Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Yeah. At the risk of sounding dense, can you elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

FamDav posted:

do they do multiple challenges at each level? i can see making a bigger challenge look smaller, but not a smaller challenge look bigger.

I think he means the ones like say this season's where each team had to have someone hang onto a pole while two members of the other team have to drag them out of the field. I think we saw it as a best of 3 but they might have done more rounds that they didn't bother to show due to time/not being dramatic enough. So the end result of which team wins is the same but we don't see some of the rounds and rather than address this, the show pretends that it was just a best out of 3.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
oh yeah that i knew. I confused myself into thinking it meant the number of players remaining.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
In particular, they always cut away from Jeff right before he says the number in a statement like "this will be a best of three challenge*. It always cuts to a reaction shot of the contestants. I understand why they do it, it's just annoying once you notice.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Really, Naonka and Purple Kelly? REALLY?!

700 new posts that I want to read because Cagayan was great, but I'm still complaining about Nicaragua. I had hoped to be all caught up by Cagayan's end. :(

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rick posted:

I hate the way Survivor does the family stuff, and the way they use "love" as a noun and I always fast forward through it all. So I thought I would hate B/V, but it was actually really good. I'm not totally sure I'm ready for another one so soon but what the heck, why not.

Sounds like you've been out on the island for a long time and could really use some love from home. :glomp:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Love from home with all the fixins.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rick posted:

I hate the way Survivor does the family stuff, and the way they use "love" as a noun and I always fast forward through it all. So I thought I would hate B/V, but it was actually really good. I'm not totally sure I'm ready for another one so soon but what the heck, why not.

Love IS a noun :colbert:

Also I think Blood versus Water redux isn't coming too soon, both because it's all new players, and also because they'll likely actually do the blood/water tribe split and keep the loved ones together, unlike last time.

Not stoked about more redemption island, but I guess you can't win them all. It would be fun if it actually ended up impacting the game, rather than Rupert grandstanding and the newbies conceding that their veteran loved ones had a stronger shot at the game and staying on redemption.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shakugan posted:

Love from home with all the fixins.

Furnished by CharminTM.

And its antonym is indifference.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I think that you guys who are expecting the loved ones not to be split up are batshit crazy. The whole element of how people react or shift their votes based on loved ones on the other tribe is 99% of what made BvW1 so successful. Doing something as simple as Survivor:teams of 2 would not have the same impact, and I think it is certainly to soon to deviate from the split up formula that worked before. A small change like an all new cast is all that is required for BvW2 to work so soon after the first one, assuming the cast doesn't suck.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Spyshack or Casa de Charmin?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fenris13 posted:

I think that you guys who are expecting the loved ones not to be split up are batshit crazy. The whole element of how people react or shift their votes based on loved ones on the other tribe is 99% of what made BvW1 so successful. Doing something as simple as Survivor:teams of 2 would not have the same impact, and I think it is certainly to soon to deviate from the split up formula that worked before. A small change like an all new cast is all that is required for BvW2 to work so soon after the first one, assuming the cast doesn't suck.

Except the split with loved ones on the same tribe was the original plan until RC and her dad had to drop out and get replaced with the most boring couple ever. I think it could lead to interesting voting strategies in the run-up to the merge.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mercaptopropyl posted:

This would immediately go down as my favorite alliance in survivor history.

hahaha, yes. I think I hateliked Abi-Maria and Kass for pretty much the same reasons. Both successfully terrible players, abrasive, wildly unselfaware, convinced of their skill at playing the game, smug about making a "big move".
Having them together on a tribe in an All-star season would be like poetry. Even if one of them were to be the first boot, they'd bring the drama. Realistically, of the two, Abi'd be out first. Kass has one important skill: she's straight up great at puzzles. So in the early phase, the tribe might be persuaded to look past grudges to oust the least useful members.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fenris13 posted:

Yeah, but we already saw that.

Now imagine an early game where someone at Tribal Council is scorned by watching their loved one near unanimously voted out in a blindside. Will they scramble? Align with other loners? Try to wiggle their way into a pairs alliance?

