Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010
Horizon's 50 years old apparently. There's a fair bit on the iplayer right now, one of my favourites is a one on one interview with Richard Feynman in the early 80's. Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p018dvyg/horizon-19811982-9-the-pleasure-of-finding-things-out. Honestly the amount of directorial padding in the more modern ones is almost upsetting; if filmed today it would be full of loads of close ups of eyes, ears, half framed heads and blurred things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and I think I'm in love with Rachel Riley. :allears:

Isn't she paired with Joe Wilkinson on 24 Hours To Go Broke? Thought I'd give it a look.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
loving hell, time hasn't been kind to the Fast Show. This is tripe.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Glasgow, get the train every day.

Yeah, this is the best option, my cousins come and stay with me in Glasgow and travel over to Edinburgh for the Fringe a couple days every year. Trains and buses shuttle between the cities every ten minutes during the day, and every hour or so at night. Much cheaper, and you don't end up in jail for headbutting the millionth person who tries to shove a bloody flyer in your face while you're walking through the streets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah my mum's upstairs neighbour was a student flat, the landlord kicked the students out over the summer and was making an absolute fortune renting it out to festival types. Thousands for your bog standard shabbily furnished tenement student flat. Some theatre group stayed there one year and had a party and puked out the window into my mum's garden.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I thought penny dreadful was awful.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irisi posted:

Yeah, this is the best option, my cousins come and stay with me in Glasgow and travel over to Edinburgh for the Fringe a couple days every year. Trains and buses shuttle between the cities every ten minutes during the day, and every hour or so at night. Much cheaper, and you don't end up in jail for headbutting the millionth person who tries to shove a bloody flyer in your face while you're walking through the streets.

Looking online it seems like the average train cost is about about £25 return, does that seem about right?

What about bus travel times? Sorry to ask lots of questions.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought penny dreadful was awful.

Better or worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie? I'm still tempted to watch it.

PriorMarcus posted:

Looking online it seems like the average train cost is about about £25 return, does that seem about right?

Buses are very regular, you can get a Citylink or a Megabus from Buchanan Street bus station to St Andrews Square very easily. That's what I did when I was a student living in Glasgow returning home to visit. Significantly cheaper than the train and not much longer a journey.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

marktheando posted:

Buses are very regular, you can get a Citylink or a Megabus from Buchanan Street bus station to St Andrews Square very easily. That's what I did when I was a student living in Glasgow returning home to visit. Significantly cheaper than the train and not much longer a journey.

Yup, this is the way to go. Megabus do a daily return from Glasgow to Edinburgh for a quid, and it's only an hour on the bus.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Ddraig posted:

loving hell, time hasn't been kind to the Fast Show. This is tripe.

I loved it.
I was in my 20s when it was first on and it was a proper TV event, promptly followed by hitting the pub/club, and I felt that was the only bit missing tonight (because I'm old)

What did make me feel sad was seeing Mark Williams presenting some poo poo quiz show the other day. He used to drink in the pub I ran in Brighton and was a top fella, I did a double take seeing him on that shite.

--EDit--
Fringe/Fest talk-
I live in Dunfermline which is about 30 minutes on the train (fiver) and costs gently caress all for festival rental/hotel

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 23, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

On the Glasgow to Edinburgh journey we used the Megabus. It left Glasgow Buchanan bus station every 45 mins or so, took about an hour and if you booked a month in advance it cost the princely sum of £1.50, which leaves much more money for beer and chips at the festival.

On the way back from Edinburgh we took the Megabus back if we were going home before midnight or after 8 in the morning. If we were making a full night of it we had to take the notorious 0500 hours early morning train and it cost about thirteen quid for a single, so £25 sounds about right, yeah.

Oh, and Penny Dreadful was daft, but Timothy Dalton chewed all the scenery quite delightfully, and Eva Green is always worth watching too. Worth a look if you're not in the mood for anything too serious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What about Billie Piper's Oirish accent? (full disclosure, I haven't watched it yet, it might fill my usual Monday GoT spot on NowTV this week, though)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

Better or worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie? I'm still tempted to watch it.

