Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yikes, sorry, hopefully everything turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Robot posted:

On the one hand I'm excited for the new Initial D movie (trilogy?!) but hoooly crap if you think AE86 prices are stupid now...

On the upside people having to throw a lot of money at the initial investment means they don't end up as total beaters. Not that I ever really saw the draw or attractiveness of that era Corolla anyway beyond it being featured in some insanely unrealistic juvenile anime (same goes for Wangan) that encourages people to do some really dumb poo poo on public roads. Every time I see the local jackass with the adventure time drift charmed 240sx that clearly wouldn't pass state inspection hooning around parking lots and the other guy with the RedSuns sticker I'm reminded of just how impressionable and dumb people can be.

I'm tired of decent Japanese cars from the 90s being totally abused in the name of ~my animes~ basically. :rant:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 22, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

NitroSpazzz posted:

Dangit I want 928 comfort with TDI mpg.

Buy a Panamera Diesel. :kheldragar:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Yesterday was 50 days straight of now beer, fast food, fried food or pop. So I decided to drink more than I have in months. Ended up getting into a huge fight with the girlfriend that I barely remember. I think I had a mild psychotic episode (happened 7 years ago, Dr diagnosed). It was bad but when I woke up today I wasn't sure it had really happened, I thought it had been a dream. Definitely wasn't a dream as I called the friend who kicked me out of his life recently at 1:45am.

So I messaged his wife to send my apologies along and she confides in me that they're fighting all the time and she isn't hopeful for their future. I'd guess this was where things were going for them and figured it was part of why he pushed me out.

Finding out I was right was the worst thing as now I'm even more worried and I'm stuck on the outside unable to help.

All right Rhyno since no one else has responded to this thus far...let me get this straight as it's a bit tough to parse what you wrote.

1) To celebrate 50 days of being on the wagon and eating well, you decided to get shitfaced drunk
2) Due to said drunkenness you had a huge fight with your girlfriend while mostly blacked out
3) During this argument/blackout period, you may have experienced a recurrence of psychosis (bad sign)
4) The next morning you weren't sure if it was all a dream but you confirmed it did happen because you found out you'd called your friend at 1:45am
5) Said friend recently kicked you out of his life for reasons (?)
6) You messaged said friend's wife to apologize for calling him at 1:45am considering he recently kicked you out of his life
7) She confides that she is also having issues with him and that their relationship is not looking hopeful
8) You feel extra lovely because even with this knowledge, you can't intervene because he has cut you out of his life

Is that all correct? Maybe you should stick to the straight and narrow, man. Not drinking not only helps you lose weight, as you've often mentioned, but if drinking is causing nightmarish episodes like I've outlined above, maybe you should try to stay on the wagon.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

The Midniter posted:

Maybe you should stick to the straight and narrow, man.

Or like, not open the flood gates when you do drink. It's not a binary state, there is a nice mid point of only having a beer or two, maybe with some good grub even.

Slavvy posted:

- Wash my car: $40

I make good money and I'd wash a car for that. I even have good kit for it too! Tips are of course accepted and no I won't wear short shorts and let you watch me wash :sparkles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVNDnvnAHs

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Finally caught up with all the tool calibration bullshit that got dumped on me

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So our HHR is at the dealership for two months while they try to sort out the whole ignition cutting off and killing people thing. They gave us a 2013 Impala to drive in the meantime, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not that much better than my '96 Camry :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

leica posted:

They gave us a 2013 Impala to drive in the meantime, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not that much better than my '96 Camry :v:

Literally millions of prospective Impala customers beat you to that revelation

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Went to DMV site to get custom plates, apparently typo'd my card # when paying.

When it errored out, site now says plate is unavailable. Fuuuuuuuuck.

I'm hoping since it was unpaid, it will eventually reset, but it'd be nice if I could find some idea of how long I'm going to be waiting/if I'm totally screwed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

Congrats!

Now cover your own rear end!
That's something that a friend kept telling me when I started at this big corporate place.

Everyone is far too willing to pass the buck. Next time let supervision know that this/anything/whatever was dumped on you asap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Literally millions of prospective Impala customers beat you to that revelation

When my wife said they gave her an Impala I was all :dance: thinking it was the new 2014, then she drove up and I was all :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Negromancer posted:

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......
Dad's trying to convince me to keep it and throw in an electric drivetrain. It already looks like a spaceship so if it sounded like one it would be even better. Problem is if I go electric I'm going to want similar power figures and ~50mi range which is expensive and heavy.

