Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Sloth posted:

Labour's social engineering and mass immigration programme to redefine us as a "truly multicultural people" hasn't worked completely. And the fallout is glorious. :getin:

The last labour government took part in an escapade that has killed hundreds of thousands of muslims, it is their fault we've lurched to the right because they forgot what Marx taught them about capitalist imperialist wars being used to keep the working people of the world divided and fighting against each other.

We were a multi-cultural country before 1997. Way before then.

Multi-culturalism isn't the problem, poo poo like bombing and shooting the gently caress out of Iraq, supporting fascists in the Ukraine, spying, bombing. Basically all that poo poo is the problem. Not multi-cultrualism.

We forgot that an act of aggressive war is the supreme crime from which all others follow. Great Britain has committed the same crimes that saw the Nazis hang and now we're surprised that we have a load of fascists on our own.

To me the interesting thing about the rise of fascism and racism and all that poo poo is not that it was inherently German or Italian or Spanish but that it could happen anywhere. Germany was a smart, well educated industrialised nation. If it could happen there it could happen anywhere.

And lo and behold we fight a war for our 'religion' our 'culture' are 'freedoms' against muslims, I mean 'radical extremists' and it's no loving surprise that the UKIPS and the BNPS and the Golden DAwns or whatever the gently caress are on the march.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Spangly A posted:

As brought up, we're having an identity crisis. And it's pretty clear that the response of "we never had an identity" isn't helping, it's just allowed UKIP to provoke a swing to the right without us in the left being able to do anything about it.

That's the thing though, 'we' aren't having an identity crisis because the British identity is a completely fluid and subjective thing. I'm sure not having one because of other Brits who have different physical characteristics from me (I have blue eyes, I'm a minority in my own country), or because there are people from other countries here too, or because Woolworths isn't around anymore. Other people apparently are.

The question is more about why some people have such a narrow, conservative and fixed idea of what the country should be like, and why the fact that its changing (as all things do) is such a threat to them. And it's complicated - one of the big parts on that Farage interview for me was the sheer hypocrisy of it all. How does someone who 'works' in Europe, a place of many spoken languages, and whose own wife and kids are German-speaking immigrants, feel uncomfortable hearing people speaking foreign languages in Britain?

I'm tempted to think it's sheer political rhetoric, but I know lots of people with the same attitudes. "I'm married to an immigrant and some of my family are recent EU immigrants, but there are too many immigrants and they should all go home." There's alienation just because as people get older all their familiar references change, and it seems like everything's moving along without them and everything is being replaced, and their opinions aren't relevant anymore. I'm not sure exactly what you can do about that to keep them engaged with society.

And the other part is the fact that things are poo poo, people are having a hard time, and certain groups are easily demonised and made into the Other. So you have things like scrounger rhetoric ("we didn't do this in my day, we got on our bikes and found work!"), and of course immigrants. Paint them as a problem and then point to the signs of their existence, like some creeping influence changing the country for the worse. It's a political tool to manipulate people, and whether or not they're preying on an existing sense of unease and fear, it's a systemic problem that needs to be addressed. And it will take a lot of unwinding

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

Lets focus on helping ease their fears. England has always been a land of immigrants, and that is our heritage. That is what being British has meant through history. If we can make people understand that their kids will see everything they grow up with as being their home, even if it's different to what we remember, and that they will be as British as we have ever been, then perhaps we can fight off the arseholes using peoples concerns about the legacy of their home to gently caress over the less fortunate.

It's an extremely tumblr idea but I'm pretty sure Doctor Who would be a perfect starting point for this kind of angle :cripes:

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Oh gods, please tell me they're not basing it on the KW Jeter books :saddowns:

Pointing out racism is itself racism! :eng99:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPBn5SLcxE
:allears:

I know this was a few pages back, but can someone please explain the difference between a slut and a slag?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

winegums posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but can someone please explain the difference between a slut and a slag?

He is using the old fashioned meaning of slut, which is a woman who is lazy/bad at housework.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

winegums posted:

That's like trying to explain the difference between a oval office and a twat, there is none.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Careful now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's an extremely tumblr idea but I'm pretty sure Doctor Who would be a perfect starting point for this kind of angle :cripes:

Doctor Who.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So that rumour about EU voters being turned away turned out to be true and a bit worse than I originally thought.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ll-9427571.html

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
One thing I keep seeing from David Cameron today is his statement of 'The Conservative party does not do pact or deals!'
What the hell did he do with the Lib Dems in the last general election to get his the role of Prime Minister then?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

Doctor Who.

Stupid times call for stupid measures :suicide:

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

One thing I keep seeing from David Cameron today is his statement of 'The Conservative party does not do pact or deals!'
What the hell did he do with the Lib Dems in the last general election to get his the role of Prime Minister then?

Not to stick up for Cameron, but I thought the "pacts" being talked about were pre-election agreements rather than official post-election coalition agreements. A pre-election pact is pretty much admitting that you can't win on your own... Not something that a party leader wants to say, especially to the Tories who have a history of stabbing each other in the back.

