Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Very much enjoying it. Took a complete tanning at the start of the third mission, though, when more soldiers turned up from the other island than I ever had to fight off from the king, despite being at the exact same point militarily.

Will go back to it another time, don't want to hate the game for beating me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Poil posted:

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

Hah! This is a good thing, I think, because people were complaining about the lack of election difficulty.

Back Hack posted:

I like how there is a to point to building country homes instead houses now; homes have their own garden which provides food to it's residents, which is perfect for when your setting up far away mines and logging camps.

Really? Nice. I always just used bunkhouses for my miners, are those in?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Speedball posted:

Nope, country house is the lowest buildable residence.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I feel like this is a bigger step than between 3->4. It kind of feels like a different game that just shares all the same concepts.

I agree with this, Tropico 5 is a whole different game compared to 4 and 3 since nearly everything has changed. The new mechanics for workers, defense, edicts and research make it more involved than 4. It looks like all the buildings and scenery are brand new and aren't just recycled assets.

Plus if you're familiar with the previous games, cranking the difficulty up to Very High provides a good challenge and it's never really trivial to keep your treasury in the black. You'll find you have to plant a variety of crops, explore for mines and slot in ranches pretty strategically to maximize your production. I've only played through the first 2 missions so far but I'm glad I picked it up, I'm just hoping you get a choice of more than 2 islands to play on as the game progresses.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So how the hell do you proceed mission wise in the campaign. If I go to new game and choose my legacy I have to start from the beginning, and choosing to load a saved game and launching a scenario from there just sits on the loading screen forever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

Country Houses are the new Bunkhouses. Though you have to actually kinda have a choice early on between Country Houses (residents don't need food) and normal Homes (get a quality bonus the more are in a cluster).

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Maneki Neko posted:

So how the hell do you proceed mission wise in the campaign. If I go to new game and choose my legacy I have to start from the beginning, and choosing to load a saved game and launching a scenario from there just sits on the loading screen forever.

I'm having the same problem. My loading screen is stuck when trying to load my campaign.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm having that exact same bug. What version do you have? (non-Steam?)

vvv Darn I was assuming it was just b/c I was using the non-Steam version. Hopefully it will be patched soon.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2014

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Maneki Neko posted:

Bingo, same glitch here. Playing the Steam version.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wyld Karde posted:

Bingo, same glitch here. Playing the Steam version.

Thern posted:

I'm having the same problem. My loading screen is stuck when trying to load my campaign.

I ended up loading my last autosave, playing the last few minutes of the previous scenario and can then continue, but I don't have much faith I'll get farther next session :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Between all the typos and bugs it sounds like it's worth it to sit on buying for a while? At least the game isn't the same thing like 4 was to 3, it sounds like. If you don't control El Presidente, does he just wander around and do what you usually did with him anyway or what?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well if you're still on the fence I am streaming it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603714&pagenumber=41#post430049754

and from the OP of that thread:

toddy. posted:

Does that mean I can stream {Game released yesterday}?
ZORAK EDIT: yes, technically. Just don't be obnoxious about it or use it as a round about way to get around a well executed Let's Play. THE THREE MONTH RULE NO LONGER APPLIES HERE

I am just doing this as a first look until 6pm EDT

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, it looks like I'm hosed. How weird of them to make the game require DX11 when it doesn't seem that much more intensive than 4, but I guess that is the way of the future. :(

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Playing a sandbox, just hit Cold War era. Digging it so far, but I'll note that if you finish up one era early, then the timeline skips ahead. I finished the WW2 chain in the late '20s, and when it switched to Cold War it jumped ahead to the mid '40s.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

Between all the typos and bugs it sounds like it's worth it to sit on buying for a while? At least the game isn't the same thing like 4 was to 3, it sounds like. If you don't control El Presidente, does he just wander around and do what you usually did with him anyway or what?

The typos shouldnt really bother you, and I havent experienced any bugs so far. Certainly less bugs than when Tropico 4 first dropped and had all of those mission ending bugs.

