Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jedit posted:

By which you mean "stop reiterating the bullshit I heard from some bloke down the pub without bothering to check if it was even vaguely true".

To be fair, as poo poo as he is for doing this, it once again highlights the point that was brought up in Flat Earth News about our lovely media. They haven't got time to fact check things, or the resources, or in the worst cases actively don't check for ideological reasons.

And then that poo poo gets passed on down the pub to people like Myrddin_Emrys and they believe it.

Everything is all linked, all of the time. One input can have lots of outputs further down the line.

Edit: Is it possible to be pro-political correctness and be pro-free speech and think that nothing should be exempt from being made fun of equally? Is there some half way house?

Because Steve Hughes is well funny.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

thehustler posted:

To be fair, as poo poo as he is for doing this, it once again highlights the point that was brought up in Flat Earth News about our lovely media. They haven't got time to fact check things, or the resources, or in the worst cases actively don't check for ideological reasons.

And then that poo poo gets passed on down the pub to people like Myrddin_Emrys and they believe it.

Everything is all linked, all of the time. One input can have lots of outputs further down the line.

Edit: Is it possible to be pro-political correctness and be pro-free speech and think that nothing should be exempt from being made fun of equally? Is there some half way house?

Because Steve Hughes is well funny.

Haha, the bitterness and anger in this thread is sublime.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Obliterati posted:

What's the source for that image? Not disputing the facts or anything, I just don't think I've ever seen the whole British Isles shown on a map like that before.

Take your pick they're all pretty much from the same source (2011 census)!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Isles_population_density_2011_NUTS3.svg
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/census/2011/uk-census/uk-censuses-population-map/index.html
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2011/jun/30/uk-population-mapped
(Guardian using a different scale system to the one mapped but with the same source, its easier to see though as you can zoom into london).

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 23, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Haha, the bitterness and anger in this thread is sublime.

Surely it's ok to be angry about viewpoints and ideologies sweeping the nation based on outright, provable lies and FUD (ie, bad statistics etc)

If it's not then something is loving broken.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol the ukips

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/05/22/local-elections-2014-as-it-happens posted:

15:46 - The BBC have released their projected national share for the local elections. Here it is:

LAB 31% CON 29% UKIP 17% LIBDEM 13% OTHERS 10%

So after all the talk of a "Ukip earthquake" their national share of the vote is actually down six points on what it was in the 2013 local elections.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's up with news outlets saying Ukip instead of UKIP suddenly?

Not defending their honour or anything, just wondering - seen it on BBC and Telegraph.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Not defending their honour or anything, just wondering - seen it on BBC and Telegraph.

It's a growing trend generally to not capitalise acronyms that are pronounced phoenetically, or at least not well known ones.

Ie Ukip is far more commonly heard than The United Kingdom Independence Party that its practically a word in its own right. That's the rationale anyway

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 23, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Spangly A posted:

do you really want to vote for a party who quietly want to dismantle the NHS?

Are you referring to the Conservatives, or is another party wanting to do the same?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

How much suitable land is there for building big cities in the highlands though? There's a reason it's a lovely location in Medieval Total War: Viking Invasion.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Broniki posted:

How much suitable land is there for building big cities in the highlands though? There's a reason it's a lovely location in Medieval Total War: Viking Invasion.

To be fair I often think the same about Edinburgh. They just looked at bunch of hills and volcanic crags and 'yeah, that's the place for our capital'. I'm glad they did though, I continue to be equally baffled and impressed at the way they've effectively cut a city out of the rock (the central bits at least). I don't even want to imagine how many people died in its construction.

e: To actually answer your question I don't think it would be too much of an issue to find somewhere. The reason Inverness is pretty much the only major city is because agriculture is very difficult which was a huge problem in the days when the majority of your food had to be sourced locally (and the highlands are pretty much good only for sheep). Since the 19th C there's not really been anything stopping a city being built physically, but there's been no real reason to create one either. You also have the problem of landowners holding huge swathes of it combined with the upper classes enjoying having it as a 'wilderness' area for game hunting that has probably also stymied development.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 23, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alecto posted:

FML, my sister just told me about how the majority of the English population are no longer white British. But I guess that's fair enough and she can't at all be blamed for swallowing an obviously ludicrous statistic (~80% of the English population is white British), because, you know, she read it somewhere, and what is healthy scepticism anyway?

It's true for London, and does anywhere else really matter?

I still don't really get why it's such a big deal. "No no, I'm not racist, but it is SUPER IMPORTANT that Britain remains majority white until the end of time because [reasons]."

