Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Fedule posted:

I remember someone posted a while back about the exact requirements for getting Wakka's reels to show up as Blitz prizes. Anyone got that handy?

This guide covers everything involving everyones weapons and overdrives

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/18751

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It only took 10 minutes to get the 0.0.0 Chocobo time. Thanks for being my shield against the birds, other lady.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One hundred and three bolts of lightning dodged.

gently caress me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even though I missed the sale I went ahead and grabbed Lightning Returns.

Holy poo poo, it is so much more fun than XIII and XIII-2 combined. I can only assume the generally "meh" reviews were based on bias towards the previous games or something, because it's just a slick, polished experience with one of the most fun battle systems in the series and the best Pretty Princess Dress Up mode of any game ever.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

precision posted:

Even though I missed the sale I went ahead and grabbed Lightning Returns.

Holy poo poo, it is so much more fun than XIII and XIII-2 combined. I can only assume the generally "meh" reviews were based on bias towards the previous games or something, because it's just a slick, polished experience with one of the most fun battle systems in the series and the best Pretty Princess Dress Up mode of any game ever.

Basically, what happened with the reviews was, Game Journalism finally caught up with the notion that FFXIII was maybe not brilliant and the credible thing to do was to hate on everything to do with it. So then the game came out and they did what Game Journalists do.

Anyway, an FFX question: Does the Sigil turn up as a League or Tournament prize? And if it's a league, is there any particularly non-terrible way to cycle the prizes that doesn't involve resetting the data on a team that just signed Nimrook? (Though I guess it wouldn't be so bad to just roll over everyone with the Lv1 Superstar Squad).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sigil is a League prize. And you could save just after finishing a league before checking the prizes again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

precision posted:

the best Pretty Princess Dress Up mode of any game ever.

I'm gonna fight you in the parking lot after school

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The 5 chest Chocobo race trophy is really harder than it should be because of those terrible tank controls for moving/camera angle switching.

Also, maybe it's because I've played it before but FFX seems easier than I remembered. I just took out Seymour at Mt. Gagazet in.. 10 turns?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Harlock posted:

The 5 chest Chocobo race trophy is really harder than it should be because of those terrible tank controls for moving/camera angle switching.

The Trophy is actually bugged. You can get it if you get 5 chests but hit flags. I recommend just doing this because seriously the Three Stars arent worth it. You can get those very easily elsewhere and may never actually need to craft a One MP Cost weapon in the first place.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Apparently FF14 is half off as part of Amazon's big rear end sale taking place:
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Collectors-Download/dp/B00CX9L30W

Decided to pick it up and give it a try for a month.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Still playing it constantly after maybe five months. Great game, and I recommend it if you have any interest in the genre. Also check out the MMO HMO thread to make sure you get on the same server as all the other goons and for advice on starting out.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Playing through The After Years on Complete Collection, and I have a few questions.

After I clear a challenge dungeon, do I need to finish the chapter I'm on again before I can save it to carry my loot and levels to the final chapters, or am I okay with just saving it after getting out of the dungeon?

If I want to run a challenge dungeon more than once, do all the chests reset, or just the one at the end?

What are the level caps for the individual chapters?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII, and I think I'm somewhere near the end of the trash mountain (Chapter 5?). The game just split my party up into 2 person groups. Am I correct, based on glancing at a walkthrough, that its going to be many many hours before I get 3 person parties again? The earlier section where you're stuck with Sazh and Vanille felt really tedious, so I'll probably stop playing if you're stuck with the same two member parties until halfway through.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII, and I think I'm somewhere near the end of the trash mountain (Chapter 5?). The game just split my party up into 2 person groups. Am I correct, based on glancing at a walkthrough, that its going to be many many hours before I get 3 person parties again? The earlier section where you're stuck with Sazh and Vanille felt really tedious, so I'll probably stop playing if you're stuck with the same two member parties until halfway through.

Chapters 5 and 7 are Lightning/Hope, Chapters 6 and 8 are Sazh/Vanille, and Chapter 9 finally gives you back a full party. I wouldn't blame you for putting it down, because Chapter 4 and 5 are by far the worst part of the entire game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Before I go completely apeshit with CardMod in FFVIII, can I get the cards back from the CC Group on disc 4 or is that just a load?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Artix posted:

Chapters 5 and 7 are Lightning/Hope, Chapters 6 and 8 are Sazh/Vanille, and Chapter 9 finally gives you back a full party. I wouldn't blame you for putting it down, because Chapter 4 and 5 are by far the worst part of the entire game.

