Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated: So Arced Blade? Yes/No?

In my first playthrough I ended up using the Murakumo as my main weapon and it was pretty baller. Arced Sword as far as I know is identical save for having 20 less base power in exchange for bumping the Strength scaling from E to C, so might be better in a dedicated max Str/Dex build? If you don't want to waste Dragon Bones just give the Murakumo a try and see how you like it, be sure to make liberal use of the two-handed R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The stamina regen is only really noticable when you compared ridiculously light to nearly 70%. Basically, as long as you are below 70% your character is fine.

25 vit is really, really high though.

EDIT: So I decided to do some rough testing to figure out profound still's maximum range. I believe this is it. If you are anywhere between my character and the Herald when I cast profound still, you will be silenced.

:wtc:

Why do I never see people use this?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 23, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The stamina regen is only really noticable when you compared ridiculously light to nearly 70%. Basically, as long as you are below 70% your character is fine.

'course it's high, I plan on using the full Looking Glass set, which is altogether heavy as balls. Honestly I probably still need to put another 10-15 points into it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

deimos posted:

Had a guy invade me there, immediately seeded to watch the fireworks. :laugh:

You actually didn't need to use a Seed. The statues target invaders regardless.

It's why it's, honestly, quite possibly the most disadvantageous place to invade I can think of. The invader shows up next to The Rotten door, and if the host is on the complete opposite side near the first bonfire...you literally have to do most of the work FOR them just to get to them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Raygereio posted:

As far as I know the weapon buff spells don't scale. Flame Weapon will always add 50 fire damage to the weapon and improve overall fire damage by 30% for 90 seconds. Doesn't matter if you cast it with a Pyromancy Flame +0 or +10.
You can use Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to increase the duration by 15%, but that's not scaling.

He was specifically asking about duration, not damage modifier... :eng101:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

On my STR Ultra AnimeSword guy I keep going back to 30-45% weight and usually with Chloranthy 'cause anything higher just don't feel right. Periodically I bump up VIT some more and toss on some fashion souls, but inevitably I get hit by too many things I thought I'd be clear of. The roll distance difference gets very noticeable, sometimes meaning one roll is enough instead of needing two. Less rolls and faster stamina regen lets me fit in more of the giant slow weapon attacks.

After a bunch of hours in DS1 with medium to heavy weapons and always fastrolling with a grass crest on my back, 100+ AGL and ~40% weight is where I'm most comfy in DS2.

With all the groovy looking armor and cloth effects I'm pretty bummed there's no Havel's ring equivalent to really bump up the range of stuff you can toss on without affecting movement.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Royal Soldier's Ring ?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

On my STR Ultra AnimeSword guy I keep going back to 30-45% weight and usually with Chloranthy 'cause anything higher just don't feel right. Periodically I bump up VIT some more and toss on some fashion souls, but inevitably I get hit by too many things I thought I'd be clear of. The roll distance difference gets very noticeable, sometimes meaning one roll is enough instead of needing two. Less rolls and faster stamina regen lets me fit in more of the giant slow weapon attacks.

After a bunch of hours in DS1 with medium to heavy weapons and always fastrolling with a grass crest on my back, 100+ AGL and ~40% weight is where I'm most comfy in DS2.

With all the groovy looking armor and cloth effects I'm pretty bummed there's no Havel's ring equivalent to really bump up the range of stuff you can toss on without affecting movement.

The cutoff points for stamina regen tiers are 39% and 55% so there's no need to worry about anything in between those numbers.

And 19% I guess but who is really going to manage that?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You actually didn't need to use a Seed. The statues target invaders regardless.

It's why it's, honestly, quite possibly the most disadvantageous place to invade I can think of. The invader shows up next to The Rotten door, and if the host is on the complete opposite side near the first bonfire...you literally have to do most of the work FOR them just to get to them.

I was at the bonfire and everything was spawned and I had rolled through every statue, he rolled through the statues but got poisoned, but he stopped at the worms, when the worms knocked half his health off he ran towards the first set of black pools... and proceeded to get grabbed by the grabber :ohdear:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Royal soldier ring and Second/third dragon ring. Royal soldier and X Dragon ring even stacks.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Jordbo posted:

I've understood that you can't use ascetics on the nearby bonfire to get Wellager to sell WotG, but the guide says that you specifically have to kill the Looking Glass Knight and Nashandra in NG+++ to unlock it. Has anyone tried that, or is it absolutely impossible to get WotG on a new game?

