Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Linedance posted:

Porsche builds a decent range of sports cars, the rest is just cashing in on a badge. It enriches shareholders, not automobile enthusiasts.

That's.... What a for profit business is supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Hellcat is full of piss and vinegar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2d3YpJVYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1bOZd7T8Q

Tekne fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 23, 2014

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

I need this in my life so bad. It sounds meaner than a Viper.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

eyebeem posted:

No one's saying it's illegal for them to make suv's, just that as a race car company you look a lot cooler if you aren't making soccermom-mobiles. Comcast is a for profit company but they don't have a whole lot of good will with consumers, so there can certainly be more to business than just money. I think Porsche getting back into LMP races does a good job of getting back some of that racing credibility.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dear Porsche: stop being uncool, bro.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
For the record I saw an opening for a sarcastic quip and I took it. I don't really care what Porsche makes. Some of the owners should be a little ashamed, though.

Also that Hellcat sounds like the #1 car most likely to piss off everyone else in your neighborhood.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Maybe it's just me but Porsche isn't a race car company. It's always been a company that sells expensive trophy cars for doctors and lawyers, just now they sell trophy SUVs to their wives as well. Every car they sell is capable of driving around with performance you'd expect out of a Porsche so I can't really understand the hate for some of their cars don't have the body style I'd prefer. The only way I'd be able to reconcile that is the badge on an SUV devaluing my enjoyment out of my non-SUV Porsche, and if that's the case then it's a problem with me, not the company. Companies make money above all else, everything else is secondary.

I hate SUVs and CUVs too so....

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 23, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Reminder that Porsche is the company which sells the cheaper to build hardtop version of their roadster at a significant premium because gently caress you and who intentionally cripple their smaller mid-engine cars so as to not drastically out-perform their intrinsically flawed halo car, all the while making more money per unit sold than any other manufacturer including Lamborghini.

Porsche largely exists for those who won't be seen in a lowly BMW but can't afford a Ferrari, they're one of the most successful examples of marketing and branding in the world.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Why can't Mercedes and BMW make the E63 and M5 sound like that Challenger. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

First time a video has made one of my cats jump up, hiss at the computer, and then run away.

Good lord that thing sounds angry.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mr. Apollo posted:

V8's and V-Twins are American that's why

the rest of these worlds are yours

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Counterpoint, the Americans get their asses whipped by the Italians on V-twins, there's no reason V-8s should be a refuge

E: One could argue the Italians smoke the US on V-8s as well

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Counterpoint, the Americans get their asses whipped by the Italians on V-twins, there's no reason V-8s should be a refuge

Last I checked the 455 was an American engine (even if GM killed off the brands that used them).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eyebeem posted:

So why don't those rules apply to the 911? Why is that somehow the exception? You really think they build those other models so that they can afford to keep building the true and pure 911, sold to us, the greatful consumer, really as just a favour? It's killing them, I'm sure, to let us have the 911 so cheap. They've got to put their kids through college too, but since we're such good pals, fellow enthusiasts, for us they'll make an exception to the normal rules of business and sell us a 911. Won't make a dime on it at all, honest. You eat that poo poo up? I know plenty of people must, because they keep posting that "it's OK because it means they can keep making the 911" tripe.
gently caress that. gently caress the 911 and everything it stands for. I want to see a world full of self driving Priuses filled to the brim with smug. It's OK because it means Toyota can make an IS-F.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Y'all care a lot about what cars some company makes in an effort to make money. If you like 911s that is cool. If you don't like 911s that is also cool. If you think Porsches are overrated dumb poo poo, great! If you think that Porsches are the greatest thing ever, great! Who gives a gently caress?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Porsche made an SUV? RAAAAAAGE

911's are cool bro.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

Reminder that Porsche is the company which sells the cheaper to build hardtop version of their roadster at a significant premium because gently caress you and who intentionally cripple their smaller mid-engine cars so as to not drastically out-perform their intrinsically flawed halo car, all the while making more money per unit sold than any other manufacturer including Lamborghini.

Porsche largely exists for those who won't be seen in a lowly BMW but can't afford a Ferrari, they're one of the most successful examples of marketing and branding in the world.

More like Porsche exists for people who want a sports car (vs. an overweight sedan/GT, see: BMW) that also starts every time and you can daily drive (cf. Ferrari).

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe it can be a firmware update for the dash speaker

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 24, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Y'all care a lot about what cars some company makes in an effort to make money. If you like 911s that is cool. If you don't like 911s that is also cool. If you think Porsches are overrated dumb poo poo, great! If you think that Porsches are the greatest thing ever, great! Who gives a gently caress?

