Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it seems fair to presume that if the labour NEC expelled rahman, rahman might actually be trying to create a political machine

in any case, this would hardly be the first time where New Labour fell in love with the idea of empowering a local executive, only to then find that, surprise surprise, it's no longer a secure Labour post (cough all of Scotland cough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

A Sloth posted:

Please move out the way....

Please...

All thirty of you. PS those inside don't say anything that may make the peaceful eager voters go mad.

e: Nothing will happen though because their politician won.

Look how scared you are of non white people. You're a loving idiot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Sorry for a random interjection but I have literally no facial recognition skills whatsoever, I know from the context that this is a UK politician but could someone identify them for me?

It's to make a sassy comeback on Facebook so I'd rather not get the politician wrong but prosopagnosia is tripping me up here.

Gordon ramsey.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
sloth doesn't need to freak out about rahman, really

taking it as given that it is a nascent political machine (and noting that excluded ethnic/religious/class minorities of all kinds do this when they dominate a local office, white or not; machines are hardly a new phenomenon) - there's nowhere it can go; trying to run from the left of Labour means that the tension between culturally conservative British Bangladeshi activists and the (predominantly white) LGBT and feminist activists is liable to cause incidents. A common cause against Tory cuts can only go so far; Respect is one rape coverup incident from being SWP'd into oblivion.

part of trying to convert a passionate fringe into a machine is that Rahman needs to have some tools to discipline his own most passionate supporters when they go too far, and I doubt he has any. fringe parties all have this problem (see: UKIP).

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 24, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
When are the full set of results supposed to be out?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

When are the full set of results supposed to be out?

For councils or Euros? Councils should be finished today - there was only 11 to declare last night - and the Euros don't count until tomorrow.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Serotonin posted:

Look how scared you are of non white people. You're a loving idiot.

A bunch of non whites claiming somebody's "persecution" by the state is because of racism and not their own actions. Never gone awry in London before.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

For councils or Euros? Councils should be finished today - there was only 11 to declare last night - and the Euros don't count until tomorrow.

Euros have all been counted, but cannot be released until tommorrow I thought.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

A Sloth posted:

A bunch of non whites claiming somebody's "persecution" by the state is because of racism and not their own actions. Never gone awry in London before.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with how the police treated ethnic minorities like presumed criminals with their stop and search policies.

Nope, not at all!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

A Sloth posted:

What actions? Turning up to celebrate the election success?

Are you going to admit you responded to the racist dogwhistle on this one like so many other far right imbeciles on Twitter did last night, and got it wrong?

You are a joke.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

A Sloth posted:

You know, I can't think of a single time that a group was actually persecuted because of their race. I think every single time was actually them playing the race card for political benefit.

Racism is over, people! Wake up! If we stop talking about it it goes away.

A Sloth, your opinions are as lazy as your namesake.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
can I point out that the accusations of ethnic intimidation in Tower Hamlets, specifically, have been advanced in public from the far left since the Respect Party split over the issue a while back

sloth's particular choice of phrasing is transparently right-wing dogwhistling, yes, but charges of 'communalism' &c. have been floating around for a bit already. One can doubt the left-wing bona fides of Luftur Rahman without decrying British Muslim representation as intrinsically corrupt

e: goddamn autocorrect

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 24, 2014

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
All I see is two pictures of lots of police.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Touchdown Boy posted:

All I see is two pictures of lots of police.

I was going to say.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ditto - all I'm seeing in those pictures are police standing around.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

Dugan was totally shot because he was a black and not for carrying firearms. Rahman is being investigated for being a Bangladeshi, not due his history of fraudulent actions and favouring certain ethnic groups.

And the pictures don't show the crowd, my point is there was a large police presence for the '30 strong' crowd because they where very near kicking off.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Muslims are using their advanced powers of invisibility that they are famed for.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
That's not really a large police force when you compare it to the amount of supervision we get at antifa stuff...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/tower-hamlets-mayor-lutfur-rahman-accusations

I hadn't read any thing about this previously? Was the panorama programme recent?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

A Sloth posted:

Dugan was totally shot because he was a black and not for carrying firearms. Rahman is being investigated for being a Bangladeshi, not due his history of fraudulent actions and favouring certain ethnic groups.

And the pictures don't show the crowd, my point is there was a large police presence for the '30 strong' crowd because they where very near kicking off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

March. There was a Dispatches programme showing his links to the IFE back in 2010 to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
TBH I've seen more police patrolling around Cardiff City Centre on any given Friday night/Saturday morning. Double so if there's some sort of sporting thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ddraig posted:

TBH I've seen more police patrolling around Cardiff City Centre on any given Friday night/Saturday morning. Double so if there's some sort of sporting thing.

I once saw three police vehicles and a couple of dozen police officers outside a noodle bar on Mile End Road.
Won't someone think of the noodle bars?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

A Sloth posted:

there was a large police presence for the '30 strong' crowd because they where very near kicking off.

Yeah going to need you to show your working on this one

Here's a hint: the police often overreact, especially when it involves minorities and/or politicians

Gnoll Pie
Jun 17, 2005

Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!
Really baffling to see people defending a corrupt character like Rahman, but hey he's a Muslim and a member of a minority group so he can do no wrong right? Well, except for all this:

30 things you need to know about Lutfur Rahman:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andrewgilligan/100272429/lutfur-rahman-what-you-should-know/

Andrew Gilligan posted:

1) In 2008 Rahman (then a Labour councillor) won the leadership of Tower Hamlets council with the close help of an Islamic extremist group, the Islamic Forum of Europe, which which works to create a sharia state and an "Islamic social, economic and political order" in Britain. In secret filming, IFE activists described how they exercised “consolidated… influence and power” over the council.

