Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's an article on the Nation saying the airports are still running, but I'm curious to know what happens if I land in Bangkok at 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You'd be allowed through with a ticket, but whether you'd be able to get a taxi is another matter.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Wait, by borders you mean road crossings, right?

I'm leaving tomorrow to KL for the weekend...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I wouldn't swear to anything, but they've never closed the border before. Basically, if you're a truckload of brown people you're getting searched at a checkpoint either because they think you're immigrants sneaking in or because they think you're protesters sneaking in. Otherwise, nothing.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So if I'm going to be heading to Thailand next weekend for a few days (not Bangkok) where would be good? I'm going with a colleague and not really sure where to hit up. She suggested Phuket which seemed like a poor choice. I'm thinking Chiang Mai and assuming/hoping that the whole coup thing won't interfere.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't personally care for Phuket. Krabi's nicer if you're interested in that part of Thailand.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Will be in Thailand in almost 2 weeks, and was planning on staying for about a month. Will be really interested to see how things go over the next few weeks. How accurate is western reporting - Just browsing the news makes this seem like a very bloodless event, but I'm curious about that accuracy.

ReindeerF - do you have any advice on news agencies. I'll also second your recommendation of Krabi - thought it was fantastic and I wasn't wading through bros and was able to continue practicing Thai. And still incredibly beautiful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If I get stuck in the airport, are the airport bar prices at least reasonable?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ragaduffin posted:

Will be in Thailand in almost 2 weeks, and was planning on staying for about a month. Will be really interested to see how things go over the next few weeks. How accurate is western reporting - Just browsing the news makes this seem like a very bloodless event, but I'm curious about that accuracy.

ReindeerF - do you have any advice on news agencies.
Not really, no. Jump on Twitter and read everything until you figure out which ones are routinely better. I guess when I really want to get past the international news people I'll hit New Mandala, Andrew MacGregor Marshall and so on. I'm trying to remember some of the others, it mostly happens on a clickfest of indie news sources and I forget what's what.

It's all very bloodless right now, yeah. No indications of it being otherwise at the moment. Still, it's like trying to predict if HAMAS will lob rockets into Jerusalem or whatever.

Atlas Hugged posted:

If I get stuck in the airport, are the airport bar prices at least reasonable?
No and they suck at their jobs. If you want to drink cheaply, go to the 7-11 on the bottom floor next to the Airport Rail Link and buy beer there. Drink it at the benches nearby. Suvarnabhumi is poo poo for cocktails and things. I've had some of the worst bloody marys of my life there.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

No and they suck at their jobs. If you want to drink cheaply, go to the 7-11 on the bottom floor next to the Airport Rail Link and buy beer there. Drink it at the benches nearby. Suvarnabhumi is poo poo for cocktails and things. I've had some of the worst bloody marys of my life there.
Also true at Changi Airport, and the 7-11 strategy also works there (both before and after passport control, though after is clearly superior since tax-free)

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

According to people here, you can expect the curfew to have teeth only in Bangkok, and only for a couple days. Supposedly, the land borders are closed, but after the last coup they were only closed for 2 days. All schools are closed for the next 3 days.

So I guess the moral of this story is that the coup will annoy us for about 3 days, after which it will be business as usual.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sounds like the last curfew, though there was a story somewhere that the Thai Royal Navy had taken over the Pattaya Police HQ or something. That can only be good for the country.

A client asked today whether the TV was broken :lol:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Fucks sake, trust me to leave on the day everything kicks off AGAIN. This is about the third time. Now, I'm not one for disaster tourism but I couldn't imagine anything more fascinating than being in Bangkok at the moment. Or even back on Koh Tao, where it looks like everything is as normal... for a while. We'll see how long it stays normal, what with the disruptions to beer and food supplies.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
loving Obama's Thailand.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

FortMan posted:

Yep 10pm to 5am. Just starting tonight though, iirc.

Good ol' Thailand. The bar just closed its doors and everyone got pissed inside. Got loving hot in there though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Finch! posted:

Fucks sake, trust me to leave on the day everything kicks off AGAIN. This is about the third time.

