Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gift versions officially fixed! Go hog wild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like gift copy purchases are fixed now. Restart Steam client and install, it's now a 2400ish mb install vs 116 mb.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orv posted:

Oh Tropico, how I have missed you. :allears:

This is totally me :spergin: but this is interesting. They redid the decorations on Penultimo's collar to be even more like Anwar Sadat's (whom Penultimo's uniform is modeled on) but his new hat isn't modeled after Anwar's. :v:

And a new voice actor? But.. he was lovably dorky sounding in Tropico 4.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I miss Sunny as the snarky female reporter too. Ah well.

Edit: Not picking out traits feels wrong for some reason. How am I gonna be a drunken womanizer who makes the ships come more often?

Kammat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 23, 2014

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
um, apparently Trop 5 absolutely requires DirectX 11 and a vid card thats' compatible with it, and refuses to start without it. Seems a really odd choice, since Trop 4 was blisteringly fast with my GTX 260. Ah well, off to try to get Steam to throw me a refund.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kammat posted:

I miss Sunny as the snarky female reporter too. Ah well.

Edit: Not picking out traits feels wrong for some reason. How am I gonna be a drunken womanizer who makes the ships come more often?

Yeah, the new lady DJ sounds kinda like Betty Boom, only not as stupid. Penultimo II's VA is growing on me. I loved his dorky lovableness in 4, but 5's Penultimo develops own sort of dignified dorkyness once you get out of the tutorial. He sounds like a right hand man that can actually get things done while still not a threat at all to El Presidente's rule.

Also, I managed to actually LOSE the election in the tutorial. :v:

"His magesty wants to exchange wood for sheep. Wood for sheep anyone?" I was not expecting a Cataan joke in Tropico.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZachRyker posted:

um, apparently Trop 5 absolutely requires DirectX 11 and a vid card thats' compatible with it, and refuses to start without it. Seems a really odd choice, since Trop 4 was blisteringly fast with my GTX 260. Ah well, off to try to get Steam to throw me a refund.

Are you loving kidding me? gently caress, my computer is a bit old but still runs any game fine just my card is a bit old. I'm probably goign to be in the same boat. God drat it all I wanted to do was play tropico this weekend. Guess I'm due for a new computer anyways.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the new lady DJ sounds kinda like Betty Boom, only not as stupid. Penultimo II's VA is growing on me. I loved his dorky lovableness in 4, but 5's Penultimo develops own sort of dignified dorkyness once you get out of the tutorial. He sounds like a right hand man that can actually get things done while still not a threat at all to El Presidente's rule.

Also, I managed to actually LOSE the election in the tutorial. :v:

"His magesty wants to exchange wood for sheep. Wood for sheep anyone?" I was not expecting a Cataan joke in Tropico.

She is like a mix between Sunny and Miss Pineapple. Even men in Tropico have standards in term of women who throw themselves around.

Also Betty now has an arch nemesis in the form of Veronica Veneno. The girl is a complete 1% tool that Betty would shoot first before El Presidente.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, there don't seem to be any jobs that are gender limited, besides maybe dancers for nightclubs and such. You can even have lady soldiers with awesome pilgrim hats in the colonial era!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alkydere posted:

So, there don't seem to be any jobs that are gender limited, besides maybe dancers for nightclubs and such. You can even have lady soldiers with awesome pilgrim hats in the colonial era!
Well that's great news, this was one of my irritations in 4.

Now I just have to hope it runs on my beater card! Even minimum graphics are sufficient to show my reverence towards Presidente.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

drat researchers!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Woo! Ranches in this game work like Organic Ranches in 4! Plonk it down, cattle stay in pens, no bitching about "not enough grazing area" if you build around them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Woo! Ranches in this game work like Organic Ranches in 4! Plonk it down, cattle stay in pens, no bitching about "not enough grazing area" if you build around them.

Farms are the same way. It's all completely grid based which doesn't look quite as nice but is far more functional.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's even better than that, you can plop down your farm anywhere you want, you only require land for the building itself. The farm will fill out any space available. It works vice-versa too, if you want to slowly phase the farm out you can drop buildings on the plot and fire a few people.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I can only assume I'm running into a bug (non-Steam version) where once the next era starts it kicks me back to the main menu and any attempt to load my savegame just sits forever.

I've deleted and redownloading now. :sigh:

I'm also kinda pissed that when I pre-ordered the game it was listed as a Steam key now all references to Steam are gone from their page and it uses the Kalypso launcher.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, does the game feel like Tropico, or something else entirely? I know they changed the VA, and you can't directly control El Presidente anymore.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

IAmTheRad posted:

So, does the game feel like Tropico, or something else entirely? I know they changed the VA, and you can't directly control El Presidente anymore.

It still feels pretty Tropico. It's definitely a big shift in gameplay, and I still have to see how it goes through the ages, but the same basic gameplay of placing buildings and trying to keep the population under control is there. The feedback from buildings/citizens is very different and will take some getting used to coming from T4.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 23, 2014

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAmTheRad posted:

Its literally tropico 4 with better graphics and a few minor tweaks. Its about the same jump forward tropico 3 -> tropico 4 was.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Poil posted:

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

Yeah, I had the same issue. I got up to 49% approval...then tanked to 40%. Even after I cut taxes.