It's a great game, and definitely worth it to get it now. It isnt like 60$ or anything. I disagree about it being a huge jump from 4 though. I think it is pretty close to the jump from 3 to 4. Not quite as bad but it still isnt revolutionary at all. The eras is the biggest change but even that isnt a huge deal.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, it looks like I'm hosed. How weird of them to make the game require DX11 when it doesn't seem that much more intensive than 4, but I guess that is the way of the future. :(

That really blows. My only guess is it is because of the water effects which are drastically improved over 4.

If anyone wants a card that is dx11 capable and plays the game fine you can shoot me a PM. Im looking to upgrade to a GTX 760 and id be willing to let my old card go for a decent price.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is there any way to kill the radio announcer or am I stuck with her antics until my ears bleed?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For a $200 dollar game, this is pretty good. (game + dx11 video card. It was time to upgrade anyways.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Gotta say the new almanac is really a step down from 3-4. I have no idea how to appease factions or nations outside of quests, now, and even stuff like happiness seems to be a lot more "Oh geez no entertainment throw taverns!"

Still, the rest of it is pretty solid. I wish trade wasn't quite so random, though. Focused on cigars and tobacco and the fucks only want tobacco every now and then and shirts, but never cigars. :v:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Gamerofthegame posted:

Gotta say the new almanac is really a step down from 3-4. I have no idea how to appease factions or nations outside of quests, now, and even stuff like happiness seems to be a lot more "Oh geez no entertainment throw taverns!"

Still, the rest of it is pretty solid. I wish trade wasn't quite so random, though. Focused on cigars and tobacco and the fucks only want tobacco every now and then and shirts, but never cigars. :v:

You can still export cigars (and everything else for that matter) if it's not an active trade mission. The trade missions just net you better prices.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, country houses are cheaper than proper houses and provide their own food so I can make more money on exports. Yeah they're going to be living in those for a long time. Possibly forever. It would be neat if there was a modernish house with a greenhouse on the roof however.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

UI could use a little work, other than that I'm loving the game. Campaign is really fun, I like switching between the two islands. Game is definitely harder, I've just been playing on standard difficulty but elections have been very close a couple of times and rebels are pretty relentless. Don't know why they got rid of the three speeds for two, the normal one is too slow and the fast one is too fast!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How's the writing in this compared to 4?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's slightly less funny, but only because building descriptions require two clicks to get to.

One of the music tracks however sound like someone made it in Sibelius, added midi voices and called it a day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Boiled Water posted:

It's slightly less funny, but only because building descriptions require two clicks to get to.

One of the music tracks however sound like someone made it in Sibelius, added midi voices and called it a day.

Ah thanks. I liked the writing in 4, and I feel the campaign would have been rather boring if it wasn't for the quality of the writing(and music), so it's kind of a selling point for me. I think I'll watch some streams to check it out.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty similar, ie not especially good but certainly characterful.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Broken Cog posted:

Ah thanks. I liked the writing in 4, and I feel the campaign would have been rather boring if it wasn't for the quality of the writing(and music), so it's kind of a selling point for me. I think I'll watch some streams to check it out.

The music bit is super weird because there are some tracks which are brilliant, in theme and by artists probably located in the Caribbean, Latin- or South America. And then there's some midi stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Broken Cog posted:

Same Writers as 4, so as everyone says it's just as good. You just have to get used to the new Penultimo, or as I consider him Penultimo Sr. He looks a lot like the old Penultimo but is nothing like him in personality or voice. Still funny though.

Also, this game does not gently caress around with military. In Tropico 4 it was trivial: keep people happy and build the occasional armory or guardpost to keep the gun-nuts happy then laugh every time the rebels get a hair up their rear end. Now? I had two barracks, a handful of guard towers and an army base for a brigade of tanks and thought I was king of poo poo mountain and probably spending a bit much on military.

Then the Axis took umbrage with me trading exclusively with the Allies and curbstomped me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nessus posted:

And the worst part of it is that now it's impossible to force any decent anti-aliasing at all so you're stuck with either playing without AA which is a giant eyesore or using their built-in AA which makes everything look like it's out of focus and still doesn't remove all aliasing.
At least in Tropico 4 you could force proper anti-aliasing through Nvidia Inspector.

