Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dely Apple posted:

If you aren't drinking Jameson out of a flask to get through the day then I don't know how you face the fact that you post here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Saltin posted:

Picked up a bottle of that a while back, it's weaksauce for a bourbon.

What you ducking human being do you drink diesel fuel for breakfast? Basil Hayden's is god drat delicious it's got the perfect balance of oak and burn.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

What you ducking human being do you drink diesel fuel for breakfast? Basil Hayden's is god drat delicious it's got the perfect balance of oak and burn.

It doesn't taste bad but it's ain't got no burn so I would suggest if you think it does it is you who art the human being.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
says the dude who used weaksauce unironically

basil hayden is good

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

thehacker0 posted:

Has anyone mentioned:

I once bought this as an alternative to Bulleitt, and wasn't impressed. I found it to be syrupy and oversweet.

I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace when the Hayden was finished and was much happier. I also quite like Baker's, though I haven't found it for sale where I live.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

fisting by many posted:

i had this cinnamon whiskey that wasn't fireball that was really good and I can't remember what it was called now so I looked it up and it was called Spicebox

so uh try that

I mean fireball isn't bad, in fact it's good to drink and get drunk from, but this stuff is much better.

the evan williams cinnamon is probably the best, but the fireball tastes better in apple cider.

seriously though, mix any not terrible cinnamon whiskey with apple cider (or better yet, sparkling apple cider) and you get one of the best things i've ever had for an outdoor, cold tailgate. the only thing that compares is baileys/kahlua and hot cocoa.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

NotAnArtist posted:

I once bought this as an alternative to Bulleitt, and wasn't impressed. I found it to be syrupy and oversweet.

I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace when the Hayden was finished and was much happier. I also quite like Baker's, though I haven't found it for sale where I live.

Bulleit is my go-to usually(along with knob creek) as its reasonably priced and pretty good, but I feel that Basil Haydens is on another level.

On another note, anyone like:

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"
The best scotch I ever drank was Port Ellen, maybe 25 yo, can't remember the specific name. I think it was part of a small batch made specifically for a finnish distributor. Really made everything else I had ever tasted pale in comparison.

Of the Islay scotches I like Lagavulin and Ardbeg.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

JW Black, which isn't intended to actually be tasted.

jw black is fine you baby

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Bushmills is pretty good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

klaivu posted:

The best scotch I ever drank was Port Ellen, maybe 25 yo, can't remember the specific name. I think it was part of a small batch made specifically for a finnish distributor. Really made everything else I had ever tasted pale in comparison.

Of the Islay scotches I like Lagavulin and Ardbeg.

Yeah it's a shame Port Ellen closed, and now their older bottles are super-expensive to get ahold of.

Back in, oh, I think 1999 or 2000, I went to the Whiskies of the World Expo in San Francisco with a friend of mine who is way more into whisky than I am. It's an amazing experience and well worth the money. You get to wander around tasting dozens of really nice whiskies; they don't hold back, you get to try the best stuff they have. There was also a pretty amazing buffet. It did not feel especially snobby (we didn't dress up or anything, just jeans and t-shirts) but we were treated with respect anyway.

There's this famous whisky writer/taster guy named Michael Jackson, he was there giving talks, and we also got to try a very small measure of Napoleon brandy which was pretty great too.

The one problem was that after about a dozen tastings, the palette starts to get numb and you can't really taste the different flavors much any more, so if you do go, make sure you try the ones you're really interested in first.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
brown liquor tends to taste roughly the same to me

sue me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

thehacker0 posted:

Bulleit is my go-to usually(along with knob creek) as its reasonably priced and pretty good, but I feel that Basil Haydens is on another level.

