Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Last Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else find '70s manga charming? The male characters all look like something out of Pride and Prejudice. :allears:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Totally

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Horimiya! It's a really good cooking chapter. :3:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Horimiya/Ch-036--High-Hopes?id=197386

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone else find '70s manga charming? The male characters all look like something out of Pride and Prejudice. :allears:

Here's a tumblr that's chock full of vintage manga goodness.

Plus if you like romance, yuri, and/or serious melodrama everyone should check out Shiroi Heya no Futari (The Couple in the White Room).
Those sparkles! :swoon:
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shiroi-heya-no-futari-r2837
It's one of the earlier yuri romance manga and is worth reading for that reason alone, it's also pretty good. That's the other reason to read it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

a kitten posted:

Plus if you like romance, yuri, and/or serious melodrama everyone should check out Shiroi Heya no Futari (The Couple in the White Room).
Those sparkles! :swoon:
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shiroi-heya-no-futari-r2837
It's one of the earlier yuri romance manga and is worth reading for that reason alone, it's also pretty good. That's the other reason to read it.

The whole "younger, less mature girl falls in love with a more mature, 'older sister' figure" thing apparently has its roots much earlier than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_S_(genre)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Violet_Sky posted:

Rose of Versailles is one of my absolute favorite manga just because the style is so absolutely charming. That and I have a huge boner for Marie Antoinette-centric stories.

Of 70s/classic manga, I also like Sukeban Deka though I don't know how much it counts as shoujo..beyond having some definite shoujo ai-type overtones.

I really don't know much about classic manga, and reallly really want to read more but it seems like finding complete translations of anything is really difficult.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

I love the old art style as well. It's very charming.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Rose of Versailles is one of my absolute favorite manga just because the style is so absolutely charming. That and I have a huge boner for Marie Antoinette-centric stories.

Of 70s/classic manga, I also like Sukeban Deka though I don't know how much it counts as shoujo..beyond having some definite shoujo ai-type overtones.

I really don't know much about classic manga, and reallly really want to read more but it seems like finding complete translations of anything is really difficult.

Sukeban Deka is awesome, I wish they had more translated. :smith:

Apparently there was a live-action adaption? All I can find is this (admittedly awesome) trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MMfUvm4g18

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

It was published in a shoujo magazine, so it qualifies. (And a decent amount of shoujo-ai is actually published in magazines for men.)

Edit: Pretty much the only way to be sure is to look up what kind of magazine it was run in, through there're certain tendencies in every given category. (Not even genre because they're too broad for that.)

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 25, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The final chapter (as far as I can tell)of Honey & Honey is up now.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/honey_honey_ch34

I hate to resort to just using an emoticon but...
:unsmith:

That pretty much sums it up. What a cool little autobiographical story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ah! My Goddess 307, so combined with the previously released 308 you can now read the whole thing.

It was fiiiiiiiine but yes I agree that it would have been better to have some of the human characters involved. It's an ending that could really use one of those special wrap-up epilogue chapters.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Nate RFB posted:

Ah! My Goddess 307, so combined with the previously released 308 you can now read the whole thing.

It was fiiiiiiiine but yes I agree that it would have been better to have some of the human characters involved. It's an ending that could really use one of those special wrap-up epilogue chapters.

Yep, agreed.

How's that other manga he's doing now? Any good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Paradise Residence, I presume? The premise on batoto didn't sound particularly promising ("...where the mama of the dorm is a grade school girl.") but it seems to be a pretty innocuous slice of life affair. It reminds me of Non Non Biyori to use something recent. But also in no way, shape, or form is it a romance manga so...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I looked back a few pages and haven't seen any mention of it, so I'm going to take this chance and plug for Akagami no Shirayukihime, or "The Red-haired Snow White Princess", which got a bunch of updates a week back. Chapters 16-34 can be found here.

The prince of a country hears about a woman in his city with beautiful rare red hair, and decides to make her his concubine. Shirayuki, our protagonist, won't have any of that and tries to flee. In the forest she happens upon a group, and after helping one of them, a boy named Zan, they decide to protect her from the prince and his efforts to bring her in.

I really dig this one. It's a light-hearted fantasy, with great characters, good pacing, and some really sweet romance. Definitely check it out if you've missed out on it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Terper posted:

I looked back a few pages and haven't seen any mention of it, so I'm going to take this chance and plug for Akagami no Shirayukihime, or "The Red-haired Snow White Princess", which got a bunch of updates a week back. Chapters 16-34 can be found here.

The prince of a country hears about a woman in his city with beautiful rare red hair, and decides to make her his concubine. Shirayuki, our protagonist, won't have any of that and tries to flee. In the forest she happens upon a group, and after helping one of them, a boy named Zan, they decide to protect her from the prince and his efforts to bring her in.

I really dig this one. It's a light-hearted fantasy, with great characters, good pacing, and some really sweet romance. Definitely check it out if you've missed out on it.

That one was strong for me for a while, but I get the feeling that it's been kind of spinning its wheels in place lately. I still keep up with it but it's felt rather dull recently.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Terper posted:

This looks cool, but I'm trying avoid series that aren't finished or over 300 chapters long right now. Way too many promising series stop getting translated.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I've been meaning to check that out for a while but haven't for some reason. I did read all of the translated chapters of Love so Life last week and it's very cute.

Also picked this up the other day.

It's so nice to have a good translation.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Terper posted:

I looked back a few pages and haven't seen any mention of it, so I'm going to take this chance and plug for Akagami no Shirayukihime

Someone needs to distill "ordinary but strong-willed girl in a fantasy kingdom being macked on by 3-5 shoujo archetype hot boy princes with various personality problems in a story that alternates between romance and political intrigue as an excuse to never advance the plot" into a one-word genre. I remember the art in Akagami being pretty good though, great character designs.

Love So Life is Taiyou no Ie tier in my book, it's almost tropey but the twins are so awesome that I don't really care :3:

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 29, 2014

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Mio Bison posted:

Someone needs to distill "ordinary but strong-willed girl in a fantasy kingdom being macked on by 3-5 shoujo archetype hot boy princes with various personality problems in a story that alternates between romance and political intrigue as an excuse to never advance the plot" into a one-word genre. I remember the art in Akagami being pretty good though, great character designs.

Love So Life is Taiyou no Ie tier in my book, it's almost tropey but the twins are so awesome that I don't really care :3:

Well, if there's one thing I can say about Akagami, it certainly isn't a "will they won't they" situation. The main couple are a main couple from the beginning. That being said, it definitely feels like they're in the most boring relationship ever.

I've followed Love So Life for years now, but it's sooooo god drat slow. Over 70 monthly chapters in and they're still in the stammering phase. Taiyou no Ie is fantastic because it's perfectly paced. The twins really are adorable though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mio Bison posted:

Someone needs to distill "ordinary but strong-willed girl in a fantasy kingdom being macked on by 3-5 shoujo archetype hot boy princes with various personality problems in a story that alternates between romance and political intrigue as an excuse to never advance the plot" into a one-word genre.

Historical Urban Fantasy?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think you can generally just assume that whenever you see the shoujo, romance, and harem tags together, that's basically what it is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

arisu posted:

Well, if there's one thing I can say about Akagami, it certainly isn't a "will they won't they" situation. The main couple are a main couple from the beginning. That being said, it definitely feels like they're in the most boring relationship ever.

Yeah, I enjoy the manga and the politics are interesting when the translators are competent enough that I can follow them...but at this point I am way, way more interested in the two bodyguards or the head apothecary and her weird sadistic thing she has going with that other dude from the northern library.

The two mains might be more interesting if they spent more time together but it's like...okay, they're together, they just never get to talk, so...

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I guess this would be the most appropriate thread for this that popped up recently: Story of a Dying Girl. It is what it says on the tin. More drama than romance, though there is that too. A short thing, 6 chapters plus one bonus chapter that kicks your heart in the balls.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Blhue posted:

I guess this would be the most appropriate thread for this that popped up recently: Story of a Dying Girl. It is what it says on the tin. More drama than romance, though there is that too. A short thing, 6 chapters plus one bonus chapter that kicks your heart in the balls.

Thank you for recommending :smithcloud:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

arisu posted:

I've followed Love So Life for years now, but it's sooooo god drat slow. Over 70 monthly chapters in and they're still in the stammering phase. Taiyou no Ie is fantastic because it's perfectly paced. The twins really are adorable though.

I stopped reading Love So Life when it became clear the couple was going to be the old dude and the girl instead of the the girl and the orphan boy cause the age difference and babysitter relation was/is dumb and creepy.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Davincie posted:

I stopped reading Love So Life when it became clear the couple was going to be the old dude and the girl instead of the the girl and the orphan boy cause the age difference and babysitter relation was/is dumb and creepy.

Eh, I've just kind of accepted that as the way things are in Manga. Taiyou no Ie has a very similar setup, but it's still probably my favorite ongoing Shoujo manga right now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As long as it's two consenting adults and not incredibly stupid, I don't really give a drat.

Of course, most of the time the lead isn't actually an adult yet so the man always goes "No, I cannot! Not yet! Oh woe! :negative:"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

arisu posted:

Eh, I've just kind of accepted that as the way things are in Manga. Taiyou no Ie has a very similar setup, but it's still probably my favorite ongoing Shoujo manga right now.

Yeah, it's not a device I'm really fond of but it's not a total dealbreaker unless it brings in some other elements that make it even more skeevy like the older party being a teacher or having some other sort of authority over the younger person, or when they're 15 or younger. I can't even admit to totally avoiding those since I keep reading 14-sa no Koi and Ojikoi because I have terrible taste and make bad choices.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everything about 14-sai is great except for that drat thing with the teacher. Too bad it seems to have taken up half of the manga now. It isn't forbidden love or anything like that, it is just an adult abusing her position to play with a child.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The teacher in Hirunaka no Ryuusei makes it super skeevy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You should just do like the game Bravely Default and mentally add several years to everyone's age (though I guess this wouldn't work when one person is in school and the other is an adult).

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

hitze posted:

The teacher in Hirunaka no Ryuusei makes it super skeevy

Oh man, that one is pretty bad about it but I still read it because I read everything. At least there's a classmate love interest but you know she'll end up with creepy teacher at the end of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I came around to Taiyou no Ie's a little bit when the author talked about how the couple was based around her parents. I couldn't help but chuckle at her matter-of-factly "So I made a manga out about it. :geno:"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Blhue posted:

That was great. :cry:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Taiyou no Ie.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

hahaha so much for things winding down.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Everything Burrito posted:

hahaha so much for things winding down.

Hahah that last page

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I wondered when that would happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly thought that would never get brought up.