Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's one of the typical mistakes I've never made but I make sure to kick the stand again, after I put it out, to make sure it's fully extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Y'all may think Sagebrush's casual response appropriate, but just a few more seconds or a few more feet and she could've squashed him flat. I hope her parents at least made it very clear how dangerous her inattentive driving was.

I do too. Let's be honest about making a claim though: there was almost no damage to the bike (I bent the shifter back to make sure the transmission was okay, so now it doesn't even look like it was damaged) and I wasn't injured. Yes, I could have been and the damage could have been worse, but insurance doesn't deal with "what could have been" and the insurance company wouldn't send a policeman to give her a stern lecture or something if I did make a claim. Having to pay more for insurance is an abstract thing for a 15-year-old girl. Getting yelled at by your parents isn't, and that seems to be the situation, so I'm good.

I dunno. I'm really not a vengeful person. The few times in my life I've gotten real "revenge" on someone who wronged me, I just felt bad because I did something equally nasty to them. I got the money to fix the pieces and she's hopefully learned a scary lesson before she actually hurts someone on the road badly. Works for me.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Pope Mobile posted:

How is that result even possible? :psyduck:

You can see the plier/vice grip teeth marks on the weights

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah. Real, proper spoke weights are installed with a special hammer, not with a goddamn pipe wrench.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah. Real, proper spoke weights are installed with a special hammer, not with a goddamn pipe wrench.

Spent all day doing calculations and analysis, those weights are now off by 0.0025g +/- .0001g each. That bike is completely unsafe and should not be ridden until this horrifying error is corrected.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
So what I got so far is that Sagebrush needs a free MRAP to park on the street and work on his bike inside of it. After that sprinkle frozen, grated feces around his neighbors house.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

FUUUUUUUCK. Screw in my rear tire. Pilot Road 2 with only 8.7k miles. Shop only has a pilot power which obviously isn't going to last as long. Fuckin poo poo ruined my weekend.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
2CT's are still pretty cheap

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2194/i/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-rear-tire

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I took the pilot power, I don't have any other transportation. $160 installed isn't horrible I guess.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: MRAP chat

Not quite the same thing, but once again, deal extreme delivers

Ninja edit: I think this deserves a kickstarter

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 24, 2014

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Product capacity: "200 units/month." A toy manufacturer told me that having product made in China was easy, she just set up a cot at the factory for the month or so her line was in production to make sure they didn't swap paints, ship garbage or spin production off to another factory.

She sold wooden alphabet toy blocks, what could go wrong with an armoured vehicle?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Schroeder91 posted:

FUUUUUUUCK. Screw in my rear tire. Pilot Road 2 with only 8.7k miles. Shop only has a pilot power which obviously isn't going to last as long. Fuckin poo poo ruined my weekend.

Put a plug in it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

apatite posted:

Spent all day doing calculations and analysis, those weights are now off by 0.0025g +/- .0001g each. That bike is completely unsafe and should not be ridden until this horrifying error is corrected.

It's more a question of how unprofessional it looks and the fact that those weights may not be tight on the nipples, so they could potentially move around.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I hate when my weights are loose on my nipples

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Remember to check that your spring loaded kick stand is down all the way before you hop off the bike.
This is why my bike has some decorative scratches on the clutch cover and I bow make sure it's safely standing before I let go.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Went to my local Honda dealer this morning to organise a 60k service and new tyres for my VTR250. Was a little bit annoyed after being told that I could bring it in "any day in the next two weeks", but not, apparently, next Thusday, and then the guy drops this on me when I ask about tyres:

:what: (me) I've been hearing really good things about the Michelin Pilot Streets, so it'd be great if you could get a set of those, but otherwise Pilot Activs are okay because I've got those on it a--
:smuggo: (him) Look, those probably aren't even being made any more. Tyre manufacturers change their models so often we can't even keep up.
:what: They... they're... literally brand new.
:smuggo: Oh, you looked them up on "the internet", did you? It's really down to what the importer's bought in.
:what: Um, yes? Can you just find out what's available and let me know before I bring the bike in?
:smuggo: Nah, I'm not even going to bother ordering them until I've got the bike here. You can just leave it with us overnight, whatever.

