Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Tsyni posted:

11) City Lights (1931) - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

I'm curious too! I wish I could see Chaplin for the first time again. Have fun.

Lone Star
A novelistic and methodical approach to this modern noir western in a border town of Texas. The film is rich with supporting players and becomes it's biggest benefit, which moves as slow and plodding as the main character Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper) who's constantly reminded of his father's greatness before him (in only a couple scenes from Matthew McConaughey). As the present day digs up the past of an unsolved murder of their former Sheriff Charlie Wade (Kris Kristofferson), we barely revisit the past and only hear musings from the present. I'd be completely content if we got a great big payoff but the whole thing fell flat and uninspired by the end. The cinematography and musical score were standouts, as was the acting from the entire cast - I just wish the story had more to tell, or perhaps at a quicker pace.

LIST

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Arsenic and Old Lace (2014.01.05) - *changed from It Happened One Night* to another Capra film that I already own. My own mistake.

Barry Lyndon (2014.03.11) - someone once told me it was boring and I should skip it. I've heard too much of the contrary ever since.

Dr. Strangelove (2014.04.20) - is this the most shameful of all? I had watched half of it a while back - time to fix that.

A Few Good Men (2014.03.13) - I haven't been able to handle the truth until now.. wow that was lame.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add around this time of year.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

The Player **oldest** (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

Playtime (2014.04.21) - really enjoyed the only other Tati film I've watched, M. Hulot's Holiday.

The Searchers **new** (2014.04.27) - somehow I've watched the opening shot of the film, but nothing more? A classic western long overdue.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), [Total:70]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Barry Lyndon (2014.03.11) - someone once told me it was boring and I should skip it. I've heard too much of the contrary ever since.

I remember liking it.

friendo55 posted:

Piling on the melodrama and unnecessary developments left a bad taste in my mouth.

What parts exactly?

The Last Picture Show - I really liked this one and it's full of semi-famous actors and actresses and they were all memorable. I suppose it's thematically similar to American Beauty but I really can't say I've seen one quite like it before.

The story meanders in a good way and shows that there's a last time for many things besides just a picture show.

Some films try to predict the future and others take a look back a generation or two at the underbelly of things that weren't covered for their time (early 70s film with the aesthetic of a 50s film shining a spotlight on early 1950s Texas in this instance).

There's a lot of unexpected humor too.

Also watched:

The Cranes are Flying - It's a familiar story. A young boy and girl fall in love and the boy naively volunteers for war leaving the girl in languishment.

One saving grace of most foreign war films is the characterization of those that are typically just "the enemy" in your run-of-the-mill US war film. We have real characters and not just "Communist/Japanese imperialist/Nazi soldier #345."

There's a few surprises (mainly the one guy being a draft dodger) in the second half but I felt like the story was mostly over halfway through.

Two parts of the film stuck out above the rest. First the air raid and then this segment: http://youtu.be/GQb0rTpi8a8?t=1m6s

Traffic - I believe it's a historical document that captures the time well but I wouldn't call it a very entertaining one as it's a little bloated.

There's three main stories showing different facets and faces of drugs (US drug czar and his troubled family, affluent wife who didn't know her husband was a dealer/supplier and then Mexican military and police issues). Each story seems to have its own color and lighting scheme. I think the film would've been fine with the US drug czar and his family scenes completely excised. I've seen enough of those "drug tragedy hits middle america" things and some of the other police subplots were clichéd too.

There's a huge cast but Catherine Zeta-Jones as the reluctant drug dealing wife and Miguel Ferrer as the drug dealer realist stuck out in their roles.

The amount of people killed in the last few decades in Mexico in drug-related things is pretty amazing and doesn't even get mentioned that often. From what I've read it's not irregular to find dozens of decapitated bodies lying around. Kidnappings for ransom are rampant as well.

I can't figure out certain aspects of the drug war. I recall seeing US police and military chopping up and trying to eradicate cannabis plants like they were accomplishing something good. The arrogance to try and remove a naturally growing plant from the ecosystem should be egregious but apparently isn't.

Procrastination (122 completed):

#118 Reds - Had this confused with "The Big Red One" for a while. 3/13/14

#124 The Wolf of Wall Street - Haven't had a strong desire to watch this. Is it mostly impotent lampooning of rich criminals doing zany things? 3/31/14

#125 Swades - Don't know what this is about but it's on the IMDb top 250 and on Netflix instant. 4/17/14

#126 Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - Something about the Korean War. 4/17/14

new #127 Breaker Morant - Heard this referenced before. 4/30/14

new #128 The Adventures of Robin Hood - On plenty of lists. 4/30/14

new #129 The Magnificent Ambersons - I've put this off a while. 4/30/14

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (41/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

1978 An Unmarried Woman - I don't think I've ever read one word about this one. I've seen Jill Clayburgh before though. 2/26/14

1973 Cries and Whispers - Heard of it but unfamiliar with it. 4/7/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 1, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

What parts exactly?

I had to go back and see which film you were referring to... Million Dollar Baby, right? The piling on when it came to her sudden career-ending injury, the narration from Morgan Freeman with every detail describing her suffering, having to end her life, etc. Then that scene involving her family at her bedside was so lame and horribly acted. The entire third act just ruined the whole film by hammering things home too hard with what would've been a good but safe sports movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

I had to go back and see which film you were referring to... Million Dollar Baby, right?

Yes, that's the one I meant.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
zogo- Tae Guk Gi.

Cotten and Bergman gave a terrific performance in Gaslight. Boyer is also great, and seeing a young Angela Lansbury was unexpected. The plot seemed very 'paint by number' and predictable, which seems to be common in these 1940's Gothics'. If I were to have attempted to summarize this movie before seeing it, I think I would have been close to accurate.

The Cotten/Bergman love interest seemed unnecessary and unsure of itself, I have the feeling this relationship didn't exist in the original play.

