Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

if tech companies not being total selfish fuckwits

hey look a unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

if tech companies implemented and strictly applied meaningful codes of conduct for particular services (advertising, search, etc) instead of having libertarian tantrums whenever the possibility of not being total selfish fuckwits is raised, maybe they could get out in front of this and not have the government come in with hard regulations

oh are we writing fantasy now

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

put in ome ents

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

if tech companies implemented and strictly applied meaningful codes of conduct for particular services (advertising, search, etc) instead of having libertarian tantrums whenever the possibility of not being total selfish fuckwits is raised, maybe they could get out in front of this and not have the government come in with hard regulations
this will only happen if the risks for gaming the system exceed the reward for participating ethically, "do bad poo poo until you get caught" is still the best way to make money

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

this will only happen if the risks for gaming the system exceed the reward for participating ethically, "do bad poo poo until you get caught" is still the best way to make money

Legit. If we actually had fines for breaking the law that exceeded the profit companies made by breaking the law, then this could be different. As it stands, it's like the banks pulling LIBOR-manipulation scandals. If you make a trillion dollars off of something illegal but nobody's going to jail and you're only getting fined a billion, you're still in the black.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ask arthur andersen how that worked out. the big four sure loved it.

but seriously i agree. also personal responsibility for executives and board members.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

some industries have it figured out that if they pretend to make nice and voluntarily implement their own watered-down version of a proposed regulation they can avoid having a much much harsher version of it get rammed down their throats (with potential other nasty side things tacked on as well while lawmakers are at it). a great example is food companies and the half-assed front-of-the-box nutrition labeling that they all have implemented in an apparently very effective attempt to shut-down the possibility of stoplight front of package labeling which they are loving terrified of (because the cereal aisle would be solid red lights).

the problem is that tech companies are filled with the type of people that reflexively oppose anything that might possibly limit them, even uniform voluntary codes of conduct, as some giant trampling of their freedoms. facebook looks like they might have gotten the idea though with the privacy audit thing which has the potential to kick the legs out from under any attempts to use lovely privacy practices as an opening for stronger sweeping regulation that might encompass data collection, tracking, and retention.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol glassholes!!

http://evgrieve.com/2014/05/a-google-glass-feast.html

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ask arthur andersen how that worked out. the big four sure loved it.

but seriously i agree. also personal responsibility for executives and board members.

that was in the before time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

only glassholes would leave reviews on whatever google site that is and not yelp

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

literally one of these people actually ate there and got chewed out (hehe) for being a glasshole (but they prob deserved it)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

It's like the term "glasshole" just wasn't strong enough

Cold on a Cob posted:

literally one of these people actually ate there and got chewed out (hehe) for being a glasshole (but they prob deserved it)

Katy Kasmai (bottom of the picture) went in to eat, they asked her to take the glasses off, she refused and then got all her little friends to vote the place down. None of them had actually "eaten" there.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

also personal responsibility for executives and board members.

this alone would fix a lot

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i get mad about these people throwing around words like "discriminate" and "bigot" with regards to a 1500 electronic thingy that you strap to your face

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

there would probably be a reasonably large market for a verified review type thing on yelp, where you have to use a code from your bill or something and your review is weighted higher.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

being asked to take off my google glass when i go into a restaurant is literally worse than slavery

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Caged posted:

there would probably be a reasonably large market for a verified review type thing on yelp, where you have to use a code from your bill or something and your review is weighted higher.

well that wouldn't stop the restaurant owner from faking the poo poo out of reviews which is kinda the biggest problem. yelp's filters are actually shockingly good about catching fake reviewers (and people encouraged to sign up and review one place) and i think uploading pictures and such already ups how likely your review is to pass the filter.

i'm not sure if google filters the same way because they need every last review they can get

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oogle still has reviews?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, they bought zagat and integrated it into maps and/or google+

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i think it needs some tweaking...

https://plus.google.com/109576160493987357098/about?hl=en&gl=us

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Half the time, it's wrong 70% of the time.
https://plus.google.com/106079153915858888217/reviews?hl=en&gl=us

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

After I ordered my food, I was sexually assaulted by 3 employees. It was the worst experience I have ever had with McDonalds!!! Don't go here unless you want to be raped!

2 stars

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

poty posted:

After I ordered my food, I was sexually assaulted by 3 employees. It was the worst experience I have ever had with McDonalds!!! Don't go here unless you want to be raped!

