Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Max was a springer spaniel, not a sharpei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1-D
2-H
3-L
4-R

We are proud, but compassionate. Those who have truly proven themselves men can join us on the holy journey, and we will grant a final mercy to those who yearn for it.

Plus beaucoup points in favor of the rumored cannibal giant from the sea if he's leading a piety party and not just a band of professional soldiers through your town, might be helpful somewhere in there.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

bonus hole boy posted:

right now snarls is in the ballpark of great dane size, probably a bit bigger.

Man I had my sizes all out of whack. I looked up the tallest man in recorded history ; his knees are about halfway up a 6ft tall man - making Snarls about 3 to 3.5ft tall? Big, but no where near how big I was thinking.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
1. Do you want to take the Pilgrims with you?
C. Yes. I will take any young men who wants to go. Even if they probably can't afford to feed themselves. This will probably earn me brownie points in Baitel and be seen as pious, but I will have to buy extra supplies. This should net me about sixty pilgrims. I can expect to add about eight weeks to my trip each way. -15 pounds of silver

2. Do you want to take any old men with you?
I. I will even take the cripples. This is going to be a mess logistically, but I do it for El. People in Baitel will surley take notes if I do this.

3. How much extra silver do you bring with you? This amount will INCLUDE the silver you will need for questions 1 or 2.
N. 40 pounds.

4. Do you accept?
R. Yes.

5. Do you grant their request?
W. I do it for free. -10 pounds of silver.

Let's ask Lefkandi if he has any particular items he'd like us to take to Baitel to demonstrate his talent, and to give as gifts and such along the way. Even if it's just a symbolic amount of pots and wine jugs, the fine work would surely help remind people that even in the frontier we're pretty civilized.

Let's ask Gaddiel if he thinks hoofrot will be an issue for the minotaur, given its living conditions for the next few months.

Let's ask Lullaya if he wants to come with us. Even if we've got bad blood, we should bury the hatchet and cooperate as peers.

Let's ask Gareb if he wants to come too, since he's a pretty cool dude.

Let's talk to Tudiya and Ishamal together about Sushem being alive, in private. The description from Danal, and the testimony from Bagar are important. Even if Danal did not recognize the significance, we have, and we should bring it up.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 23, 2014

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Arkanomen posted:

C H L R Money is a matter for merchants and kings. We will do the work of El and he will protect and provide.

This. We only like to follow directions sporadically, but when we do it usually ends up with us getting to do awesome stuff. Soup straining sounds boring, but now we are huge and eight times as strong as we should be. El has got our back.

Edit - Also, Robert Wadlow, the tallest man ever recorded, stood at about 9 feet. He weighed 440 pounds and was not a fat man. However, neither was he buff as gently caress. It is not unusual for a very strong man to be able to squat twice his bodyweight. If we assume that we weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 440 pounds, then just our regular strength should allow us to squat at least 800 pounds. This doesn't sound strange to me considering there are regular, non blooded, humans who can squat that in real life. Now multiply that by 8 and Enkidel can probably do a full squat with 6400 pounds on his back.

Not bad. Why can't we swing that drat club?

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2014

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Task Manager posted:

Man I had my sizes all out of whack. I looked up the tallest man in recorded history ; his knees are about halfway up a 6ft tall man - making Snarls about 3 to 3.5ft tall? Big, but no where near how big I was thinking.

Proportionally, that guy is like 2/3rds leg. On your average person, feet to knee is probably a bit less than 1/4th of your total height. Snarls is probably just a little bit under 3 feet tall, and between 4 and 5 feet long.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Nope, we are not carting corpses along too.

It has been made clear that the bones of the dead are just bones. Bringing the old men might allow them an easier climb, and it'll certainly grant them solace in their final moments, but it won't do anything for the souls of the long-dead. This is a matter of family prestige, if anything, and that's not our purpose.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

UppaTree posted:

Nope, we are not carting corpses along too.

