Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Buu saga is objectively not very good, but it's really fun so hell if I care.

he's just sitting there eating a parfait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

crankdatbatman posted:

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my phone. I still don't see how you could argue narratively that the Buu Saga done without Goku's return would be a better ending than the Cell Saga. That way it just kind of sticks out as a weird story arch that hangs off of Dragon Ball, which is in short the legacy of Goku. The series is about Goku, no one really cares that Gohan can beat a bad guy by himself.

The series isn't about Goku once Gohan is born, which I pointed out. Once Gohan is born, Goku stops saving the day for the most part, really (as compared to other people doing it), and the protagonist focus switches to whoever is around at the time. I mean, as soon as Gohan is born and the first villain comes, PICCOLO saves the day with a Goku assist. Goku isn't even in most of that era - he's dead after Raditz, hurt after Vegeta, sick with the androids, and dead with most of Buu.

Pre-Gohan, the series almost entirely follows Goku, with a few tiny cutaways to Bulma and Roshi. Afterwards, the series follows everyone. Then GT turns into pre-Gohan again.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2014

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

The Buu saga is objectively not very good, but it's really fun so hell if I care.

he's just sitting there eating a parfait!

The Buu saga is really good if you like the comedic aspects of earlier DB. It's the funniest arc, by far, of the post-Gohan era (Z).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It is really disappointing how Toriyama was setting Gohan up to fill Goku's shoes only to have him get totally punked and have Goku save the day in the end.

Something I really like about Dragonball is that it takes place over a large span of time, starting with Goku was a little kid and ending with him as a grandpa. Characters grow older and change over time, versus other superheroes like Superman who has stayed the same age for 75 years. Throwing Goku back into an old role kind of flies in the face of that, and as much as I like the early Dragonball, the idea of making Goku regress into childhood really kinda ticks me off. That's worse than nullifying Spider-man's marriage to Mary Jane.

I can't wait to see how DBZA handles the ending. Goku just up and abandons his family so he can train Uub. He really is the worst dad.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can't wait to see how DBZA handles the ending. Goku just up and abandons his family so he can train Uub. He really is the worst dad.

Actually in Nekomajin we see that he stays at home while training Uub.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Petiso posted:

Who are the people next to Ox King and ChiChi? Pre-teen Goten?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Petiso posted:

Okay, so he isn't that bad of a dad!

Now that I've finished the Dragon Ball manga and if I want some more, where should I go next? Should I read Nekomajin, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, etc? Check out some of the movies?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Who are the people next to Ox King and ChiChi? Pre-teen Goten?

Goten and Pan I'm assuming.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Darko posted:

The Buu saga is really good if you like the comedic aspects of earlier DB. It's the funniest arc, by far, of the post-Gohan era (Z).

Something else interesting about the Buu saga is that the villain doesn't win by power. Vegeta, Freeza and Cell were all raw power. Majin Buu, on the other hand, is certainly powerful but he's mostly durable. Hell, most of the fighters get some devastating hits in on Majin Buu over the course of the saga, but it doesn't do jack poo poo to him. The only time we really see him low on energy and in real danger in a conventional fight is against Vegeto. Every other time (SS3 Goku, SS2 Vegeta, SS3 Gotenks, Mystic Gohan), he gets beat around for a while but he just shrugs it off afterward. It takes an enormous power differential (like with Vegeto) to overwhelm that durability, or a single overwhelming attack (like the Spirit Bomb).

That's why I wasn't surprised when Uub sucked. He had Buu's power but none of the durability. Essentially, all you're getting is another SS2. Merging with good Buu to become Majuub pushes him up to SS3. Yeah, that's powerful, but definitely not a game-changer in GT. The problem is how much Goku hyped him up, really.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WhiffleballDude posted:

Goten and Pan I'm assuming.

Kid needs a haircut. I could barely tell he was one of the Goku's. Wait, what is Goku's family name?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wait, what is Goku's family name?

Son

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Son Pan is a terrible name.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Kid needs a haircut. I could barely tell he was one of the Goku's. Wait, what is Goku's family name?

Looks like his uncle Raditz

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Son Pan is a terrible name.

Taking her mother's family name would not have been an improvement.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now that I've finished the Dragon Ball manga and if I want some more, where should I go next? Should I read Nekomajin, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, etc? Check out some of the movies?

No if you are expecting something like Dragon Ball.
Yes if you like Toriyama's sense of humor, because those are more comedies mangás than battle mangás.
I personaly enjoyed them a lot.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Why did Toriyama name him Mr. Satan? He had to of known the negative connotation associated with that name. Or was that part of the joke?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

Why did Toriyama name him Mr. Satan? He had to of known the negative connotation associated with that name. Or was that part of the joke?

That was the joke. His daughter's name is an anagram of Devil.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
If I remember in one interview he said that he wanted something that sounded really "Badass".

While there are a lot of conotation in the west, in japan the prevailing relegions are Shinto and Buddhism, those are full of yokais evil spirits, demons and monsters, Satan is more like just another demon to them.
Also he always made the mangá to the japanese market and never really cared for the international market. If you really look in to it there a lot of things that might raise some brows here in the west.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Captain Quack posted:

If I remember in one interview he said that he wanted something that sounded really "Badass".

While there are a lot of conotation in the west, in japan the prevailing relegions are Shinto and Buddhism, those are full of yokais evil spirits, demons and monsters, Satan is more like just another demon to them.
Also he always made the mangá to the japanese market and never really cared for the international market. If you really look in to it there a lot of things that might raise some brows here in the west.