I want to watch pairs trying to survive together in the early game. It's a different way of playing on the same gimmick.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kass was self-aware enough in her boot interview with Rob to say that she knows people don't like her, and that she was going to mention that in her jury speech, like, say that's why she had to make some of the moves she made and stuff. I actually liked her game more after listening to that. Spencer correctly acknowledged that Kass was better at puzzles than he was. Tony's interview was the most fun.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Fast Luck posted:

Kass was self-aware enough in her boot interview with Rob to say that she knows people don't like her, and that she was going to mention that in her jury speech, like, say that's why she had to make some of the moves she made and stuff. I actually liked her game more after listening to that. Spencer correctly acknowledged that Kass was better at puzzles than he was. Tony's interview was the most fun.
This interview with Rob would have been after the Survivor finale aired or before? If it was after the show aired, I think it's easy to be self-aware once you saw the footage, and how people react.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

"Assuming the Cast doesn't Suck" might as well be Survivor's motto. There are good gimmicks and lovely gimmicks, but casting really is the key to a decent season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Except the split with loved ones on the same tribe was the original plan until RC and her dad had to drop out and get replaced with the most boring couple ever. I think it could lead to interesting voting strategies in the run-up to the merge.

It was good fortune for them that the original plan was not used, because I dont imagine a lot of tension being created by the fact that one tribe is "blood" and the other is "water". Rupert and his wife are probably atleast as close as any of the blood relations, if you want to classify them that way. To me the idea of blood being all relations that exist before survivor is much more intuitive and I dont think they will change that. Otherwise they would not need RI.

Met posted:

Yeah, but we already saw that.

Now imagine an early game where someone at Tribal Council is scorned by watching their loved one near unanimously voted out in a blindside. Will they scramble? Align with other loners? Try to wiggle their way into a pairs alliance?

I want to watch pairs trying to survive together in the early game. It's a different way of playing on the same gimmick.

We saw it yes, but with one tribe being returnees the dynamic was totally different. The assumption for a lot of players was that the returnees will determine all post alliances but in case of all newbees there will not be a leading-tribe by default.

If the pairs are on the same tribe it will be pretty boring as noone had the chance to bond with one of them but not the other, which will mean that we can expect a lot of 1-2 votes against a pair, because a loner will be considered dangerouse by default. It would be 3 pairs on each side that decide pretty much all pre merge votes. The fact that you have to break up alliances that only consist of 3 voting blocks and not 6 individuals would make it nearly impossible to scramble with success.

Narcissus1916 posted:

"Assuming the Cast doesn't Suck" might as well be Survivor's motto. There are good gimmicks and lovely gimmicks, but casting really is the key to a decent season.

So true. The BvBvB twist we had this season was not that strong in my opinion (most survivor's could have been placed in atleast 2 out of the 3 tribes, if not all 3) but was rescued by good casting. The one world twist on the other hand sounds fun, but was ruined by casting and the fact that they divided by gender (probably necessary to allow the viewer to easily distinguish the tribes).

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 25, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Fast Luck posted:

Kass was self-aware enough in her boot interview with Rob to say that she knows people don't like her

incredible

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
we'll probably be able to narrow it down a bit once we get the number of players, if there are 18 then it'll be family members against each other since 9v9 doesn't make sense for pairs (unless they did 2+2+2 v 2+2+2 v 2+2+2, which could be cool)

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Poque posted:

we'll probably be able to narrow it down a bit once we get the number of players, if there are 18 then it'll be family members against each other since 9v9 doesn't make sense for pairs (unless they did 2+2+2 v 2+2+2 v 2+2+2, which could be cool)

Oh, that might explain why Jeff was talking about how when you start with 20 people it's nearly impossible to get all the way down to a F2.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think Woo just didn't want to spend that last day on the island with Kass

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Good lord I feel so bad after the first three eps of Fiji. Normally there's some schadenfreude. But I just feel genuinely bad. One teams got a loving house to live in. Other team is licking leaves for water.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

nexous posted:

Good lord I feel so bad after the first three eps of Fiji. Normally there's some schadenfreude. But I just feel genuinely bad. One teams got a loving house to live in. Other team is licking leaves for water.

Yeah that's one of the worst twists in Survivor history. It's still a fun season though! Arguably the single greatest character in the history of the show made his debut on Fiji.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

BGrifter posted:

Yeah that's one of the worst twists in Survivor history. It's still a fun season though! Arguably the single greatest character in the history of the show made his debut on Fiji.