It has been made clear that the bones of the dead are just bones. Bringing the old men might allow them an easier climb, and it'll certainly grant them solace in their final moments, but it won't do anything for the souls of the long-dead. This is a matter of family prestige, if anything, and that's not our purpose.

I understand where you're coming from, but doing this will give Enkidel extra personal prestige and make him seem even less like a cannibal. Remember, he's the sole black guy going to Baitel, he'll be the first they've ever seen. Tudiya's worries are very real, and doing everything we can to mitigate the problem is wise.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

All aboard who's coming aboard!

Look, we're likely to only do this once. And even if we end up making this trip again in the future, first impressions count. Let's milk this baby for as much Baitel Cred as we can!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

the_steve posted:

I had a shar-pei named Max when I was growing up :smith:

Diogines posted:

Max was a springer spaniel, not a sharpei.

You're both wrong. Max was a shiba inu. And technically his name was Maximiliano, as befit a King.

Here's to all deceased childhood pets named Max. :smith::respek::smith:

1. C. The young bucks can help carry the old.

2. I. Besides the fact it's a Good Deed…who the hell is going to heavily tax a caravan carrying the infirm? Or demand we take part in their petty wars and rivalries? I bet there's at least one canny mind among the grey beards as well, that will help us negotiate at some point or otherwise aid us. With that many years of experience along, there's bound to be.

Besides, go big or go home. :yarr:

3. N Naomi thinks she'll only need 15. This gives her that and a buffer for when we inevitably take longer.

4. R Cash Advance = GOOD

5. U + Y, but the little girl doesn't have to help pay for a donkey for the dog's bones.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 23, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. Ea

2. F

3. N

4. R

I'd really like to take all those people with us but quite frankly it is more important to me that Danal is back as soon as possible because of Ruth.

e: Actually I feel it's pretty irresponsible to even go to Baitel now. That's what I get for not voting on the previous vote I guess.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jester Mcgee posted:

Not bad. Why can't we swing that drat club?

Why can't the Hulk lift Thor's hammer?

There is clearly more to the club than just weight. It has some kind of presence, we can't use it as a weapon because it doesn't think we've proven ourselves yet. When we are worthy according to the club itself we'll find ourselves able to swing it one handed. It will seriously gently caress poo poo up too, we'll be taking giants down in one hit.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Cornuto posted:

5. U

No to the dog bones, but console the girl. I think we need to draw the line at pets.

A paradise without pets isn't a paradise at all. Dogs are better people than we are.:/

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Did i vote right?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Nolaterif posted:

A paradise without pets isn't a paradise at all. Dogs are better people than we are.:/

It just seems like our caravan is turning into an 'if you give a mouse a cookie' situation. We're going to be dragging half the drat city with us at this point, and it'd be good to call a cut-off at some point.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Cornuto posted:

It just seems like our caravan is turning into an 'if you give a mouse a cookie' situation. We're going to be dragging half the drat city with us at this point, and it'd be good to call a cut-off at some point.

Why you gotta rain on the El train? Everyone who wants to come along and praise El is welcome to do so! El will provide for anything we might need and when we get to his house we will raise up such a righteous noise that no one will question Zepath or our devotion to the King of the World!

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

jazzyhattrick posted:

Why can't the Hulk lift Thor's hammer?

There is clearly more to the club than just weight. It has some kind of presence, we can't use it as a weapon because it doesn't think we've proven ourselves yet. When we are worthy according to the club itself we'll find ourselves able to swing it one handed. It will seriously gently caress poo poo up too, we'll be taking giants down in one hit.

This could be true, too, but keep in mind that even as insanely strong as we are, we aren't equal to the least of Zepath's Mighty Men yet. We can lift it now, and even swing it, just not nearly well enough to be combat effective - it'd be like a normal man fighting with a twenty-pound sledgehammer.

I think we'll be able to lift it when we're Barkof-strong.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This is literally a once in a lifetime trip, lets go balls to the wall on this thing.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Question for Dio. Is Gamal coming with us? I know he's not a regular member of the Balls, what with not being super into monster hunting, but he's a good fighter and could come in useful along the way. Besides, there's almost certainly going to be plenty of awesome art in Baitel for him to be inspired by, maybe he'd enjoy the trip.