Also a pact with UKIP would just push more votes the kippers way, and alienate the more centrist Tories who may defect .

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Hey, at least he's being honest this time. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Sloth posted:

Yeah, all those white North Western Europeans. Most 'mongrel' nation in Europe. :rolleyes: I find the people that spout this shite have an even odder concept of racial purity than good old NSDAP Nordicists. Like, way to deny an ethnic group because a few foreigners mingled shitlord.

Right yes the Picts, Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Vikings, Normans, they're all basically the same. And then that whole Empire business where we conquered a quarter of the planet and the greatest trading and naval power on Earth, all the people, goods, and cultural elements we imported from everywhere from Jamaica to India, our constant interactions with every other power on Earth, that never affected Britishness either. Then we've been involved in more than one major international alliance which has forged enduring links with other countries. Oh and the modern globalized era where we're all absorbing culture from across the globe and interacting with our colonial progeny in a rich and complex back-and-forth exchange of ideas, media, and people, nope, just pure British here.

It's not a few loving foreigners mingling, shitlord. It's the entire basis of a British ethnicity being a laughable notion because Britain hasn't been free of massive waves of foreign genetic input for about seven thousand years.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Right yes the Picts, Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Vikings, Normans, they're all basically the same. And then that whole Empire business where we conquered a quarter of the planet and the greatest trading and naval power on Earth, all the people, goods, and cultural elements we imported from everywhere from Jamaica to India, our constant interactions with every other power on Earth, that never affected Britishness either. Then we've been involved in more than one major international alliance which has forged enduring links with other countries. Oh and the modern globalized era where we're all absorbing culture from across the globe and interacting with our colonial progeny in a rich and complex back-and-forth exchange of ideas, media, and people, nope, just pure British here.

It's not a few loving foreigners mingling, shitlord. It's the entire basis of a British ethnicity being a laughable notion because Britain hasn't been free of massive waves of foreign genetic input for about seven thousand years.

I'm first generation, mixed race, son of an immigrant, swarthy foreign.... And I'm teaching your white children....ah ha ha ha ha. Now, where do I claim these, how you say, bennyfitz?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heh.

"Prime Minister Balls".

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He let Clegg sit at the big boys table as long as he didnt say too much and did what he was told.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

HortonNash posted:

Also a pact with UKIP would just push more votes the kippers way, and alienate the more centrist Tories who may defect .

Polling* indicates that an official pact between UKIP and the Tories would see both parties lose support. It is a terrible idea for both of them which is why I dearly hope they do it.

*The polling is sporadic, a little out of date at this point, didn't cover all possible options when it comes to "pacts", and I would expect to see some more up-to-date stuff shortly.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Ha, a Bangladeshi mob has formed outside of the Tower Hamlets count and the police are guarding it, not allowing Labour activists to leave. :getin:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why is that good?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is that good?

Because he's a sad inadequate racist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A Sloth posted:

Ha, a Bangladeshi mob has formed outside of the Tower Hamlets count and the police are guarding it, not allowing Labour activists to leave. :getin:

"A bangladeshi mob" == a couple of local activists making noise about the fact Lutfur looks like he's going to lose.

But no, this is definitely the beginning of the Sharia Revolution As The Prophet Fartage Has Foretold

(I only just realised how easy Farage is typoed to Fartage and I think I'm going to keep on with that)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serotonin posted:

Because he's a sad inadequate racist.

Inadequate? Man that aint nice, don't knock him on the only thing he's actually good at

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"A bangladeshi mob" == a couple of local activists making noise about the fact Lutfur looks like he's going to lose.

But no, this is definitely the beginning of the Sharia Revolution As The Prophet Fartage Has Foretold

(I only just realised how easy Farage is typoed to Fartage and I think I'm going to keep on with that)

The Guardian posted:

In Tower Hamlets, Rajeev Syal adds that more than 150 police officers have been counted outside the building by political activists, along side more than 300 young, mainly Bangladeshi men.

Some Labour activists were warned that they should not leave the building because their safety could not be guaranteed.

The Labour MP Sadiq Khan was among those refused exit because of security concerns, according to Ted Jeory of the Sunday and Daily Express.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

So they've just followed the bullshit put out by a couple of local Tory stooges on Twitter hook, line and sinker. I've literally just come back from the Troxy and there's literally maybe 30 or so lads a bit overexcited by the rumour that Lutfur won the first-choice votes and confused by the fact he didn't win as a result.

There's more violent and dangerous things happening outside every pub in London right now, but noooo, this time it's brown people so it's loving Armageddon.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

marktheando posted:

He is using the old fashioned meaning of slut, which is a woman who is lazy/bad at housework.

quote:

They that wash on Monday
Have all the week to dry;
They that wash on Tuesday
Are not so much awry;
They that wash on Wednesday
Are not so much to blame;
They that wash on Thursday
Wash for shame;
They that wash on Friday
Wash in need;
And they that wash on Saturday,
Oh! they are sluts indeed.
We have this poem posted up on a 50s/60s era clothes wringer in the museum where I volunteer. Talking about it with older visitors, a lot of them agree with the connotations of doing laundry on particular days, without being surprised by the last line.