Finch Shinawatra

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Sheep-Goats posted:

Finch Shinawatra

Without the billions of morally reprehensibly and illegally obtained dollars :(

Edit: Also :lol: at the caption on the first image: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...0522-38rrc.html

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

cent0r posted:

Good ol' Thailand. The bar just closed its doors and everyone got pissed inside. Got loving hot in there though.

Did people just stay until 5am?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ReindeerF posted:

Sounds like the last curfew, though there was a story somewhere that the Thai Royal Navy had taken over the Pattaya Police HQ or something. That can only be good for the country.

A client asked today whether the TV was broken :lol:

Honestly, I never encountered a situation where I felt better around the Thai Police than the Thai Military

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

loving Obama's Thailand.
:lol:

If you haven't checked the US Embassy BKK's post of the Kerry statement, do. The comments are hysterical. They're like the inverse of a political YAHOO News comments thread in even worse English.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Honestly, I never encountered a situation where I felt better around the Thai Police than the Thai Military

Guess you missed that story from about ten years ago where they stacked all the protestors into trucks like cordwood and like a hundred people suffocated to death.

Never underestimate Thai paternalistic incompetence.

ReindeerF posted:

:lol:

If you haven't checked the US Embassy BKK's post of the Kerry statement, do. The comments are hysterical. They're like the inverse of a political YAHOO News comments thread in even worse English.

John Kerry, Secretary of State, Apparently posted:

I am disappointed by the decision of the Thai military to suspend the constitution and take control of the government after a long period of political turmoil, and there is no justification for this military coup. I am concerned by reports that senior political leaders of Thailand’s major parties have been detained and call for their release. I am also concerned that media outlets have been shut down. I urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms. The path forward for Thailand must include early elections that reflect the will of the people.

While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.–Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with U.S. law.

That's the whole thing.

Finch! posted:

Without the billions of morally reprehensibly and illegally obtained dollars :(

Edit: Also :lol: at the caption on the first image: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...0522-38rrc.html

A Thai friend of a friend, who is kind of unpleasant to be around but who is, her friends agree, jai dee, got her start in the business world by cloning cell phones and setting up a little table near the college cafeteria with below-rate calling to wherever. Every time I hear a Thai person talking about their business plan I'm kind of on edge until I hear the goofy part (unless its just a pyramid scheme). What I'm saying is maybe there's something borderline insane or criminal you an add to your diving whatsits.

(This is my most ThaiVisa post ITT)

raton fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 23, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea, I wasn't in Thailand 10 years ago :P I have, however, been shaken down for help (i.e. their job) by the police twice in my ~1 year worth of time there. One after my friend had a home invasion robbery and once a motorcycle of mine was stolen. The military are always just around, doing nothing or being helpful to tourists.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Well, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tak_Bai_incident (psst, they were Thai muslims, that's part of why you didn't hear about it)

Oh also after it happened Thaksin (who was Prime Minster at the time) got on TV and said he was sorry. He also said something like "It's Ramadan, you know, so they're probably weaker than normal."

The Tourist Police are actually helpful and relatively non-corrupt. Relatively. And while I agree that most of your interactions with Thai cops end with them holding their hand out I'd almost rather give my 200B or whatever to a man in skintight brown pajamas then some frumpy judge lady here in the States.

Anyway, let's learn Thai!

"Hua Ping Pong" = Ping Pong Head, for the helmet often worn by Thai cops. An old fashioned, more kind-hearted way to say pig. Taxi drivers like it when you say "Hua ping pong!"

raton fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 23, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Did people just stay until 5am?

I'm sure some people did. We just went back at about 2 and didn't see any cops/military hanging about.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

John Kerry sounds sort of like a teacher threatening a naughty kid with detention.