Edit: As in, used ascetics on their respective bonfires until you've killed the NG+++ versions

NG++, not +++. You also don't need to kill Nashandra or the Looking Glass Knight either. Just run right up to Wellager as soon as you enter the castle and he'll sell the stuff.

The terminology's a little weird. NG++ is NG3, since NG(1) is just your first run through the game.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
There are Havel ring imitators, but no equivalent. Stacking +2 versions of two rings (that have their own weight) to get less than a 50% boost is not something Havel the Great would stand for :black101:.

I love the fastroll up to 70% part, but making equip load its own stat and taking away the +70% equip boost from Havel's + Ring of FaP is a bummer.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The gutter :smithicide:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Short and easy. That's no Blighttown.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I don't even want to know how many times those dog fuckers made me roll backwards off an edge or those mummies launching my rear end off a bridge or the boards that fall apart and send you plummeting to your doom. The real dark souls started as soon as I launched myself at Mach speed down a pit to my death.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Whix posted:

Oh yes, loving Dark Fog. Killed both invaders in Belfry Luna without them even touching me. Dark Fog owns in tight spaces.

It owns period. If you don't have high poison resist there's pretty much no reacting to it, you just get poisoned instantly.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't even want to know how many times those dog fuckers made me roll backwards off an edge or those mummies launching my rear end off a bridge or the boards that fall apart and send you plummeting to your doom. The real dark souls started as soon as I launched myself at Mach speed down a pit to my death.
The dogs are pretty lovely, but have some throwing knives on hand for the mummies, that usually kills them in a hit or two.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobnumerotres posted:

It owns period. If you don't have high poison resist there's pretty much no reacting to it, you just get poisoned instantly.

I think it's only managed to poison me once actually. Granted I was never in a corridor when it hit but you can roll away pretty easily then from there sprint at them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Remember on your first playthrough and you're doing the gutter and you think it can't get any worse and then you hit Black Gulch? :allears:

(I do actually like both zones. Way better than the shitheap that is Tseldora)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

The cutoff points for stamina regen tiers are 39% and 55% so there's no need to worry about anything in between those numbers.

And 19% I guess but who is really going to manage that?

I've heard it's 30%/50%/70%.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Are there any sorcery basics I should know? I thought from the beta people were talking about being able to 2hand your catalyst for more damage but that doesn't seem to be a thing.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Red Crown posted:

I've heard it's 30%/50%/70%.

quote:

By increasing the equipment load by 10% increments these are the results compared to 0%.

10% equipment load: 3.5% slower stamina recovery
20% equipment load: 5.0% slower stamina recovery
30% equipment load: 10% slower stamina recovery
40% equipment load: 17.5% slower stamina recovery
50% equipment load: 30% slower stamina recovery
60% equipment load: 40% slower stamina recovery
70% equipment load: 55% slower stamina recovery
80% equipment load: 65% slower stamina recovery
90% equipment load: 80% slower stamina recovery
100% equipment load: 100% slower stamina recovery
110% equipment load: 125% slower stamina recovery
120% equipment load: 150% slower stamina recovery

http://acuteanthrax.blogspot.ca/2014/04/the-big-bad-guide-to-stamina-recovery.html

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

There are times when you just need to walk away from the arena. When you keep getting matched against a guy rocking a neon blue aura, sprinting around at binocular speed in full ironclad armor, rocking invisible Avelyns, and taking literal slivers of damage when hit with dead on with your best attacks, it's time to walk away for a few hours.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I suspect I was thinking of the dodge roll distance cutoffs, and had assumed they linked to stamina regeneration rates. RIP.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

cerebral posted:

There are times when you just need to walk away from the arena. When you keep getting matched against a guy rocking a neon blue aura, sprinting around at binocular speed in full ironclad armor, rocking invisible Avelyns, and taking literal slivers of damage when hit with dead on with your best attacks, it's time to walk away for a few hours.

