Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I thought the weapons factory fortress was a three percenter thing and Beckistan was Celebration Florida for the tea party.

Beckistan was basically going to be the ultra Americana and Christianity of Columbia from bioshock infinite and the objectivism of galts gultch mixed together in a city/theme park/ tourist trap. so basically it would be a burning shithole in less then hour.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...blow-your-mind/

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I thought the weapons factory fortress was a three percenter thing and Beckistan was Celebration Florida for the tea party.

Correct, although Beck did plan an having industry in his version. His place was more like Galt's Gulch for idiots.

edit, what pengun101 said.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 24, 2014

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Carolla, aka the half of the Man-Show that never moved on.

I think he was the one that never knew the show was a parody of people as dumb as him.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pengun101 posted:

Beckistan was basically going to be the ultra Americana and Christianity of Columbia from bioshock infinite and the objectivism of galts gultch mixed together in a city/theme park/ tourist trap. so basically it would be a burning shithole in less then hour.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...blow-your-mind/

The chronicles of Independence was a magical thread. :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

But this seems to be another example of Democrats shooting themselves in the foot. The proposed amendment, as I understand it, says that Congress can regulate political money. Why don't they simply propose an amendment that says, "money is not speech"? How hard is that? That simple phrase guts the right on any type of freedom of speech soap box.

Because your proposal makes no sense, legally. It leaves open room for other ways to justify no spending restrictions.

(And money is speech in practice. Franklin can persuade in a few seconds what most people can't manage in years of debate)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

agarjogger posted:

Idk we seem to talk about this guy an awful, awful lot. I only had to hear about his desire for private trash service twice before I turned his rear end off. I guess it's cute, like my dad would be cute saying that stuff.

Carolla was kind of a slow striptease eventually revealing an rear end in a top hat. Early in his career he wasn't political very often, and if he was it was in support of things like abortion, the morning after pill, and sex education. Then after he started making a lot of money he became really insufferable, and that's when he started being a lot more unapologetic about his FYGM attitude. If you dig through the Loveline archives you can find traces of it, but it was probably like twice a year or something he'd go on a rant with some right wing "common sense" stuff in it. After he got his own morning show around 2006 it became once a month, and then now on his podcast stuff it is drat near every show.

We talk about him because a lot of us grew up with him on Loveline where he actually gave some decent advice when he bothered to take calls. Now he's just a shell of what used to make him great, and he doesn't seem to care much.

Also, as per the title of this thread, he's on O'Reilly when they can't get Dennis Miller sometimes. Glenn Beck also mentioned being a fan of his. So a lot of us are just kid of marveling that someone who seemed so reasonable when we were young is now fodder for a thread like this. It's kind of like schadenfreude.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't get how someone so young can be so enamored with Cruz. Sure, she gets paid to work for him, but holy hell.

Look, pay me enough money and I'll run his Twitter page with very sincere-appearing enthusiasm.

Admittedly, that's probably a multiple of what she's getting paid, but still! Similarly, being a somewhat major staffer for a Senator is a pretty sweet gig, even if it's the Senator hated by all of the other Senators not named Mike Lee.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A thing literally said by Rush Limbaugh.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Do I understand correctly that establishment republicans did very well in the Primaries, beating out many Tea Bagger challengers from the right?
If so, how is that going over?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
NPR ran an article this morning basically declaring the Tea Party dead and asking what the hell their deal is.

But I'm sure Cruz, Palin, Rubio and the rest will still be making news

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hazo posted:

A thing literally said by Rush Limbaugh.

It's perfect double speak because by his own logic right now, nobody can ever possibly be a racist. Limbaugh has talked in the past about how racism is like thought crime, and you can't punish someone for their thoughts. Now he's talking about how you can't judge someone by their actions because "you can never know their heart" or some poo poo. So therefore there is literally no way to decide what racism is. That's really convenient!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do I understand correctly that establishment republicans did very well in the Primaries, beating out many Tea Bagger challengers from the right?

Mostly because establishment republicans ran on platforms indistinguishable from their tea party challengers.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Laminator posted:

NPR ran an article this morning basically declaring the Tea Party dead and asking what the hell their deal is.

Oh boy, the T.E.A. "party" is dead, reason will rule again in America!

It's sad that even NPR is failing to point out that the Tea Party was simply the latest moniker for the corporate marketing campaign that was previously known by such names as: The Silent Majority, The Moral Majority, The Values Party, Compassionate Conservatism, and so on and on and on. gently caress this stupid place.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've just found this FM station that plays Mark Levin! The 10 minutes I got a chance to listen to were fantastic. He's going for it. I've never listened to him on the radio before, just a few clips on the internet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Laminator posted:

Link please, I have someone I would like to share that with.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So who will be the first conservative media personality of Republican politician to openly insult this man?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/05/24/nr-california-shooting-victims-father-press-conference.cnn.html

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who will be the first conservative media personality of Republican politician to openly insult this man?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/05/24/nr-california-shooting-victims-father-press-conference.cnn.html

They'll probably be patronizing at first, "He's overly emotional", but if after a day he continues to go after the gun lobby they won't hesitate to bring out the knives.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel he made it short and angrily dismissive at the end because he knows like the rest of us that his anger will be swept under the carpet and ignored as it was after Sandy Hook. There's really no other words that can be said about this than what he said there though too. Sandy Hook should have brought about change. It didn't. More people are dying, and it's not stopping.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
If his son had two guns this wouldn't have happened.

JDee
Nov 27, 2006
goon

Post 9-11 User posted:

If his son had two guns this wouldn't have happened.