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
If Mexico City can be built at elevations from 8000' to 13,000' there isn't anywhere in the UK that can't be a city.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
london is actually a terrible place for a modern city, construction-wise: alluvial silty soils

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Organs posted:

Are you referring to the Conservatives, or is another party wanting to do the same?

UKIP do.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The downside to this though is 17%, if repeated in a General Election*, will see them get.... one seat. Which means Fartrage won't resign.**

* I don't think it will. Personally I think their share of the vote will be in single figures at the next election.

** I don't think he will resign even if they don't get a seat. What will he do if he can't get followed around by TV cameras all day? His job?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Let's be fair labour and lib dems also voted in support of "reforms" because a staggeringly high number of MPs and lords have shares invested in private healthcare companies.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Fluo posted:

Also just post the full photo, cropping is pretty dumb.

I want a comedy arse like that now. Mine's not funny at all.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

The Guardian on the topic:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/may/23/mind-your-language-ukip?CMP=twt_gu

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
My ward's council election results are in, the Lib Dems (who used to run the borough in a lib dem/tory coalition) came 4th behind Labour, Greens, Tories in that order. The UKIPs didn't even bother running a candidate because inner London won't elect them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

How are those elections going, comrades?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's true for London, and does anywhere else really matter?

I still don't really get why it's such a big deal. "No no, I'm not racist, but it is SUPER IMPORTANT that Britain remains majority white until the end of time because [reasons]."

What about staying majority British? (I'm specifically refering to London now, I'm aware Cornwall is not on the verge of being overun). I'm not anti immigrant, immigrants come here meld into the fabric of society, change it a bit, change themselves a bit and that becomes modern british culture. But in somewhere like London which see very large immigrant groups arriving over a relatively short period of time I don't think that happens, there's no evolution, the nebulous "britishness" that existed can seem like it's just been shunted to the side. I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear. I also like working in one of the most multi cultural industries in London, I'm going for a pint with a Serb, a Scot and a Spaniard after work (hah alliteration!), but I don't think our immigration policy as it exists inside the EU is the correct one.

I nearly voted Ukip, but in the end I went for Green because they have EU referendum as a policy. I actually quite like Farage for all the reasons the papers list, mainly he's not some smooth faced creep like Cameron Clegg and Milliband, they make my skin crawl. every other UKIP representantive seems like a loving sneering prick though, so I couldn't vote for them.

I also belive that the orderly winding down of the EU would be great for everyone involved

You can all call me a racist now

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

R. Mute posted:

How are those elections going, comrades?

Labour (center-left) won just about enough seats to claim a success, the Tories (right) did badly but not crushingly so, the lib dems (centrist) took a hell of a pasting, and UKIP (lunatic right) did better than expected but still don't have any actual power.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Illuminti posted:

What about staying majority British? (I'm specifically refering to London now, I'm aware Cornwall is not on the verge of being overun). I'm not anti immigrant, immigrants come here meld into the fabric of society, change it a bit, change themselves a bit and that becomes modern british culture. But in somewhere like London which see very large immigrant groups arriving over a relatively short period of time I don't think that happens, there's no evolution, the nebulous "britishness" that existed can seem like it's just been shunted to the side. I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear. I also like working in one of the most multi cultural industries in London, I'm going for a pint with a Serb, a Scot and a Spaniard after work (hah alliteration!), but I don't think our immigration policy as it exists inside the EU is the correct one.

I nearly voted Ukip, but in the end I went for Green because they have EU referendum as a policy. I actually quite like Farage for all the reasons the papers list, mainly he's not some smooth faced creep like Cameron Clegg and Milliband, they make my skin crawl. every other UKIP representantive seems like a loving sneering prick though, so I couldn't vote for them.

I also belive that the orderly winding down of the EU would be great for everyone involved

Can you define what being 'British' is please.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Illuminti posted:

Is this not more a result of London being the centre of everything than immigration alone? I think most posters here will agree that ghettoisation is not great.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Illuminti posted:

Before : "Ain't no black in the Union Jack!"
Now : "It's not racist to impose limits on immigration"

It's the same song, just remixed.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

HortonNash posted:

Before : "Ain't no black in the Union Jack!"
Now : "It's not racist to impose limits on immigration"

It's the same song, just remixed.

Stewart Lee posted:

if political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Labour (center-left) won just about enough seats to claim a success, the Tories (right) did badly but not crushingly so, the lib dems (centrist) took a hell of a pasting, and UKIP (lunatic right) did better than expected but still don't have any actual power.
So basically nothing changes?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

R. Mute posted:

No one actually ever wins UK elections, they just rank themselves from bad to worst.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Illuminti posted:

What about staying majority British? ... I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear.