I would quit out. They might be running the hack I was hit with that corrupts your character permanently, and then you're hosed.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Xeras posted:

Are there any sorcery basics I should know? I thought from the beta people were talking about being able to 2hand your catalyst for more damage but that doesn't seem to be a thing.
Upgrade your catalyst for more damage, infuse it with Magic if you can (if you're going pure Sorcery), use Binoculars to aim your spells, Carhellion is a Mage vendor, use Herbs to refill your spell charges.
e: For a melee weapon (you will need one) use the Dagger to backstab/riposte enemies that have high magic resistance, and if you don't want to waste your spells on them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How did raising my vigor to 17 while my attenuation is only 10 increasing the bonus damage on my mundane santier's spear from 130 to 145?

e: Also what determines how long a weapon staggers you? Not having your poise broken, your recovery. Sometimes it's immediately, sometimes I never do before dying.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 23, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I would quit out. They might be running the hack I was hit with that corrupts your character permanently, and then you're hosed.

The real dark souls starts right about there actually

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: So I decided to do some rough testing to figure out profound still's maximum range. I believe this is it. If you are anywhere between my character and the Herald when I cast profound still, you will be silenced.

:wtc:

Why do I never see people use this?

Because it's an anti-mage spell which basically requires that you are also a mage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wallet posted:

There's one important thing you missed, which is that the Hunter's bow uses significantly less stamina than the rest of the bows with decent scaling, which allows you to shoot four times on a full stamina bar (at the soft cap), while the others can only shoot three times (Dragonrider Bow is only two shots I think?). Four shots happens to be the number required to poison most enemies. At 40 STR/DEX it does more damage than the Sea/Composite bows, as well.

Didn't know that, guess I've got a new bow to try out.

And yeah, I'd never use the Dragonrider Bow for anything but sniping from faraway in PvE. I sort of assumed that was what was originally asked.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

NG++, not +++. You also don't need to kill Nashandra or the Looking Glass Knight either. Just run right up to Wellager as soon as you enter the castle and he'll sell the stuff.

The terminology's a little weird. NG++ is NG3, since NG(1) is just your first run through the game.

No, I mean, what if I killed the Looking Glass Knight three times through ascetics on NG, and likewise with Nashandra, could I then get Wrath of the Gods from Wellager on NG? The guide suggests this could be done, since I technically would have killed them on NG++, but the guide isn't always correct.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Pyromancy doesn't seem so grand in PVP... Think I'll stick it out wih Sorcery

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Jordbo posted:

No, I mean, what if I killed the Looking Glass Knight three times through ascetics on NG, and likewise with Nashandra, could I then get Wrath of the Gods from Wellager on NG? The guide suggests this could be done, since I technically would have killed them on NG++, but the guide isn't always correct.
No, Ascetics don't work if you want WoG, Bountiful Sunlight and GCF. You have to go to the actual NG++

Stringbean posted:

Pyromancy doesn't seem so grand in PVP... Think I'll stick it out wih Sorcery
Forbidden Sun is great, and Flame Swathe is good if your opponents are bad at dodging.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Is there any way to get the other shadow helmet?

This one looks way cooler than the straight silver one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just killed a guy because he tried to dodge the most random fireball I threw at him. Like dude you're on a ledge just take the 100 damage or so.

e: right as i say that i get called to a dude who's naked and shot me to death with dual wielded invisible avelyn's. backstabbed him, did 10 damage with a +8 bastard sword. :geno:

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2014

unnamed
May 5, 2005
charooga
Reposting for stamina/equip load chat reference:
https://mediacru.sh/uEkL0P4qyY6h

(sorry if I'm not crediting one of you for this, can't remember where I got it)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can't roll through pursuers now? It's the first time I've tried since DS1. Why bother using soul mass over it then?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You can't roll through pursuers now? It's the first time I've tried since DS1. Why bother using soul mass over it then?

Yes you can. What is your agility?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yes you can. What is your agility?

e: Actually never mind, based on how a guy with a trident killed me before he actually swung the trident the game is just laggy as poo poo right now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Easily doable. Could be lag, could be you loving up the timing. It's trivially easy to dodge which is why I never use it. It's basically worthless compared to Soulmass which fires much faster and can be prevented from firing til the right time.