The 1977 320i may get an electric drivetrain since I think the engine is toast or at least in need of a rebuild. Last time we put fluids in it was good for a few days then I came out to a very large puddle :argh:

rscott posted:

drat that was some backlog, well done. Now as mafoose mentioned make sure to cover your rear end. I've found a good paper trail (should be easy with all the calibration records) is worth a lot. The joys of the corporate world.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I consult for a timber baron and found this in his old warehouse. He's on vacation right now but I'm going to see if he'll sell it to me for :10bux:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Extra posted:

On the upside people having to throw a lot of money at the initial investment means they don't end up as total beaters. Not that I ever really saw the draw or attractiveness of that era Corolla anyway beyond it being featured in some insanely unrealistic juvenile anime (same goes for Wangan) that encourages people to do some really dumb poo poo on public roads. Every time I see the local jackass with the adventure time drift charmed 240sx that clearly wouldn't pass state inspection hooning around parking lots and the other guy with the RedSuns sticker I'm reminded of just how impressionable and dumb people can be.

I'm tired of decent Japanese cars from the 90s being totally abused in the name of ~my animes~ basically. :rant:
Wangan Midnight is pretty silly, but Initial D generally does a much better job of technical accuracy than most films and TV do. The mistake is thinking it's about the same thing as twats in battered S-chassis covered in stickers are about (which, as it happens, is usually powersliding, not drifting), and it isn't. While it's effectively a car-based version of the stereotypical "development and growth" plot of any sports or fighting anime, at its core it hinges on the idea that a very good driver in a decent but not amazing car can humble some very fast machinery. And that is a very AI thing.

I do quite fancy importing a Trueno at some point in the near future, and I will indeed more than likely want it as a Fujiwara replica. But in doing so, it would actually be saved from the kind of numpties who actually trash the cars through either neglect or abuse.

Similarly, if I could have an early Mustang fastback, it'd be a Gunsmith Cats lookalike, not a Gone In Sixty Seconds Eleanor replica. (GISS replicas should, of course, be early seventies and yellow).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Midniter posted:

All right Rhyno since no one else has responded to this thus far...let me get this straight as it's a bit tough to parse what you wrote.

1) To celebrate 50 days of being on the wagon and eating well, you decided to get shitfaced drunk
2) Due to said drunkenness you had a huge fight with your girlfriend while mostly blacked out
3) During this argument/blackout period, you may have experienced a recurrence of psychosis (bad sign)
4) The next morning you weren't sure if it was all a dream but you confirmed it did happen because you found out you'd called your friend at 1:45am
5) Said friend recently kicked you out of his life for reasons (?)
6) You messaged said friend's wife to apologize for calling him at 1:45am considering he recently kicked you out of his life
7) She confides that she is also having issues with him and that their relationship is not looking hopeful
8) You feel extra lovely because even with this knowledge, you can't intervene because he has cut you out of his life

Is that all correct? Maybe you should stick to the straight and narrow, man. Not drinking not only helps you lose weight, as you've often mentioned, but if drinking is causing nightmarish episodes like I've outlined above, maybe you should try to stay on the wagon.

You've got it mostly correct. I hadn't quit drinking entirely, but I hadn't had a large amount in that entire time. And we were celebrating the return home of a friend.
2. the fight wasn't due to my being drunk as it turns out, she wants to pair up some our friends on a date and I said I wouldn't help because the female in question is a huge bitch and I hate her which is what lead to the fight.
3. I wasn't blacked out, it just feels like it was all a dream, like a haze was over everything. The last time this happened was 7 years ago
4. dead on
5. friend kicked me out because his life is in a tailspin of suck and he's saying it's my fault. he literally blamed his job loss on me. We've been here before, he always lashes out at someone.
6. He cut me off, she said he was being stupid and continues to communicate with my girlfriend and i.
7. correct. also worth noting this is his second marriage which also ended in a similar way but he has now created this little fantasy where his ex wife left him but in reality he pushed her out.
8. I feel loving horrible because i watched him do this 7 years ago.

