Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kangra posted:

Onan gets just as baldy mangled

Considering how old the Bible is and how often it has been translated, revised, interpreted and otherwise altered it's a miracle that any of the content makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Neruz posted:

Considering how old the Bible is and how often it has been translated, revised, interpreted and otherwise altered it's a miracle that any of the content makes sense.
No, see, the King James (or New International, depending on who you talk to) version of the Bible is God's own word. There are no flaws in the translation whatsoever, which was delivered by divine providence.

In fact, what translation? The Bible was originally written in English, wasn't it? God's own language! (ok I'm getting a little strawmanny here but people actually believe that first part)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JT Jag posted:

No, see, the King James (or New International, depending on who you talk to) version of the Bible is God's own word. There are no flaws in the translation whatsoever, which was delivered by divine providence.

In fact, what translation? The Bible was originally written in English, wasn't it? God's own language! (ok I'm getting a little strawmanny here but people actually believe that first part)

I like to respond to people saying the first part that by that logic that would make either King James himself or the 47 scholars (or possibly all of them) Prophets who heard the word of God. That usually shuts them up.

E: This is also a fun image

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Whenever I see that poster or something like it I remember a sermon from waaay so many years ago where my parents' pastor was very excited about "the red thread of the blood" or something, about how if you go through the Bible and ignore certain details like every contradiction on that poster, there's all these other details that match up exactly and all point to Jesus. And I'm just kind of, "yes, that was more or less the point of the Canonization, I'm almost certain."

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Neruz posted:

I like to respond to people saying the first part that by that logic that would make either King James himself or the 47 scholars (or possibly all of them) Prophets who heard the word of God. That usually shuts them up.

I find it amazing that, nevermind the contradictions between verses within the same chapter, we have Genesis and bloody Revelations in contradiction :psyduck:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Neruz posted:

I would much rather see this done with the original Greek or Hebrew versions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

IronSaber posted:

I would much rather see this done with the original Greek or Hebrew versions.

I don't know of any pithy contradictions in the Greek or Hebrew versions of the Bible posters but I'm sure that a Bible scholar somewhere has compiled a list. I understand that the Hebrew versions at least are open to a lot of interpretation depending on how you read it or something to that effect.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

If this video doesn't speak to why the combat in this game is fun as heck and not just a dumb generic shooter, then shut up you're blind. Granted I've still primarily only really used about 3 or 4 vigors but I promise there's plenty of room to use more in later videos. (There's a whole DLC based on wave based combat!)

Sorry I didn't update sooner. My sleep routine had crumbled to the point where I had about ~30 minutes of time to use my mic each night before everyone in the house went to bed so I couldn't get it done. Things are cool now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Such a fun chapter. Aww man, Sundowner, I'm gettin antsy.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I love how Elizabeth opened a portal to Kansas to get rid of those doctors at the beginning.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

I love how Elizabeth opened a portal to Kansas to get rid of those doctors at the beginning.

Reverse-OZ-maneuver!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did the animators get lazy with Elizabeth's head and eye movements during the short dialog in the elevator? She looked like a spooky marionette or something.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Speedball posted:

Reverse-OZ-maneuver!

There are a few parallels that can be made with that story, yes? Columbia is our Emerald City; Comstock is our Wizard, with his flair for the dramatic (remember the big booming facecam?), AND our Wicked Witch, with his everything else; Lutece is our Glinda; and Elizabeth would be our Dorothy, and while she has only the one companion, that companion is by different turns brainless, heartless, and cowardly. :v:

(This may have all been said before, but I'm bored, so I felt it bore repeating.)

But yes, the combat is ridiculously fun, and Sundowner does do a good job showing it off. A good antidote to the ducking and shooting of still far too many games.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Wow, that's a pretty intense set of sequences. I really should've picked this up when it was available for free on PSPlus.

Just a quick comment on the video itself though; I don't know if I just hadn't noticed before but there were some quick cuts that made things a tiny bit confusing for a second. Nothing really detracting honestly; you've done a really great job on keeping the quality high.

Also I hope this isn't considered a 'spoiler' but it just occurred to me who the people in the boat during the opening sequence were. Whoa.

Edit: The patriot you fight at 27 minutes with the Lincoln mask makes it look like it has Tingle's face. Extra disturbing!