2 stars

it would have been just one star but i got a fresh batch of fries.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

poty posted:

2 stars

the DNA lounge in SF has Yelp reviews by people who say, "Great music, love to dance, but watch your drink because I've had my drink spiked here multiple times. 3 stars." I mean, how many stars does the possibility of death for visiting an establishment really cost?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

libertarian tantrum

mods

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

i get mad about these people throwing around words like "discriminate" and "bigot" with regards to a 1500 electronic thingy that you strap to your face

idk i think doing that does count as a handicap and/or disability

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

let me know when Google Maps is allowed to respond to Siri voice commands, replace the lock screen, use custom banner notification icons or share data usage between apps

private apis, the smoking gun

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it was correct for microsoft to bundle trident into windows hth

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Install Windows posted:

idk i think doing that does count as a handicap and/or disability

can i take a red 4k camera to a restaurant and start pointing it at hot girls there??

wow. such bigot. very discrimination. woof woof woof.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

poty posted:

can i take a red 4k camera to a restaurant and start pointing it at hot girls there??

wow. such bigot. very discrimination. woof woof woof.

doing that would indicate mental incapacity so yeah probably would be

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

it was correct for microsoft to bundle trident into windows hth

which everyone discovered later. see also: qtwebkit, gtkhtml, cocoa webview

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
this is why it was correct that microsoft got away with bundling trident, it simply makes sense for a web age os to have html rendering built into the system, especially as it simplified things like the disparate markups used in things like older style help files and poo poo.

also, netscape deserved to die for trying to keep the paid browser business model going while providing an inferior product and then being unable to support said paid product.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

this is why it was correct that microsoft got away with bundling trident, it simply makes sense for a web age os to have html rendering built into the system, especially as it simplified things like the disparate markups used in things like older style help files and poo poo.

also, netscape deserved to die for trying to keep the paid browser business model going while providing an inferior product and then being unable to support said paid product.

when i was in high school i worked for the school isp and sold/installed a bunch of netscapes right out of the box with that dumb wheel logo

weird to think about people paying for a browser but the customers were old and i got to find out that cj poo poo sucks at a relatively early age

got to meet david h. depatie (he drew the pink panther and had a grudge against peter sellers for killing himself) so that was cool i guess

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

embedding the HTML renderer in the OS was complete bullshit, upgrading from IE 3 to IE 4 broke all of the integrated documentation in Visual Studio 5

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

got to meet david h. depatie (he drew the pink panther and had a grudge against peter sellers for killing himself) so that was cool i guess
what did he say when you told him sellers died of a heart attack and not suicide?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

embedding the HTML renderer in the OS was complete bullshit, upgrading from IE 3 to IE 4 broke all of the integrated documentation in Visual Studio 5

yet every single modern os embeds an html renderer??

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

what did he say when you told him sellers died of a heart attack and not suicide?

he didn't kill himself literally but he drank himself to an early grave, was the gist

we laughed with him but it's like, you're old and got rich drawing a cartoon don't gripe so much

he wanted more sequels so he could draw the credit sequences i guess

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

he didn't kill himself literally but he drank himself to an early grave, was the gist

we laughed with him but it's like, you're old and got rich drawing a cartoon don't gripe so much

he wanted more sequels so he could draw the credit sequences i guess
that makes it funnier to me somehow that theres this guy out there (who was?) upset that a great actor had personal demons and struggles with self medicating not because of the toll on the person and not because it deprived the world of more of his art and craft but because it affected him personally financially

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

that makes it funnier to me somehow that theres this guy out there (who was?) upset that a great actor had personal demons and struggles with self medicating not because of the toll on the person and not because it deprived the world of more of his art and craft but because it affected him personally financially

i want to draw my funny lolita pictures but that rear end in a top hat sellers went and killed himself and we can never have more of these movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

looks like sergay is still loving his mistress and causing strife within the company

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2014/04/sergey-brin-amanda-rosenberg-affair.print

quote:

A few months later, Brin and Wojcicki began to discuss acknowledging their separation in the press. With so many divergent agendas, this process became messy. Wojcicki, in particular, was starting to feel uncomfortable when acquaintances at conferences would send their regards to Brin via her, without realizing they were no longer together. According to the friend of the couple’s, Brin wanted to go public with the news before Burning Man, which takes place at the end of August, because he hoped to attend the festival with Rosenberg.

lmao

• Locked thread