills.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/242580/onepunch-man_ch34.55_by_nerieru-scans/2 posted:

"We apologise for the lack of updates lately. Murata Yuusuke is currently improving his skills from the animation department at Toei, so please enjoy this extra chapter that originally came out in the Young Jump magazine. The next update will be on 15th May."

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
but Saitama vs. Geno already shows that Murata is a genius animator too!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Before long Murata will be able to just draw gifs on paper.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Loved that extra chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bisse posted:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The gently caress, I completely forgot this.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

On another note:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/245500/onepunch-man_ch34.6v2_by_nerieru-scans/9

I love this shot and the disparity between the two's fighting styles. Boros is making GBS threads himself giving all he's got. Saitama however is mostly flapping his arms around in some kind of improvised 100 Crack Fist move, he doesn't even clench his fist. It's obvious that although he's god the speed reflexes and power of a god, Saitama has no skills at all when it comes to fighting style. (Which is logical when you don't even need to put any effort in in the first place)

Makes you wonder what kind of punches he could throw if he took a karate lesson. (And did 100 katas a day with no breaks, even when it's really hard, and with the AC turned off)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I thought that panel was supposed to imply that he is only blocking, and not actually throwing punches.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bisse posted:

On another note:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/245500/onepunch-man_ch34.6v2_by_nerieru-scans/9

I love this shot and the disparity between the two's fighting styles. Boros is making GBS threads himself giving all he's got. Saitama however is mostly flapping his arms around in some kind of improvised 100 Crack Fist move, he doesn't even clench his fist. It's obvious that although he's god the speed reflexes and power of a god, Saitama has no skills at all when it comes to fighting style. (Which is logical when you don't even need to put any effort in in the first place)

Makes you wonder what kind of punches he could throw if he took a karate lesson. (And did 100 katas a day with no breaks, even when it's really hard, and with the AC turned off)

Maybe one day he will actually take up Bang's offer to be his student, and combine Bang's fighting technique with his own godlike speed, reflexes and power. :swoon:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Maybe one day he will actually take up Bang's offer to be his student, and combine Bang's fighting technique with his own godlike speed, reflexes and power. :swoon:

I doubt Saitama would go for anything that makes him even stronger, when his number one problem is already that nothing can pose a challenge.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bisse posted:

Saitama has no skills at all when it comes to fighting style. (Which is logical when you don't even need to put any effort in in the first place)

Ahhhh, man. Remember you said that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bisse posted:

you know you're not supposed to post anything about ONE in here.

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo
As someone who's read One Punch Man since the beginning, I only have one thing to say. How the gently caress does Murata get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

NTRKouhai posted:

As someone who's read One Punch Man since the beginning, I only have one thing to say. How the gently caress does Murata get better?

Draws a hundred sketches every day, no air conditioning