No no no, the worst part comes after you get a full party again.

gently caress the Ark, is what I'm getting at.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only dabbled with the PSP version, but I assume the same stuff applies to it as the Wii version, besides the linear progression.

W.T. Fits posted:

After I clear a challenge dungeon, do I need to finish the chapter I'm on again before I can save it to carry my loot and levels to the final chapters, or am I okay with just saving it after getting out of the dungeon?

You don't have to rebeat the chapter. I think the only exception is if you get all the parts for Calca and Brina for Rydia's chapter, since you'll have to beat that again to make that part stick.

quote:

If I want to run a challenge dungeon more than once, do all the chests reset, or just the one at the end?

It may depend on the dungeon. Generally, you'll only get one of "unique" items, but some dungeons may reset the chests if there's consumables or whatever in them.

quote:

What are the level caps for the individual chapters?

It's 40 for everything up to Kain's, which is either 40 or 50. Lunar and The Gathering are both 50, I think, and after that there's no level cap.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TARDISman posted:

Before I go completely apeshit with CardMod in FFVIII, can I get the cards back from the CC Group on disc 4 or is that just a load?
It's true. I may or may not have been grinding stat ups.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think the story gets better once you're past chapter V, although I'm sure there's a multitude of opinions on that.

To be honest, I enjoyed most of the game, warts and all, so take that for whatever you want.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's true. I may or may not have been grinding stat ups.

Outstanding, thanks!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only card you might not be able to get back is PuPu, because that doesn't count as a rare card despite having the most involved requirements to get. Also it's only Level 5. :v:

Not like that one even matters because there is zero reason to ever mod PuPu's card anyway, but whatever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dragonatrix posted:

The only card you might not be able to get back is PuPu, because that doesn't count as a rare card despite having the most involved requirements to get. Also it's only Level 5. :v:

Not like that one even matters because there is zero reason to ever mod PuPu's card anyway, but whatever.

You might really want that extra Devour command.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahahaaaaaa. :shepicide: I removed all not-max nodes from the sphere grid, replaced them with optimal ones and completed it with every character. Even the Luck spheres. Yes. I killed Earth Eater that often. I've probably performed Wakka's Attack Reel somewhere close to a thousand times by now. (Speaking of that, I spent 90% of all my blitzball games firmly lodged behind the goal. Turns out the game bugs out as well when you go to the very top and the very bottom of the field, not just behind the goal...)

And yet, I still couldn't be assed to do the lightning dodging.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
'Nother quick FFX question: what's the point at which the incidental battle dialog stops playing forever? Is it when you go to have the airship fight with Sin, or is it when you actually go to the last dungeon?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fedule posted:

'Nother quick FFX question: what's the point at which the incidental battle dialog stops playing forever? Is it when you go to have the airship fight with Sin, or is it when you actually go to the last dungeon?

When you actually enter Sin.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

When you actually enter Sin.

which is a shame, because you need to go there to complete the monster arena sidequest

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

By that time you're probably tired of the incidental dialogue.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Of course, what I forgot is that you automatically enter after fighting the motherfucker. Oh well. I'll live.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Look, Yuna, I just want you to cast protect. I don't need a soliloquy on the nature of the spell.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harlock posted:

Look, Yuna, I just want you to cast protect. I don't need a soliloquy on the nature of the spell.

Steelguard! Steelguard! HEY GUYS DID YOU SEE THAT STEELGUARD?!?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

In addition to the PuPu note, some of the rare cards (Rinoa and the five cards created from the QoC quest) can only be re-obtained from the left Diamond girl on disc 4, and the others (including the right Diamond girl) won't use them. Left Diamond has the added benefit of using rare cards more regularly than everyone else anyway (I'll spare you the mechanic-chat of why that is).