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. Moonrise Kingdom - Never seen any Anderson, so I think I'll start here
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
6. Eyes without a face - I needed some horror on this list
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
8. Red River - The return of the western slot to my list!
9. Baron Blood- I would like to check-off some more Bava movies
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..I don't do well with overly complicated movies.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Dr.Caligari posted:

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like

I've seen none of your listed movies! However, I'll pick this one based on your description and its the ease of picking the first movie listed.

I haven't been able to watch a lot of movies at my discretion since my last post in 2012, however, I offhand caught a movie on my list, and I also finally got around to the one listed for me.

Hello darkness my old friend. I really liked the Graduate. Almost the entire reason is due to the cast and Dustin Hoffman's performance. However, I will note that I had to make sure this movie was made in the 60s a couple of times because it was so well shot that it looked like a late 70s film. The story was gripping, I can see how this would be breaking new ground for the time period it came out in. The dynamic between Ben and Mrs. Robinson was definitely the highlight, which is why a lot of the Elaine scenes outside of the introduction seemed to drag. However, the finale was good, and now I know what Wayne's World is referring to.

The movie I caught offhand was V for Vendetta. I saw it about 7 months ago so the review isn't going to be fresh. While I don't consider it a masterpiece or a top tier work, it still was highly enjoyable and certainly well worth its watch and possibly future watches. Weaving is fantastic as expected. I felt like it was a good combination of engaging story, good acting, and fantastic art direction. Plus the 1812 Overture is always a positive.

New List:

1. E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial - Really nothing I can say to justify this.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. Three Colors: Blue - I remember seeing the trilogy brought up quite a bit from other lists. Might as well take a look myself.

4. The Artist - Most recent best picture I haven't seen at the time it was listed.

5. Oldboy - Everyone always says great things about Oldboy. I might as well actually watch it.

6. The Hustler - I haven't seen a Paul Newman movie in a while, and this has always been part of cinematic lore.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I guess I've never seen a Chaplin movie where he doesn't talk.

9. My Neighbor Totoro - Haven't thrown an animated movie up here in a while. Some people told me this was better than Spirited Away, while I know that it's only opinion, if someone thinks that highly of it, I might as well give it a look.

10. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

Watched Count 85: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10

SirFuzzington
May 3, 2014

quote:

9. My Neighbor Totoro - Haven't thrown an animated movie up here in a while. Some people told me this was better than Spirited Away, while I know that it's only opinion, if someone thinks that highly of it, I might as well give it a look.

I'm not sure to say if I'd say it's better than Spirited Away. Spirited Away is hit and miss for me and I don't even consider it the best of Ghibli's line up(that "honor" goes to Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns).

At any rate, I still think you should watch it.

My Shameful list
1. The Seventh Seal - I never even heard about this one before until quite recently.
2. Annie Hall - Ehh, been told it's like the greatest thing...not sure if true.
3. The Wolf of Wall Street - Another movie that just went over my head.
4. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - A stoner classic, haven't seen it since idk haven't been all that in the mood for such a flick.
5. Taxi Driver - a movie with heavy internal monologues is right up my alley. I have no justification, I'm just lazy.
6. Edward Scissorhand - again, always made to be a big deal. It looks good, haven't seen it because ehhh reasons.
7. 8 1/2 - only recently heard about it, supposed to be this cool look into some director's mind
8. Paprika - said to be the trippiest anime movie ever, I've always been put off for some reason.
9. David Lynch's Mulholland Drive - said to be one of his best, considering what I've seen with Twin Peaks I'm sure David Lynch is capable of good things.
10. The Secret Window - a metafictitious narrative with Johnny Depp. Again, no reasoning beyond me being an unmotivated fuckwad

So there we go

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Espequinn, see The Seventh Seal. I highly recommend it.

Horse Feathers was a very enjoyable Marx Brothers movie. Not as good overall as Animal Crackers, but still solid. Watched it with my daughter, who never saw a Marx Brothers movie, and she was giggling throughout. She said her favorite was Groucho.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Great Dictator - Time to get back to Chaplin.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Despicable Me

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

The King and I - 1956 version.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

The Man Who Knew Too Much - More Hitchcock here. This will be the remake with Jimmy Stewart.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Great Dictator - Time to get back to Chaplin.

Let me help you out with that! I'd say enjoy some Chaplin, but I think that goes without saying.

Barry Lyndon
Contrary to my pleasant experience of The Earrings of Madame De... yesterday, where the period setting was mainly a backdrop for it's focus on great dialogue and wondefully deceitful characters, Barry Lyndon was everything that disinterests me about the genre. Filled with wooden performances, poetically drab dialogue, and a dull narrator who constantly intervenes, the gorgeous visuals and pioneering camera techniques weren't enough to make this 3hr+ film ever worth watching again.

LIST

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Arsenic and Old Lace (2014.01.05) - *changed from It Happened One Night* to another Capra film that I already own. My own mistake.

Dr. Strangelove (2014.04.20) - is this the most shameful of all? I had watched half of it a while back - time to fix that.

A Few Good Men (2014.03.13) - I haven't been able to handle the truth until now.. wow that was lame.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add around this time of year.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

Leon: The Professional **new** (2014.05.04) - highest film on IMDb 250 list I haven't watched. Also seems like the kind of film I should've watched already.

The Player **oldest** (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

Playtime (2014.04.21) - really enjoyed the only other Tati film I've watched, M. Hulot's Holiday.

The Searchers (2014.04.27) - somehow I've watched the opening shot of the film, but nothing more? A classic western long overdue.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), Barry Lyndon (2.5/5), [Total:71]

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Hey there thread, it's been a while. Friendo, go watch Dr. Strangelove. It's a favorite of mine.

