Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I'm fairly certain thats in one of her dialogues with sword-man. It's also something that you see coming from a mile away and doesn't really build her character.
Nope. It's in one of the last ones. She starts to comment to people and they realizes there are none left and posts a hopeless comment.

"You saw it coming a mile away" is a meaningless criticism. A character's plot arc doesn't not exist because you can see where it is going. It completely builds her character because the slide towards gradual defeat and an increased emphasis on the Transistor being her last hope is part of her development.

Broken Cog posted:

The difference is that in Bastion you were following The Kid while Rucks told a story in third-person. In Transistor, the sword is with you and comments on what's around you and what you observe, while talking straight to you. I'd almost call it Second-person narrative, which is a bit cool when you think of it, but I feel it hurts Red's role as the main protagonist.

Red is the one driving the plot. At no point does the Transistor actually drive what is going on and at no point does he have the agency in the story. This is driven home repeatedly. One of the first things he does is tell her to "don't go left" which she promptly ignores and the ending is him begging her not to act while he is powerless to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think if you don't like a character, then you don't like a character, I guess.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

ImpAtom posted:

No, Limiters are not enabled during tests.

Well that makes me feel even worse.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. It's in one of the last ones. She starts to comment to people and they realizes there are none left and posts a hopeless comment.
"You saw it coming a mile away" is a meaningless criticism. A character's plot arc doesn't not exist because you can see where it is going. It completely builds her character because the slide towards gradual defeat and an increased emphasis on the Transistor being her last hope is part of her development.
Is this the one in the box office on the way back? The one where you read a post from the news reporter that basically says everyone let the process consume them. I remember the message, but not where you find it. And yeah, in one of the dialogues she literally says "You are all I have left" to the sword. Not all that subtle.

ImpAtom posted:

Red is the one driving the plot. At no point does the Transistor actually drive what is going on and at no point does he have the agency in the story. This is driven home repeatedly. One of the first things he does is tell her to "don't go left" which she promptly ignores and the ending is him begging her not to act while he is powerless to do anything about it.
I didn't say he's the one driving the story at all, what I meant is that he is the second person-view narrator. Red is obviously the main protagonist, and there are a couple of places you can decide not to go along with sword-man(The take-away place for example). Never for anything that actually matters, mind you. It just... doesn't give her any personality. The sword basically just goes "Oh, that's fine too I suppose" if you don't do what he's suggesting. That's all that happens.
For the ending, well, I felt it was dumb, but eh.

I'm not writing this because I hate the game and want to nitpick. I've been thinking about why I didn't enjoy the story that much, and I like analysing things.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So what's the deal with the turqoiseish "ghosts" you see randomly in parts? Are they player "ghosts" like in Dark Souls or are they just there for atmosphere? The way they move (sometimes into deadends) is what makes me think they're player shades.

(last boss)I really liked the fight thematically but did anyone else havbe issues with him taking for loving ever to do his Turn()? I had one part where he moved a few feet, then contemplated for literally 25 seconds before doing his attacks. And alot of times where he'd take a few seconds between each attack set up. Was annoying.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ibram Gaunt posted:

(last boss)I really liked the fight thematically but did anyone else havbe issues with him taking for loving ever to do his Turn()? I had one part where he moved a few feet, then contemplated for literally 25 seconds before doing his attacks. And alot of times where he'd take a few seconds between each attack set up. Was annoying.

I think this is a technical issue. It's probably the AI doing a lot of processing, as he has a much more varied moveset than most of the enemies. I also think they used the same AI for the Agency missions, and therefore it's flexible and supposed to be able to use all abilities, which slows it down.

This is just a theory, but yeah, it kinda ruins the fight a bit.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Broken Cog posted:

Care to give an example of a comment that builds her character? Because I can't really think of anything outside of her obvious dialogues with sword guy.
The only one I can remember at the top of my head is the "I'm gonna break it's heart!" comment she leaves about the spine.

I think that whole sequence is a good example of being shown instead of being told. Sure she types "i'm going to break its heart" but then after a boss battle she DOES it. She really meant it and its one of the more memorable moments in the story

Then there are some story beats that I just.. don't understand what Red is doing.

When shes responding to The Camerata shes asking questions and doesn't seem to be out for blood. And then you don't get to see how she interacts with other people because they died surprise!

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Does the plot here remind anyone else vaguely of the last 1/3 or so of the main quest in Nehrim?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel kind of dumb for not realizing that Transistor's battle system is basically Parasite Eve 2.0 until just this moment. I was trying to think of how to describe it and realized, welp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU&t=492s

'The Spine' has been stuck in my head for like the past 2 days because of this game. The music is so good. It's so good.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Forgive me if I missed it in the last few pages, but is anyone else running into a lot of bugs trying to play this game? I keep trying to get into it, but the bugs are so frequent that it is honestly ruining the entire experience :(.