Oh, cool. I'll just inconvenience myself because you can't be bothered doing your job properly. That's perfectly okay. I get this sort of poo poo from them every time I go in to get the bike serviced that it's now sort of gotten to the point where I'm hoping that either KTM releases the RC390 or I can get my open-class license before I need the bike serviced again just so I can stop having to deal with them.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I get off work, standing next to the bike finishing a smoke and putting my gear on, letting the bike warm up a bit. Co-worker (age 20ish) walks out and ambles over.

"Man I bet you think you're so cool don't you?"
:what:

I just ignored it and started talking about the upcoming weekend, I just thought it was a weird thing to say. Maybe it was the gear, some people around here seem to think wearing gear is wierd, tank tops and shorts are the norm. No reason to wear jacket/gloves/helmet when it's hot right? :rolleyes:

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 24, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Tanbo posted:

I get off work, standing next to the bike finishing a smoke and putting my gear on, letting the bike warm up a bit. Co-worker (age 20ish) walks out and ambles over.

"I bet you don't think you're a dick."

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Tanbo posted:

I just ignored it and started talking about the upcoming weekend, I just thought it was a weird thing to say. Maybe it was the gear, some people around here seem to think wearing gear is wierd, tank tops and shorts are the norm. No reason to wear jacket/gloves/helmet when it's hot right? :rolleyes:

No that was just straight up burning jealousy, brother.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
"Think? Brother, it's been conclusively proven."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shouting Melon posted:

Went to my local Honda dealer this morning to organise a 60k service and new tyres for my VTR250. Was a little bit annoyed after being told that I could bring it in "any day in the next two weeks", but not, apparently, next Thusday, and then the guy drops this on me when I ask about tyres:

:what: (me) I've been hearing really good things about the Michelin Pilot Streets, so it'd be great if you could get a set of those, but otherwise Pilot Activs are okay because I've got those on it a--
:smuggo: (him) Look, those probably aren't even being made any more. Tyre manufacturers change their models so often we can't even keep up.
:smuggo: Oh, you looked them up on "the internet", did you? It's really down to what the importer's bought in.
:what: Um, yes? Can you just find out what's available and let me know before I bring the bike in?
:smuggo: Nah, I'm not even going to bother ordering them until I've got the bike here. You can just leave it with us overnight, whatever.

Oh, cool. I'll just inconvenience myself because you can't be bothered doing your job properly. That's perfectly okay. I get this sort of poo poo from them every time I go in to get the bike serviced that it's now sort of gotten to the point where I'm hoping that either KTM releases the RC390 or I can get my open-class license before I need the bike serviced again just so I can stop having to deal with them.

Buy your tires on :airquote:the internet:airquote: and take them to a small private shop to install them.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

"Think? Brother, it's been conclusively proven."

*flicks cig in your face, wheelies away*

Backov posted:

No that was just straight up burning jealousy, brother.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 24, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shouting Melon posted:

I have a honda dealership who are exactly like this near my work, are you sure you don't live in NZ?

Tanbo posted:

*flicks cig in your face, wheelies away*

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it.

I once rode to the shops with my girlfriend on her bike following me. We stop and hop off and some random guy nearby goes:

"I could smell the rice burning a mile away!"

And my witty retort was:

"Shut the gently caress up."

And he just walked off :shrug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The universal comeback is "And what do you ride?", 9 times out of 10 they don't even have a bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"My uncle has a Harley"

Ok.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
~angrily speeds off in his rebadged Daewoo~~~

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tanbo posted:

Some non-riders seem to like to give Riders poo poo, especially for their gear. I've had a co-worker who kept making fun of my "tiny jacket" and when I tried to explain why you want your jacket to be tight so it doesn't ride up in a crash, he started talking about how when he used to ride it was in shorts and flip-flops, of course he hadn't ridden in ~8 years. I also got the pleasure of dating a girl, who, upon finding out that I wear a full-face on my cruiser told me "you can't do that, that's just stupid, no one does that" yeah, didn't last, I enjoy having skin on my loving face.