His son is a gigantic pussy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Spacedad posted:

I feel he made it short and angrily dismissive at the end because he knows like the rest of us that his anger will be swept under the carpet and ignored as it was after Sandy Hook. There's really no other words that can be said about this than what he said there though too. Sandy Hook should have brought about change. It didn't. More people are dying, and it's not stopping.

The fact that Sandy Hook didn't change anything is always baffling to me. If 20 little white girls getting shot cant change things I don't think anything will.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On the other hand if we can get more nerds laid it seems like we can cut down on like 25% of mass shootings.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The_Rob posted:

The fact that Sandy Hook didn't change anything is always baffling to me. If 20 little white girls getting shot cant change things I don't think anything will.

NRA Sets 1,000 Killed In School Shooting As Amount It Would Take For Them To Reconsider Much Of Anything

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

ReindeerF posted:

On the other hand if we can get more nerds laid it seems like we can cut down on like 25% of mass shootings.

Yes, but would that be worth it?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

I doubt giving a deranged individual a target to focus all his delusional violent rage against women on would have helped.

He thought of sex as some kind of sick power struggle - whoever he got laid by would have been likely to become another violence against women statistic.

The_Rob posted:

It's not baffling to me. The firearms industry and NRA are extraordinarily powerful. They spent a lot of money spreading misinformation and influencing politicians to stop everything and shut everyone up.

The parent is right to be as enraged as he is. He is likely to never see anything come of this, at least not while politics is the way it is in the US.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 25, 2014

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Spacedad posted:

I doubt giving a deranged individual a target to focus all his delusional violent rage against women on would have helped.

He thought of sex as some kind of sick power struggle - whoever he got laid by would have been likely to become another violence against women statistic.

It's not baffling to me. The firearms industry and NRA are extraordinarily powerful. They spent a lot of money spreading misinformation and influencing politicians to stop everything and shut everyone up.

The parent is right to be as enraged as he is. He is likely to never see anything come of this, at least not while politics is the way it is in the US.

My point is if little white girls can't change policy anymore what hope does America have for anything.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Oh they do change policy - they were used by the NRA to foster fears of 'gun-grabbing' to actually roll back gun control.

Nothing is going to change - even if we have a big Anders Breivik-sized massacre - until the fundamental structure of the firearms industry, lobby, and NRA is severely financially crippled in some manner.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 25, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I think the only hope (sadly) is for these open carry idiots to push too hard, step over the line and cause some kind of unnecessary bloodbath. The more people give in to them the more emboldened they become, and the less concerned they are with letting their stupid behavior show in public. Their own overreach seems to be the only thing that's going to hurt their cause. Random nutters shooting up schools is one thing, but a bloody situation instigated by people directly connected with the NRA/open carry movement is something else.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Possibly dumb question, but for everyone complaining about how Obama didn't know about the poo poo going on in the VA, and only found out cause of the media, isn't it also important to note that NOBODY else knew about this poo poo until it got reported? That includes all the Republicans in congress.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mr Interweb posted:

Possibly dumb question, but for everyone complaining about how Obama didn't know about the poo poo going on in the VA, and only found out cause of the media, isn't it also important to note that NOBODY else knew about this poo poo until it got reported? That includes all the Republicans in congress.

Wouldn't they already know and not consider it an issue because they defunded it in the first place? Its only an issue now because its something of their own making and they have to try to stick it to Obama before it sticks to them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Gawker: Fox News Wonders About UCSB Shooter's Homosexual Impulses

Well, gently caress everything.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ah yes, Fox News - do tell us without any evidence whatsoever how this mass murderer might be a homosexual dolchstoss.

People need to understand the Fox News is the modern American reincarnation of Der Sturmer, and will try to insert demonization of minorities into literally everything.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I thought homosexuality was a life choice. Is FOX actually implying these were impulses he had no control over? Goodness.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, gently caress everything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spacedad posted:

Oh they do change policy - they were used by the NRA to foster fears of 'gun-grabbing' to actually roll back gun control.

Nothing is going to change - even if we have a big Anders Breivik-sized massacre - until the fundamental structure of the firearms industry, lobby, and NRA is severely financially crippled in some manner.

What we need is national public mental health care and a general agreement by the media to stop reporting on and sensationalizing mass shootings.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What we need is national public mental health care and a general agreement by the media to stop reporting on and sensationalizing mass shootings.

I actually agree because it's been proven that media coverage of mass shootings leads to copycat shootings.

The gun control issue is closely tied to this as well, because better mental health coverage means there will be better communication regarding firearm regulation for people diagnosed with mental illness.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 25, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
National mental health care can't do poo poo one for people who refuse to admit they have a problem to begin with. This wacko in California was not hurting for money to get mental health treatment if he had so chosen to do so.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It's also really unfair to blame everything on mental illness though - the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of gun violence (because they are more vulnerable) and less likely to be perpetrators of it.

The shooter in this instance could also have been more or less a psychopath who wasn't mentally impaired enough to not be responsible for his own actions - as many mass shooters and even serial killers often are.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Install Windows posted:

National mental health care can't do poo poo one for people who refuse to admit they have a problem to begin with. This wacko in California was not hurting for money to get mental health treatment if he had so chosen to do so.

I can't find the link right now, but I read just a few hours ago that the guy's family had been pushing really hard to get him mental help - taking him to therapists, getting drugs, etc - and he just refused it all. National Mental Healthcare (although about as much of a pipe dream as robust gun regulation) is good in the broad strokes, but I don't know that it could have changed this particular story much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Spacedad posted:

Hell, people are still raising poo poo about Sandy Hook http://wtnh.com/2014/05/08/peace-sign-stolen-memorial-playground/