Give it a watch man, I was really looking forward to it but was hugely disappointed. Could be just me though.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

What did make me feel sad was seeing Mark Williams presenting some poo poo quiz show the other day. He used to drink in the pub I ran in Brighton and was a top fella, I did a double take seeing him on that shite.

The Link? It's like Only Connect for idiots. He's not very good at presenting it, either.

(Was the pub the Lion + Lobster? Saw him in there a couple of times.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Give it a watch man, I was really looking forward to it but was hugely disappointed. Could be just me though.

I will. I was pretty much sold on it just because of Timothy Dalton and Eva Green.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Unkempt posted:

The Link? It's like Only Connect for idiots. He's not very good at presenting it, either.

It's terrible, and he's badly suited to it (though his suit was nice) Hope it's paying well

Nah, the Coopers Cask, and the Hop Poles, oh and the Druids Arms and the Marine Tavern. I did see him in the lion & Lobster a lot though as it was right next to his house (my mates lived in the flat above, I wasn't stalking him, honest)
I miss Brighton.

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 23, 2014

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Nah, the Coopers Cask, and the Hop Poles. I did see him in the lion & Lobster a lot though as it was right next to his house (my mates lived in the flat above, I wasn't stalking him, honest)
I miss Brighton.

Ha, I used to drink in the Cooper's all the time about ten years ago. Don't remember seeing him in there.

(I miss Brighton too.)

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Ha, I used to drink in the Cooper's all the time about ten years ago. Don't remember seeing him in there.

(I miss Brighton too.)

I'm talking 1998-2000 (AKA the good old days)

Back to TV, Have I Got News For You was good tonight. For real
John Cooper Clark, Ross Noble and Kirsty Wark. Were all great, and Paul merton did some ace Smiths puns/jokes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Wait... why would you dumb down Only Connect? That's like doing Mastermind, but the questions are all Primary 5 level. Besides, we've got plenty of poo poo gameshows, like that one Ben Shephard does in early evening on ITV with the giant coin pusher machine.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Gaz-L posted:

Wait... why would you dumb down Only Connect? That's like doing Mastermind, but the questions are all Primary 5 level.

Ah, so like Celebrity Mastermind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ah, so like Celebrity Mastermind.

John Humphreys does kind of come off like the really polite teacher at Parents' Night in those.

EDIT: VVV Just like my mum. Well, she actually likes it, but mostly because those kind of shows make her feel smart, as she can get most of the answers right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

that one Ben Shephard does in early evening on ITV with the giant coin pusher machine.

That one is really weird. Whenever I'm at my parent's house there seems to be some celebrity version featuring people from TOWIE and daytime TV.

My mum says she hates it, but she keeps leaving it on...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Chase is pretty good though, because it's gimmick is basically "Be smarter than this verified very smart person".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pointless is by far the best game show.

Ejector Seat is by far the worst.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Chase is pretty good though, because it's gimmick is basically "Be smarter than this verified very smart person".

I thought it's gimmick was "what silly word can we slip into the questions and make Bradley 'I play a hardboiled copper in my other job' Walsh corpse?"

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

PriorMarcus posted:

Pointless is by far the best game show.
I like it but people hardly ever actually win dont they which makes me sad :(. They should give em a consaltion 500 quid or something surely.

e: to explain if the person gets to the final round they must get a pointless answer to get the pot otherwise they get nothing.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 24, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I like it but people hardly ever actually win dont they which makes me sad :(. They should give em a consaltion 500 quid or something surely.

e: to explain if the person gets to the final round they must get a pointless answer to get the pot otherwise they get nothing.

The beautiful Pointless trophy is theirs to keep regardless :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gaz-L posted:

like that one Ben Shephard does in early evening on ITV with the giant coin pusher machine.

I've seen that, literally end-of-the-pier stuff.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gaz-L posted:

that one Ben Shephard does in early evening on ITV with the giant coin pusher machine.

That's absolute rubbish, but if it's on, I have to watch it. It's just so ridiculous. Haven't seen ejector seat beyond a 5 second clip on YouTube. Is it as stupid as it seems?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Chase seems bloody difficult for teatime ITV.

Seaside Loafer posted:

It used to be a lot worse, before they had 3 questions within the final question.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mickolution posted:

It used to be a lot worse, before they had 3 questions within the final question.