I think it's entirely plausible that Bloom was simply describing women as being bad at housework (which is a lovely thing to say anyway), without being aware that it could be understood in a different sense now. He's basically a massive loving anachronism.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So they've just followed the bullshit put out by a couple of local Tory stooges on Twitter hook, line and sinker. I've literally just come back from the Troxy and there's literally maybe 30 or so lads a bit overexcited by the rumour that Lutfur won the first-choice votes and confused by the fact he didn't win as a result.

There's more violent and dangerous things happening outside every pub in London right now, but noooo, this time it's brown people so it's loving Armageddon.

30 is a little small looking at the pictures. And the police felt the need to barricade the doors and not allow Labour activists to leave. Are Labour activists Tories? (Well I guess sort of...)

Another thing to hold in mind is the police presence today at Tower Hamlets polling stations due to high risk of fraud. Along with Birmingham, Oldham and Bradford. A little looking into of voter intimidation by the coppers there to.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
It's great to see those British people in Tower Hamlets so enthused about politics and democracy. Unlike 65% of the electorate.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Sorry for a random interjection but I have literally no facial recognition skills whatsoever, I know from the context that this is a UK politician but could someone identify them for me?

It's to make a sassy comeback on Facebook so I'd rather not get the politician wrong but prosopagnosia is tripping me up here.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
This is from like ten pages ago but does gimp not also mean limp or difficulty walking in British English? I (as an AMERICAN) work with several people from the UK and also commonwealth countries and don't want to accidentally offend anyone or come off as a homophobe or something by calling my leg gimpy if I hurt it and have trouble walking or something. :ohdear:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Vitamin P posted:

Sorry for a random interjection but I have literally no facial recognition skills whatsoever, I know from the context that this is a UK politician but could someone identify them for me?

It's to make a sassy comeback on Facebook so I'd rather not get the politician wrong but prosopagnosia is tripping me up here.

It's Nick Clegg isn't it? :clegg:

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vitamin P posted:

That's Dianne Abbott. Good luck in owning your dad on facebook.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Aliginge posted:

I thought it looked too young for him and the nose was the wrong shape but I'll go with Cleggsy, thanks.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Aliginge posted:

Trouble is, people actually like Tyrion.

Reek would be more fitting.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

HortonNash posted:

Trouble is, people actually like Tyrion.

Reek would be more fitting.

I did say a while back that Clegg was the Reek of British politics...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Sloth posted:

30 is a little small looking at the pictures. And the police felt the need to barricade the doors and not allow Labour activists to leave. Are Labour activists Tories? (Well I guess sort of...)

Another thing to hold in mind is the police presence today at Tower Hamlets polling stations due to high risk of fraud. Along with Birmingham, Oldham and Bradford. A little looking into of voter intimidation by the coppers there to.

Lol literally all that happened was the crowd that had gathered for Lutfur's victory party thought they could go in because the count was up, gathered around the doors, then the police asked them to move back out of the way so people could get in and out. That's it. Now unless you've got another narrative - and one with pretty big loving proof if you're going to go throwing around words like "Bangladeshi mob" - then shut the gently caress up with your thrice-recycled LOOK AT THE SCARY WOGS bullshit.

I'm not for one minute denying that there are problems with voter fraud in TH, by the way, and the Police have made multiple arrests over it. However - outside of the more histrionic members of all sides in the area - nobody actually believes they're going to make much of a difference to the outcome this time. And nobody (again, outside of those who like to stir up a bit of racial hatred) is talking about voter intimidation at the polling places in TH. The only people who feel intimidated are the Tory voters I've mentioned before too scared to set foot on a council estate to cast their votes, lest they see someone on less than a million quid a year.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol literally all that happened was the crowd that had gathered for Lutfur's victory party thought they could go in because the count was up, gathered around the doors, then the police asked them to move back out of the way so people could get in and out. That's it. Now unless you've got another narrative - and one with pretty big loving proof if you're going to go throwing around words like "Bangladeshi mob" - then shut the gently caress up with your thrice-recycled LOOK AT THE SCARY WOGS bullshit.

How many excuses are you going to make before you accept the truth that RaHoWa is nigh? :jihad:

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Please move out the way....

Please...

All thirty of you. PS those inside don't say anything that may make the peaceful eager voters go mad.

e: Nothing will happen though because their politician won.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 24, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Luftur Rahman is confirmed to have won the Tower Hamlets mayoral election, with 37,395 votes to John Biggs's (Labour) 34,143 in the second round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

A Sloth posted:

Please move out the way....

Please...

All thirty of you. PS those inside don't say anything that may make the peaceful eager voters go mad.

e: Nothing will happen though because their politician won.

This feels like a magic-eye picture for racists; relax your eyes and hate asians enough and a mob of hundreds of rabid islamic terrorists will materialise out of the blurry photos of policemen's backs and a small crowd milling about.

• Locked thread