On another note, anyone like:

lol no. its forgettable as gently caress, and only coasting by on that COLORODAO NATIVE "cred" idiots here go nuts over

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Execu-speak posted:

Lagavulin 16.

close thread

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006

dkj posted:

they all taste the loving same

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh sure, opinions about whisky from "hypersober."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like Speyburn. It's cheap in the USA too.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Postin my whiskey assortment

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Copley Depot posted:

Postin my whiskey assortment

not a huge fan of the woodford (its not bad its also just not particularly remarkable) or the angel's envy. The EC and KC are pretty dang good though. Honestly the EC 12 is about one of the best bourbons for your dollar I've had.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
jack daniels
jim beam for bourbon

don't care that its surface

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
old crow , with a kroger brand 2 liter

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
I would have posted something snarky, but I just realized it isn't even 5:00 PM and I am drinking cheap vodka and Minute Maid fruit punch out of a free glass from McDonalds.

Enjoy being able to enjoy your whiskey kids.

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

My personal favorite. Just the right balance of peat, honey-sweetness, spice, and fruit notes. Delicious, imho.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

I don't have quite the whisky collection of a couple of youse guys though I prob have the most liquor of any goon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bulleit is barely a bourbon. And I don't mean that as an insult! It's really loving good, because it's barely a bourbon. The mash has the bare minimum percentage of corn, with a lot more rye to make up the difference. It's why it's got that great blend of sweet and spicy. Mmm, tasty.

Though when I have the money, I go for Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Too bad I never have the money these days. :smith:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
bought some Chivas 18 for the first time becuase of this thread and holy poo poo it's good stuff, even if it aint American

eSports Chaebol posted:

I don't have quite the whisky collection of a couple of youse guys though I prob have the most liquor of any goon
i have that same shelf

in my garage

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

eSports Chaebol posted:

there are guys in the whisky thread in gws who have wildly expensive collections, I don't read that thread anymore because it makes me flail around on the floor

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Most of my whiskey drinking is slow sipping on some Bulleit Rye. But if I'm mixing or just feel like drinking bourbon, I'll roll with something cheap, usually Evan or Benchmark, maybe Jim.

skunkape.info
Apr 30, 2014
brandy lol thats what they drink on Archer so its cool

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

skunkape.info posted:

brandy lol thats what they drink on Archer so its cool

If you want to be cool drink pays d'auge calvados instead of cognac

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tanqeray

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Haverchuck posted:

there are guys in the whisky thread in gws who have wildly expensive collections, I don't read that thread anymore because it makes me flail around on the floor

my rule is i buy one $100-$200 bottle per year. It's still cheaper than being a beer snob

So far
Laphroaig 18
Port Charlotte 7
Old Pulteney 21
Nikka Yoichi 15

No regrets

e;: the next will prob be one of the crazy Ardbegs (I do love Uaigedail or however the gently caress you spell it)

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

I like Laphroaig it tastes like meat as all whisky should.

First post that makes sense in this thread.

Would also suggest "Rowan's Creek" Bourbon for a smooth, buttery experience.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Wild Turkey 101.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
MacAllan and Highland Park are my absolute favorites but Evan Williams is what I buy, cause it's pro-tier bourbon for a scrub-tier price. I'm also partial to Johnnie Walker Red because Christina Hendricks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

MacAllan and Highland Park are my absolute favorites but Evan Williams is what I buy, cause it's pro-tier bourbon for a scrub-tier price. I'm also partial to Johnnie Walker Red because Christina Hendricks.

The price-to-quality ratio of Evan Williams really can't be overstated. Especially if you're mixing it, but it's still as good or better than Jack for 10 bucks less.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Evan Williams and the EW single barrel are both really good quality for price, imo

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Maker's Mark is my favorite. I'd recommend Collingwood 21 Year :canada: and Nikka :japan: too.

Jack Daniels is garbage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jack Daniels is worth keeping on hand so that guests who want to mix whiskey with coke or something can do so with a cheap bourbon and not your good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Leperflesh posted:

Jack Daniels is worth keeping on hand so that guests who want to mix whiskey with coke or something can do so with a cheap bourbon and not your good stuff.

come on dude.

• Locked thread