Yeah, didn't Pointless go 22 straight episodes without a win once, so the jackpot was nudging £25000? Seem to recall the couple who won that jackpot just started cackling at each other.

The money would be nice, but I really would go on it just to meet Armstrong and Osman, and get one of those delightful trophies. They're so pretty :allears:

And I like The Chase too, even if I find the early rounds a wee bit repetitive. The smart quiz chaser people are all genuinely a little bit terrifying. Especially the lady who looks like Miss Trunchbull out of Roald Dahls' Matilda.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

For those who were asking about a 4od/adblock workaround, I just found one.

- Disable adblock
- Start the video playing
- As soon as it starts buffering (spinny circle animation), re-enable adblock

For me it jumps straight to the programme. I assume this works with all browsers but I'm using Firefox.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Gaz-L posted:

I thought it's gimmick was "what silly word can we slip into the questions and make Bradley 'I play a hardboiled copper in my other job' Walsh corpse?"

I really like the chase. Definitely one of the better gameshows. It's like Eggheads but not poo poo.

Bradley is also genuinely brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBslkRsvRng

On the other extreme you have In it to win it which has some of the biggest idiots in the country. Apparently the Dish ran away with the Cow.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 24, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^Jump to 11.00 in that video for the best example. Walsh is trying SO HARD not to break.

And thanks to whoever posted about 8 Out of 10 Cats Countdown. I checked out a few eps on 4oD and Riley really does slot into the panel show aspect beautifully. Susie Dent just kinda does what she normally does on the main show, but Riley bounces off the guys really well.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 24, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goatface posted:

this is the correct answer

but you could save some more and just not bother with accommodation.
see the very late stand up showcase at teviot the acts are hit-or-miss but worth a shot and different every time. places are open all night. then the penny black opens at 5 or 6.
catch the odd nap in princes st gardens if it's not raining & pop into the commonwealth pool to shower & freshen up during the day.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Gaz-L posted:

^Jump to 11.00 in that video for the best example. Walsh is trying SO HARD not to break.

And thanks to whoever posted about 8 Out of 10 Cats Countdown. I checked out a few eps on 4oD and Riley really does slot into the panel show aspect beautifully. Susie Dent just kinda does what she normally does on the main show, but Riley bounces off the guys really well.

That might have been me. We bought tickets to see Jon Richardson next week purely from his showings on that

Ina similar note thanks to everyone for the reccomend actions of uncle. It's a great piece of comedy with a bit of black
Humour in there

Boo to the people who recommended Fresh Meat tho. It's dire.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goatface posted:

This is a good suggestion, though Falkirk is much closer, though it's probably rubbish.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Cerv posted:

this is the correct answer

but you could save some more and just not bother with accommodation.
see the very late stand up showcase at teviot the acts are hit-or-miss but worth a shot and different every time. places are open all night. then the penny black opens at 5 or 6.
catch the odd nap in princes st gardens if it's not raining & pop into the commonwealth pool to shower & freshen up during the day.

This is what I attempted on my only visit to the festival, occasionally bumming around the flats that were rented by friends who were running shows, sleeping in cupboards etc. (literally)

My friend had the masterstroke/good fortune of getting with a local lass on the first night and staying with her for the rest of the time.

However by the end of the three days I was dead on my feet. It's definitely one way to experience the festival though.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
My daughters suddenly well into Blue Peter.
It seems to be not terrible nowadays which is odd because I remember it being dull middle-class gash when I was a kid. Even if I did get a badge for getting my drawing on the wall.

All the presenters seem to be all young and cool instead of wankers like Anthea Turner at least.

EDIT: The kids seem to be as awkward as always.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 25, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My daughters suddenly well into Blue Peter.
It seems to be not terrible nowadays which is odd because I remember it being dull middle-class gash when I was a kid. Even if I did get a badge for getting my drawing on the wall.

All the presenters seem to be all young and cool instead of wankers like Anthea Turner at least.

EDIT: The kids seem to be as awkward as always.

Charlie Brooker is both the luckiest guy in the world and the world's biggest bastard for marrying Konnie Huq. She was the only reason I'd watch Blue Peter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
That moment when all the girls in the audience got up to dance with Pharrell on Graham Norton.

CRINGE