Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I don't have raw figures, you'd need to check their terms and conditions for those, but I'm pretty sure you can only "return" a certain number of novels before having to seek a support ticket if you wanted to do more, and only for books in your library for less than a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I knew about the year limit. About the number of exchanges it only says that it's up to Audible's discretion, and if they suspect abuse. Different people seem to get different limits. I suspect that since I'm from Russia, I'm not going to get much confidence. :(

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm gonna say it's some kind of ratio of purchases vs returns. A good part of it is probably "we'll know it when we see it" though.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
In my case would have been 1:1 :downs: On the other hand it says that I'm not the slowest learner in the world and discovered return policy having finished only the second book (including the freebie).

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Hi everyone. I have a couple of questions about audible and I was hoping to get a goon opinion on the service:

1. How is the android ap? Does it allow for downloading content to the phone when on wireless for later play? Can you choose how much to download at a time?

2. The credit system seems like something that could be annoying... do all of the new and/or popular releases cost more than 1 credit? If you get only 1 credit per month and you want to get something that is a two credit book can you buy the extra credit?

3. If you discontinue your subscription do you lose your collection?

4. My dad has similar reading tastes as myself. Is is possible to share an account?

Thanks!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

el_brio posted:

Hi everyone. I have a couple of questions about audible and I was hoping to get a goon opinion on the service:

1. How is the android ap? Does it allow for downloading content to the phone when on wireless for later play? Can you choose how much to download at a time?

2. The credit system seems like something that could be annoying... do all of the new and/or popular releases cost more than 1 credit? If you get only 1 credit per month and you want to get something that is a two credit book can you buy the extra credit?

4. My dad has similar reading tastes as myself. Is is possible to share an account?

Thanks!

1. I like the Android app a lot. You can set it to download via WiFi only, and most really long books are divided into parts so you can download sections of a book at a time (or choose "download all parts" when looking at a book in your library).

2. I've seen very few books that I was interested in that cost more than 1 credit, but yes, you can go and buy an extra credit any time (and I can't count how many times they run 3-for-1 credit sales).

3. I've yet to discontinue my subscription, but bought books are bought books and you can redownload them as much as you want (you just won't get to use credits for books you want to buy; you can still pay MSRP for them, though).

4. Sharing is tricky, as the app is linked to your Audible account. If you and your dad don't mind sharing a library/account, it can be done, just don't go sharing with the whole neighborhood or anything. It's technically a violation of the terms, but I think Audible gives no shits as long as it isn't a hundred devices using the same account.

Basically, download the app to the device you use and the device your dad uses, then use the same login credentials for both. Audible promotes installing the app on all your phones/PCs/Tablets, so two Android devices using the same account shouldn't raise any eyebrows with them. Like I said, though, don't go wild sharing.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Gah! You can buy additional credits? Where? I've found some 1 credit books that are like a million hours long (to listen to while working), but in dollars they're quite a bit more expensive.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

el_brio posted:

Thanks!

1) I don't use the android app much at all, but when I have used it I was happy with it. You can definitely download stuff for later listening.
2) I had this exact same concern something like 6 years ago when I subscribed. Over all those years I got maybe 3 books that were two credits (they are one credit now). I have since switched to the two credits / month plan, so I've listened to a LOT of books on audible.
3) Your books are your books. They are still wrapped up in audible's DRM, but you can still play them and whatnot.
4) I haven't tried this, but I'm sure you can figure something out if you try. If you live near your dad it will probably be trivial to make it work.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

armorer posted:

4) I haven't tried this, but I'm sure you can figure something out if you try. If you live near your dad it will probably be trivial to make it work.

Think you get up to 5 activations on different computers/devices (and if you do it on a computer with iTunes, that multiplies by the number of iDevices you can associate with the iTunes instance I think). Should be possible to share. If you both use the app and listen to the same book at the same time you might have issues as the current position from the different devices try to sync up, but otherwise should work, and if you use iTunes to sync won't be an issue.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

supermikhail posted:

Gah! You can buy additional credits? Where? I've found some 1 credit books that are like a million hours long (to listen to while working), but in dollars they're quite a bit more expensive.