You asked him. He told you he would be coming.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
5. W Y

WHOSOEVER WISHES TO ATTEMPT THIS HOLY PILGRIMAGE TO THE HOUSE OF EL, WE SAY: LET HIM GO UP!

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

UppaTree posted:

This could be true, too, but keep in mind that even as insanely strong as we are, we aren't equal to the least of Zepath's Mighty Men yet. We can lift it now, and even swing it, just not nearly well enough to be combat effective - it'd be like a normal man fighting with a twenty-pound sledgehammer.

I think we'll be able to lift it when we're Barkof-strong.

I don't think it can just be mundane weight. Because we could lift it at all when we were younger and only benefited from the strength our muscles give us, now that we could easily deadlift a Toyota Tundra we should be able to throw that thing around like a twig if weight was all there was to it.

Diog - Can you let me know if I am vastly overestimating our strength? Maybe I am misunderstanding the idea of 8 times what our muscles would normally provide?

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2014

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think it might've been answered before but how high are doorways in Zepath/other cities?

Also 8 men can lift a LOT of weight. I would think that we'd be able to lift a full tree log. I guess its hard to imagine a club that we can't weild. Must be crazy dense.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
V Sorry, we've got too much stuff as it is unless we make the old men carry a skeleton in a basket on their back, and the young balls and pilgrims carry the old in baskets in THEIR backs. Hmm, I think I just solved our logistics problem.

Y SNARLS HIMSELF SHALL CARRY THE BONES AND WE SHALL MOURN AT THE VERY HOUSE OF EL IN HONOUR OF MAX :black101: :sympathy:

Pro Bono of course.

Also YES to lanky coconut plans.

Regarding Ruth, at five years old she should be able to handle Danal's absence, though it will be heartbreaking. Both of my children cried tears of ultimate sorrow when they realised that I was LEAVING THEM FOREVER in the morning to go to work, but they got over it as they aged.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I bet after mastering plenty of different exercises for Ish (holding our breath, soup straining, broom sweeping, weed pulling, baby sitting) finally he will one day tell us he believes we have learned something - by staying calm and rational and limiting ourselves, we have learned how to bear a heavy burden - we are now ready to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.

Suddenly, the club will weigh nothing.

Then, that's when we should throw it in the river and eat everyone.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hmm. I have a suggestion. To save time and keep things safe we should travel ahead of the caravan by maybe a few hours. Oh and to appear extra pious we should carry all of the bones ourselves.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

Althair posted:

1. C

2. I

3. O

4. R

We have faced demons and monsters, we will not balk in the face of tricky logistics! The young and the old, the hale and the cripple, any pious soul who wishes to go up to the House of El in Baitel shall travel under the protection of Enkidel, son of Tudiya king in Zepath, of the House of Zepa, of the Blood of Labaras! Any who wish it, let him come! For EL turns away no-one and neither will we! ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Yup. Going with this plan.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Maybe when we stop having such blasphemous thoughts of eating rivers and throwing old men the club won't be so weighted down by our sin in the eyes of El.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe when we stop having such blasphemous thoughts of eating rivers and throwing old men the club won't be so weighted down by our sin in the eyes of El.

It would be really funny if this was Ishamal's way of determining whether we've purged our demonic desires or not.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I vote for Plan Lanky Coconut Tree in its entirety.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

1. D. gently caress off if you didn't do a proper manhood trial like us or our main bro Danal.
2. H. Mercy is never misplaced, blah blah. Basically this is the absolutely best thing we could do for someone from Zepath in their whole life. And the young guys, we can do them a kindness in the rest of their lives, these old men will receive this kindness as the absolute last thing they receive.
3. O.
4. R

Also the list of stuff to do before we go.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Imperialist Dog posted:

It would be really funny if this was Ishamal's way of determining whether we've purged our demonic desires or not.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't need a club to tell that. I'm pretty sure he can hear us halfway across Zepath screaming bloody murder about chewing our wife's face off every time we have to make a decision.