The Graduate: I was avoiding watching this while I was picking grad schools and working through some serious anxiety, and it's probably a very good thing I waited. :ohdear:

This was excellent, and I'm still mulling the whole thing over in my mind. I wasn't sure if this was a comedy or not going into it, and I'm still slightly confused there. Genres break down when a film can be this effective at both seriousness and humor. Watching Ben and Mrs. Robinson interact was always fascinating, regardless of the direction the scene went in. I was expecting the ending to be a lot more downbeat than the more uncertain-but-slightly-hopeful one it ended up having, given the direction the whole film felt like it was heading in.

My Shame List:

1) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color. (added 10/27/13)

2) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

3) The Fly: The Cronenberg one. (added 1/4/14)

4) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini? (added 1/4/14)

5) Galaxy Quest: Star Trek in all but name? (added 1/4/14)

6) Chinatown: Jack Nicholson deals with some pretty screwed up stuff. That's all I know. (added 1/11/14)

7) Children of Men: Don't know much about this one. (added 2/4/14)

8) Birth of a Nation: Continuing the "know thy enemy" series. (added 3/11/14)

9) Rocky: I have no idea how I missed this one for this long. (added 3/11/14)

10) Night of the Hunter: Don't know much about this beyond the knuckle tattoos. (added 5/5/14)

De-Shamed (45) [Top 5 6 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Drive, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon, Forbidden Planet, Solaris, Triumph of the Will, Total Recall, The Graduate

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Nolanar posted:

6) Chinatown: Jack Nicholson deals with some pretty screwed up stuff. That's all I know. (added 1/11/14)

It was between this and Rocky for me. If that's all you know and you don't know any details, you'll get a kick out of this one.

I'm uncertain what to say about My Neighbor Totoro. It's a children's movie through and through that doesn't resonate as well as say Pixar for instance or even Spirited Away. However, I think it's an outstanding movie for children to watch. I know Spirited Away was centered around the main character's innocence and I know it's a theme for Miyazaki, but this one didn't hit as hard. So really I'm not sure what to say about it other than nothing is wrong with it, I just wasn't impacted as much as other movies that work the same line.

New List:

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. Three Colors: Blue - I remember seeing the trilogy brought up quite a bit from other lists. Might as well take a look myself.

4. The Artist - Most recent best picture I haven't seen at the time it was listed.

5. Oldboy - Everyone always says great things about Oldboy. I might as well actually watch it.

6. The Hustler - I haven't seen a Paul Newman movie in a while, and this has always been part of cinematic lore.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen when I listed this. I guess I've never seen a Chaplin movie where he doesn't talk.

9. Howl's Moving Castle - I'll make this the Studio Ghibli block for now. This was recommended as the best of the bunch.

10. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

Watched Count 86: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

Might as well watch this one.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - It seems requisite for every country to have a feud between north/south/east/west territories at some point in their history. I suppose fighting is natural.

The easy comparison in style would be Saving Private Ryan which also had a lot of shaky cam focusing on infantry ground battles and it's practically the same warfare era so the weapons are similar. This one is more brutal and tragic however. There's more volatile violence and the lead characters are exceptionally dynamic. Just when you think you've figured Jin-tae and Jin-seok out they morph into something else and the story takes another dramatic twist.

The brothers are always at odds for a variety of reasons and I kind of got sick of their fighting as it seemed stupid to be so bitter and resentful to each other as they're near death countless times.

Side notes:

-Too operatic and too much shaky cam for my tastes.

-I liked the fatalistic humor that's interspersed at times. There's a fortuneteller character who's pretty funny.

Also watched:

The Wolf of Wall Street - It was kind of obnoxious but not as much as I'd feared it might be. I thought the characters may've been a little too maudlin and portrayed a little too stupid and crazy but it's a comedy so I guess they were going big. At three hours long the story kept my attention although it felt like it was really hollywoodized at times.

Also, I would've liked more details about the scams (particular the penny stocks) but they kept shirking the details. Back in the mid-90s I remember a teacher talking about how he'd invested a few thousand dollars into a tech penny stock so maybe he was one of the countless people who were swindled.

The tone and execution made it like a lighthearted Goodfellas with the same morality play. The fact that Jordan Belfort could've gotten away with all this by just resigning and paying some fines gives an absurd feel. It seems only the insanely flagrant violators of todays financial world are incarcerated. Maybe I'm just looking for ethics in an unethical world.

Leonardo DiCaprio has seemed miscast in a few recent films. It's not like he dropped the ball in this one or Django Unchained but something just seems off.

Procrastination (124 completed):

#125 Swades - Don't know what this is about but it's on the IMDb top 250 and on Netflix instant. 4/17/14

#127 Breaker Morant - Heard this referenced before. 4/30/14

#128 The Adventures of Robin Hood - On plenty of lists. 4/30/14

#129 The Magnificent Ambersons - I've put this off a while. 4/30/14

new #130 The Adventure AKA L'Avventura - Not sure what kind of adventure this will be. 5/6/14

new #131 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid - Heard this was another essential one to see. 5/6/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (41/46 completed):

1978 An Unmarried Woman - I don't think I've ever read one word about this one. I've seen Jill Clayburgh before though. 2/26/14

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Zogo posted:

I also know little about it, but I'd like to see your take.

I figured someone would de-shame me of E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial pretty quick. I already knew the plot going in and had at the very least seen some of the scenes. Thus, nothing really jumped out and surprised me other than I thought the government was supposed to be more antagonistic than they were put out to be. I actually thought they were handled well. Overall it's a great movie, I should've saw it as I child but alas. I'm grasping at straws since I know a lot of these reviews are so you guys can enjoy people's reactions to classic films. Spielberg is really good at what he does.

New List:

1. Good Will Hunting - I think I'm going to make the top spot the movie I think is my most shamefully missed. I don't know too much about this other than the key actors. Patch Adams turned me off pretty bad to Robin Williams although I will say I enjoyed the Dead Poets Society. I've only heard great things about this and I know not to let one dumb movie put me off an actor.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen when I listed this. I guess I've never seen a Chaplin movie where he doesn't talk.