I can only assume you are talking about Dreamz :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Carlton Banks posted:

I can only assume you are talking about Dreamz :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-S7h9YeKIc

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

My god what the gently caress is this

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
The craziest person to never win Survivor!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Joose Caboose posted:

My god what the gently caress is this

Not familiar with the music career of Lisi Linares? It's more notable than anything she did on Survivor Fiji.

Edit: Bonus music from Brice from this season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaBkTo0Bk48

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 26, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm about halfway through Redemption Island and I'm not a fan of returning survivors. I loved Russell's first two seasons, but was ready to see him go and I've never liked Boston Rob. :colbert: It seems like bringing back people from older seasons just leads to people behaving like starstruck fools.

Phillip is great for TV though!

Edit: ok I liked Rob in Marquesas but that's it.

Edit 2: I'm totally fine with the all-star style seasons, just not the ones with 2 returning people.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 26, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can't wait for your post-season thoughts!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
How on earth am I just becoming aware of this now? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE-V9Mn9WT8

Richard Hatch and Rachel Reilly :swoon: promoing some sort of weird travel show called I'm On A Boat!

Bonus Richard Hatch dancing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZPVc-zcwx0

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That is very surreal

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Can't wait for your post-season thoughts!

Haha. I think I read a spoiler, something about Rob being in the Survivor hall of fame despite not winning yet, emphasis on yet. Once I read that, I was half tempted to skip this season entirely. I'm sticking with it to see how it plays out.

I think Russell and Rob are both devious as hell, but the difference is that Russell was the underdog in all his seasons and and still got to FTC twice. When Rob is the underdog, he flounders. His only success (so far) came from being ahead the entire time. Maybe that's not how this season will play out, but it's not very fun to watch people win when they were never at risk.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
To me I think not letting yourself get into a bad position is a skill. It's not as fun as watching someone make a comeback as the underdog but it's just as impressive to keep a game together, especially in Survivor where if you're in charge of an alliance you're like a Sith lord with all your underlings constantly on the brink of overthrowing you.

Though in Survivor sometimes starting on top is definitely just luck. Like the better members of the Brains Tribe were just kinda screwed over with a few toxic teammates. So the Brawn and Beauty tribes were luckier in that regard (even though they also had problems.)

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 27, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah,I've said it before with a winner I wasn't overly impressed by like Cochran because he had a pretty hurdle less road... Even if he didn't make some big move or whatever and even if he did get lucky it still takes some game to simply get there and not screw it up. There's so many ways you could mess up your game in challenges, in social gaming, in the survival aspect. All you have to do is say the wrong thing to the wrong person or screw up the wrong challenge at the wrong time or mess up something at camp on a bad day and your whole game can come crashing down.

If you can make it to the end of Survivor and you weren't just carried as a goat then you did something right.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 27, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I think it's a skill if you don't have a reputation before the game begins. Going all the way back to Borneo and Richard, that was more impressive that what's currently going on during Redemption Island. Julie said it best that Rob's group isn't an alliance, but a cult. That's just what happens when old players mix with new, kind of like how people reacted and clung to Stephenie in Guatemala. I can't really fault the old players for taking advantage of it, I guess. I just wish the new players wouldn't stand for that poo poo, like how Russell got booted as soon as his tribe had the chance.

Edit: I'm not going to read the post above mine even though I think it's regarding this discussion because I haven't seen that season yet. :(

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Personally, I think Tony is what you'd get if Russel Hantz and Boston Rob made a baby, with Special Agent Phil sitting in a chair, legs crossed, fingers steepled in front of him, watching intently, and offering advice, like Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights.

But that's just me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The weirdest Survivor fan fiction yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

TheCenturion posted:

Personally, I think Tony is what you'd get if Russel Hantz and Boston Rob made a baby, with Special Agent Phil sitting in a chair, legs crossed, fingers steepled in front of him, watching intently, and offering advice, like Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights.

But that's just me.

This is probably the most accurate description of the Tony Experience(TM). Except that neither Russell or Rob were ever as frantic as Tony, so you'd need to add in the essence of a legendarily hyperactive player, somebody who is terminally terrified they will be voted for and furious when their name is written down.

• Locked thread