She uses Trabia rules, so you may want to clean those up to your liking, and make sure Trabia does not have the Queen of Cards forcing a Direct trade rule on the region. (Easiest way to do that is simply to not have the Queen of Cards in Trabia as of the end of disc 3.)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Concerning FFX is the best time to do the sidequests when I first get access to anywhere on the airship or should I post game?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

the_american_dream posted:

Concerning FFX is the best time to do the sidequests when I first get access to anywhere on the airship or should I post game?

This depends. Doing the sidequests will make the final boss extremely trivial, especially if you actually grind up to challenge the Dark Aeons. The grind is obscene and the requirements to get the super weapons are obnoxious, but they are super useful.

I'd reccomend getting all the hidden Aeons, getting Auron's ultimate weapon and, if you like Blitzball, getting Wakka's. Tidus's ultimate weapon is very annoying to power up, but it's doable, and all the rest suck so don't bother. The super bosses are boring too, since the only real strategy is to just make Wakka strong enough to Overdrive them to death.

I literally beat the last boss in one hit by the time I finished the sidequests. It was weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the_american_dream posted:

Almost literally every bit of optional content is intended to be post-game, it's all exponentially harder than the final dungeon/bosses.

edit: Lightning Returns question: I know I'm not supposed to be worrying about running out of time, but are there any (or many) quests I'll get locked out of by letting time progress?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks to you both :)

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

precision posted:

Almost literally every bit of optional content is intended to be post-game, it's all exponentially harder than the final dungeon/bosses.

edit: Lightning Returns question: I know I'm not supposed to be worrying about running out of time, but are there any (or many) quests I'll get locked out of by letting time progress?

I don't think there are any quests that are locked out by simply letting time progress, but the main quests do change slightly after certain days (bosses are replaced with stronger versions), and there are a few quests (1-2) that have to be done directly after finishing a main quest: I can think of one that needs to be finished before midnight of the day you finish Luxerion's main quest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Systematic System posted:

I don't think there are any quests that are locked out by simply letting time progress, but the main quests do change slightly after certain days (bosses are replaced with stronger versions), and there are a few quests (1-2) that have to be done directly after finishing a main quest: I can think of one that needs to be finished before midnight of the day you finish Luxerion's main quest.

Are there? I don't remember any like that, although there are a bunch that only become available after progressing an area's main quest enough.

There's one quest in Yusnaan with some fortune tellers. That one requires you to actually visit them again the next day (keeping in mind that they operate based on ACTUAL days, not the 6am-6am range the rest of the game works on. So if you talk to them at 1 AM on "Day 2", you need to visit them around noon on "Day 4", not Day 3).

There are also a couple quests that require you to visit some people once a day for several days, so if you start those too late, you may run out of days before you can complete them. These include "Tears of an Angel" and "Buried Passion," both in Luxerion. Buried Passion in particular is required for another quest (To Save the Sinless) that'll get you the Dark Knight garb.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Are there? I don't remember any like that, although there are a bunch that only become available after progressing an area's main quest enough.

There's one quest in Yusnaan with some fortune tellers. That one requires you to actually visit them again the next day (keeping in mind that they operate based on ACTUAL days, not the 6am-6am range the rest of the game works on. So if you talk to them at 1 AM on "Day 2", you need to visit them around noon on "Day 4", not Day 3).

There are also a couple quests that require you to visit some people once a day for several days, so if you start those too late, you may run out of days before you can complete them. These include "Tears of an Angel" and "Buried Passion," both in Luxerion. Buried Passion in particular is required for another quest (To Save the Sinless) that'll get you the Dark Knight garb.

"The Girl Who Cried Wolf" is failed if you don't complete it within a day of finishing Luxerion's main quest (presumably the woman in the quest is killed if you don't finish it by then)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'll run out of questions soon, I promise!

Is there anywhere that lists the stats you can get from the nodes already on the sphere grid? (IE, without using spheres that add nodes). I don't want to be suboptimal :ohdear:

Related: are there suggestions for how many of what nodes to add in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Systematic System posted:

"The Girl Who Cried Wolf" is failed if you don't complete it within a day of finishing Luxerion's main quest (presumably the woman in the quest is killed if you don't finish it by then)

Ah, close. It's available starting the day after you finish the Luxerion main quest, and you have to complete it within 24 hours of starting it. You do not, however, have to complete it within a day of finishing the Luxerion main quest.