9. Howl's Moving Castle - I'll make this the Studio Ghibli block for now. This was recommended as the best of the bunch.

Watched Count 87: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 8/10

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

marioinblack- City Lights. This seems to be recommended in this thread a lot.. And for a good reason!

It was kind of a different movie, but I was very pleased with Make Way for Tomorrow. The first part was told more from the grown children's side in dealing with what to do with there aging parents. During this time I found myself seeing things from their view, in that we want the best for our parents, but we are only willing to inconvenience ourselves so much for them. The last part is what I found hard-hitting and sent this movie into 'great' territory. The elderly couple spending a night on the town was genuine and touching, without becoming too sappy. The ending couldn't have been better and I'm not surprised to read that the studio didn't like it. I would be lying if I said things didn't get a little misty.

I heard that Tokyo Story is very similar to this movie, so I may add it to my shameful list sometime in the future.

1. M - I added this to my IMDB watchlist almost 3 years ago.
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage- Another long time IMDB watchlist resident.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 8, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dr.Caligari posted:

1. M - I added this to my IMDB watchlist almost 3 years ago.

Enjoy Peter Lorre at his best.

---

The Trial

The Trial opens with Orson Welles narrating a short story about a man who unsuccessfully tries to access the law. At the end of it Welles remarks: "It has been said that the logic of this story is the logic of a dream, of a nightmare." That quote sums up the film as a whole quite well. The Trial operates entirely in a dreamlike setting. Characters spontaneously appear whenever they are needed and vanish once that's no longer the case, the dialogue constantly moves in circles, night turns to day in an instant, even the world itself seems to form only around its main character Josef K., constantly adjusting to his mental state. Through clever use of lighting, editing and set design the film slowly transforms the orderly and cold world K. inhabits at the beginning into a place of frantic madness, until at the very end every semblance of reality is stripped away and K.'s struggles end in a featureless ditch.

The only novel by Kafka I've ever read was Metamorphosis. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I do remember it being a very bleak experience, with the main character facing a hateful world that would much rather be rid of him. The Trial goes in a similar direction, but what saves it from becoming too dreary is Welles' sense of humour. He realizes the comedic potential inherent in a rational man fighting against a completely irrational system and uses it for all it's worth. Especially the early parts are full of humour thanks to the sharp writing and Perkin's performance finding a good balance between outraged moralist and utterly confused, somwhat awkward young man. The Trial almost feels like a horror comedy; not necessarily in the sense that it mixes horror with humour (though there is quite a bit of that), but in the sense that its horror elements are so deeply grounded in the absurd that you can't help but laugh at them.

One flaw The Trial does have is that it runs a bit too long. The dreamlike atmosphere works well in short segments, but loses some of its mysticism during longer scenes. And the second half doesn't do much to move the film forward. In a way that's kind of the point, since the lack of actual progress highlights the futility of K.'s cause, but it still feels a bit overdone. The strong finale makes up for it though and even in its weaker moments The Trial is at least very pretty to look at. It takes a lot of its visual cues from film noir, with faces framed in shadows and trenchoat-wearing government agents. I realize that saying a Welles film has good cinematography is like mentioning the sky is blue, but this is a seriously stunning film and worth watching at least once for the visuals.

1. (new) Touch of Evil (1958) - Might as well make this the designated Welles slot.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. High Noon (1952) - Slowly making my way through the classic studio westerns.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. 1776 (1972) - I'm not American, but I do enjoy a good musical.

7. Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

8. Broken Blossoms (1919) - More good stuff from the Silent Film thread.

9. Wizards (1977) - Any Bakshi film really, but this one has the most interesting premise.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Tangled (2010), Stagecoach (1939), City Lights (1931), The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), Shane (1953), The Trial (1962)

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Samuel Clemens posted:

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

Of the two I've seen on your list, this is the one I enjoyed more.

I quite enjoyed City Lights. There's something to be said about a nice charming, good-hearted movie. This is also the first purely silent film I've ever seen. The Chaplin style slapstick may have aged a bit, but from the man himself, it's still pretty hilarious. The boxing scene alone was worth the watch and is now one of my favorite slapstick gags ever. Honestly this movie was just fun.

New List:

1. Good Will Hunting - I think I'm going to make the top spot the movie I think is my most shamefully missed. I don't know too much about this other than the key actors. Patch Adams turned me off pretty bad to Robin Williams although I will say I enjoyed the Dead Poets Society. I've only heard great things about this and I know not to let one dumb movie put me off an actor.

8. Life is Beautiful - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I really don't know much other than the Benigni's eccentric victory celebration at the Academy Awards.

Watched Count 87: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 8/10, City Lights 8/10

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch Life is Beautiful.

Zulu was really well made, and exciting, and I guess not much else. There's not a ton to say about two hours of English people shooting Zulu people. I could've done with knowing more about the various characters rather than just "this guy is a jerk" and "this guy takes charge of stuff," or having some context for the conflict, or... maybe something else? but that the movie's compelling without any of that is actually sort of interesting.

1) Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - This replaces Battleship Potemkin - I must see all the old classic Russian silent famous films.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Another Wilder film.

4) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

5) Scenes from a Marriage (1973) - Marriage! Who doesn't love it, am I right?

6) Raging Bull (1980) - I haven't seen a ton of Scorcese films. I guess this is his Rocky, right?

7) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

8) Trust (1990) - I know nothing of this movie but I trust it will be good.

9) Amélie (2001) - I think I recall that this movie was all over the zeitgeist at some point but I managed to entirely miss it. The poster art and so on looks like it's a depressingly easy movie to imagine but I guess maybe it's better than it looks.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), 2001: A Space Odyssey (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), In the Mood for Love (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Magnolia (88), The Royal Tenenbaums (88), Dead Man (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Battleship Potemkin (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), The Big Sleep (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Female Trouble (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), Zulu (80), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), Gone With the Wind (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

3) Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Another Wilder film.

Try this next.