"Hmm do I want dates or porridge for breakfasKILL AND EAT THEM ALL OH GOD HUNGRY FEED ME SEYMOUR START WITH SNARLS " like a beacon.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We went from measuring you in listed measurements in terms of "strength of men" and shifted to listing a flat out multiplier.

This may have been an oversight I need to reconcile tonight. You cannot bench press 7,000 pounds.

Despite a change in labeling, on the back end, your strength was being calculated in terms of reasonably fit normal men. When we last compared you to a minotaur for example, we said you were stronger than some, who have the strength of roughly five to sevenish men on average.

It is likely more accurate to say that you have the strength of 8 reasonably fit adult men, not that you have the strength of eight almost nine foot tall Enkidels, which would be a whole lot more.

You are VERY strong but not benching Buicks.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Arkanomen posted:

I agree. Discussing the devourment of old men without also considering proper tenderization and seasoning techniques is the height of blasphemy. Get it together, Team Ashera, or you won't get a chapter in next year's cook book (We're thinking of going with Recipes of Ur: Rocks, Rocs, & Human Hearts this time. Tasty Pebbles and You didn't sell great last season for some weird reason.). :chef:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Diogines posted:

You asked him. He told you he would be coming.

Excellent!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I think I missed the answer to this one, Ishamal is going to watch out for our family while we're away, right?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

You are VERY strong but not benching Buicks.

Well we COULD if you let us metagame to design and build Buicks to bench :colbert:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Althair posted:

1. C

2. I

3. O

4. R

We have faced demons and monsters, we will not balk in the face of tricky logistics! The young and the old, the hale and the cripple, any pious soul who wishes to go up to the House of El in Baitel shall travel under the protection of Enkidel, son of Tudiya king in Zepath, of the House of Zepa, of the Blood of Labaras! Any who wish it, let him come! For EL turns away no-one and neither will we! ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Enkidel and friends can just carry the cripples the entire way there. Let's go all out on this and show up with the most ridiculous caravan possible.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

"Hey guys did you hear the tale of Enkidel of Zepath.

No what happened?

Guy tried to take all the bones, old people, young people, everything of Zepath, to Baitel.

Then the demons under Zepath rose up and ate the city.

RIP in piss"

Then Enki went home and learned awesome blood magic from his fishdad.

Also, take everyone to Baitel. Kidnap someone at random who doesn't even want to go and take them too.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

FoxTerrier posted:

You're both wrong. Max was a shiba inu. And technically his name was Maximiliano, as befit a King.

Here's to all deceased childhood pets named Max. :smith::respek::smith:

Max was great. A friendly and smart tuxedo cat who was actually older than me by a year or two, which blew my young mind at the time. Thank you for reminding me of him. :unsmith:

Oh, right, we're voting on something.

edit: Forgot this:

John_A_Tallon posted:

Let's ask Lefkandi if he has any particular items he'd like us to take to Baitel to demonstrate his talent, and to give as gifts and such along the way. Even if it's just a symbolic amount of pots and wine jugs, the fine work would surely help remind people that even in the frontier we're pretty civilized.

Let's ask Gaddiel if he thinks hoofrot will be an issue for the minotaur, given its living conditions for the next few months.

Let's ask Lullaya if he wants to come with us. Even if we've got bad blood, we should bury the hatchet and cooperate as peers.

Let's ask Gareb if he wants to come too, since he's a pretty cool dude.

Let's talk to Tudiya and Ishamal together about Sushem being alive, in private. The description from Danal, and the testimony from Bagar are important. Even if Danal did not recognize the significance, we have, and we should bring it up.

I also vote for all of this.

edit2: I looked for pictures of grizzly bears, Diog. I found this:

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 23, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is NOT closed but if anyone can count, the odds of an update in six or seven hours are high. Any volunteers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1D
2I
4R
5U Y Za