Cue one week of people randomly telling me to stop my country from putting its nose into other countries business. Seriously guys, if I had that kind of power I probably wouldn't be living here where my greatest asset is the ability to speak my native language.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Thai reaction to this stuff is as dumb as the American reaction, though. He's completely right, they're just butthurt like teabaggers who flip out when Canadians point out that having healthcare is nice and condemn our healthcare system.

YEAH WELL WAITIN LINES COMMANISM.

WUT DO U KNO!?!

EDIT: I was focused on the comments, not his statement. These are first grabs from the pageload:

quote:

I'm sorry.. But most of Thais are happy this time. Better than having the corrupt government run the country just because they won the election with the vote buying. Thailand Government is broke from the stupid policy and they didn't want to take responsibility by stepping down. We'd been waiting for a long time and we think they deserve this way. Democracy or election is not always the answer.

quote:

Please do not intervene in my country, democracy will be back soon once Taksinomics and corruption disappear from Thailand...thx for your concern...

quote:

USA-EU ,This is Thailand.
Elected government allows terrorist collect large number of guns and bombs. More than 20 deaths caused by these weapons. Just 2 days of martial law, soldiers seize these weapons, people feel safe and happy. Human life is more important than human right! Let Thai cope our own problems and Thai 'll be back on the right track.
Don't worry,

quote:

Dear John Kerry

Thai, means freedom...... but this freedom is stay within the limit of goodness. We are different from USA which is always freedom for all nonsense things.
Thai soldiers are stopping people from violence. Those bad people who caused violence shot many people, but Thai soldier just use weapons to scare the poop out of those bad people.
From my opinion: USA should just shut up and stop giving opinion for now, or you are going to make it worst.Our relationship will staying good, if you stop trying to make Thailand a democracy country, because it can also means that you will fall our king. Our relationship will stay good except you guys go to help bad people fight and give them right. Of cause we will give bad people the right, but inside the jail.
If you think your country living in the great freedom and right, then leave away from the country you are staying because your nation is not the first land owner of that place. You live with your democracy, Thai live with monarchy we are different.......

regard,

quote:

Dear John Kerry,
$10 million aid-cut means very little to Thailand. The Thaksin regime has abused more than $8,000 million out of the national budget. If the US is so happy and proud to support Thaksin corrupted regime, so be it. Someday the US will wake up and realize the difference between an authoritarian Thaksin regime under the disguise of their brand of democracy, and the full democracy as described by Alexis de Tocqueville 180 years ago. We in Thailand are now fiercely fighting for full democracy and will not settle for less.
+
Dear BBC and CNN,
Crisis in Thailand is certainly beyond you grasp. Time and more education will improve your understanding of Thailand.
Somkiat Onwimon
Bangkok
23 May 2014 "

quote:

Please remember , this is Thailand not Afganistan we choose what we want for our country. I saw your country has been trying to help those countries around the world( syria, pakistan,iraq and iran) America is the best right? always start the wars what a lovely country well done.

Aside from all the things we already know, such as America being the world's last quasi-colonial power, launching wars in Iraq and Afgahnistan, launching drone strikes in Pakistan and every other thing every post-LF goon can fart in their sleep, it helps to understand A) that Thai people on both sides are constantly lied to about America's role in this - with yellows being told constantly in Thai media that the US supports Thaksin and has offered him amnesty or a visa or whatever B) yellow types are currently being told by their versions of Rush Limbaugh that America is planning to invade or intervene or whatever and C) Thai people are, by and large, a lot like Americans in their total indignant insecurity about their country's reputation.

\/\/\/\/ Fortman returns! Stick around - educate us.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 23, 2014

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Hua Ping Pong" = Ping Pong Head, for the helmet often worn by Thai cops. An old fashioned, more kind-hearted way to say pig. Taxi drivers like it when you say "Hua ping pong!"

Only traffic cops wear those helmets, actually. So the term usually means traffic cops. They are, however, the cops people are most likely to interact with in day-to-day life, so...