Mississippi Burning - The film opens with an image of colored and white drinking fountains. It wasn't long ago that segregation was prevalent in many parts of the country. I remember my grandfather was in the Air Force and went through Texas in the early 1950s. He unknowingly sat in the colored section on a train and it started some kind of panic (there's also a restaurant scene like this in the film).

Anyway three civil rights workers are murdered by local police and an investigation is started. The conflict between Hackman and Dafoe (two FBI agents) is prominent. Their relationship is very similar to that of Exley and Bud in L.A. Confidential. One guy going by the books and one guy breaking all the rules.

The recurring thing in the film is black churches exploding in balls of fire, cross burnings and any witnesses being intimidated by elements of the KKK. The perpetrators of all these attacks got light sentences IMO.

I thought it was disturbingly powerful at times although the editing was a little rough. The score was also good.

I was reminded of "Us and Them" at many times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDbeqj-1XOo

#130 The Adventure AKA L'Avventura - Not sure what kind of adventure this will be. 5/6/14

#131 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid - Heard this was another essential one to see. 5/6/14

new #132 Contempt - I recently watched The Story of Film: An Odyssey and in it Mark Cousins described Jean-Luc Godard as a terrorist. And that kind of made sense. 5/10/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (42/46 completed):

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Zogo, purely at random I pick Cries and Whispers.

Honky Dong posted:

Watch Blue, White and Red.

How about I just watch Blue for now?

Trois Couleurs: Bleu was an unusual movie. It's much more about mood than plot, which probably says something about the difference between American and French cinema (I haven't seen many French films). The theme of this one is supposed to be "liberty," and I can see it. Rather, this is about how an idea like liberty can go too far. Julie cuts herself off from everyone after her family's death and tries to be totally independent, but finds she can't live without some sort of human connections. I particularly liked the stripper/prostitute neighbor. The other neighbors are quick to condemn her, and try to get her thrown out just for using her liberty in a way they disagree with. There's not really much else to say- it's a tightly focused movie and works pretty well. I also like the motif of "blue" throughout the film- there's the glowing blue pool, the blue windows, the blue chandelier, Julie's blue clothes, etc. This was a good movie, but I'll wait until I finish the trilogy before deciding if it's "great." Not sure I want to watch the rest just yet, though.

Rating: 3.5/4

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

102. Enchanted- I love Disney movies, but I also know their problems. I think this must have come out during the period when I was too old to be in Disney's target audience and too young to admit I still liked these sorts of movies without being embarrassed.

103. Judgment at Nuremberg- I had never heard about this until Slacktivist mentioned it. Sounds interesting.

105. First Blood- Rambo, but not so "Ramboey."

106. Hidden Fortress- I need another Kurosawa fix. I gather this wasn't his best, but I'm a big Star Wars fan.

107. Trois Couleurs: Blanc- I liked the first one, and I want to see where it goes next.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Jurgan, for you I choose Hidden Fortress. It's actually quite good. It's one of Kurosawa's most entertaining films. The only reason the critics don't get a hard on for it is because it isn't as serious as his other stuff, and doesn't offer as much to someone who wants to write an essay on it.

My list of films:

Taxi Driver
-Just not my sort of film, I guess. Not interested in the story that much.

The Rules of the Game
This always seemed a bit melodramatic, maybe? I enjoyed Grand Illusion quite a bit, which makes me want to see this.

La Strada
Fellini seems cool. Only seen 81/2 and La Dolce Vita. Loved one, meh on another.

Pather Panchali
I really enjoyed a couple of Ray's other films.

Ugetsu Monogatari
This one seems to get universal acclaim. The dvd cover/poster is unappealing is the only reason I've shied away.

The Magnificent Ambersons
I love Orson Welles. This is one of the few of his I haven't seen. Kind of sad to watch it because I have a hunch studio meddling made it less than what he could have done.

Persona
I like Bergman, I don't know why I haven't gotten around to seeing this one.

Come and See
I've been dreading seeing this because I hear it's harrowing. Still, I OUGHT to see it.

Stalker
I'm a big Tarkovsky fan, and I guess I should see some of his other stuff, huh?

Chimes at Midnight
Again with the Welles. The man is awesome. The only problem is I need to see more of him.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 12, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

CountFosco posted:

Persona
Yeah, not a huge Godard fan.

Do you mean Bergman?

I have been meaning to put Persona on my list for a while now

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Derp

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Come and See
I've been dreading seeing this because I hear it's harrowing. Still, I OUGHT to see it.

This one has impressed me like very few others. When I think of war on film this is the preeminent one that comes to mind.

Cries and Whispers - This one seems to bridge the gap between Persona and Fanny and Alexander.

Three sisters live together and one of them is chronically ill. Karin, Maria and Anna (the maid) care for Agnes as she goes through a tortuously slow death. The main issue is sickness but there's also some infidelity and the sisters are also having trouble emotionally connecting with one another. I think I understood the plight of these characters but I really didn't identify with their actions.

Many films will employ a fade to black but this one frequently does a fade to complete red. There's also a starkly red room and a few prominent moments where characters stab themselves and start gushing blood.

Bergman films used to hit me like a ton of bricks but the last three or four I've seen haven't done so although I really can't find faults with them and even some scenes are special and even haunting (the ending walk outside and the revelation that Agnes was initially not dead to name a couple). Maybe I haven't been in the mood for sentimentality recently.

#130 The Adventure AKA L'Avventura - Not sure what kind of adventure this will be. 5/6/14

#131 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid - Heard this was another essential one to see. 5/6/14

#132 Contempt - I recently watched The Story of Film: An Odyssey and in it Mark Cousins described Jean-Luc Godard as a terrorist. And that kind of made sense. 5/10/14

new #133 Viridiana - I'm assuming Buñuel is going to take another dump on religion here. 5/14/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (43/46 completed):

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Zogo I haven't seen any of your movies so I'll side with Ebert and choose An Unmarried Woman.

Let the shaming begin...

Radio Days (1987) - I've never seen a Woody Allen movie, this one has been recommended to me the most.