Summation, I think it was the massive influx of liqour into my newly healthy body that did it. I realized we did three shots of tequila which would explain the haze over everything. I'm not worried about drunken episodes, just over-doing it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

CharlesM posted:

Yikes, sorry, hopefully everything turns out well.

After talking it over with some friends, I've realized that I shouldn't be involved in this. I feel really awful about his disappearance, but I don't want to be around if they find him. I want him to get into treatment and get better, but I need to keep moving on with my life so I can't be the one helping him.

I can't help feeling like a selfish prick though when I say that I can't be the one to help him. :smith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

This is why I donated my AE86 for free. I'd rather have given it away to someone that would maintain it and keep it nice than some retard kid who'd throw a park bench spoiler on it, cut the springs to 'stance' it, and end up wrapping it around a telephone pole trying to do a ~mad doriftou~ around a downtown boulevard.

The guy I gave it to had just finished building a beautiful BRE replica 510 starting from a completely stripped down bare shell he bought. I did the right thing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

goatse guy posted:

After talking it over with some friends, I've realized that I shouldn't be involved in this. I feel really awful about his disappearance, but I don't want to be around if they find him. I want him to get into treatment and get better, but I need to keep moving on with my life so I can't be the one helping him.

I can't help feeling like a selfish prick though when I say that I can't be the one to help him. :smith:

It happens. You can't save everyone, and sometimes you have to focus on your own poo poo and worry about your own life. Otherwise, you end up spending all your time worrying about helping everyone else and have no time for your own things.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

So our HHR is at the dealership for two months while they try to sort out the whole ignition cutting off and killing people thing. They gave us a 2013 Impala to drive in the meantime, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not that much better than my '96 Camry :v:

I'm kind of tempted to get a loaner from the dealer - they just kind of blew me off when I showed up for my (scheduled) appointment. They said they'd call me in 3-4 weeks when they got parts... and that was 3 1/2 weeks ago.

It's shut off on me a couple of times, but thankfully being a manual, I just had to flick the key back to run.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Oh GM. never change.

seriously. I need more reliable parts for my poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

InitialDave posted:

Wangan Midnight is pretty silly, but Initial D generally does a much better job of technical accuracy than most films and TV do. The mistake is thinking it's about the same thing as twats in battered S-chassis covered in stickers are about (which, as it happens, is usually powersliding, not drifting), and it isn't. While it's effectively a car-based version of the stereotypical "development and growth" plot of any sports or fighting anime, at its core it hinges on the idea that a very good driver in a decent but not amazing car can humble some very fast machinery. And that is a very AI thing.

I do quite fancy importing a Trueno at some point in the near future, and I will indeed more than likely want it as a Fujiwara replica. But in doing so, it would actually be saved from the kind of numpties who actually trash the cars through either neglect or abuse.

Similarly, if I could have an early Mustang fastback, it'd be a Gunsmith Cats lookalike, not a Gone In Sixty Seconds Eleanor replica. (GISS replicas should, of course, be early seventies and yellow).

Yeah, GSC back in my teens convinced me that there is no paint scheme for a GT Mustang that looks better than royal blue with double white racing stripes. I also appreciated that Rally had power steering, modern brakes, and a lighter clutch put on that GT500 to make it more driveable, and spends all of her downtime in the comics bitching about how expensive and annoying it is to get parts for the drat thing when it breaks something. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I realized we did three shots of tequila which would explain the haze over everything.

Yes, that would explain it. Tequila can be a bitch goddess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

It sucks to be in a position where you're unable to help. No matter how rational you try to be, we're emotional creatures and have no control over that.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Yesterday JLR introduced one of their panels with this video
Youtube must be sentient because the advert it played before the video was for Ford.

The technology they display in the video is pretty cool but seems like it would be more suited for Mars rather than dropping kids off on the school run.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Leaving tomorrow for a road trip to my wife's family farm in Kirksville, Missouri. 800 miles in the car over two days with two kids, ages 2 and 5, and a wife who is constantly angry at the world (and me by association) for some reason or another.