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Goddamnit I left the country a day before the coup. I've never been to a coup before :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Amateur.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
There are a couple of Thai students in my SEAsia IR Grad program and they are just utterly pissed at this coup. Distraught facebook statuses, protests pictures, etc. I think it's interesting to talk to them about these issues though, because they're all from well-off families I think (hence being able to fly over to the US and study here and speak great English), so there's a Yellow inclination there, but they've had enough Western education that they see through the veneer of BS regarding the "unelected people's council" Suthep was gunning for so hard and to have some measure of respect for actual democracy meaning accepting the results when your party doesn't always win.

As far as the coup itself goes... I know the common understanding is coup=bad, but in this case, can't we adopt a "wait and see" approach? It's not like they were going to be getting anywhere with Red and Yellow just squabbling back and forth. At least this breaks up the stalemate, and we'll see what happens from here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My problem is that anytime you communicate to people that "once you disagree it's okay to jettison the institutions" it gets ingrained and if you do it over and over then no one cares anymore. Everyone learns the lesson that if they don't like something they don't have to care. The other obvious problem is that it poisons & de-legitimizes every action by the new government and creates masses of new blood feud enemies. What I've seen as the breaking point for a lot of wealthy, educated Yellow types is that they don't want endless war. They support status quo as long as it goes somewhere, but if it's just forever refusing to solve anything then they're out - this is particularly the largely pragmatic Chinese middle and upper-middle classes who just want to make money. So, you know, they're better than teabaggers!

I mean as bad as America is right now, with arguably the worst Congress in a century, would we want David Petraeus to intervene and install McChrystal as Temporary President? Imagine the message that would send.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Welllllllllll........

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, no one is chucking grenades into Scalia's garbage.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Serious reply, you're right of course, but I think that the frequency of coups in Thailand kind of makes it more palatable. The coup they pulled in 06 caused half of this whole gently caress-up anyway, if they can re-coup and fix things then I call that a good coup. I dunno. Obviously there is no "fix" really and so that's where this idea breaks down.

What if they pulled the coup and put Yingluck back in? Just said "No no, you guys really hosed things up and just completely cheated this time. She's still PM". I don't know. I'm just hoping for not-Burma out of this.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Genie's out of the bottle. A brazen crook told the poor people that they mattered and they thought he meant it. Turns out that they do matter and that, as usual, the elite here are completely unprepared for what happens when the hoi poloi don't kowtow and grovel at your feet. I don't see any way out of this short of self-rule or something very violent and un-Thai. Really, I mean what other way does it go? There's a whole generation here raised on international media, with the internet and who has been imbued with the notion that they're not subjects or serfs, but citizens. That poo poo actually works for a while until you invent pro-sports and what not.

EDIT: I would submit to rule by Lee Kuan Yew in America if I thought he would take the job!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

My problem is that anytime you communicate to people that "once you disagree it's okay to jettison the institutions" it gets ingrained and if you do it over and over then no one cares anymore.

I blame George Bush popularizing the recount in Florida.

Oh and he caused a poo poo load of problems for the rest of the world yet he's still in a decent position. I'm sure other leaders in the world are just jealous with envy :v: What? I can be an rear end in a top hat, bomb a lot of countries, and just whine for a recount and keep my seat? :downsrim:

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Guys how has this guy not posted in this thread? He's even crazier than duck!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636785

quote:

After last weekend, however, everything changed. I dont know if its because of the fight I had with my girlfriend(she got mad jealous because I spent an entire night in a [titty] bar with my friend, she thinks we were there to hit on girls which was not the case, for me, at least) or if its because my boss heard from someone that we were smoking meth that weekend. However I'm fairly certain that there is a conspiracy of almost a dozen mutual friends of ours to end our friendship. I think they have told him to not answer my calls and to stay away from places I spend time at.

quote:

Fair enough. Problem is I live in a kind of small little town in Thailand, and "farangs"(foreigners) here pretty much all know each other. So everyone I know is linked to my boss.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Do not alert this particular individual to this thread.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yodaaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Guys how has this guy not posted in this thread? He's even crazier than duck!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636785

Wow, I'm getting flashbacks from Vietnam reading that thread.