With exception of this bullshit I'm really enjoying the game so far.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's pretty good so far. A few things I like are the way they structured up wealth levels as broke, poor, well-off, rich and filthy rich. This lets you control to some extent where people live, for example by creating a cluster of houses and increasing the budget to set the wealth requirement to rich. This lets me create quarters where the wealthy übermenschen live, with their collges and luxury entertainment, while the poories live in farm towns with a clinic and a bar. This actually works because you can set it so that only the wealthy vote and this way you'll only have to worry about their happiness (and beat down the poor rebels with your middle class soldiers).

This game is fun :D

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nessus posted:

DX11 has been out for 5 years so it makes sense.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hum, Are there really only 2 maps for the campaign?
I mean it's neat that they keep progression and all, no need to rebuild stuff.

Also I completed one of the campaign missions in less than a minute!
The main objective was to earn 50,000$ for the Swiss Bank Account.

I remembered that I had a lot from the last mission.
70k, so I used 60k to upgrade some of my dynasty people.
Then when I got back to the game the counter was at -60,000$ and the end-of-mission dialogue started.
( This won't screw me over in the long term at all. :v: )

Still, the campaign does a pretty decent job of building you up slowly, just y'know, I hope there are more islands.

e: Y'know what, Glorious Presidente decided that the best way of buying Switzerland was to drown it in bankruptcy.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2014

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Welp, hit my first bug: A floating tavern!

Another nitpick is one that was true in Tropic 4 and 3 (I think?): I wish you could rebind camera pan to WASD instead of arrows/mouse edge.

Otherwise having a lot of fun in sandbox. Money has been a non-issue and the politics of eras haven't been an issue up through Cold War so far, but I'm constantly struggling to keep houses/supermarkets/religion/entertainment/health from hitting the shitter. Lots of redevelopment of old areas, etc.

My verdict would be that if your enjoyment depends on it being a big evolution from the fourth game, I'd give it a pass. If you're a new Tropico player or you're a fan hungry for more Tropico, I'd give it a thumbs up. It's a bigger improvement over 4 than 4 was over 3, and personally I think it's funnier than 4 was.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I still think that the name "Penultimo" is the best joke in the series.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Has anyone tried a VS multiplayer game? How does that work?

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Wow, I cranked the difficulty all the way up in sandbox and actually lost an election.

I managed to do that in the tutorial. I had to spend a few minutes rethinking my life.

I really like the Budget system. Teamsters at maximum budget are mad truckers even in the Colonial Era...

Arkanterian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DheeradjS posted:

I managed to do that in the tutorial. I had to spend a few minutes rethinking my life.

I really like the Budget system. Teamsters at maximum budget are mad truckers even in the Colonial Era...

The tutorial election is incredibly easy to lose. It's a really nasty kick in the balls.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Alkydere posted:

The tutorial election is incredibly easy to lose. It's a really nasty kick in the balls.

I just rigged the election. I figured that was the point.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gorelab posted:

I just rigged the election. I figured that was the point.

I cut taxes, rigged it, tried to build a couple buildings to take care of some of the sore points of the people and still lost with only about 40% of the vote. I'm guessing I made the voting too permissive so I didn't just have the old boys club voting for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Is there more tutorial after that election?
I figured that I was supposed to lose there because I used Tax Cut and tried to rig the election but lost anyway. I assumed it was intended to show you a game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Same Writers as 4, so as everyone says it's just as good. You just have to get used to the new Penultimo, or as I consider him Penultimo Sr. He looks a lot like the old Penultimo but is nothing like him in personality or voice. Still funny though.

Also, this game does not gently caress around with military. In Tropico 4 it was trivial: keep people happy and build the occasional armory or guardpost to keep the gun-nuts happy then laugh every time the rebels get a hair up their rear end. Now? I had two barracks, a handful of guard towers and an army base for a brigade of tanks and thought I was king of poo poo mountain and probably spending a bit much on military.

Then the Axis took umbrage with me trading exclusively with the Allies and curbstomped me.

Are there actual interactive invasions now or is it still just a game over screen?

• Locked thread