Melondog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 23, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Holy poo poo those patriots at the end were the best.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I think the King Lear reference is just a "My brother sees the situation as simple, like a blank page, but I see it as much more complex and intricate, like a play by The Bard."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'd say its more than that given that the core themes of King Lear are the passing of status onto a child, parenthood, madness, egotism, hypocrisy, human nature and progression.

"It's just a loving curtain, Elizabeth." :v:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Just a quick comment on the video itself though; I don't know if I just hadn't noticed before but there were some quick cuts that made things a tiny bit confusing for a second. Nothing really detracting honestly; you've done a really great job on keeping the quality high.

I've been trying to incorporate cuts now and then that cut out sometimes up to a minute of me just puttering around doing nothing important. I usually try and do it in such a way that when I look somewhere, it cuts roughly back to there after I come back from doing menial exploration (as in, me looking for ammo or something - nothing worth seeing). If it's distracting or breaking the flow of things I'll try cut down on it or find a better way to edit around it.

This update would have been like 35 minutes long if I kept all of the times where I literally just scan entire rooms/areas for things only to end up finding nothing more than a half eaten cake and a pack of smokes in a trash can.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

resurgam40 posted:

There are a few parallels that can be made with that story, yes? Columbia is our Emerald City; Comstock is our Wizard, with his flair for the dramatic (remember the big booming facecam?), AND our Wicked Witch, with his everything else; Lutece is our Glinda; and Elizabeth would be our Dorothy, and while she has only the one companion, that companion is by different turns brainless, heartless, and cowardly. :v:

ynohtna posted:

"It's just a loving curtain, Elizabeth." :v:

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I've been trying to incorporate cuts now and then that cut out sometimes up to a minute of me just puttering around doing nothing important. I usually try and do it in such a way that when I look somewhere, it cuts roughly back to there after I come back from doing menial exploration (as in, me looking for ammo or something - nothing worth seeing). If it's distracting or breaking the flow of things I'll try cut down on it or find a better way to edit around it.

This update would have been like 35 minutes long if I kept all of the times where I literally just scan entire rooms/areas for things only to end up finding nothing more than a half eaten cake and a pack of smokes in a trash can.

I totally understand; nobody likes to play a bunch of backtracking let alone watch it. If it wouldn't be too much of a pain, could you try just a quick fade out/in maybe?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I am kind of curuious about just what the military assets of Columbia were before the Dewitt and Elizabeth went threw them... Also the Vox I guess.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The more this is getting played through, the more I'm glad I didn;t get the game; I think I would be too annoyed to enjoy it properly - e.g. why on earth would the Vox Pop. give THEIR motorised patriots devil horns? I can understand the shoddy Lincoln mask, but keeping the horns aesthetic from the Brotherhood of the Crow painting is just... I dunno, stupid. Good LP, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Samovar posted:

The more this is getting played through, the more I'm glad I didn;t get the game; I think I would be too annoyed to enjoy it properly - e.g. why on earth would the Vox Pop. give THEIR motorised patriots devil horns? I can understand the shoddy Lincoln mask, but keeping the horns aesthetic from the Brotherhood of the Crow painting is just... I dunno, stupid. Good LP, though.

They might have just stolen a bunch of Lincoln masks that happened to have those and not cared enough to take them off.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given the other comments Rosalind makes, it seems like the King Lear reference is a question of determinism vs. free will. Her brother thinks that the events they don't want to happen can be wiped clean, while she is on the side of fate.

Gloucester posted:

O you mighty gods!
This world I do renounce, and, in your sights,
Shake patiently my great affliction off:
If I could bear it longer, and not fall
To quarrel with your great opposeless wills,
My snuff and loathed part of nature should
Burn itself out. If Edgar live, O, bless him!
Now, fellow, fare thee well.

And, only slightly relevant to that matter, but somehow fitting to the game, there's this:

King Lear posted:

Now, all the plagues that in the pendulous air
Hang fated o'er men's faults light on thy daughters!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samovar posted:

I figured it was an irony thing. Using what the enemy thinks Lincoln is against them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Feinne posted:

They might have just stolen a bunch of Lincoln masks that happened to have those and not cared enough to take them off.

That, or they wanted their patriots to embodies revolution and reversal of mores? "Oh, you consider us agents of Satan? Well we'll show you demons then!".

e:f;b

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

So here's a question: Exactly where and when are we at this point?

To recap for my own sanity here, we start in universe 1 at time 1 at the lighthouse. Booker goes to Columbia, all hell breaks loose at the raffle, etc etc, rescue Elizabeth, steal the lady comstock airship, she brains him for lying about Paris.

