Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Right, but without sleeves you're just screwed. It's a super corner case, I realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

So what happens if you acquire two Palianos or Aether Searchers in the same draft? Noting their colors or associated card is easy during the draft, but without marking them how would you know which is which in your deck? I guess you could roll a die or something to randomly determine which one it is when you play it?

You can use any mana color named with either or search for either card. The card says "When AEther Searcher enters the battlefield, you may search your hand and/or library for a card with a name noted as you drafted cards named AEther Searcher." Paliano has similar language.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

So what happens if you acquire two Palianos or Aether Searchers in the same draft? Noting their colors or associated card is easy during the draft, but without marking them how would you know which is which in your deck? I guess you could roll a die or something to randomly determine which one it is when you play it?

You can name multiple cards, and then get the choice of which one to get when you cast each Aether Searcher. With Paliano, you'll end up with two lands that each tap for one of four colours. The key here is the phrasing "chosen as you drafted cards named..."

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I should have read more closely. That's pretty sweet then.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Bugsy posted:

I like quickling, and after not just glossing over it like I did last night it reminds me a lot more of Stonecloaker or Whitemane Lion than say Faerie Impostor.

Yeah obviously the Flash is a big deal but this card is no better than Stonecloaker and likely a little worse.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah, Quickling is a utility spell with the bonus of a flying bear attached to it. I guess you could go T1 Siren, T2 Quickling, and then have the Siren ready to bestow for the late game, but that's Xmas Land territory.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You will not be surprised to see that Wasteland has gone over $100 online following the reveal that its not in Vintage Masters.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

You will not be surprised to see that Wasteland has gone over $100 online following the reveal that its not in Vintage Masters.

Wow, it jumped $30 in a day. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Tempest/Wasteland#online

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ultimately, I think Wizards will just add more some other way, through the Legacy precons or through adding more Tempest drafting.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

Thanks Wizards, I'll stick with Manaless Dredge or ANT as a budget deck for now. :smith:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

neetengie posted:

Thanks Wizards, I'll stick with Manaless Dredge or ANT as a budget deck for now. :smith:

You say that like they're going to be high up for long. This all in reaction to the fact that people are trying to ditch them before a flood of new ones come in.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ramos posted:

You say that like they're going to be high up for long. This all in reaction to the fact that people are trying to ditch them before a flood of new ones come in.
As far as I know, they'll stick up to that price for a while, maybe more if Wizards doesn't release anything that includes Wasteland.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

Yeah, Quickling is a utility spell with the bonus of a flying bear attached to it. I guess you could go T1 Siren, T2 Quickling, and then have the Siren ready to bestow for the late game, but that's Xmas Land territory.

Yeah Quickling is a 2 of in a blue deck. Though it kills all of MoW's tokens, it also saves him from removal which would ALSO kill all his tokens.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys, I just realized something.

They're doing something they've never done before.

They've never broken the Reserve List.

:getin:

I wish.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Ramos posted:

No, it's a reaction to the fact that more people will have access to vintage/legacy staples so the price is adjusted to meet a probably higher demand since Wasteland won't be in Vintage Masters.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Count Bleck posted:

I wish.

I know there was a selection system that made sense at the time, but now just reading through the list it all seems so arbitrary.

Reprint Didgeridoo. Nothing else.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah Quickling is a 2 of in a blue deck. Though it kills all of MoW's tokens, it also saves him from removal which would ALSO kill all his tokens.

How did you come up with 2? I can come up with good reasons for a card to be a 0 (cut), 1(silver bullet), 3(wishboard), and 4(obv)-of without tuning and testing but 2 is a really aggressive number to just assert.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I know there was a selection system that made sense at the time, but now just reading through the list it all seems so arbitrary.

Reprint Didgeridoo. Nothing else.

Is there like some kind of thing in the books that makes a minotaur-summoning didgeridoo make sense or...?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

change my name posted:

Is there like some kind of thing in the books that makes a minotaur-summoning didgeridoo make sense or...?

Homelands is a hell of a drug.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I wish.

Finally, the Farmstead reprint that we all wanted.

Joke aside, I doubt too many people would have an issue with a tweaked Reserved List, to allow for some less collectible cards to be reprinted or, at least, functionally reprinted. I'm not talking dual lands, or Power, but stuff like Roc of Kher Ridges, Mold Demon and such. I don't really see a 7-mana 6/6 with a downside tearing up formats any time soon for example. But that would kinda defeat the whole point of the List, so it's a whole :can:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

change my name posted:

Digeridoos are awesome. Minotaurs are awesome. Minotaurs like digeridoos.