Kiss of Death (1947) - Don't know anything about this other than it being noir which is right up my alley.

Lone Wolf and Cub 1: Sword of Vengeance (1972) - I saw the first 5 minutes, then the electricity went out. Coincidence????

The King of Comedy (1982) - No excuse for not seeing this other than laziness.

Videodrome (1983) - Bought it because of the name and James Woods being in the cast. No idea what it's about.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Oh the shame! What's worse is... the only Indiana Jones I've seen is the crappy fourth one with aliens. May god have mercy on my soul.

First Blood (1982) - May god have a similar level of mercy on my soul for also not seeing this. Again, I've seen the fourth one and none of the others (though at least Rambo (2008) isn't a pile of crap).

Last Tango In Paris (1972) - I know literally nothing about this but hear it recommended all the time.

Misery (1990) - Constant references to Kathy Bates' character by Anthony Cumia and the almighty Patrice O'Neal piqued my interest.

Catch-22 (1970) - I feel semi-shamed by not seeing this. Reactions by my friends are 50/50 best movie/worst movie.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

Misery (1990) - Constant references to Kathy Bates' character by Anthony Cumia and the almighty Patrice O'Neal piqued my interest.

Raiders might be the most shameful of the movies, but drat do I love Kathy Bates in this film. Go watch this and live in fear whenever you see Kathy Bates again.

Life is Beautiful is a really interesting film. I went into it blind so I was unaware that it was set during WW2. I still don't know what to think about a film rich with comedy elements set around the Holocaust. I know the Great Dictator was a more heavy handed comedy, but Chaplin stated he wouldn't have done it if he knew about the Holocaust itself. Being a non Jew that has no connection to any of the atrocities of that war, I cannot speak with the proper standing in this perspective. I do think what Benigni did worked. His performance is outstanding, and he especially shined during moments of unease. I enjoyed the film overall, but it just didn't strike me as hard as other films set in the same period.

New List:

8. The Intouchables - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I know nothing about this.

Watched Count 88: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 8/10, City Lights 8/10, Life is Beautiful 8/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

This has been on your list nearly three years.

An Unmarried Woman - It's another story of a family that seems fine until the husband gets a new girlfriend and everything goes off the rails. The husband played by Michael Murphy is straight out of Scenes from a Marriage. What's with all these dopey guys abandoning their families and then crawling back whimpering weeks or months later?

Immediate comparisons can be drawn with contemporaries like Ordinary People, Kramer vs. Kramer and this one also had a tinge of that Sex and the City show.

The first segment was compelling but I found the second half more tedious as Erica (Jill Clayburgh) searches for love with an array of annoying artists and womanizers. I didn't like any of the guys she came across and when it became increasingly obvious that she didn't either it was another one that felt mostly over before its ending. However, it did end memorably with Erica asserting her independence as she's left to precariously carry a huge painting across town with no help.

I would've liked to see more scenes involving the daughter of the family. I'm surprised I don't hear of Jill Clayburgh more often. She also had a memorable performance in I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can but it seems like that one isn't known at all (currently 340 votes on IMDb).

#132 Contempt - I recently watched The Story of Film: An Odyssey and in it Mark Cousins described Jean-Luc Godard as a terrorist. And that kind of made sense. 5/10/14

#133 Viridiana - I'm assuming Buñuel is going to take another dump on religion here. 5/14/14

new #134 Underground - Never seen a Emir Kusturica film but I've heard good things. 5/17/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (44/46 completed):

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zogo, random number generator says The Adventures of Robin Hood.

So, The Hidden Fortress. This is kind of an odd movie (not Rashomon level odd, but bear with me). The basic story is pretty simple: Princess caught behind enemy lines, and she and a general have to make it to safety. General Makabe is, of course, Toshiro Mifune, and he's charming as ever (and wearing hot pants- he had some great legs). The princess is a fairly simple character, and the actress tended to screech whenever she was trying to sound dramatic, but she filled her role. There's a great duel between Makabe and an old rival, who ends up defecting just in time to save the heroes from execution. And, of course, every scene is gorgeous- that goes without saying with Kurosawa.

Kurosawa made the odd choice to tell this story from the point of view of two lowly peasants. This is a valid and interesting decision, but he doesn't really commit to it, and so it's hard to say whether they work for me. They are fun characters all around, constantly bickering with one another. Famously, they were the inspiration for C-3PO and R2-D2 (although aside from height the two peasants are very similar, while the droids have distinct personalities- this may be because of the way C-3PO was rewritten after his dialogue was recorded). Throughout the movie they were greedy and selfish, although given their poverty I can't really blame them. But I kept expecting them to do something heroic and help save the day at the end, and it never happened. Did they learn anything from the experience? I guess they kind of learned not to let greed interfere with their friendship. Okay, so they're not the center of the story, maybe they're just there to give an unusual point of view. Most feudal stories focus on the nobles, so telling one as seen by peasants is interesting. If that's the case, though, why are they absent for several major events? Not only do they not play a role in the conclusion, they aren't even present. The result is we get kind of a jarring contrast between the drama of the war and the sitcom antics of our everymen. I would have preferred that they be present in every scene and we only find out what's going on as they do. Alternatively, they could run away and then come back because they decide to do the right thing. As is, they don't really have any clear purpose to the main story and they aren't really the point of view since we see things they don't. What I see is two halves of this movie that don't quite fit together. That doesn't make it bad, just a bit confused.

Rating: 3/4

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

102. Enchanted- I love Disney movies, but I also know their problems. I think this must have come out during the period when I was too old to be in Disney's target audience and too young to admit I still liked these sorts of movies without being embarrassed.

