Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Fifty Three posted:

I don't think my brain is properly appreciating the scale of that thing.

Same, what is the diameter of the piece being worked? I get that it's massive as a motherfucker, but knowing the size would help.

e: is it more than a meter in diameter? Holy poo poo, please don't say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The chuck itself is 1600mm so yeah that workpiece is a big fuckin' piece of metal. Taking .750 cuts with a lathe is no mean feat either, those chips must come off the workpiece practically molten. Unless he's talking .750mm which is somewhat less impressive :v:

Mother of god that must have shaken the whole building when it came unglued.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It says it's capable of holding up to 1600mm, and the chunk of metal looks like it might be taking up around half of the turntable.. So maybe about a meter across? Give or take.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
Oh gently caress I read that 1600mm as 160.0mm. Joining the :wtc: crew then, thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

jesus christ :stonk:

I never want to be in a room with that much rotational energy storage. Ever.

At my former university, the physics lab had some sort of flywheel device blow up thanks to a hairline crack in the rotor. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the rotor was about the size of a beer keg and it spun well over 100,000 RPM. It let go while they were still spinning it up, so it hadn't reached maximum energy yet.

The 250-pound steel "containment" cover of the machine was launched through the ceiling of the lab into the classroom above, and they later found shrapnel from the incident in a parking lot more than two hundred feet away.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Noeland posted:

Not too horrible, but this is what a decade of cavitation looks like.

Pump came out of a media filter for a cooling water sump (think of it as a really big pool filter).
What was the reason for service or replacement? Was it working just fine and it was decided to remove it for maintenance and saw the damage?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

What was the reason for service or replacement? Was it working just fine and it was decided to remove it for maintenance and saw the damage?

Nah, the pump shat itself and we found the pitting after we pulled it off.

Short story a littler longer: We replaced a check valve on the suction side of the pump, the spring on the old one corroded away letting the system to drain back into the sump and lose its prime when it was shut down. With the new check valve in place, the suction head on the pump was just too much for that impeller and the pump cavitated for several hours as soon as the water got warm enough. Cavitate a pump long enough and the motor will burn out. So now because we fixed a 100 dollar valve we have to replace a whole $8000 pump.

This kind of thing has been par for the course lately due to our current team of operators/maintenance personnel actually doing their jobs. Its amazing how long some of the equipment around here has lasted with the kind of neglect that it has seen.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Noeland posted:

So now because we fixed a 100 dollar valve we have to replace a whole $8000 pump.

This kind of thing has been par for the course lately due to our current team of operators/maintenance personnel actually doing their jobs. Its amazing how long some of the equipment around here has lasted with the kind of neglect that it has seen.

I loving love this kind of bullshit. We've recently had new owners come in, and start replacing stuff that's been running past it's prime for years, if not decades. We'll replace one thing, it will break two other things, and they'll get pissy. "Why did you do that? It was working fine before!"

No! It was not working fine before! It was two coughs and an ant-fart from bringing down loving everything, and the failure that did occur was an order of magnitude less catastrophic than what would have happened if we didn't do poo poo at all! :argh:

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
Nothing to major but my st185 celica gt4. Destroyed its rear diff recently. It's had a. Fir bit of abuse over the years. Engine making 300kw at all 4.

Sad part was. Was just driving when this happened. No shenanigans involved

Looks like the center cracked and allowed all the spider gears to strip themselves
Got a st 205 diff to replace it
I popped the cover off the old one so heres some blurry carnage shots

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

jesus christ :stonk:

I never want to be in a room with that much rotational energy storage. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736O4Hz4Nk4&t=165s

edit: here's nine minutes of a man with a soothing voice talking about rotors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MK8Euz3HQ

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 22, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

I did not catch the 7,000 pounds bit the first time around. :stonklol:

Kind of makes me sad the gyrobus never caught on.

A 6600lb flywheel spinning at 3000 RPM, the outer edge of which is traveling at 560mph driving down the road in a vehicle loaded with fleshy humans. What could be more exciting than that?

Even better, if the flywheel is mounted horizontally, the bus could do a wheelie if the flywheel was at full speed and you crested a hill!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Powershift posted:

Even better, if the flywheel is mounted horizontally, the bus could do a wheelie if the flywheel was at full speed and you crested a hill!