There's usually an ad at the top of the screen for them whenever they're running the sale, though this may be a thing you only see if you're already a subscriber (for people that have already used their subscription credit for the month, but want to get more credits without changing subscriptions).

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, it's probably because I'm still in my free month. There's probably some sneaky business reason, although I can't see what. (I mean, for this ad not showing for me.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

supermikhail posted:

Oh, it's probably because I'm still in my free month. There's probably some sneaky business reason, although I can't see what. (I mean, for this ad not showing for me.)

When there isn't an ad, there's always a link at the top that says something like "Buy 3 Credits" in plain link text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Says they'd rather chat.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They are an Amazon company which means they have the best customer support in the universe. Chat them up and tell them you want to buy credits. You'll probably even be able to sweet talk them into a discount on the credits while you're at it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

When there isn't an ad, there's always a link at the top that says something like "Buy 3 Credits" in plain link text.

What do credits bought like this cost?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't think this is an actual sale, but here's what they gave me just now.

Still cheaper than full retail on some one credit books out there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Audible has a sale on atm for "under the radar" books for $4.00

http://www.audible.com/mt/HGMAY14/?source_code=AUDOREM04241499FF

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

el_brio posted:

I'll answer this since I canceled my account a couple years ago. You keep all your books, but you lose all your credits. So just use up all your credits on stuff you'll want eventually before you cancel. I'm still working on my backlog and I can still redownload things I already bought despite not having paid them any money for some time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Audible has a sale on atm for "under the radar" books for $4.00

http://www.audible.com/mt/HGMAY14/?source_code=AUDOREM04241499FF
Harry Connoly's Twenty Palaces series was pretty fun for me, sort of an underdoggier Dresden Files without the constant harping on driving a lovely little VW Bug everywhere, and without the inevitable super-saiyan powerup deus ex machinas. I was sad that the series was dumped and hope he manages to kickstart it or w/e the plan was to get it rolling, again.

Also there's some Clive Barker - I've always wanted to read The Hellbound Heart.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 12, 2014

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I just finished up the latest entry in the Destroyermen series, Deadly Shores, narrated by William Dufris. The book series has been alright, bit of fun alternate history/parallel world adventuring, but the narration has been the highlight of the audiobook series for me. Dufris having to contend with voicing a -huge- cast of characters and accents from every imaginable cultural group, and even completely different species, has been thoroughly entertaining. He pulls off most well, even when it's voicing something like a battle-hardened anthropomorphic female lemur marine having a somewhat philosophical discussion with a former officer of the Empire of Japan. :allears:

Regardless, I found myself saddened that I'd have to wait for the next installment of the series to continue listening to this wonderful man. When suddenly, having just started the Old Man's War audiobook, I realize he's also the voice actor for this series as well. After checking wikipedia, apparently he also voiced Bob the Builder and Lupin III.

What I'm saying is that I think I have a weird man-crush on William Dufris.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

space kobold posted:

I just finished up the latest entry in the Destroyermen series, Deadly Shores, narrated by William Dufris. The book series has been alright, bit of fun alternate history/parallel world adventuring, but the narration has been the highlight of the audiobook series for me. Dufris having to contend with voicing a -huge- cast of characters and accents from every imaginable cultural group, and even completely different species, has been thoroughly entertaining. He pulls off most well, even when it's voicing something like a battle-hardened anthropomorphic female lemur marine having a somewhat philosophical discussion with a former officer of the Empire of Japan. :allears:

Regardless, I found myself saddened that I'd have to wait for the next installment of the series to continue listening to this wonderful man. When suddenly, having just started the Old Man's War audiobook, I realize he's also the voice actor for this series as well. After checking wikipedia, apparently he also voiced Bob the Builder and Lupin III.

What I'm saying is that I think I have a weird man-crush on William Dufris.

