Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll go into the store and look some more but y'all dispelled a lot of the stuff I was worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xabi posted:

Has anybody here had problems with their rMBP freezing to a complete halt, so that it needs a reboot? It's happened to me about ten times, but I'm not sure if there's a pattern for when it happens. I think it usually happens after I wake it up by opening the lid. I sometimes even get a grey screen, with text telling me that something went wrong and the computer had to reboot.

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution for it? It hasn't happened often enough for me to freak out but something's deffo not right either.

It's a late 2013 8gb rMBP btw.

That could be software, ssd, ram, logic board, or other stuff really. Are you on the latest os? Does it happen every time you wake from sleep? And do you ever properly shut down?

You could check for I/O errors in console. My suggestion is to back it up, take it to the Genius Bar and let them run tests on the hardware. If your in warranty they'll probably send it out to the repair facility where they'll just replace everything that could possibly be causing it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
No, not nearly every time I wake it up. It doesn't happen often really, but often enough that I've noticed it and have become irritated by it. I turn it completely off once in a while. Is that something one should do frequently? Also, how do I check for I/O errors in the console? I'm by no means a mac expert.

e: I'm on the latest os, yes.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 20, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xabi posted:

No, not nearly every time I wake it up. It doesn't happen often really, but often enough that I've noticed it and have become irritated by it. I turn it completely off once in a while. Is that something one should do frequently? Also, how do I check for I/O errors in the console? I'm by no means a mac expert.

e: I'm on the latest os, yes.

You can select all messages in console and type i/o in the search box and see if anything pops up. This by no means guarantees anything if you don't find anything, but if your getting i/o errors it's disk issues. If so you can try to verify the disk/volume from disk utility in recovery, but just back up your poo poo first. You can also try repairing system permissions and ACLs (user permissions). I doubt that's it but it wouldn't hurt.

You should shut your system
down once in a while. Id say once a week or so at least. I still think you should go to the store for diags, but if you want to avoid that and you don't have a ton of data you can erase and do a clean install and see if the issue continues.

If you do go, try to learn the conditions regarding when it happens so it's easier to replicate. Things like exactly how often, when was the last time it happened, what was running when you put it to sleep when the issue happened, how long since the last shutdown, when exactly did it start, how long is it usually in sleep when this happens and does it make a difference.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 20, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks a lot! I'm at work now but will try the console trick when I get back home. Luckily I don't have too much stuff on it, so doing a clean install might be worth a try.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Alright, so I'm looking at getting a laptop. I'm in school so I'll be on this retard all day. I'm gonna get a 13-inch something but am really looking at the pro and the air. I know the difference between them specs-wise, but I'm looking at what y'all think about little quality-of-life things. I really don't need the power performance, but if they're pretty comparable heat/sound wise then I'm totally into having better performance.

A pro is gonna be louder, the difference in weight is negligible, and gets a bit hotter but it's got a major upgrade in performance. What do you guys think about macbook airs? Are they actually as quiet/cool/lightweight as folks say, compared to a MacBook Pro?

I don't give a poo poo about the weight, I can hardly tell the half-pound difference between the two.

You could wait and see what arrives at WWDC. This is less than 2 weeks now.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dumb question: I have had my rMBP for about a month and every so often I hear one soft metallic click that sounds like it is coming from the right side kind of the base near the HDMI port. Is this normal? I was under the impression that this thing has no moving parts due to the SSD so I'm wondering what this could be and really just want to know if it's normal... fan clicking on/off?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ironlung posted:

Dumb question: I have had my rMBP for about a month and every so often I hear one soft metallic click that sounds like it is coming from the right side kind of the base near the HDMI port. Is this normal? I was under the impression that this thing has no moving parts due to the SSD so I'm wondering what this could be and really just want to know if it's normal... fan clicking on/off?

