Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Claremont wanted to leave X-Men and write Fantastic Four for quite some time. Personally, I'd take him off the book before the Morlock Massacre, when the grim 'n' gritty really kicked in.

I'm not sure who I'd replace him with, though. John Ostrander, maybe, or Walt Simonson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If we take "just before Mutant Massacre" as the hypothetical Claremont exit date, that would probably put it in middle of 1986, which coincided with Byrne leaving FF. Assuming that Claremont took over FF, it would have been interesting if he'd gotten Alan Davis to draw it (he'd been trying to get Davis onto the X-books for a while at that point) and they'd taken the team on all these cross-dimensional Excalibur-style adventures. That might have been pretty cool. He probably would've put Kitty Pryde in the Baxter Building as Franklin's live-in nanny, of course, which was something he'd been planning to do when he wrote FF in the late 1990s.

I'm not sure what Byrne would've done with X-Men if he had it all to himself; if his run on WCA is any indication he probably would've hung around for about a year "fixing" all the characters he thought Claremont broke after he left, then headed off to work for DC on Superman, at which point he would have been replaced on X-Men by somebody like Roger Stern (who would've just quit Avengers) or the Simonsons.

It might have had implications for Silvestri and possibly Lee, since I imagine Byrne wouldn't want to share pencilling duties if he could help it.

I wonder what would've become of the spin-offs in this scenario; Claremont wrote New Mutants until 1987, then started Excalibur and Wolverine's solo series a year later. Excalibur was pretty much his pet project, so that would be out. I guess Louise Simonson would still take over New Mutants and Peter David or somebody might get Wolverine.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The logical point for him to leave would be just before he actually did - before he launched the 2nd X-men title. He had pretty much wrapped up all the plot threads he'd been working on at that point anyway. I guess after Uncanny #200 would have been a good point too, although it would have left the next writer with a status quo of Xavier on his deathbed and gone to space, Magneto in charge of the X-Men, and the originals forming X-Factor. Simonson writing the 3 books (X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants) might not have been bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm just not sure who's around in 1986 who'd be a good fit for X-Men. The worst thing you could've done to that book at that point was to hand it to one of the in-house Marvel guys for another thrilling round of Generic Superhero Adventure Comics (tm), so you'd want somebody with chops and courage moving into the seat.

Claremont on FF at that point would dodge the "John Harkness" era, though, so I'm well in favor of that just on general principle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I just realized I know nothing of what was happening in comics outside of X-Men between the 70s and the 90s.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's a sort of real world "what if" scenario. Imagine if Claremont (for whatever reason) had decided he wanted to stop writing the series at some point in the 1980s; what would have been the ideal point for him to go, who would have been the ideal replacement writer; and what would have been the ideal next move for Claremont (i.e. he's given another Marvel book or he goes to DC)?

All I know is, there's probably a 75% chance that Spider-Man would get cancelled.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I legitimately had to put the book down when Quinten pulled out the psi-construct flowers and card that read "BeCLAWS I love you" at X-23.

But I really loved his and Cyclops talking. They are really pushing Quentin to become a full fledged Xmen.

Ah gently caress Uncanny Xmen's cliff hanger!

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 21, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ponsonby Britt posted:

All I know is, there's probably a 75% chance that Spider-Man would get cancelled.

I'm afraid I'm not following you on that count. Why would that have happened?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm afraid I'm not following you on that count. Why would that have happened?

Its What if, and Super-man almost always dies!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

twistedmentat posted:

They are really pushing Quentin to become a full fledged Xmen.

I know and it's terrible.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Suben posted:

I know and it's terrible.

Screw you it is. We could use more telepaths who aren't there for Scott Summers to alternatively pine over or be related to. The closest we've got is Hellion, who's just a telekinetic and only really shows up when one of the kids needs to be an rear end in a top hat or get maimed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Question for anyone else who read Amazing X-Men: What the gently caress was that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A super dumb one-off thing. I loved it.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I liked that Spider-man suddenly smashed a phone booth. And that there was such a thing as a phone booth.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really hate the phoenix, time travel and pre-destination as a plot point. Assuming that is even the word I'm looking for.

And yet I find myself really enjoying this Quire focused Wolverine and the X-men. I also find X-Factor weirdly amusing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I legitimately had to put the book down when Quinten pulled out the psi-construct flowers and card that read "BeCLAWS I love you" at X-23.

That was the best thing ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

That was the best thing ever.

And X-23 was totally down with it. I guess you always meet the worst guys when on the rebound.

2/3rds of the Cuckoo's being grossed out and Mindee being all :swoon:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Screw you it is. We could use more telepaths who aren't there for Scott Summers to alternatively pine over or be related to. The closest we've got is Hellion, who's just a telekinetic and only really shows up when one of the kids needs to be an rear end in a top hat or get maimed.

Sure. However Quire is really annoying and I hate him.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm asking here because it's an X-book, but how was the Amazing Friends issue in Amazing X-Men?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm asking here because it's an X-book, but how was the Amazing Friends issue in Amazing X-Men?

I hated every line of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

I loved every line of it.

but it was super dumb, guess like the cartoon in a sense, firestar and iceman are getting snacks for the X-men because THE GAME is going on. Some space people steal the team's mascot that Spidey was watching over because reasons and the three heroes are stuck with a space baby until they can trade it for the goat.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I loved Kathryn Immonen on Hellcat but I'm getting kind of tired of every story she writes being HEY LOOK SUPER WACKY!!!!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

d00gZ posted:

I loved Kathryn Immonen on Hellcat but I'm getting kind of tired of every story she writes being HEY LOOK SUPER WACKY!!!!

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I could stand a bit more.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

And X-23 was totally down with it. I guess you always meet the worst guys when on the rebound.
Hallucination X-23 was totally down with it; the Cuckoos were feeding Quentin his fantasies back to him.

Still hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CapnAndy posted:

Hallucination X-23 was totally down with it; the Cuckoos were feeding Quentin his fantasies back to him.

Still hilarious.

Ah I missed that part, I thought they were just watching.

I like how Uncanny is finally moving on with its plot, we'll find out who's behind SHIELD's Sentinals and Magneto rescued Dazzler so Mystique will be exposed. Hill has been violated by a lot of telepaths lately.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Really digging the Magneto solo. I totes recommend it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

d00gZ posted:

Immonen's pretty much a writer of two extremes. Either her ADHD style works and you get Hellcat, or it doesn't and you get Pixie Strikes Back. There's really no middle ground.

Edit: I honestly think "wacky high concept" is sort of an overplayed thing at Marvel in general though IMO and it's the main reason I absolutely hate Aaron's X-Men run.

Suben fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 22, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just realized that X-23 says "and bub and stuff" because the Cuckoo's have no idea how Wolverine actually talks.

And uh, Xmen was an comic this month. My biggest problem is that I have no idea who is attacking them, and every Xmen title seems to have "Mysterious attackers!" right now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There can never be enough Patsy Walker. Never.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Suben posted:

Edit: I honestly think "wacky high concept" is sort of an overplayed thing at Marvel in general though IMO and it's the main reason I absolutely hate Aaron's X-Men run.
Yeah, I think you just nailed down why I hated most of it too. Aaron is so hit or miss for me though. I adore his Thor to bits. I liked his Hulk run upon re-reading it from beginning to end. I actually would sort of like to see him on Iron Man. The bit in Original sin made me chuckle a little more than it should have.

I tried re-reading WATXM from the beginning again and just found it, yeah, doesn't work for me. I like all the concepts in the new run though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I had high hopes that this issue of Amazing was gonna be all kinds of funnybook-style fun, but instead I used it as an excuse to drop the series. Don't care that it was only a fill-in, since the last issue started Yet Another Story with Mystique as Villain. I'm also dropping Adjectiveless as soon as Bromo Superior's over- does anybody have any knowledge when that will be? Seriously, make the whole comic about Hellion, Rockslide, and Anole. I can't get over how boring Storm, Psylocke, and Rachel are.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So the first issue didn't really win me over but I gotta say now I'm definitely disliking Doop now that his series is revealing that he is actively behind characters being stupid in Battle of the Atom.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm just imagining it as an out-of-continuity fun little thing, similar to that Team-Up issue of Ultimate Spidey and FF where they actually went into the Marvel offices.

And it isn't like you could make BOTA more dumb anyway.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love that it's pinning all the seemingly random and absurd events in big comics on the most random and absurd of the X-Men. Doop's an avatar of the random whims of Bendis or any other writer and that kinda makes sense to me in a weird poetic way? I dunno, I just love All-New Doop.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

So the first issue didn't really win me over but I gotta say now I'm definitely disliking Doop now that his series is revealing that he is actively behind characters being stupid in Battle of the Atom.

So you are mad at the series taking a piss on Battle of the Atom?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
And speaking of the strange whims of one Brian Michael Bendis, this is the cover to All-New X-Men #32

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

So you are mad at the series taking a piss on Battle of the Atom?

Battle of the Atom should be forgotten and left to rot in my memories, not dragged to the forefront, even if it's for shits and giggles.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Maybe it's a delayed April Fools joke? Surely not even Bendis would swoop so low.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Isn't Bendis at his best writing Ultimate Spidey? Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will rocket his X-Men run to new heights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I am straight up baffled here. Bamboozled even. What the christ. But okay.

• Locked thread