Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Forgive me for sounding like an impatient modern gamer, but am I missing anything with Last Express or am I just not taking my time? I've made it past the first stop (Chanon) and the gameplay seems to be a lot of walking up and down the train and apologising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Forgive me for sounding like an impatient modern gamer, but am I missing anything with Last Express or am I just not taking my time? I've made it past the first stop (Chanon) and the gameplay seems to be a lot of walking up and down the train and apologising.

The Last Express is an eavesdropping simulator. You listen in on people's conversations until an event occurs, something suspicious happens and you investigate it, or someone forces an interaction with you. The beginning is very difficult because you don't really understand what's going on but after you survive the first night you become more proactive than reactionary. And while the game is very trial and error it's designed well enough to "kill" you at certain checkpoints and usually explain why the game is ending. You can rewind to any point and it's impossible to be locked out of the game permanently.

The best non-spoilery hint I can give to a new player is to follow the threads the game drops you. Carth begins with documents that explains who he is looking for. Very soon it's established what he is looking for. You want to go where all the people congregate so attend meals in the cars and hang out in the smoking car. Eventually you'll see all the major plot threads and how to follow them.

e: Don't be ashamed to look at a guide because you'll need it if you want the perfect ending. The game's appeal is the story so if you want the most out of it grab a guide.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Has anybody played Vertical Drop Heroes HD yet? I usually enjoyed Nerdook's flash games, but I'm not sure how successful his jump into a "full" game would work out. Especially since almost every larger flash game I played had horrible performance issues.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Paper Sorcerer just hit GOG. I have it on Steam and really like it. It's not mind-blowing or anything, there's a few issues with it (mostly bugs that I'm not sure have been fixed but nothing game breaking), but it's a fun little dungeon crawler RPG. Decent replay value too since you have big list of party members you can take, rather than building your own character. Graphical style might be grating for some though, but you can't go wrong with a $3.99 price tag.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Seconding picking up Paper Sorcerer. Beat it recently and really enjoyed it but man it has some kind of obnoxious bugs/UI problems.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does Simcity 2000 hold up today? It's a billion years old in video game time, but still, people love it. Could a person from 2014 fall in?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The music sounds horrid with the means DosBox has, but I can't see why not. Read the manual.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Does Simcity 2000 hold up today? It's a billion years old in video game time, but still, people love it. Could a person from 2014 fall in?

I have no idea why, but it drew me back in recently: http://superfakecity.wordpress.com

I haven't posted the massive fire that my underfunded fire department was completely unprepared for just yet.

One thing to note is that yes, the music sucks completely because DOSBox passes the MIDI off to Windows, which no longer has any interest in playing MIDI very well. Another is that the game only plays at 640x480 (you can mess with scaling and window size, but the viewport is the same), and it gets pretty crowded in there. The Windows '95 version had much better music, and a viewport that you could resize larger, break away the tool palette from, and a higher zoom level.

Still hecka fun. But to be completely honest, I give you 50/50 odds of loving it as much as someone loaded with nostalgia for it. It's the most charming of the SimCity series, but was bettered by SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 28, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yay it's been some time since the last one of these dumb things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCpuFCyQik

(Witcher 3 and GOG stuff)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yay it's been some time since the last one of these dumb things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCpuFCyQik

(Witcher 3 and GOG stuff)

It will be akward. Akward and awesome. :awesome:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
He hasn't worn the porkpie hat lately.

edit: https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/471944151836426240

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 29, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new DRM-free EA game is... Simcity 4 Deluxe! $5 for the next 72 hours.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I used to think people who bought games multiple times on different platforms were loving dumb but just now I've realised that I've purchased simcity 4 four or five times now over the years. also 20 usd regular price is pretty dumb. EA should be selling that poo poo cheaper.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

How long has it been on Steam? I don't know if there are any difficulties modding this game on Steam, I could see that being a pro for the Gog version. This is a great game either way, shame about the price tag.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Kins posted:

Hey now, I've been waiting for a DRM free no nonsense version of this game for some time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Megadyptes posted:

EA should be selling that poo poo cheaper.

Agreed, but it's EA, so they hate their customers and are utterly full of poo poo. At this point, they should be handing that game out for free to everyone in the world as an apology for the most recent SimCity, which was an insult to every organic life form in the universe and a few inorganic ones as well.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I see there's a sale going on, and in it are Deadlock and Deadlock II. First, I didn't even know those games were on GOG (or that there was a Deadlock II). Second, I still have my Deadlock disc on my shelf, and I actually installed it recently and it worked fine still; were there any patches that GOG did that should make me consider purchasing a digital copy? Third, is Deadlock II better than Deadlock I?