Y'all are missing the point of my incoherent raging. I'm not bothered that Porsche makes gold plated volkswagens or ugly limos, or good sports cars, or that they make boatloads of money on every single one. What bothers me is that people think that the fact that they actually make a few decent sports cars frees them from any criticism. That you aren't allowed to call a turd a turd, because they make ~~911s~~, and yet people can hate and rage all the day long about priuses and smart cars as if other companies have to abide by some other set of rules, because they don't make ~~911s~~.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This is where I point out that the Cayenne almost buried Porsche, and they've doubled down on that game plan.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Who cares, when it comes to exhaust notes, the V-Twin and V8 are firmly American territory, like Guam or the Moon.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cream_Filling posted:

Maybe it can be a firmware update for the dash speaker

:drat:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

This is where I point out that the Cayenne almost buried Porsche, and they've doubled down on that game plan.
What are you pointing out, exactly, since by pretty much all accounts the huge profits on the Cayenne are what help keep Porsche going? http://www.marketwatch.com/story/porsche-profit-surges-as-cayenne-suv-drives-sales-2012-03-13 is one example. I'd like to see counterpoints based on anything other than some vaguely-defined notion that a company that builds only sports cars and is out of business is somehow better off than one than also makes SUVs and is profitable.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If they made the 911 with a plastic dash, 270 horsepower and a $30,000 pricetag it would be just as much a 911 as the current one, and would be just as fun. They are just greedy and their customer base has been too fat and old for too long.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Linedance posted:

Y'all are missing the point of my incoherent raging. I'm not bothered that Porsche makes gold plated volkswagens or ugly limos, or good sports cars, or that they make boatloads of money on every single one. What bothers me is that people think that the fact that they actually make a few decent sports cars frees them from any criticism. That you aren't allowed to call a turd a turd, because they make ~~911s~~, and yet people can hate and rage all the day long about priuses and smart cars as if other companies have to abide by some other set of rules, because they don't make ~~911s~~.

There's a pretty big gap between the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan and stuff like Priuses and smarts. It seems like most of the criticism is around "well, this car is not a 911, therefore bad."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If they made the 911 with a plastic dash, 270 horsepower and a $30,000 pricetag it would be just as much a 911 as the current one, and would be just as fun. They are just greedy and their customer base has been too fat and old for too long.

Yeah gently caress trying to make money?

If there's actually a market and business case for that car, someone, somewhere will build it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Who cares, when it comes to exhaust notes, the V-Twin and V8 are firmly American territory, like Guam or the Moon.

I was talking about exhaust notes. On the bike side the Americans try to make volume with displacement but cripple themselves giving up some 5000+ RPM to redline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBn2xRPU-t0&t=46s

I couldn't find a good dyno pull vid that would show the high RPM sound, and I didn't even look for Ducati vids because that'd just be unfair.

It's a similar thing on the car side, and I'll give you that there's a question of taste between the high-RPM scream of the Ferrari and a big-bore domestic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvAC6vaJHxU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
That 355 sounds heavenly. Could be a bit deeper though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My uncle has a 993 and it's very different from the 996 and later. I can see what people mean after experiencing the difference, but Porsche is building what sells so whatever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Who gives a gently caress? The company is out to make money, not make an Enthusiast Special 911. They sell just fine so I doubt Porsche is concerned over what people who can't afford them think on the internet.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

The Germans make a pretty good claim to V8s:
http://youtu.be/6Pu9X-2jFlQ
http://youtu.be/xmP2HjjVEwA

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a pretty big gap between the Cayenne/Panamera/Macan and stuff like Priuses and smarts. It seems like most of the criticism is around "well, this car is not a 911, therefore bad."

Yea, the Prius is actually an awesome and fantastically practical car which has a solid reason for existing beyond stroking the ego of trophy wives.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tekne posted:

The Hellcat is full of piss and vinegar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2d3YpJVYk

Is that much smoke on start-up normal for a modern car? Or is it just a pre-production oddity?

e: I thought it looked like smoke, but you've got me second guessing myself. I'd expect to see condensation on a cold day, but these people are standing around in shorts.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

SouthLAnd posted:

Is that much smoke on start-up normal for a modern car? Or is it just a pre-production oddity?

Smoke or condensation?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Top Gear just posted a picture of the "bonkers all-electric Mini Superleggera Vision concept"

It looks... familiar:

:psypop:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Mini though

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Who wouldn't want an electro-German Thunder-chicken.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Wheeee posted:

Yea, the Prius is actually an awesome and fantastically practical car which has a solid reason for existing beyond stroking the ego of trophy wives.
This and another poster's previous comments about how 911s are for doctors and lawyers and Cayennes are for "their wives" makes it sound like AI lives in the 1950s. Beyond that, how is a Prius not a great car for city-dwellers? It's relatively small and it gets fantastic city mileage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I don't think those thunderbird revivals look bad. They might have some other issues under the skin but it's a pretty clean design.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What always impressed me about the DEW98 T-bird was how they managed to make it look like someone had slapped a Thunderbird bodykit on a Chrysler Sebring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This and another poster's previous comments about how 911s are for doctors and lawyers and Cayennes are for "their wives" makes it sound like AI lives in the 1950s. Beyond that, how is a Prius not a great car for city-dwellers? It's relatively small and it gets fantastic city mileage.

Sorry, I can't help it. I've been living in the UK for too long. I'm moving back to modern times soon though, so hopefully I'll get better. Until then, put a cup of tea on for us, will you luv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hey now I meant how the manufacturer perceives it's customers, not how I personally see them.