It's also just his stage name, like a wrestler. It's a pun on his real name, Mark, which in Japanese is an anagram of "devil" (maaku --> akuma)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
His real name is actually Mr. Hercule Satan

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

His real name is actually Mr. Hercule Satan

He's totally the guy that would change his name to his stage name, though.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Mr. Satan is his stage name. Mark is his real name. Hercule was made up for the French dub and carried over to the American dub.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mark Satan
Maaku
Akuma

Hmmmmm.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What does Toriyama think of his international fans? Does he even know how popular Dragon Ball is around the world?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

At this point in time? No poo poo he does.

He probably got news of its popularity a bit of time after it first aired overseas. But since he is a anime/manga series creator his work is primarily aimed for, as expected, the Japanese.

Its like how American shows, while they are internatinally accessible, still cater to a primarily American audience.

Its why localization is a thing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Blue Star posted:

What does Toriyama think of his international fans? Does he even know how popular Dragon Ball is around the world?

I'm reminded of the first Dragon Ball manga volumes released by Viz, which at the back had old letters from when the original series was being published back in the 80's. Among them was this rather strange letter.

"Help! I'm running out of air! Please gather up some air and send it under water via Kamehameha! Thank you!"

Toriyama's reply.

"Huh? What are you talking about? I don't think you were drowning when you sent me this letter...um...please continue to support my work."

I suspect that'd be his reaction to it. "Um...please continue to support my work."

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Does he even know how popular Dragon Ball is around the world?

I think suddenly making more money than he'd ever seen, around five years after finishing his series might have clued him in about international fans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm reminded of the first Dragon Ball manga volumes released by Viz, which at the back had old letters from when the original series was being published back in the 80's. Among them was this rather strange letter.

"Help! I'm running out of air! Please gather up some air and send it under water via Kamehameha! Thank you!"

Toriyama's reply.

"Huh? What are you talking about? I don't think you were drowning when you sent me this letter...um...please continue to support my work."

I suspect that'd be his reaction to it. "Um...please continue to support my work."

Hah! that's kind of adorable.
Though Oda's responses have spoiled me on all creator replies.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That was the joke. His daughter's name is an anagram of Devil.

Holy poo poo :aaa:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hah! that's kind of adorable.
Though Oda's responses have spoiled me on all creator replies.

Oda would construct some kind of elaborate scenario where he can send the writer air. Or he'd get "angry" about the implausibility of the situation. Oda is cool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Star posted:

At least in reviews over the last several years, Toriyama's come off as more embarrassed by his fame than anything. He drew a little comic and is still a bit bewildered by how it became so popular. Even funnier is that this was in a dual interview with Oda, who was just about deafening everyone with his squeals of joy over getting to sit next to his idol.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oxxidation posted:

At least in reviews over the last several years, Toriyama's come off as more embarrassed by his fame than anything. He drew a little comic and is still a bit bewildered by how it became so popular. Even funnier is that this was in a dual interview with Oda, who was just about deafening everyone with his squeals of joy over getting to sit next to his idol.

In the one I'm thinking of (probably the same), Oda has a much better memory of Toriyama's work than Toriyama. It's hilarious what a fanboy he is.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

In the one I'm thinking of (probably the same), Oda has a much better memory of Toriyama's work than Toriyama. It's hilarious what a fanboy he is.

My favorite thing in that interview is Oda freaking out over a picture of an armpit Toriyama drew once as the best armpit he ever saw and Toriyama is just like, "Uh, yeah! I think I remember the armpit you mean!"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is that the same interview where Oda say "I loved Tao Pai Pai he was one of my favorite characters!" and Toriyama forgets who that is completely?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

bobjr posted:

Is that the same interview where Oda say "I loved Tao Pai Pai he was one of my favorite characters!" and Toriyama forgets who that is completely?

Yes.

Which makes even more funny the fact that one of the last pieces of official information is about Tao Pai Pai and Mr.Satan's master.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dragon Ball had to have made Toriyama pretty wealthy, right? I imagine him to be pretty much the George Lucas of manga/anime (franchise ruining connotations aside).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Dragon Ball had to have made Toriyama pretty wealthy, right? I imagine him to be pretty much the George Lucas of manga/anime (franchise ruining connotations aside).

No, because that would involve them not completely screwing over the creator. He didn't do bad off of it but he probably has seen only a small fraction of the money DBZ ever made. A reminder that Lucas is worth in the Billions with a B.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpAtom posted:

No, because that would involve them not completely screwing over the creator. He didn't do bad off of it but he probably has seen only a small fraction of the money DBZ ever made. A reminder that Lucas is worth in the Billions with a B.

Well Lucas became the man he is today because of all that money, so maybe it's for the best that Toriyama experienced more modest success.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Creators of popular manga / anime make quite a bit money, even something like shounen. Some of the big names are actually among some of the highest earners in Japan. The system is actually pretty favorable to creators in general in terms of rights and financial contracts. Hours are terrible if you're actively creating a weekly manga though. This is going off of memory, but I seem to recall one of the female authors actually topping the list of individual earners? Remember that all corporations in Japan don't actually pay much to executives etc. The companies keep most of the money corporate.

I think Oda is actually pretty filthy rich as a result of One Piece and its merchandising. Toriyama I would presume is pretty similar.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's also just Oda's personality I think, he takes that sort of methodical "I REMEMBER EVERYTHING ABOUT [WORK]" mindset to One Piece, which never contradicts itself without actively calling attention to it (and if there's an art error he makes up an excuse after the fact about errant doorrepairsmen fixing recently destroyed doors).

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

I think Oda is actually pretty filthy rich as a result of One Piece and its merchandising. Toriyama I would presume is pretty similar.

I want to say last time this came up in a thread, both of them were pretty comfortably in the multi-millionaire range in American dollars. They aren't billionaires or anything, but Toriyama especially would never have to work again for a couple life times if he didn't want to.

• Locked thread