Very stable ride! *nodnod*

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

edit: here's nine minutes of a man with a soothing voice talking about rotors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MK8Euz3HQ

That is one soothing-rear end voice

edit: Thanks, Bill O' Connor

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 22, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

At my former university, the physics lab had some sort of flywheel device blow up thanks to a hairline crack in the rotor. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the rotor was about the size of a beer keg and it spun well over 100,000 RPM. It let go while they were still spinning it up, so it hadn't reached maximum energy yet.

The 250-pound steel "containment" cover of the machine was launched through the ceiling of the lab into the classroom above, and they later found shrapnel from the incident in a parking lot more than two hundred feet away.

A few years ago at Texas A&M one of the big liquid nitrogen dewars let go because at some point along the line some genius had replaced the relief valve and the rupture disk with pipe plugs.

I like that it stripped the tile off the floor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Liquid nitrogen actually cleans linoleum really nicely, you just splash it down and it sorta flash-freeze-flushes everything off. We used to use that to clean the kitchen floor in my college apartment.

It doesn't take go-kart burnout marks up though, because they melt into the floor wax.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh are we talking nerd failures now? Here's one from the Tevatron (the retired particle accelerator at Fermilab):

That piece of metal with a hole in it is tungsten, which melts at 3400 degrees celsius. The hole was made by the device holding the tungsten being unintentionally inserted into the beam.

Layman's backstory is there was movable sensors installed on the accelerator for collecting data. These sensors needed to be super close to the beamline, within millimeters. So they had a lot of precision hardware to position close to the beam and get their data, but the engineers didn't pay as close attention to the retraction process. If the device fully retracted and hit a limit switch, it would enter a failure mode and fully extend.. right into the beam line. In this case they believe it failed because a LVDT gave a bad reading and multiple retract commands were sent to the device, causing it to hit the limit switch and trigger a full extension.

The fix? Along with circuitry repairs to address the failure condition, they installed this high tech solution:

A hard stop to prevent it from extending into the beamline again. :v:

The whole incident is known as the "16 house quench." A quench is when the temperature of superconducting magnets raises to the point they're not superconductive anymore, and safety systems engage to dump the massive amounts of current before the sudden resistance causes the magnet to burn itself up.. this has to happen in under a second. A "house" is a structure on the ring that contains the cryogenic cooling equipment to cool the magnets, each house cools 40 magnets and there's 24 of these houses. So quenching "16 houses" means well over half the four mile ring had to shut down in fractions of a second. I've never heard exactly how much the failure ended up costing but the rumor has always been it was in the millions.

I wasn't on site when it happened but apparently it made a lovely boom when the liquid helium suddenly warmed up and sought a path to atmosphere.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm sure everyone here knows about 24 Hours of Lemons. I guess this could be both a mechanical triumph and failure at the same time.

http://jalopnik.com/5524236/never-give-up-one-cylinder-fiero-one-speed-thunderbird

Included is the description of an Iron Duke-powered Fiero, a 1.25 liter 2-cylinder engine, and a direct drive one speed transmission.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Amykinz posted:

I'm sure everyone here knows about 24 Hours of Lemons. I guess this could be both a mechanical triumph and failure at the same time.

http://jalopnik.com/5524236/never-give-up-one-cylinder-fiero-one-speed-thunderbird

Included is the description of an Iron Duke-powered Fiero, a 1.25 liter 2-cylinder engine, and a direct drive one speed transmission.

Those were some absolutely heroic bodge-jobs :patriot:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Those were some absolutely heroic bodge-jobs :patriot:

My favorite is how the plugs from the wasted cylinders kept igniting the crankcase gasses and blowing the oil pan gasket, they didn't want to just remove them and change the resistive load to the coil, so they ran them to the trunk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This was in the lemons race a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxqq22sD67A

I think it did like 4 laps in two days.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
So I had this terrible dream last night, where I went to check the oil on my BMW and everything I touched became a BL product. The rust...the endless rust...

What does it mean?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Vindolanda posted:

So I had this terrible dream last night, where I went to check the oil on my BMW and everything I touched became a BL product. The rust...the endless rust...

What does it mean?

You must acquire the finest piece of BL machinery listed on Craigslist at the moment and slay the demons of rust and shoddy build quality. It's destiny

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

That lathe hold down failure video made me cringe. I'd be cleaning my shorts for a week if I was near that bastard letting go. Even a fairly standard-sized lathe has a massive amount of rotational energy, and fixture failures are always terrifying.