This will end well, right? RIGHT???? :shepicide:

Also, if anyone is within an hour of Kirksville, I'd be down to get drinks or something since I'll probably be looking for a reason to GTFO after the kids go to sleep. Not that anyone is likely to be reasonably close to Kirksville, since it is apparently the geometric center of the middle of loving nowhere. To get to Kirksville, take I-70 to Columbia, then go north on US-63 until you're sure you must have passed it because surely nothing can be this far away from modern soci...oh, 50 more miles to Kirksville. It's about an hour south of the MO-IA state line.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of tempted to get a loaner from the dealer - they just kind of blew me off when I showed up for my (scheduled) appointment. They said they'd call me in 3-4 weeks when they got parts... and that was 3 1/2 weeks ago.

It's shut off on me a couple of times, but thankfully being a manual, I just had to flick the key back to run.

Demand one, tell them you're in fear for your life and they'll have to cough one up. The dealer we took ours to just offered one off the bat, but I'm sure there are tons of dealers balking and waiting for people to make a stink before they give one up. My wife is making a trip to NY soon, and the dealer is letting her pick any (GM) car she wants from Enterprise since they don't allow the dealer cars out of state. drat straight we're gonna take advantage of that poo poo, I was gonna have to get tires for the HHR before the trip now I don't have to worry about it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Like 4 hours into my extendo weekend vacation and I spot a BMW Z1 with destructo.

:stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Yes, that would explain it. Tequila can be a bitch goddess.

First time drinking it in 6 years.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bandman posted:

Leaving tomorrow for a road trip to my wife's family farm in Kirksville, Missouri. 800 miles in the car over two days with two kids, ages 2 and 5, and a wife who is constantly angry at the world (and me by association) for some reason or another.

This will end well, right? RIGHT???? :shepicide:

Also, if anyone is within an hour of Kirksville, I'd be down to get drinks or something since I'll probably be looking for a reason to GTFO after the kids go to sleep. Not that anyone is likely to be reasonably close to Kirksville, since it is apparently the geometric center of the middle of loving nowhere. To get to Kirksville, take I-70 to Columbia, then go north on US-63 until you're sure you must have passed it because surely nothing can be this far away from modern soci...oh, 50 more miles to Kirksville. It's about an hour south of the MO-IA state line.

Reading the posts from MidWestern goons has convinced me that America between the coasts is a spiritual cage where we are slowly devoured by the foibles of our own humanity.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

blk posted:

Reading the posts from MidWestern goons has convinced me that America between the coasts is a spiritual cage where we are slowly devoured by the foibles of our own humanity.

Certainly sounds like southern Iowa and northern Missouri.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Like 4 hours into my extendo weekend vacation and I spot a BMW Z1 with destructo.

:stare:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I always loved those things (especially the doors). I guess they're old enough to import now? Or did that one come over in pieces... that panel gap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's such a letdown when you open the bonnet and find they just have a lovely old m20.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 23, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Replaced my droid bionic with a Galaxy S5 and it feels like going from a 486 laptop to a MBP, god drat

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's such a letdown when you open the bonnet and find they just have a lovely old m20.

You know what the great thing about the M20 is?

It's fairly easy to replace with an M or S50. :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rscott posted:

Replaced my droid bionic with a Galaxy S5 and it feels like going from a 486 laptop to a MBP, god drat

I finally upgraded my phone today after thinking about it for way too long. 4 year old HTC Desire HD (hand me down from boss) to a Moto G (16GB). Not fancy but for $75 the price was right. Now I need to decide if I'm going to attempt to use straight talk overseas or just pick up a SIM once I'm over there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

Certainly sounds like southern Iowa and northern Missouri.

Des Moines and Iowa City are pretty nice places to live. But yes the rest does blow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress am I doing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except one of the fender turn signals arrived cracked and socalauto essentially went "gently caress you file a claim with UPS bye~!" It's a $16 part, so worth it to figure out who never to deal with again (as I have a lot more poo poo to buy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had a bad followed by a good day today. My little tractor that I use to put mulch in started leaking hydraulic fluid like a bastard today, again. My gf and I had to call it a day today before the fluid level got too low and destroyed the super expensive pump. I have the weekend and next week of putting mulch in and with no tractor I have to do it all with a wheelbarrow. All together about 30 yards of mulch. Turns out I didnt tighten the main supply line to the controls when I replaced a smaller line earlier this year. Crisis averted, thank god. I thought another hydraulic line let go and its a MAJOR bitch to replace them.

• Locked thread