Yeah he's top notch, definitely a tie breaker when I'm deciding on what to get with my credits. Simon Vance is this for me as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just finished Words of Radiance read by Michael Kramer/Kate Redding after doing the entire Wheel of Time done by them. I have tried other authors but after 6 months of listening to only those two straight everyone else sounds weird, does anyone have any recommendations of other good series they have read?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I just finished Words of Radiance read by Michael Kramer/Kate Redding after doing the entire Wheel of Time done by them. I have tried other authors but after 6 months of listening to only those two straight everyone else sounds weird, does anyone have any recommendations of other good series they have read?

The Mistborn series, it's read by Michael Kramer. It's in the same "'verse" as WoK/WoR but it's not necessary to know that unless you want to get into the mythology.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have an opinion on "The Sun Also Rises"?
I want to try a Hemingway novel (that isn't The Old Man and the Sea).
I'd ask about For Whom the Bell Tolls, but apparently the language is edited, and the narrator himself just sounds braindead.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone have an opinion on "The Sun Also Rises"?
I want to try a Hemingway novel (that isn't The Old Man and the Sea).
I'd ask about For Whom the Bell Tolls, but apparently the language is edited, and the narrator himself just sounds braindead.

John Slattery ( of mad men) does A Farewell to Arms.

I'm underimpressed by Hemmingway's writing, but Slattery does a stellar job.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So here's a request, anyone have recommends on fiction or non-fiction about nature, fishing, hunting, camping and the like? Something along the lines of A River Runs Through It would be most excellent, or perhaps some Steinbeck (although they seem to not be available for purchase on audible right now, which is a shame because I'd love to listen to Cannery Row or Travels With Charlie again). I'm trying to break the second or third inception level by going fishing and listening to a book about fishing and stuff.

Not Patrick McManus or other comedy "sports" writers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Does Jeremy Wade's memoir on the making of River Monsters count?

It has fishing in it. :v:

I liked it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Kraps posted:

The Mistborn series, it's read by Michael Kramer. It's in the same "'verse" as WoK/WoR but it's not necessary to know that unless you want to get into the mythology.

Same "verse" in a very very broad sense of the word, as in most people wouldn't guess since the hints are very very subtle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

Does Jeremy Wade's memoir on the making of River Monsters count?

It has fishing in it. :v:

I liked it.
That's probably right in the stream with what I'm looking for however, how can I see sweet shirtless pics of a 60 year-old man if it's all audio-based? :ohdear:

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

coyo7e posted:

So here's a request, anyone have recommends on fiction or non-fiction about nature, fishing, hunting, camping and the like?

There's always A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, I remember liking that audiobook.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit - nevermind sales over. Reading the wrong number.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

New Dresden Files book came out a few days ago.
Excellent work by James Marsters; as always.

Has a Beverly Hills Cop 3 ending; all major characters getting poo poo kicked.

Also, no werewolves or vampires.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
I like to make good use of my credits in terms of pure hours. I recently listened to the Bully Pulpit for example, but enjoy fantasy as well as nonfiction. Any suggestions for great audiobooks that'll make my subscription go far?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Time Trial posted:

I like to make good use of my credits in terms of pure hours. I recently listened to the Bully Pulpit for example, but enjoy fantasy as well as nonfiction. Any suggestions for great audiobooks that'll make my subscription go far?

The Chathrand Voyage audiobooks have Michael Page as a narrator and he's great. The books are pretty long too, so you'll get a lot of hours of listening out of them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For non-fiction you really can't go wrong with The Great Courses lecture series.

Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, and Jim Butcher are also writers of good length (12+ hours).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Time Trial posted:

11-22-63 is 31 hours long in addition to being one of my favorite listens ever.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Time Trial posted:

Mister Macys posted:

For non-fiction you really can't go wrong with The Great Courses lecture series.

Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, and Jim Butcher are also writers of good length (12+ hours).

12 hours?

Any of the Wheel of Time books will be long, 40ish hours. Just make sure to get the unabridged Kate Reading/Michael Kramer versions.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm going by the minimum amount.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

45 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Time Trial posted:

Mister Macys posted:

QFT. I really enjoyed The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World. It may not be as gargantuan as some of the other recommendations, but it was fascinating.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is a bit longer, and also awesome, and may fall into the fantasy genre (depending on how you define it).