103. Judgment at Nuremberg- I had never heard about this until Slacktivist mentioned it. Sounds interesting.

105. First Blood- Rambo, but not so "Ramboey."

107. Trois Couleurs: Blanc- I liked the first one, and I want to see where it goes next.

108. Ran- This is Kurosawa's version of King Lear, I think. I've never read King Lear. Also, Kurosawa's black-and-white filming is so good that I'm scared to see him in color.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4, The Hidden Fortess: 3/4

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Wow, I did a number on this thread. Nobody's watching movies?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's only been a few days buddy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I know how it is though, I get antsy when I have to wait.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It sucks when you're waiting. I keep meaning to watch Grey Gardens. I have it and everything, I'm just never in the mood.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Jurgan- First Blood.

It's getting nice out, which means less movie watching time. Which was one of my problems getting threw M. The other problem seemed to be that this movie really drags in some places. There were several times I had to stop watching for whatever reason, and getting back into it was a chore.

The end was entertaining, but getting there seemed like it took way longer than it needed to. It's a novel historical piece, but it just didn't do much for me.

1. Sunrise (1927) - F.W. Murnau? Okay
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage- Another long time IMDB watchlist resident.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2014

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Dr.Caligari posted:

Watchlist resident no more!

I double dipped this time due to convenience. First up is Stand by Me. I'll probably look back on this as one of my favorite coming of age movies ever. I found the most fascinating thing to be the dialog between the four young actors because it gave me some flashbacks of my younger life. Going into this I had the preconception that this would be similar to the Sandlot, however, I was surprised at how deep the movie went into that point in life where one starts to lose their innocence.

Since I had it on hand, I elected to also watch the Artist. This is a solid overall film with a fantastic performance by Jean Dujardin. The thing I give it marks against is for a silent film made in modern times, it really felt predictable and by the books as far as plot. This kind of took me out of the film a bit, but Dujardin made sure I was never fully taken out.

New List (Beginning to shift things around so I can run a common theme with a few spots):

4. Oldboy - Everyone always says great things about Oldboy. I might as well actually watch it.

5. The Hustler - I haven't seen a Paul Newman movie in a while, and this has always been part of cinematic lore.

6. The Intouchables - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I know nothing about this.

7. Howl's Moving Castle - I'll make this the Studio Ghibli block for now. This was recommended as the best of the bunch.

8. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

9. Wings - I've set a goal to watch every movie that won best picture which I'm a bit of a third of the way through. So the nine and eventually eight slot will be random best pictures I haven't seen. Might as well see the first!

10. 12 Years a Slave - This slot will go to the last best picture I haven't seen which just so happens to be the most recent.

Watched Count 90: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 8/10, City Lights 8/10, Life is Beautiful 8/10, Stand by Me 8/10, The Artist 7/10

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
You have a couple of films that I would be happy to recommend, but I'm gonna choose Howl's Moving Castle. It's a very beautiful film.

Just finished God These People Suck At Pinball Before Sunrise.

It was lodged incredibly far up its own rear end, but I guess that’s pretty much what first dates are. I did believe that these characters had feelings for each other, but ultimately, this move was just too easy. Set two attractive people on an European backdrop and keep that lingering thought of “oh poo poo what happens after this” in the back of the audience’s mind and you’re pretty much guaranteeing an invested audience. Hey, it worked for Roman Holiday. To be honest, I actually think that knowing that more of these movies are to follow almost ruins this one for me. Not that I know where these characters will be in “7 years” or however long time actually is accounted for in the gaps between these films, but that sense of wonder is pretty much shot now, I’ll just go watch the movies, and find out for myself. I don’t know, I tend to become really disinterested in characters who's sole purpose seems to be to wax philosophy. Dazed and Confused was awesome because while you had characters who did just that, they ultimately are called to act, and are even punished for it in some occasions. This film didn’t have nearly as much meat on its bones, and though I’m pretty sure that was the intention, I wanted some more substance.

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. The Purple Rose of Cairo - More Woodie!

3. The Rules of the Game - I don't know what's wrong with me.

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. Sherlock Jr. *NEW* - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. *NEW *Gojira *NEW* - I just saw the new one, and I loved the hell out of it. I'm really really interested in going back to the origin of this franchise.

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

88 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5

Chili fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 26, 2014

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chili posted:

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

I've only seen Pleasentville on your list, but I can't help but take advantage of the one time in my life I can force someone to watch Gary Busey.

Howl's Moving Castle is a very strong movie. Miyazaki sure knows how to create interesting characters and wonderful settings. One thing I love about Miyazaki's work is his ability to be optimistic about everything and show that it's not about good defeating evil but more about doing the right things in general, even good intentions may be harmful overall. For this specific movie I enjoyed that everything had so much passion behind it, whether it be love or pacifism. While I'm departing from him now, Miyazaki will definitely be reappearing on my list soon.

New List:

4. Oldboy - Everyone always says great things about Oldboy. I might as well actually watch it.

5. The Hustler - I haven't seen a Paul Newman movie in a while, and this has always been part of cinematic lore.

6. The Intouchables - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen. I know nothing about this.

7. Grave of the Fireflies - I'll try a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film. I know this gets a lot more dark.

8. Rain Man - I guess I know the premise, but I've never really thought of seeing it.

9. Wings - I've set a goal to watch every movie that won best picture which I'm a bit of a third of the way through. So the nine and eventually eight slot will be random best pictures I haven't seen. Might as well see the first!

10. 12 Years a Slave - This slot will go to the last best picture I haven't seen which just so happens to be the most recent.

Watched Count 93 (Now I know how to count!): Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7.5/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 7/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8.5/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10, Wild Strawberries 7/10, Rebecca 7.5/10, Dog Day Afternoon 8.5/10, The Departed 9.5/10, The Graduate 7.5/10, V for Vendetta 7.5/10, My Neighbor Totoro 6/10, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 8/10, City Lights 8/10, Life is Beautiful 8/10, Stand by Me 8/10, The Artist 7/10, Howl's Moving Castle 8/10

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Since you think it's your most shameful, I suppose I'll pick Good Will Hunting

The Bird With the Crystal Plummage will probably become the giallo that I recommend to people wanting to get into the (sub?)genre. It has everything you expect in a giallo; a murder mystery, shadowy characters, a 'gritty' atmosphere and dreamy colors. The story blended thriller and murder mystery together expertly, while staying away from the feeling exploitative and as sleazy as is common with many other giallos. The story was paced about as tight as these films get and the plot was even relatively coherent! The last 10 minutes were excellent and the 'reveal' shot was fantastic.