I've had crashes (black screen, assertion errors) on top of entire turns of combat just breaking. Any time I try to Jaunt more than twice in a turn, the entire turn shits itself. Anyone else running into these issues? I feel like just shelving the game until some fixes come through.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU&t=492s

'The Spine' has been stuck in my head for like the past 2 days because of this game. The music is so good. It's so good.

They seem to have taken the soundtrack off Spotify. I'm so incredibly sad.

I need to actually buy the soundtrack now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

panda clue posted:

Forgive me if I missed it in the last few pages, but is anyone else running into a lot of bugs trying to play this game? I keep trying to get into it, but the bugs are so frequent that it is honestly ruining the entire experience :(.

I've had crashes (black screen, assertion errors) on top of entire turns of combat just breaking. Any time I try to Jaunt more than twice in a turn, the entire turn shits itself. Anyone else running into these issues? I feel like just shelving the game until some fixes come through.

Have you tried a reinstall?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

panda clue posted:

Try turning steam to offline mode, that worked for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of the soundtrack, someone put the warped versions of the tracks on YouTube. Shame they didn't throw them on the end of the OST.

_n C_rcl_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgCUqJ7vlY

V_n_sh_ng P__nt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LRWJYlerbQ

G_ld L__f
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M120kMHbIU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All the fights in the last section were kinda weird for me. I started using Crash() with Jaunt() and Purge() as secondary and stopped using Turn() entirely. I just spammed Crash() and it held whatever I wanted still while very quickly tearing down their health bar.

Have to say this game felt a little too short for it's own good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

All the fights in the last section were kinda weird for me. I started using Crash() with Jaunt() and Purge() as secondary and stopped using Turn() entirely. I just spammed Crash() and it held whatever I wanted still while very quickly tearing down their health bar.

I used Turn() and hit everything with a Crash+Tap+Cull combo while using Jaunt+Switch to make their stupid projectiles eat each other.

The fact that everyone says the combat is broken but they all seem to have a different idea of how it's broken is a point in its favor, I think.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kind of wish I'd picked Void(?) instead of the AOE nuke. :(

Holy crap though to Haircuts hit like freight trains, like what the gently caress.

What combos do people like using Breach() with? It's one of the abilities I've liked but I can't figure out what works well on it to the point I'm satisfied. Do you guys use it as a primary, or secondary? same for Crash().

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Holy crap though to Haircuts hit like freight trains, like what the gently caress.

You can use a ranged weapon like ping or purge with jaunt to kill them without taking damage.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Have you tried a reinstall?

Fangz posted:

Try turning steam to offline mode, that worked for me.

I'll try both of these, thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Kind of wish I'd picked Void(?) instead of the AOE nuke. :(

What combos do people like using Breach() with? It's one of the abilities I've liked but I can't figure out what works well on it to the point I'm satisfied. Do you guys use it as a primary, or secondary? same for Crash().

Haircuts are just glorified bombs. You can set them off before they hit you with an attack.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Jaunt+Purge+Flood makes you spit out like 6 purges when you jaunt for some reason and wipes out any small enemies there are, and really helps with haircuts.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Woah, NG+ mode is kind of crazy. I love it. I rely mostly on backstabs and then an aoe I can spam at weeds or badcells.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Veev posted:

Jaunt+Purge+Flood makes you spit out like 6 purges when you jaunt for some reason and wipes out any small enemies there are, and really helps with haircuts.
Yeah this is a combo I settled with after opting to drop Switch from Jaunt. Thanks for the tips but I figured it out. I dropped Ping from one of my upgrades to a primary to help deal with them quickly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ularg posted:

They seem to have taken the soundtrack off Spotify. I'm so incredibly sad.

I need to actually buy the soundtrack now.

http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/album/transistor-original-soundtrack it's on Bandcamp.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah, to take on Men, I would basically single them out then spam Crash()+[Jaunt(), Spark()] which stunlocked them very easily.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Using Switch() on Cheerleaders makes you invulnerable for 6 seconds. :allears:

Jaunt(Switch) is also really nice for getting rid of haircuts - if you time it at the last second it charms the haircut which them promptly does a :happyelf: into whatever Process are nearby.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
gently caress, I wanted to like this so much but it's kind of disappointing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

gently caress, I wanted to like this so much but it's kind of disappointing.