If you search 'rmbp clicking' it sounds like a lot of people hear similar things. Just the case flexing and things not being so tight, I suppose... unless it does it entirely by itself.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
So I purchased my 13" rMBP a few days ago and I'm loving every minute of it. From the amazing trackpad and its gestures to the little things of OSX that make the big things come together so nicely (Spaces and Mission Control are a godsend). The hardware itself is amazing. I feel like I bought a BMW of the computing world. Just the thought of going back to Windows and the hardware built for it makes me frown. But there's one problem: I need a good sleeve/case for it. I could have sworn I saved previously recommended cases and sleeves to Evernote, but it looks like I didn't. I've been eyeballing Booq Viper Hardcases, and if anyone can attest to their construction and fit, I'd really appreciate it. I welcome any recommendations, they don't have to be hardcases in particular, sleeves are fine. And I promise to save them to Evernote this time. :)

Budget is about $45, maybe stretch to $50.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

just get the Amazon Basics case and quit spergin

or go to the Apple Store and buy one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ironlung posted:

Reseating the bottom case screws should resolve that, although it requires an apple pentalobe driver.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

It definitely sounds like the noise is coming from inside the computer and happens when it is not being moved or anything. It is very infrequent and faint, once every 30 minutes maybe.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kingnothing posted:

Reseating the bottom case screws should resolve that, although it requires an apple pentalobe driver.

I've actually tried this on a 13" Air and it did nothing. I was really taking it apart to clean out dust, but while it was open I found what I think was the culprit for those little flex noises (which I had noticed from day 1 of owning the computer), and there's no obvious fix for it (and it's not a real problem so who cares).

The bottom aluminum panel held in by those screws turns out to be supported by more than just its edge. There's also a little plastic dingus glued to the inside at roughly the center. It protrudes out and mates with a matching plastic receptacle mounted to the main unibody frame. They're designed to kinda pop into place. Seems intended to resist the panel either bulging out or being caved in.

The friction fit between these 2 plastic pieces isn't tight (can't be or you'd have to bend the hell out of the panel to remove it, the Air's panel is super thin and cannot take much force without support). I think the flexy noises are caused by the two halves of this support structure grinding or hitting each other when the chassis bends a bit.

It's plastic on plastic so whatever.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I've found a couple forum posts with people having the same "issue" as me which isn't really an issue. I'm just being neurotic because it's a new expensive toy and I want to make sure nothing is wrong. Sounds like it's nothing to worry about.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Sometimes, if the room is quiet and your fans are running slow enough that they don't drown it out, you can hear little bitty noises from the switch-mode DC-to-DC converter circuits inside any modern laptop computer. These have no parts which are intended to move, but they use inductors (electromagnetic coils) as energy storage elements. This generates fluctuating magnetic fields in the coils, which can cause the coil to vibrate at audible frequencies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

theadder posted:

You could wait and see what arrives at WWDC. This is less than 2 weeks now.

Yeah that's the plan, but there isn't gonna be groundbreaking changes. I mean, this is an apple computer after all.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Butt Savage posted:

So I purchased my 13" rMBP a few days ago and I'm loving every minute of it. From the amazing trackpad and its gestures to the little things of OSX that make the big things come together so nicely (Spaces and Mission Control are a godsend). The hardware itself is amazing. I feel like I bought a BMW of the computing world. Just the thought of going back to Windows and the hardware built for it makes me frown. But there's one problem: I need a good sleeve/case for it. I could have sworn I saved previously recommended cases and sleeves to Evernote, but it looks like I didn't. I've been eyeballing Booq Viper Hardcases, and if anyone can attest to their construction and fit, I'd really appreciate it. I welcome any recommendations, they don't have to be hardcases in particular, sleeves are fine. And I promise to save them to Evernote this time. :)

Budget is about $45, maybe stretch to $50.

I can't recommend the booq Viper cases/sleeves enough - I had one for my 13" MBA and I absolutely loved it. I would've gotten one for my 15" rMBP, but got a booq backback instead.

I recommend booq to just about everyone, and everyone I know who owns them loves them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My only complaint with the Booq Viper is that it's bulky. I have a Speck pixelsleeve and another nylon case that the brand of escapes me, for when I need to take USB sticks or the power cord

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Bob Morales posted:

My only complaint with the Booq Viper is that it's bulky. I have a Speck pixelsleeve and another nylon case that the brand of escapes me, for when I need to take USB sticks or the power cord

It is slightly bulkier, but compared to the Speck/Incase/etc. sleeves that I've seen at Apple stores, I feel like it's rather better built and offers better protection.

Though in that regard, the hard case is a better option yet, and is the one I actually would recommend - it's what I used with my 13" MBA, and I had no problem with the size either putting it in a messenger bag or just carried on its own.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it my imagination or is the 11" MBA screen visibly sharper than the 13" MBA?

I've had the opportunity to try both out for a little while and at first I thought the 11" was much, much too small, but after using it I'm beginning to love it and the 13" actually feels too big!

However, the 13" screen just seems a tiny bit fuzzy, or something. It's hard to describe. I've checked the screen model and apparently it's a Samsung (the "good" one?) and the 11" has an LG.

Am I crazy?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

11" Air is 135 PPI and 13" Air is 128 PPI, so yeah I guess you could argue that the 11" Air's screen is sharper. Whether it's actually a noticeable difference is up to you.

They all look bad next to a Retina device. :)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

GokieKS posted:

It is slightly bulkier, but compared to the Speck/Incase/etc. sleeves that I've seen at Apple stores, I feel like it's rather better built and offers better protection.

Though in that regard, the hard case is a better option yet, and is the one I actually would recommend - it's what I used with my 13" MBA, and I had no problem with the size either putting it in a messenger bag or just carried on its own.

Any comments about the sleeve's/hard case's smell that some Amazon reviews mention? Something about it having a strong stench that resembles gasoline that subsides a bit after a while but still lingers. Regardless, the more I look at it, the more I think it suits my needs. I like the idea of having a hard protective case that I can use as primary protection for whenever I don't have the MacBook in a bag.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
This is kind of a weird question, but has anybody ever gotten a display replaced on a Macbook Pro? My older one developed a really bright spot on the screen at one point, so this weekend I decided to take it in to get a quote (even though, realistically, it's not really worth it). They offered me the $310 flat rate service, which I ended up taking them up on.

I just got it back today, and I noticed that the new display is one of the higher-resolution 1680x1050 displays instead of the original 1440x900 one. Is that sort of thing common (getting higher-spec parts back in a repair), or did I just get lucky (possibly due to a parts shortage)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You got lucky. Lots of times Apple might run out of a part, they'll go back to the vendor and when they find they no longer offer that part for that price, they substitute what's available. You were especially lucky as Apple doesn't offer the flat rate usually except to people just out of warranty.

Happens all the time with refurbs, they might publish the built-in drive as only having 128 GB and you buy it and discover a 256 GB inside because they only bothered to look at the initial config and didn't realize the machine was brought back for a bad drive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

As far as the flat rate thing goes, though, the guy I talked to specifically offered it because it was cheaper than the rate for the screen, so that was nice. I wouldn't have gone for it if he'd charged me the full $600 or whatever.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

We offer flat-rate all the time, especially when the cost of repair on something like a logic board ends up being twice the cost of a flat-rate mail-in. The best part about the mail-in repairs is that they'll fix anything and everything wrong with the machine. I've seen MacBooks go in for a bad screen and come back with a new battery, logic board, top case, and clamshell, all for $380. It may be more common for us since we're a third party repair center and not a corporate Apple store.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

empty baggie posted:

We offer flat-rate all the time, especially when the cost of repair on something like a logic board ends up being twice the cost of a flat-rate mail-in. The best part about the mail-in repairs is that they'll fix anything and everything wrong with the machine. I've seen MacBooks go in for a bad screen and come back with a new battery, logic board, top case, and clamshell, all for $380. It may be more common for us since we're a third party repair center and not a corporate Apple store.

Same thing happens there.

Also is it really $380? The Apple Store prices are $280 for 11 and 13 inch machines and $310 for 15 and 17 inch machines.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just how bad would a Samsung 840 EVO function in a Macbook (early 2011, core i5) without TRIM support. My limit at the moment is ~250 and if it's not abysmal it still would seem like an upgrade over my 5400rpm drive..wouldn't it be?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1997 posted:

Same thing happens there.

Also is it really $380? The Apple Store prices are $280 for 11 and 13 inch machines and $310 for 15 and 17 inch machines.

There's a $100 added charge for shipping and handling for 3rd parties, so we would charge $380 for 11 and 13's and $410 for 15 and 17. That's all Apple. We don't make a dime, unless there's some kickback on the back end. There's even two part codes for the mail-ins in GSX, with one being the 280 or 310 and the other 100.

E: ignore the part about us not making money. The chart I have been looking at was made by my company, not Apple. Oops.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 23, 2014

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

empty baggie posted:

There's a $100 added charge for shipping and handling for 3rd parties, so we would charge $380 for 11 and 13's and $410 for 15 and 17. That's all Apple. We don't make a dime, unless there's some kickback on the back end. There's even two part codes for the mail-ins in GSX, with one being the 280 or 310 and the other 100.

Yeah, that's a markup. It's a $19.95 shipping charge (ACSH04). It's ok though, we mark it up too and then throw in a backup.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just how bad would a Samsung 840 EVO function in a Macbook (early 2011, core i5) without TRIM support. My limit at the moment is ~250 and if it's not abysmal it still would seem like an upgrade over my 5400rpm drive..wouldn't it be?
I ran without TRIM for a while after an update with that same drive and MacBook. I didn't notice.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

Yeah, that's a markup. It's a $19.95 shipping charge (ACSH04). It's ok though, we mark it up too and then throw in a backup.

Yeah, now that I look at it, you're right. We are making about $80 on every mail-in. We throw in backups too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ideally you would want an Intel 530 but since it's somewhat pricey I think the next best choices are the PNY XLR8 Pro/non-Pro or a Seagate 600 Pro. None of these will have the performance quite of the 840 Evo but they also won't have their performance go to complete poo poo without TRIM.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Why would you not just download Trim enabler?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody else's Macbook take FOREVER to connect to wifi? Mine takes 1-2 minutes every time. I even tested it 2" away from my access point and it still takes forever every time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Why would you not just download Trim enabler?
Because as mentioned several times in the last few days here and in the SSD megathread, that might not work with 10.0 in 6 months so it's best to plan hardware purchases for the future.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Could anybody recommend a Mac-compatible print server with at least 3 USB ports? I'm trying to get 3 USB printers (Epson Stylus R1900 in case that matters) set up in a Mac lab with about 20 stations running OSX 10.5-10.9; so far attaching them to individual stations and using those as makeshift print servers is causing too many problems, so I wanted to establish a dedicated network device for the printers. I'm having a hell of a time find anything I can use in a pure Mac environment that fulfills my needs, so any help at all would be appreciated.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

revmoo posted:

Anybody else's Macbook take FOREVER to connect to wifi? Mine takes 1-2 minutes every time. I even tested it 2" away from my access point and it still takes forever every time.

Ever since 10.9.2 my 2013 11 in Air will decide not to connect every 4th time I wake it. Tried all the reset tricks and it still persists.

Actually now that I think of it, I haven't seen it since 10.9.3 dropped... :tinfoil:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pomale posted:

Could anybody recommend a Mac-compatible print server with at least 3 USB ports? I'm trying to get 3 USB printers (Epson Stylus R1900 in case that matters) set up in a Mac lab with about 20 stations running OSX 10.5-10.9; so far attaching them to individual stations and using those as makeshift print servers is causing too many problems, so I wanted to establish a dedicated network device for the printers. I'm having a hell of a time find anything I can use in a pure Mac environment that fulfills my needs, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Lantronix xPrintServer and a USB hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Ideally you would want an Intel 530 but since it's somewhat pricey I think the next best choices are the PNY XLR8 Pro/non-Pro or a Seagate 600 Pro. None of these will have the performance quite of the 840 Evo but they also won't have their performance go to complete poo poo without TRIM.

Sounds good; I'll look into the 600 pro. Are there benchmarks somewhere showing performance for the EVO with/without TRIM enabled?