Booker wakes up in what I assume is still U1T1 (plus a couple hours) and the Vox have taken over the airship, demanding Booker get them guns. Booker and Elizabeth reunite, go to find Chen, Chen's dead, we move to Universe 2.

U2, Chen's alive but brain-wonky, tools missing, search for tools. Tools found in impound, we move to Universe 3.

U3: Is this the same time? Is it some distance in the future? Did U3's Booker get there earlier than U1's booker to help spark the Vox revolution? There must be some kind of time discrepancy if U3's Booker is already dead and gone and a martyr. This universe also begs the question: Is there only one unique Elizabeth throughout spacetime, even though there seem to be many Bookers, many Comstocks, many everyone else?

So we get to Comstock House, still in U3, T(?). We know Elizabeth isn't biologically related to anyone we've met, since Comstock is sterile, and that her appearance is related to the Luteces messing about with tears. Anyway Songbird takes Elizabeth, Booker gives chase, and poof, snow. It's suggested that 6 months have passed, but do we know that for certain? Given the huge Liz shrine, her evangelical speeches, and just how friggin' weird the climb through Comstock House is, it seems like this point is well farther into the future. How far, though? When we find Liz again, Booker takes her hand and she shows him the attack on NY, but we get that flash that indicates we've gone through another tear. I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, but it'd be nice to know.

Anyway, Old Liz sends Booker 'back', but now I've really lost track. Are we 'back' in U3 or another universe? We're clearly in a universe where the Vox revolution is in full swing, given their possession of weaponry and airships. We're also clearly at a critical point in time, where Comstock is about to 'break' Liz, but there's no clear indication of when this is aside from what's visible of the city being in flames.

Also does any of this even matter or am I just waaay overthinking it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kangra posted:

Given the other comments Rosalind makes, it seems like the King Lear reference is a question of determinism vs. free will. Her brother thinks that the events they don't want to happen can be wiped clean, while she is on the side of fate.

Yeah, that's definitely true. One of her audio logs was called 'What's Done is Done'. It's interesting that Robert and Rosalind differ so markedly in philosophy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

IntelligentCalcium posted:

So here's a question: Exactly where and when are we at this point?

To recap for my own sanity here, we start in universe 1 at time 1 at the lighthouse. Booker goes to Columbia, all hell breaks loose at the raffle, etc etc, rescue Elizabeth, steal the lady comstock airship, she brains him for lying about Paris.

Booker wakes up in what I assume is still U1T1 (plus a couple hours) and the Vox have taken over the airship, demanding Booker get them guns. Booker and Elizabeth reunite, go to find Chen, Chen's dead, we move to Universe 2.

U2, Chen's alive but brain-wonky, tools missing, search for tools. Tools found in impound, we move to Universe 3.

U3: Is this the same time? Is it some distance in the future? Did U3's Booker get there earlier than U1's booker to help spark the Vox revolution? There must be some kind of time discrepancy if U3's Booker is already dead and gone and a martyr. This universe also begs the question: Is there only one unique Elizabeth throughout spacetime, even though there seem to be many Bookers, many Comstocks, many everyone else?

So we get to Comstock House, still in U3, T(?). We know Elizabeth isn't biologically related to anyone we've met, since Comstock is sterile, and that her appearance is related to the Luteces messing about with tears. Anyway Songbird takes Elizabeth, Booker gives chase, and poof, snow. It's suggested that 6 months have passed, but do we know that for certain? Given the huge Liz shrine, her evangelical speeches, and just how friggin' weird the climb through Comstock House is, it seems like this point is well farther into the future. How far, though? When we find Liz again, Booker takes her hand and she shows him the attack on NY, but we get that flash that indicates we've gone through another tear. I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, but it'd be nice to know.

Anyway, Old Liz sends Booker 'back', but now I've really lost track. Are we 'back' in U3 or another universe? We're clearly in a universe where the Vox revolution is in full swing, given their possession of weaponry and airships. We're also clearly at a critical point in time, where Comstock is about to 'break' Liz, but there's no clear indication of when this is aside from what's visible of the city being in flames.

Also does any of this even matter or am I just waaay overthinking it?