It's an unfortunate fact of human nature that those two things are related.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, I feel as though I would like this game a bit better if bastion didn't knock it out of the goddamn park when it came out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And people called me an idiot when I said I was deliberately doiwnplaying the game in my head to avoid hype backlash. Who's laughing now? It's me!

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
My endgame strat was summoning the backstab doggie (<3 that thing) and spamming damage/aoe poo poo, usually something like void w/ purge and other stuff.

Seriously though, Tap + Breach is insanely good. It's a long rage, spammable aoe nuke with lifesteal; I'll nominate it as one of the better attacks in the game period.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 24, 2014

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

repiv posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, someone put the warped versions of the tracks on YouTube. Shame they didn't throw them on the end of the OST.

_n C_rcl_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgCUqJ7vlY

V_n_sh_ng P__nt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LRWJYlerbQ

G_ld L__f
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M120kMHbIU

Oh thank God. When In Circles transitioned to the distorted version near the end of that fight I was got chills. I was pretty disappointed the official soundtrack didn't have it.

Now we just need someone to post some humming versions of the actual songs and I'll be totally happy.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Just beat the game the first time, is there a difference which fork you pick in the last area? I felt like I missed something with how the ending got sprung on me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

WarpedLichen posted:

Just beat the game the first time, is there a difference which fork you pick in the last area? I felt like I missed something with how the ending got sprung on me.

There are just a few terminals you missed. Same kind of generic crap as all the late game ones, nothing interesting.

Now that I'm done with the game, I'm even more puzzled how the team that produced Bastion managed to produce this game. Bastion is such a triumph of game design that its only flaw (idols destroy the weapon balance) stands out like a sore thumb because everything else is very focused and polished. Transistor is just a (bad) story with some really pretty art gated by an overly complicated but shallow turn based RPG system. They actually had more time to spend on Transistor, more experience as a team, and yet they produced something that is worse in every way outside of art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because you're misremembering Bastion and have built it up as a near-flawless game in your mind as opposed to the fact that it is a very good game but not sheer perfection. Bastion is one of my favorite games ever but the idea that is has only a single flaw is ridiculous.

The idea that the combat system is shallow when every other person who talks about how they broke the game does so by suggesting a different set of skills and abilities is pretty silly. It is an easy game without Limiters but so is Bastion. The thing both games did well is that you can pick basically any selection of things you want to fit your playstyle and succeed.

I like Bastion. Frankly, I like it more than I liked Transistor and one of the things Transistor did was make me want to go back and play Bastion, but it feels like people went into Transistor with both inflated expectations and an odd sense of Bastion being not just a great game but Gaming Nirvana Brought Down From Heaven and those expectations lead to expecting something it could never live up to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 24, 2014

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The combat system didn't feel shallow to me at all. The problem is that they give you a ton of toys to play with in arenas that didn't force you to experiment. You can pick almost any combo of high damage functions and steam roll through the normal game. Enemy attacks were way too hard to dodge with movement but incredibly easy to face tank.

If the regular game contained scenarios like the ones you see in planning challenges or the last stability challenge, the game as a whole would be much improved. The optional fight with the 6 sisters using all the limiters I had the first time through was a lot of fun. It's just a pity the rest of the game wasn't like that.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Played for 2-3 hours last night, today I had no save game. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe part of why I liked this game so much is that I did *not* like Bastion so much. To me this game is, in so far as it can be compared to Bastion at all, really good at fixing the fundamental problems I had with the previous game.

For example, the broken skills system that asked you to predict what type of weapon is desirable for a level, thus discouraging experimentation. The bullshit 'run out of lives? Restart the level' system for dealing with death. The annoyance of certain enemy types, and the repetitive nature of combat otherwise. The utter narrative stupidity of what the later parts of the game force you to do, if you weren't going for the reset ending. I guess this is subjective, and it didn't help that my reflexes suck for Bastion's type of gameplay, and that I was hyped up for the game before hand by all the glowing coverage... but really I don't identify with this idea of Bastion being perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Did they run out of money or something at the third act? I make it to the last guy thinking I'm going to get some answers, and then there's a fight, and that's it? Nothing was explained or resolved at all. Not even complaining about the ending itself, that kind of made sense, but there's all this plot and environment built up and it goes absolutely nowhere. It's like as if Bastion ended after you got the last blue crystal.

Especially some of the floating tv's dialogue led me to believe that Red herself was going to be revealed as The Process, especially when he offhandedly remarked on how they managed to get the city to "sing in harmony" with the process. I was getting all riled up over that because it seemed like a lame twist, but it didn't even happen. Instead, nothing happened.

Does NG+ add on to the story or anything?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread