Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Sedisp posted:

How are so many of you playing early?

Dodgey retailers giving away copies early, I'll be joining them in about 9 hours :).

DareToSlack posted:

Game shipped early a bunch of places (And apparently will activate just fine if you use uPlay in offline mode?) and has leaked onto :filez: sites.

Just looked and yeah, in a couple of hours it'll likely be the most popular game torrent which although not unexpected, I didn't expect it to happen so drat quick.

Obsidius fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VarXX posted:

Do you have an Nvidia card? Try these drivers

Seems to have fixed it, although it could still be a memory leak that takes time to come into effect.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Naturally Selected posted:

Did you take Saints Row 4 seriously?

100% so.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
edit: nvm

VarXX fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2014

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

VarXX posted:

Some people at guru3d found something hidden in the configs of the pc version. Specifically a setting called DeferredFxQuality that is set to "console" by default. When changed to "pc" it makes the game look like this.

Except according to the article changing the settings didn't actually do anything??

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Ataru13 posted:

Except according to the article changing the settings didn't actually do anything??

Welp. Missed that bit :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

VarXX posted:

Some people at guru3d found something hidden in the configs of the pc version. Specifically a setting called DeferredFxQuality that is set to "console" by default. When changed to "pc" it makes the game look like this.

Neogaf's found that the option doesn't do much and those pictures are from someone who downsampled the game from a 4k resolution. So if you have the hardware to do that it really does look amazing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this gonna be like Assassin's Creed or GTA where there are a million weapons but functionally there is no reason to use them?

Eventually you will just use the best in class weapon, yes. The only barrier to that is money/progress.

VarXX posted:

edit: nvm

Yeah that's downsampled.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Someone should paste a shibe dog over the protagonists face and change the text to watch dogges.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Why is there a wave of doubt going on about Watch Dogs? I know some people are saucy about the graphics thing(Which I understand, but don't necessarily care about myself), but everything I have seen about the game just makes it look like an all around solid open-world experience.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Evil Canadian posted:

Why is there a wave of doubt going on about Watch Dogs? I know some people are saucy about the graphics thing(Which I understand, but don't necessarily care about myself), but everything I have seen about the game just makes it look like an all around solid open-world experience.

Game hipsters. Not even kidding.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

WindmillSlayer posted:

Someone should paste a shibe dog over the protagonists face and change the text to watch dogges.

Best I could find on such a short notice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

"Oh poo poo, it might just be GTA with hacking, not the second coming of crimeboxes!"

Well, yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can't believe i'm about to say this but maybe a patch will come out that improves the graphics. I mean hey, it happened for Assassins Creed IV on PS4.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So: Digital Trips don't actually unlock anything that I can tell, they are literally just something to have fun with in the game. Fortunately they are actually, well, fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Eventually you will just use the best in class weapon, yes. The only barrier to that is money/progress.
No, I mean, is there any point to upgrading or using any other than the starting weapons? In AC and GTA, the starting weapons make the enemies just as dead as endgame weapons.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

So: Digital Trips don't actually unlock anything that I can tell,

They only have unlocks for their specific Digital Trip scenario from what I've seen. So no one is obligated to do any of them for character power progression. A not often explored avenue as far as my memory serves.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I can confirm that "You're such a goon" is an exact phrase that an NPC texts to another NPC that says "I want to stab someone just to see what it feels like".

GOTY

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Best I could find on such a short notice.

Thank you lots!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Speedball posted:

So: Digital Trips don't actually unlock anything that I can tell, they are literally just something to have fun with in the game. Fortunately they are actually, well, fun.

The one on the Hannah/Kim videos unlocked a new outfit at the very end of it. Otherwise it was just skills for use in that trip.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Watch_Dogs looks alright but the forced RTS sections seem really tacked-on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, I mean, is there any point to upgrading or using any other than the starting weapons? In AC and GTA, the starting weapons make the enemies just as dead as endgame weapons.

Oh, yeah the top tier weapons are a significant bump over the starters but either will kill dudes plenty.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hezzy posted:

This game runs like arse even on lower settings. I've got a ridiculous rig and it's struggling. Some serious optimisation issues

Bet it's gonna run just fine on the XBone. :shobon:

Evil Canadian posted:

PC gamers (master race) are inherent nihilists.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

circ dick soleil posted:

Watch_Dogs looks alright but the forced RTS sections seem really tacked-on.

Uh... what? Mind elaborating? This is the first I've heard of this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Oh, yeah the top tier weapons are a significant bump over the starters but either will kill dudes plenty.
To me, weapons bigger than a handgun seem antithetical to a game like this in the same way that weapons other than the hidden blade are to AC. GTA and SR get away with this by being candy colored silliness (the latter more so than the former) but this doesn't look like that kind of game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saw this elsewhere on the internet.

Sometimes completely randomized occupation/quirks can be fun!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Evil Canadian posted:

It's because people actually played it.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
Yeah the game is just okay. I would not recommend paying full price for it.

Incredibly floaty driving mechanics, plus a horrid camera for driving

Cheating NPCS (especially in the chase side missions)

Clunky gunplay

Story takes itself way to serious

Free-running is atrocious. This is incredibly disappointing considering its a Ubisoft game.

With so many other new releases out right now I cannot, in good faith, recommend this game.

Palpek posted:

Goons in this thread will praise it because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase and this is a hugbox. Opinions take a nose-dive once you read them in other threads/not here. Nobody says it's a bad game mind you, just that it's mostly uninspired and people stop caring after 3-4 hours and go back to more engaging titles.

This is spot on.

w00tuberjedi fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 24, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

So far a lot of people who have played it seem to enjoy it. It's pretty much just goons who watched the trailers that say its bad.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Palpek posted:

Ok then, what's wrong? I have seen a lot of complaining not a lot of explanation about what mechanics are bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sedisp posted:

So far a lot of people who have played it seem to enjoy it. It's pretty much just goons who watched the trailers that say its bad.
Goons in this thread will praise it because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase and this is a hugbox. Opinions take a nose-dive once you read them in other threads/not here. Nobody says it's a bad game mind you, just that it's mostly uninspired and people stop caring after 3-4 hours and go back to more engaging titles.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

So I finally got around to watching that 15 minute gameplay trailer...

This looks like Person of Interest The Game.

marjorie posted:

I don't know if this was brought up in the other thread, or if anyone even watches the show besides me, but I'm getting a "Person of Interest (that show with the Ben Linus guy)" vibe, too.

:hfive:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of goons have this weird Ubisoft vendetta born from being bad at Assassin's Creed games, so it's hard to tell what's a real opinion.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

Is this in opinion born from playing it?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
The guns all kick like loving crazy and the driving is really floaty, but other than that the game is pretty drat good. It's not going to get you 100+ hours of fun, but it should last most people 20-30 hours before getting too boring/repetitive. The story, while an Ubisoft story, is really not that loving bad. The hacking doesn't make me groan and want to turn it off, at least.

Only major complaint I can pull out right now is that ghosting missions doesn't give any extra rewards, so there's pretty much no reason to not go apeshit and kill folks.

Sedisp posted:

Is this in opinion born from playing it?

Video game hipsters, dude. It's an opinion formed from "people like this and are looking forward to it, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE"

E: It's no Grand Theft Auto, or even Saints Row, but it's a very solid title for a new IP. The inevitable sequel should be pretty great.

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of goons have this weird Ubisoft vendetta born from being bad at Assassin's Creed games, so it's hard to tell what's a real opinion.
More like, I recognize that they can make great games and awful games alternating one after another and it is often not obvious from pre-release stuff which is which, so I'm trying to figure out which one this is.

Also they'll get good reviews either way so that's not helpful either.

edit:

quote:

It's no Grand Theft Auto, or even Saints Row
What does it mean if I think SR >>> GTA, and that GTA is a pretty low standard for this kind of game, mechanics and story-wise?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 24, 2014

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi

Azurrat posted:

The guns all kick like loving crazy and the driving is really floaty, but other than that the game is pretty drat good. It's not going to get you 100+ hours of fun, but it should last most people 20-30 hours before getting too boring/repetitive. The story, while an Ubisoft story, is really not that loving bad. The hacking doesn't make me groan and want to turn it off, at least.

Only major complaint I can pull out right now is that ghosting missions doesn't give any extra rewards, so there's pretty much no reason to not go apeshit and kill folks.

Video game hipsters, dude. It's an opinion formed from "people like this and are looking forward to it, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE"

E: It's no Grand Theft Auto, or even Saints Row, but it's a very solid title for a new IP. The inevitable sequel should be pretty great.

I dunno man. When a good majority of the gameplay revolves around guns and driving, both of those need to be solid, which, unfortunately, they are not. If open world games are your thing, you can do much better than this. poo poo, Lego Marvel Heroes does open world gameplay better than this. I'm about 5 hours in and already I have lost any desire to play it. And yes, the story is atrocious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Azurrat posted:

Sometimes opinions are just opinions, I heard those from people who were really looking forward to this title and got disappointed when they actually tried the game. Your far-fetching assumptions read very defensive though.

I still hope I'll have some fun with it but in the light of what people are describing I'm getting rid of any positive expectations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The driving mechanics in this game are loving terrible. Like, I want to emphasize how bad they are. I haven't seen driving this bad in a video game in a long time. And of course some of the campaign missions are driving missions, which can be a total pain in the rear end to pull off because of how lovely the car handling feels.

And so far the story has been completely forgettable. I don't care about a single character so far. I'm only a couple hours in, though. Maybe that'll change the further I get into it?

This game has the potential to look really goddamn nice. I started out playing at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed, because that's my native res and most other games do just fine at those settings because I have a GTX 770 4GB and it's no slouch. And the game looked reeeally nice, but the framerate was wildly inconsistent so I bumped it down to 1080 and it's doing better with that.

If you were planning to play this on a console, I'd suggest you rent it, not buy it. Well, unless you rent it and really dig it. Then buy it I guess. So far, the only thing the game really has going for it in my opinion is its looks. The game mechanics are....well, they're okay. They're not garbage but they're not fantastic either. Except for the driving. The driving is straight up awful. Hacking is kind of cool but that seems to be the only real interesting mechanic here, and while you can do cool stuff with it, I don't think it's enough to support a whole game. And unless you're a sucker for lovely sci-fi game plots, I doubt you'll get attached to the story/characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Exactly what is so terrible about the driving? What would you compare it to?

The only open-world driving I would call crap was GTAIV's (not counting joke entries like Deadly Premonition), so I don't have much basis of comparison.

• Locked thread