A lot of older engine lathes use a large threaded end on the spindle to hold the chuck on the machine. More modern lathes tend to use something like a cam-lock system, but the older style is just hilariously dangerous waiting to happen. When the machine runs a 12" diameter steel chuck up to speed and the operator suddenly drops it into reverse, you know what happens? The chuck keeps wanting to spin the original direction and unthreads. And if it comes off the machine, it's not going to stop if it runs over your foot, the tool cart, and probably the wall. There's a lot of machninist horror stories of this kind of thing happening.

Hell, at the college I went to an experienced instructor admitted he almost did this one day. He was in the shop trying to bang out a personal project before his classes, and was using one of the older thread-on Leblond lathes. He dumped the machine into reverse from full forward, and said he noticed "something odd" and shut the machine down. When he looked he said the chuck had unthreaded itself about an inch off the spindle.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Amykinz posted:

I am sitting in the pub giggling like a maniac. This is beautiful.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kastein posted:

It doesn't take go-kart burnout marks up though, because they melt into the floor wax.

This is now the baseline measurement for any cleaning products I may need in the future. "Yes, it seems really great, but will it...?"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think my Big end bearings have seen better days...

Still made 38psi of oil pressure hot! :D

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
1hdt?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

1HD-FTE... I cooked it :(

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
Ooh. Bummer. I didn't think they suffered the big end problem or is there more to the story.

I still want one to shove in my 80. 1hz is making GBS threads me these days.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Realistically they don't- the HD-T shat big ends with alarming recurrence, the HD-FT used to lose valve retainers if you didn't follow the adjustment procedure EXACTLY to the letter but the FTE motor had them all ironed out.

What caused that on mine was dunking it into a bog hole, clogging the radiator solid and then having to spend several hours in a mild overheat driving to the nearest water supply to get enough water to wash the radiator out enough to stop an overheat. I absolutely cooked the poo poo out of the oil - Killed the turbo bearings too.

I think I'll be doing a light overhaul on this engine around the 250K mark, mostly to replace bearings since it's a girdle crank you can't just easily drop the main bearings caps and swap them out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Acid Reflux posted:

This is now the baseline measurement for any cleaning products I may need in the future. "Yes, it seems really great, but will it...?"

If you ever need to get tire marks from winter tires out of cork kitchen flooring, use orange cleaner AND generic magic erasers in combination.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jeherrin posted:

I am sitting in the pub giggling like a maniac. This is beautiful.
Some great stuff in there.

quote:

Every time you remove a piston, you need some way of blocking the flow of oil to that journal on the crank. Strips from a pop can and a hose clamp around the journal works fine.

When the engine is distributorless, you can't just leave the spark plugs unattached, lest you burn up the coil packs, so we had the plugs still in the head firing into empty cylinders. The second time we oiled the track, we figured it out. We were igniting crackcase gasses, and blowing out the oil pan gasket. Welding some spare plugs into the trunk we could keep the proper resistive load to the coil without having an ignition source in the crankcase.

When we first fired it up on 2 cylinders, the throttle body was still trying to feed enough fuel for 4 cylinders, and we were running RICH. Cracking open the pressure regulator, and cutting a coil out of the spring seemed to drop the fuel pressure sufficiently, and the black smoke settled down, at the expense of proper fuel atomization.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Some great stuff in there.
Back in his teenage days, my dad bought an old Ford Pop to play with. It ran like a bag of spanners - removing the head revealed that there was no piston or rod in #3 cylinder, crankcase separation being achieved by a lump of softwood hammered into the cavity.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

This is one of the more impressive punctures i've seen!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy poo poo! That's a railroad spike, isn't it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bet that made a noise.

Shortly following by a slightly wetter noise in the driver's underpants.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sure is a railroad spike. Into a Toyota prado tyre at around 100kph on ball bearing iron stone gravel by the looks of that photo.

I'd love to see the face of the tyre bloke when you rolled in with that!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't think I'd even bother except as a "hey will ya look at that!" show and tell type thing... nothing salvageable in that picture!

Did the end of the spike end up behind the brake rotor and hold the whole wheel captive, or have a party with the caliper, brake line, and suspension/steering parts? Because it looks like it could have, and that's the only way I can think of that things could be worse. So it probably happened.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who was it here that did that to an L322 Range Rover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Noeland posted:

Not too horrible, but this is what a decade of cavitation looks like.

Pump came out of a media filter for a cooling water sump (think of it as a really big pool filter).

Discharge cavitation. Someone needs to increase their filter PM's.