Presumably she sends you back to U3, since you initially went through a tear (to 1983 psycho dimension) in front of Comstock House after Elizabeth was taken to Comstock by Songbird. After meeting old Elizabeth you are plopped back in one of the rooms of Comstock House and come upon Elizabeth being siphoned by Comstock and the labrats.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm curious about where those Patriot Pods went after Booker fired them down. Is there some unfortunate town somewhere in Maine with a platoon of clockwork Benjamins Franklin slaughtering everyone?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Columbia is still above the seas, so no one got killed by robopropaganda.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
All of this wholesale slaughter and constant shooting I personally find cheapens the storyline and characterization immensely.

"I'm afraid of you" - a thing Booker says to the character who has so far killed 2 of her captors total, as he prepares to jump atop airships to brutally murder hundreds more men than he already has.

Also, since you were wondering about the timeline when you rescue Elizabeth: you were getting into Comstock House in July, then jumped into old Elizabeth universe, then presumably back to one where she is still saveable and find a log from the doctor dated December 1912. I don't remember if the game takes place in 1911 o 1912, but I'd wager either a year and 5 months or 5 months.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm curious about where those Patriot Pods went after Booker fired them down. Is there some unfortunate town somewhere in Maine with a platoon of clockwork Benjamins Franklin slaughtering everyone?

Charles Lock's Clockwork Comstocks!
Coming soon to a town near you.

mortons stork posted:

All of this wholesale slaughter and constant shooting I personally find cheapens the storyline and characterization immensely.

"I'm afraid of you" - a thing Booker says to the character who has so far killed 2 of her captors total, as he prepares to jump atop airships to brutally murder hundreds more men than he already has.

Well now that she's prepared to really get serious with her tear powers, yes.
She opened a giant portal to a tornado in Kansas, at will, twice.

What she can do is on a whole different scale than what Booker could ever hope to achieve. And more importantly he doesn't understand why and how she has those powers, and how far they can go. people tend to fear the unknown.

Even Booker, electric death god he is, is right to fear her.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 24, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

mortons stork posted:

To be fair, Booker hasn't faced anyone who can tear open an absolutely huge tear to Kansas while a tornado draws ever closer. I think it's implied he's afraid of what she's possibly capable of, not what she provably has done.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Iceclaw posted:

Columbia is still above the seas, so no one got killed by robopropaganda.

Well, that's unfortunate. Would have made a hell of a DLC campaign.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

mortons stork posted:

In a way it kind of helps it. Here you have a guy who's run roughshod over half the population of this floating country, who has stared down squad after squad of trained and untrained soldiers, and who was willing to throw himself against Robobird as many times as it took (even if unsuccessfully, and offscreen). And it's Elizabeth he's actually afraid of

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Sundowner posted:

To be fair, Booker hasn't faced anyone who can tear open an absolutely huge tear to Kansas while a tornado draws ever closer. I think it's implied he's afraid of what she's possibly capable of, not what she provably has done.

Yeah but the thing is, she's the one with restraint in the duo. He has spent the past however many days charging forward into shootout after shootout and being the only one alive at the end of each. After that show of superhuman resilience and bloodlust, I wouldn't think he'd be more than mildly concerned about potentially apocalypse-ushering powers. And again, you can expect Elizabeth will exercise restraint in turning to doomsday powers, while he's been zapping around in the air, electrocuting people, followed by setting on fire and shooting those who didn't instantly die almost whimsically.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mortons stork posted:

Yeah but the thing is, she's the one with restraint in the duo. He has spent the past however many days charging forward into shootout after shootout and being the only one alive at the end of each. After that show of superhuman resilience and bloodlust, I wouldn't think he'd be more than mildly concerned about potentially apocalypse-ushering powers. And again, you can expect Elizabeth will exercise restraint in turning to doomsday powers, while he's been zapping around in the air, electrocuting people, followed by setting on fire and shooting those who didn't instantly die almost whimsically.

As you say, she's the one who's been showing restraint. Now she seems to have decided to stop.

Sionja
Sep 3, 2011
My only real issue with the "I'm afraid of you" exchange is where it comes in the narrative. It feels awkward and out of place. I like the exchange and I like the implications, but I feel like it would've been more powerful (and made more sense) if it came directly after Elizabeth actually did something big and scary with her reality-warping powers, not ten minutes later. Where it is now, it just kind of feels like the developers were like, "Hey, this would be super great for a trailer. Wait, poo poo, where do we put it?"

Booker being afraid of what she can do, though, that's completely valid, especially considering what he just went through getting to her 1983 future self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I think it might have fit better when she ripped Toto's hole open in Comstock's house. Instead of Booker being all "yeah you ain't doing poo poo because I'm doing it for you," they could have had that exchange.

• Locked thread