PureRok fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 30, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

How long has it been on Steam? I don't know if there are any difficulties modding this game on Steam, I could see that being a pro for the Gog version. This is a great game either way, shame about the price tag.

Since 2010 I believe. Oddly for Europeans the normal Steam price is just 10€ while American price is $20.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

PureRok posted:

I see there's a sale going on, and in it are Deadlock and Deadlock II. First, I didn't even know those games were on GOG (or that there was a Deadlock II). Second, I still have my Deadlock disc on my shelf, and I actually installed it recently and it worked fine still; were there any patches that GOG did that should make me consider purchasing a digital copy? Third, is Deadlock II better than Deadlock I?

Wow, Deadlock. Now there's a game I haven't played in decades. Would have bought it ages ago if I'd known GoG had it. Might as well buy both now that they're on sale.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm really enjoying Age of Wonders - Shadow Magic. It's like a slightly more detailed Might and Magic game. It takes me forever to beat levels though. I spent two days on the first real mission. I think I must be doing something wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LLSix posted:

I'm really enjoying Age of Wonders - Shadow Magic. It's like a slightly more detailed Might and Magic game. It takes me forever to beat levels though. I spent two days on the first real mission. I think I must be doing something wrong.

No, all the AoW games are like that. Each story map is basically "conquer the entire loving world one slow turn at a time." I play Shadow Magic because it's the closest thing to a modernized Masters of Magic.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

Well, all I know about Deadlock II is that it doesn't run on Windows 8... so keep that in mind.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bohemia's games (ARMA series and Original War) are leaving the GOG storefront on June 22. You can still download them from your Shelf if you buy them beforehand, of course.

To that end, the ARMA games are 60% off individually or 80% off for the whole lot for the next few days.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
That's kind of disappointing, but I suppose it was inevitable since both Arma 2 and 3 are moving to steam works. Between the death of Game Spy and GFWL, Valve is really cleaning up in multiplayer PC gaming arena.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Ever since GOG came around I've hoped for a Starsiege release. Just let me run around in a Minotaur shooting people's legs again like I was 10.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Or Missionforce Cyberstorm. It's weird that none of that Earthsiege stuff is on GoG.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Didn't Starsiege get made freeware like the first 2 Tribes games or is it still in a sort of gray abandonware area?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It looks like that's the case, but it's hard to tell since the only sites that are talking about it as freeware look like Geocite pages.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 5, 2014

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I would flip my poo poo if the whole Starsiege + Earthsiege series was released on GoG. Earthsiege 2 was the very first PC game I ever played.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Please please please let today's announcement be the remainder of the Sierra catalog. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peas and Rice posted:

Please please please let today's announcement be the remainder of the Sierra catalog. :ohdear:

"We sold Bobby the Intern's soul to the Devil via a satanic ritual conducted in the basement of our offices, and we're pleased to announce that in exchange we're able to release the entire LucasArt's catalogue"

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"We sold Bobby the Intern's soul to the Devil via a satanic ritual conducted in the basement of our offices, and we're pleased to announce that in exchange we're able to release the entire LucasArt's catalogue"

gently caress, if that were the case, I'd give them my entire team, junior staff, interns, the works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Now

http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sounds like they're doing a Steam-like client, which is awesome because it's something I've been wanting. All optional, of course, so the :spergin: should be fine with it (they won't be but still).

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Not a very exciting conference given how much they've been advertising it on the site for the past couple of weeks, but the client news and the Witcher board game announcement were pretty neat. I'm totally fine with a client and will probably use it so long as it'll let you run installed games independent of it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Humerus posted:

Sounds like they're doing a Steam-like client, which is awesome because it's something I've been wanting. All optional, of course, so the :spergin: should be fine with it (they won't be but still).

That'll be awesome. I'll be sure to try it when it comes out.

Just hope it has the functionality to save games outside of the primary drive.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Humerus posted:

I'm only half :spergin:, so I think this is cool because I can still be a weird video game prepper if I want to.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humerus posted:

Does it come pre-loaded with the missing Sierra titles?

No?

:smith:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Humerus posted:

The concept for this (optional) gog galaxy client, as they describe it, also includes something like an "overlay network" across other clients in order to "bridge" players playing eg on Steam, with players that own a game on gog.com or other digital distribution clients/ platforms (?). It's not very clear though, and as a single-play gamer -mostly- myself, I am not sure that this was an actual issue before.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Anyway, they will be giving keys for beta access to their "The Witcher Adventure game" (card game) that will test drive the galaxy client and cross-play feature in the next days/weeks/months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
As much as I love steam hearing that GOG is doing their own client without having to be online excits me greatly.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 5, 2014