(No I have no idea why that card does that thing.)

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

change my name posted:

Supposedly it was originally going to summon ferrets (which makes just as much sense) and minotaurs would come out of Dark Maze, but then I guess R&D had a rough weekend and now we have minotaurs who really dig world fusion.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

How did you come up with 2? I can come up with good reasons for a card to be a 0 (cut), 1(silver bullet), 3(wishboard), and 4(obv)-of without tuning and testing but 2 is a really aggressive number to just assert.

It was a complete shot in the dark. I'm not 100% up to date on standard but I'm guess monoblue already has a strong 2 drop slot? Frostburn weird or something?

Either it was just a shot in the dark, because I don't really think 4 copies would be super great but :shrug:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Supposedly it was originally going to summon ferrets (which makes just as much sense) and minotaurs would come out of Dark Maze, but then I guess R&D had a rough weekend and now we have minotaurs who really dig world fusion.

Remember, Homelands didn't have "R&D" as much as it had "two guys from the Wizards of the Coast customer service team who decided to make a Magic set."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The more I think about it, the less concerned I am by Quickling. U may get to dodge some removal, but if you can keep the deck clear it's dead. And it's not fantastic with Master of Waves unless you don't mind parting with any tokens you have.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder what sweeper effects will look like once RTR rotates out. How many Standard environments haven't had a Wrath at 4 mana?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what sweeper effects will look like once RTR rotates out. How many Standard environments haven't had a Wrath at 4 mana?

You're assuming there isn't one in either M15 or Khans. Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Day of Judgment pop back up in either.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Attorney at Funk posted:

Lor-Alara had its best wrath at 3WW (hallowed burial), IIRC.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Random future prediction: The best thing going for Quickling is the fact that it's an evasive 2/2 for two that can be spat out after a wrath, provided you either have a second Quickling or a critter that leaves things behind as it dies.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Scars + Innistrad didn't have a 4-mana Wrath. It was all Delver all the time. I forgot to check the core set!
VVV Right you are, Ken!

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 23, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

revengeanceful posted:

Scars + Innistrad didn't have a 4-mana Wrath. It was all Delver all the time.

Day of Judgment was in M12.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Goblin Rabblemaster 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior (R)
Other Goblin creatures you control attack each turn if able.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
Whenever Goblin Rabblemaster attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking Goblin.
2/2

This dude from the IGN video seems like a nice card for modern gobbos. it is another 3 drop which I don't know if the deck needs, but it does combo well with shared animosity.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

This dude from the IGN video seems like a nice card for modern gobbos. it is another 3 drop which I don't know if the deck needs, but it does combo well with shared animosity.

It's like, babby goblin piledriver.

So yes, really good, I might want to start picking up pieces of Modern Goblins now.

Is Aether Vial still a thing that runs?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yeah, that dude immediately caught my eye. It's a shittier Goblin Piledriver and a better Goblin Assault - not exactly high praise. I'm no Modern Goblins expert, though.

Couldn't we have just had, like:

quote:

Goblin Titan - 2R
ETB, make a goblin.
When attacks, make a goblin that is attacking.
2/2

Tribal micro-titans would be loving rad.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

It's like, babby goblin piledriver.

So yes, really good, I might want to start picking up pieces of Modern Goblins now.

Is Aether Vial still a thing that runs?

Babby Piledrive plus Goblin Assault on a stick.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

Tribal micro-titans would be loving rad.
next card design challenge theme found

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zoness posted:

Lor-Alara had its best wrath at 3WW (hallowed burial), IIRC.

Martial Coup and Fight to the Death are both pseudo-wrath effects; Coup is more expensive if it's wrathing but left behind 5 P/T worth of dudes (at least) while Fight was cheaper and instant speed but highly conditional.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, I was thinking more in terms of transform cards if I win this round.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Martial Coup and Fight to the Death are both pseudo-wrath effects; Coup is more expensive if it's wrathing but left behind 5 P/T worth of dudes (at least) while Fight was cheaper and instant speed but highly conditional.

Martial Coup costing 7 was basically unusable as a wrath since you would be casting Cruel Ultimatum at 7 mana in 5CC. Fight to the Death was garbage.

Martial Coup saw a lot more use post Lor-Zen rotation along with Day of Judgment because you had cards like Everflowing Chalice to set it up. The control deck of the format essentially had no use for Martial Coup because it was winning with its own creatures anyway.

My point was that the format had its best wrath at 5 CMC and some clasm effects at 3CMC in Volcanic Fallout and Firespout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Oh man this thread has been around since October?!?!?!

• Locked thread