IAmTheRad posted:

Still feels like Tropico. Some good new stuff, some bad new stuff, a lot of cleaned up stuff.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Poil posted:

Don't bother it just ends when you win the election.

You're supposed to crank out edicts that make people happy and increase the wages while putting down houses (at least that's what I did). The approval tank seems scripted to make sure you're doing everything to suck up.

When elections hit I was 49% and went to 64% with agreeing to cheat the results.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game has a poo poo ton of typos btw. Like they didnt proof-read any of the quotes and half the mission statements.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Right, make sure you've got a beefy military if you decide to give the crown the finger and try to fight them off. A single guard tower and a military fort is definitely not nearly enough.

a creepy colon posted:

This game has a poo poo ton of typos btw. Like they didnt proof-read any of the quotes and half the mission statements.

There's even typos in the Steam cards. It's hilariously stupid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

a creepy colon posted:

Four was pretty bad for that as well at release. They were gradually cleaned up in patches.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Huh, I'm still having the 116MB download issue. Guess I shouldn't complain since I don't really have time to play right now and got the game for free as a suprise belated christmas present, but it's still rather lovely. Did you guys have to do anything in particular to resolve it?

I've tried restarting steam etc, but still nothing.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I'm playing the campaign on the "low" difficulty, and still I'm having a hard time. What are easy ways to get fast money/support?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Grawl posted:

I'm playing the campaign on the "low" difficulty, and still I'm having a hard time. What are easy ways to get fast money/support?

Make a lot of money crops? In the start you can get a decent bit from exporting tobacco and the like.

Upgraded ranches near plantations can boost output ( atleast with cattle.)

If you can maintain a bit of a buffer, you can even use multiple docks to import goods at low prices, and export at higher ones.

Still not completely in it yet, but those seem to work for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you can get to the right era, the old rum and canning markets are still very profitable.

Everything seems to generate money faster than in 4 so make sure your industry keeps buzzing, whichever ones you choose.

EDIT: I should clarify that production is faster, but selling seems to be slower early on until you have a decent trading fleet.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Maybe I haven't gotten far enough yet in the game, but how do you increase the number of ships you can use for trade?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Build more docks.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

When in sandbox, are the era shifts inevitable? Could I stay indefinitely in (say) Colonial, provided I can get my mandate renewed, or do I eventually have to declare independence as there's no more mandates extensions?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

canepazzo posted:

When in sandbox, are the era shifts inevitable? Could I stay indefinitely in (say) Colonial, provided I can get my mandate renewed, or do I eventually have to declare independence as there's no more mandates extensions?

They're not inevitable as far as I can tell, at least not the Colonial one. I haven't reached the others. If you really want you can sit there and keep buying extra years from the king instead of $$ or settler rewards. The revolution starts only when you say it starts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

They're not inevitable as far as I can tell, at least not the Colonial one. I haven't reached the others. If you really want you can sit there and keep buying extra years from the king instead of $$ or settler rewards. The revolution starts only when you say it starts.

Looking at TB's video it looks like you can extend the WW era just by ignoring the obvious final stage of the questline.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I don't know if I'll ever get used to aged Penultimo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lucinice posted:

I don't know if I'll ever get used to aged Penultimo.

Just consider him Penultimo Sr. The Penultimo from 4 is obviously Penultimo Jr. who tries his best to take after daddy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I cranked the difficulty all the way up in sandbox and actually lost an election.

The eras mechanic is alright, but I feel like I'll get annoyed with the progression grind since there's only so much you can do as a colony. At least you can skip that era in sandbox.

No more gendered jobs, which is nice. Now that the game is tangibly harder they don't need artificial difficulty like that.

Pay and rent have both been abstracted, so that each worker gets placed in a category like poor, well-off, rich, etc. Which makes it easier than the old trick of paying all your people in multiples of 3 to make rent control and housing exclusion easy to calculate.

I feel like this is a bigger step than between 3->4. It kind of feels like a different game that just shares all the same concepts.

canepazzo posted:

I think they prod you along eventually by warning you in an event that mandate years will be harder to get. Dunno if that's true or not but it got close for me when I was trying to see how long I could go as a colony.

There just isn't enough to do in colonial era to want to keep me playing there. I guess that's an obvious DLC candidate.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I like how there is a to point to building country homes instead houses now; homes have their own garden which provides food to it's residents, which is perfect for when your setting up far away mines and logging camps.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 23, 2014

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Three years into my sandbox and

:sigh:

That said I'm having a lot of fun with it. Can't wait to get through a full game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well I just got an interesting graphical error. The windows and everything seem to work fine, and the game itself launches. However, instead of a map I get a bunch of jaggedly dancing-around polygons where I presume I would normally see the grid, roads, the brave people of Tropico, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Three years into my sandbox and

:sigh:

That said I'm having a lot of fun with it. Can't wait to get through a full game.

Oh man, don't tell me they still stick around for a loving month.

Anyways, beep beep, coming through! The ships actually have collision and will get stuck on each other.

Also, I suck at this and can barely keep my treasury in the black. :v:

• Locked thread