This genre remains one that I find difficult to love, but frequently rewarding to watch. I think I will dedicate a giallo spot on my list for a while.

1. Cinemania - A documentary about obsessive movie watching. Hmm.
9. Cat O' Nine Tails- Next up in the Argento 'Animal' trilogy

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Give Nashville a whirl.

On November 13, I was assigned La Règle du Jeu - I kept putting it off and putting it off. I even saw two other Renoir films since then. Finally, I checked it out from the library last week. As soon as it started I realized I had already seen it and did not care for it that much. It was a good film, just thematically not my style. So, after that tremendous waste of time, I am back.

From the IMDB Top 250: Gravity Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
From the Netflix Top 100: Mud Captain Phillips (2013)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: La Règle du Jeu Cross of Iron (1977)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)
The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Andrei Rublev (1969)

Edit: Didn't realize. I have seen Mud and Gravity since my last post. Gravity was neat to watch but not much else. Mud was fine, I guess, but seemed like a rip off of The Spirit of the Beehive

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Spartacus, La Règle du Jeu, Gravity, Mud

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 27, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

York_M_Chan posted:

In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)

Try this next.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - I think I saw a Robin Hood cartoon or read a book at a very young age because I knew the general story. He's an archer and a swordsman and gathers together a group of disaffected citizens who have been overtaxed and overly punished. Guerrilla warfare commences between them and the knights/royalty of the land.

With a few subtle changes all the merry men could've been the villains of the story but they're the "good guys" because they're fighting on behalf of the temporarily deposed true king.

For 1938 it had a fast pace and I can't recall watching anything released prior to this in color (live action at least). It treads a fine line between lightheartedness and violence.

Also watched:

The Magnificent Ambersons - It reminded me of a nascent Wes Anderson film at times as it was overly focused on fashion and relishing in straining quirkiness.

I had some trouble latching onto anything in the story as it felt like it was told by someone with amnesia so I got stuck on the odd characters. They're silly, cartoonish, histrionic and don't seem to act their age. Obsessed with silly rivalries and gossiping endlessly (like a soap opera).

The point of contention/feud between George and Eugene seemed really superficial. George (the rich kid nobody likes) has to be one of the most petulantly odd characters I've seen in a while. In nearly every scene he's whining about some new grudge or shrieking about cars. Also, he seems to have a brain malfunction (Oedipus complex?) as he chooses his mother rather than the girl he supposedly loves.

In the end he's run over by a car.

Procrastination (126 completed):

#133 Viridiana - I'm assuming Buñuel is going to take another dump on religion here. 5/14/14

#134 Underground - Never seen a Emir Kusturica film but I've heard good things. 5/17/14

new Star Trek (2009) - I saw this in the theaters and don't remember enjoying it too much. It's been five years and I should see if having seen all the previous films has any effect. 5/27/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (44/46 completed):

new 1970 Five Easy Pieces - Jack Nicholson orders a meal? There must be more than just that. 5/27/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 27, 2014

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, as much as I want to give you Five Easy Pieces, it's your newest. So let's go Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid instead

Guncrazy was just great B-movie noir. At first I was a little turned off by the over the top gun obsession in the beginning, but it works for the story. Once Peggy and John hit the road though, I was fully engrossed. Maybe it was the kid's that just bugged me. Anyway, I had a lot of fun with it and found it thoroughly enjoyable.

) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) It's A Mad Mad Mad World- that's a lot of mads and I hear this has been referenced a lot
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg- love those musicals
6) Rebel Without A Cause- I've never seen a James Dean movie
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) A League of Their Own- I know the famous line, but that's about it. Is this any good?

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days, Our Hospitality, Rain Man, Thief, Gun Crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Mistletoe Donkey you have hereby been granted the joy of watching It's A Mad Mad Mad World. It's really, really, really... good.

Misery
Pretty drat great. It must be a faithful adaptation because the story progresses very much like a novel.
Kathy Bates... goddamn. Sometimes she manages to look benign and homicidal at the same time. I was really impressed with how James Caan telegraphs nothing to the audience and just lets the story unfold.
I've been thinking of something negative to say about the movie to seem balanced but nothing comes to mind, it's a well-crafted story with great acting.
(I could almost swear I saw a TV-movie version of Misery with James Spader instead of James Caan when I was a kid but Google swears this is the only version. I must be going insane.)

Radio Days (1987) - I've never seen a Woody Allen movie, this one has been recommended to me the most.

Kiss of Death (1947) - Don't know anything about this other than it being noir which is right up my alley.

Lone Wolf and Cub 1: Sword of Vengeance (1972) - I saw the first 5 minutes, then the electricity went out. Coincidence????

The King of Comedy (1982) - No excuse for not seeing this other than laziness.

Videodrome (1983) - Bought it because of the name and James Woods being in the cast. No idea what it's about.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Oh the shame! What's worse is... the only Indiana Jones I've seen is the crappy fourth one with aliens. May god have mercy on my soul.

First Blood (1982) - May god have a similar level of mercy on my soul for also not seeing this. Again, I've seen the fourth one and none of the others (though at least Rambo (2008) isn't a pile of crap).

Last Tango In Paris (1972) - I know literally nothing about this but hear it recommended all the time.

Catch-22 (1970) - I feel semi-shamed by not seeing this. Reactions by my friends are 50/50 best movie/worst movie.

NEW: History of the World Part 1 (1981) - I've never seen anything by Mel Brooks! I don't know how this happened!

Shameless: Misery (1990).

Super Nintendo 64 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 28, 2014