I just moved to CT, and the lack of helmet laws :911:great abundance of freedom:911: here makes me uncomfortable, especially the Harley guys going bar-to-bar... It's also pretty funny because it's a Navy-heavy area, and Navy riders tend to be pretty ATGATT, so it's either A: shorts, a-shirt, nothing else or B: full face with armored clothing, there's doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I just moved to CT

You poor bastard

quote:

It's also pretty funny because it's a Navy-heavy area

Oh god are you near Groton? You poor bastard x10

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

You poor bastard

Oh god are you near Groton? You poor bastard x10

Yes I am, and I know :smith:

And both my bikes are stuck in a storage unit, possibly for the entire riding season, after spending three weeks in the PNW putting well over 2000 miles on two wheels.
:smithicide:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It's also pretty funny because it's a Navy-heavy area, and Navy riders tend to be pretty ATGATT, so it's either A: shorts, a-shirt, nothing else or B: full face with armored clothing, there's doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

All the Navy guys I see only have the minimum of what they're required, so usually a helmet, gloves, and whatever they call the blue camo uniform.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Most of the navy people at the CT base are submarine dudes. Submarine dudes are crazy about safety in my experience.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

I just moved to CT, and the lack of helmet laws :911:great abundance of freedom:911: here makes me uncomfortable, especially the Harley guys going bar-to-bar... It's also pretty funny because it's a Navy-heavy area, and Navy riders tend to be pretty ATGATT, so it's either A: shorts, a-shirt, nothing else or B: full face with armored clothing, there's doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Colorado is also a "Freedom" state. I go to bike night at the local HD dealer (I mean, free food and $1 beers. How can I say no?) and I look like captain safety in my jeans, boots and armored jacket with a full face helmet compared to most of those guys.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M42 posted:

Most of the navy people at the CT base are submarine dudes. Submarine dudes are crazy about safety in my experience.

Submarine commands tend to be crazy about scaring sailors that they'll lose their health insurance or otherwise get in deep poo poo if they're hurt off base and it can be found to be due to their negligence. This relates to submarine manning being so tight that losing a body to a minor injury that puts him temporarily unfit for sea duty can put a command scrambling to cover. Losing your health insurance is a myth, but going to mast and potentially losing rank or pay because the command thought you were taking undue risks isn't.

I think I've told some submarine biker stories before, I wouldn't assume they're any safer or better riders than any other able-bodied males at that age.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

Colorado is also a "Freedom" state. I go to bike night at the local HD dealer (I mean, free food and $1 beers. How can I say no?) and I look like captain safety in my jeans, boots and armored jacket with a full face helmet compared to most of those guys.

No poo poo. I just ran a bunch of errands on my bike in Ft Collins, and there's a biker fest going on in town. I saw a thousand cruiserchopperbillybadasses mean mugging all over town and I was the only one wearing more than a helmet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Deeters posted:

All the Navy guys I see only have the minimum of what they're required, so usually a helmet, gloves, and whatever they call the blue camo uniform.

If the navy (and the other branches) are like the Coast Guard then the minimun is a DOT certified helmet (Full, Quarter or Half), long sleeves, long pants, over the ankle footware and gloves. Notice I didnt specify anything for the last 4, so anything from yoga pants to armored leather pants are fair game for the military. People gave me poo poo about wearing my leathers, so I gave the standard military response that I love being a leather daddy (or that I dont want to end up being a hamburger). I have ridden in my uniform before but it was mainly to do short mail runs for my boat.

Something about handling mail and riding bikes makes me feel good. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When I was in Groton, we were required to wear hi-viz vests to get on base, and there was debate about whether we were technically required them off-base. Of course, once companies like Icon started actually naking the vests and biker-appropriate hi-viz jackets, I think the requirement went away.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

The universal comeback is "And what do you ride?", 9 times out of 10 they don't even have a bike.

Reminds me of my friend, he said he was telling his girlfriend about my Ninja, and she said that sportbikes are for sissies, men ride Harleys. He was telling me about it, and I asked if she rides. He said no, I said "Oh that explains it, she'd fit right in with the Harley crew then, they don't ride either except to the bar and back on weekends."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

sissy

Bet he wishes he was on a Harley so he could be a real man :smuggo:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tanbo posted:

Reminds me of my friend, he said he was telling his girlfriend about my Ninja, and she said that sportbikes are for sissies, men ride Harleys. He was telling me about it, and I asked if she rides. He said no, I said "Oh that explains it, she'd fit right in with the Harley crew then, they don't ride either except to the bar and back on weekends."

:( I ride the poo poo out of my Harley. But it's a Sportster, so it's not *really* a Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

slidebite posted:

Buy your tires on :airquote:the internet:airquote: and take them to a small private shop to install them.

Pretty much what I'm going to do. My local bike shop is really great about ordering and fitting tyres, but I wouldn't normally go to them because they're in kind of a remote area and it's a 25min walk from them to somewhere I can catch a bus, while the Honda dealer is a five minute walk to the train station so I can just drop off the bike in the morning and head to work.