Life is change. :dealwithit:

e/ You'll always be British, for as long as you continue to feel that you are. If feeling that you're one of the last saddens you, well, just think of coming to terms with that as practice for when you're on your deathbed :v: (I'm serious)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

R. Mute posted:

I think if you look at it from another perspective you could say 'everything changes'.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fluo posted:

If you can't laugh at the nazis, the nazis have won in my opinion.

You get the idea.

I want to watch this show.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Illuminti posted:

But in somewhere like London which see very large immigrant groups arriving over a relatively short period of time I don't think that happens, there's no evolution, the nebulous "britishness" that existed can seem like it's just been shunted to the side.

Even if this was true, so what? What difference does it make to your life if some groups in London prefer to keep to themselves?

Illuminti posted:

I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear.

So what is your definition of 'British'? Who is taking away your British history?

Illuminti posted:

I actually quite like Farage for all the reasons the papers list, mainly he's not some smooth faced creep like Cameron Clegg and Milliband, they make my skin crawl.

No he's just a public school educated, ex-stockbroker, ex-Tory party member, very well off man of the people.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

happyhippy posted:

Can you define what being 'British' is please.

Ooh this ones easy it's about bowing to a German-greek royal family

It's about "British" institutions been owned by the Dutch (Royal Shell) the French (EON) and the Germans (parts of our railnet)

It's about using a language that applies French vocabulary to German grammar

It's about following a religion founded by a Palestinian that was originally governed out of Italy

It's about eating our national dish an Indian Tika Masala

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not sure if demanding to know what 'being British' means to people will stop them voting UKIP.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ferrosol posted:

Ooh this ones easy it's about bowing to a German-greek royal family

It's about "British" institutions been owned by the Dutch (Royal Shell) the French (EON) and the Germans (parts of our railnet)

It's about using a language that applies French vocabulary to German grammar

It's about following a religion founded by a Palestinian that was originally governed out of Italy

It's about eating our national dish an Indian Tika Masala

Oh dear... oh dear oh deary me! :ohdear:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

I want to watch this show.

Danger 5 owns, all I can describe it as is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace set in World War 2.

Here's a playlist of one of the episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0OQk_vShg&list=PLCA88447EF0DFB80B

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure if demanding to know what 'being British' means to people will stop them voting UKIP.

I think we need a new TV series of Alf Garnett who is a UKIP supporter.
Someone contact the BBC stat!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

happyhippy posted:

I think we need a new TV series of Alf Garnett who is a UKIP supporter.
Someone contact the BBC stat!

BBC will pass, Channel 5 will be all over it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Illuminti posted:

I'm not anti immigrant, immigrants come here meld into the fabric of society, change it a bit, change themselves a bit and that becomes modern british culture. But in somewhere like London which see very large immigrant groups arriving over a relatively short period of time I don't think that happens, there's no evolution, the nebulous "britishness" that existed can seem like it's just been shunted to the side. I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear.

Do you honestly feel like all this history and the 'social cues' are disappearing all around you? And you're becoming a stranger in your own country?

The reason this kind of talk makes people's ears prick up is because it's associated with little englanders. People who see society changing, as societies do, and they have this idea of exactly what the country should and shouldn't be like - and they want that model village ideal to follow them wherever they go, so even if they travel they'll never have to experience something that doesn't fit the picture in their head.

And anything at all that doesn't fit, no matter how small and how little it affects their lives, becomes a distasteful symbol of decay. People who aren't white, a British-sounding person with a foreign name, an overheard snippet of conversation in another language. And then they start talking about how everything's changing and they're becoming a minority in their own country, how Britain is becoming 'lost' and 'overrun'. A lot of the time they're just getting old

R. Mute posted:

These were local council elections, they might make the difference about who has control over local authorities, but the national government is committed to cutting local funding and interfering wherever possible, so there's not a lot a change in council control would affect even on a local level. But we've had some cronyism talk so maybe that's not entirely true.

Doesn't change the big picture though, no. Except the media is committed to running with this UKIP EARTHQUAKE their vote share actually dropped narrative, so it'll probably pull everyone even further to the right so they can pander to all the kippers. I think it's going to get more poo poo and more divisive, and the anti-immigrant rhetoric is probably going to step up a gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

Many people have wildly different opinions on what 'being British' (or any other national identity) entails.

• Locked thread