2) Rahman channelled millions of pounds in council grants to IFE front organisations and appointed a senior IFE figure as assistant chief executive of the council, though he was wholly unqualified for this senior post. Both the assistant chief executive and Rahman were subsequently removed from their jobs.

3) An extremist preacher was invited to speak in the council chamber and extremist literature, including audio tapes by the al-Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, was stocked in Tower Hamlets libraries.

4) In 2010, after a campaign including large numbers of fake signatures led by the IFE, Tower Hamlets was changed from having a conventional council leader to a far more personally powerful, directly-elected mayor. In secret filming, senior IFE activists described how they would “get one of our brothers” into the new post.

5) Rahman personally signed up entire families as sham members of the Labour Party to win selection as the Labour mayoral candidate. He was selected, but was then removed by Labour’s National Executive Committee, and subsequently expelled from the party.

6) Rahman won election anyway as an independent, on a tiny turnout, after his (Muslim) Labour opponent was smeared as a wife-beater and enemy of Islam in thousands of newsletters produced with Rahman’s full knowledge. The new mayor was said by his campaign manager to have a "strategic relationship" with the IFE, with “most” of his campaigners being “either Respect or IFE activists.”

7) Even though Tower Hamlets is only 34 per cent Muslim, Rahman appointed a 100 per cent Bangladeshi and Muslim cabinet. He has never appointed any non-Muslim to any cabinet post and has no non-Muslim councillors.

8) Rahman has given control over the council’s finances to Alibor Choudhury, a former employee of an IFE front organisation with a long track record of encounters with the police. Rahman has himself taken personal control of all grants over £1000.

9) Under Rahman and Choudhury, council grants have been diverted away from secular bodies serving the whole community to IFE fronts and to other groups serving largely the Muslim community. Several of these groups, the council’s scrutiny committee found, are new and without any track record. Several appear to be based in people's private homes. Several involve individuals with close personal connections to Rahman. (For a full account of Rahman’s Muslim grants favouritism, see here.)

10) Rahman has transferred valuable council properties to close personal associates at far less than their true market value, including a 10,000 square foot office building a stone’s throw from Canary Wharf which was sold for £875,000 to the man in charge of his election campaign website.

11) Key Rahman allies have been witnessed, and have not denied, engaging in a practice known as “vote-harvesting,” registering people for postal votes and then collecting their blank ballot papers.

12) Some of the supposed voters do not appear to exist. “Ghost” voters registered to empty properties or huge numbers of voters registered to small flats have been regular features of Tower Hamlets elections.

13) Rahman has presided over an atmosphere of menace and intimidation at council meetings. Phalanxes of Rahman supporters drafted in to the public galleries shout homophobic abuse at several key opponents of the mayor, who are gay. Rahman’s cabinet members, such as Alibor Choudhury, abuse their opponents as fascists.

14) Rahman has used council officers to hound and bully opposition councillors, spending tens of thousands of pounds of public money to make spurious, but time-consuming, legal attacks on them.

15) At council meetings, Rahman refuses to answer questions about any of these or most other issues, with officers saying that to do so would breach his human rights.

16) Rahman also refuses to engage with most other questioning. He has made almost no public appearances in this election campaign at any event where he would be required to answer questions.

17) Rahman largely ignores the non-Bengali media but pays tens of thousands of pounds of public money to UK-based Bengali-language TV stations - including £50,000 a year personally to one TV channel’s chief reporter. In return, they give him fawning coverage. The channels have been repeatedly censured by Ofcom, but it appears to make no difference.

18) Rahman has channelled further millions of taxpayers’ money into an extensive cult of personality. He has a weekly newspaper delivered to all households at public expense, containing often as many as a dozen pictures or mentions of himself.

19) Rahman has had hundreds of copies of his own picture displayed at public expense on billboards, lampposts, and even council dustcarts (to comply with election law, most have recently been removed.)

20) Rahman has used public funds to send thousands of personal letters, again with his picture on them, to residents claiming credit for things which are not his doing, such as the Government-funded council housing refurbishment programme.

21) Rahman has been hostile or indifferent to the borough's non-Muslim heritage, threatening to close the local history library (reversed only after a storm of protest), selling off pubs and threatening them with closure, and attempting to dispose of a Henry Moore artwork whose form offended Islamic sensibilities. At the same time, he has created a new programme to channel hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money to (mainly Muslim) faith buildings.

22) Rahman’s cabinet member for education, Oliur Rahman, appeared on a public platform with a group campaigning for the “unacceptability of homosexuality.”

23) Rahman’s cabinet member for the environment, Shahed Ali, avoided £25,000 in tax by liquidating his restaurant business, then immediately reopening the restaurant under a new name. He boasts that he used the proceeds to buy a Porsche.

24) Rahman’s cabinet member for culture, Rania Khan, mocked gay people and published pictures of knives on her social networking site, saying: “I know it’s not ladylike, but I luv my weapons.”

25) Rahman’s key funder, Shiraj Haque, a restaurateur, has a criminal caution for selling counterfeit wine. He was sacked from his chairmanship of a council-sponsored festival after suspicions that it was being used as a front for illegal immigration, but was reappointed by Rahman. Despite being a millionaire who owns at least seven properties, Haque has been given subsidised social housing by the council.

26) Rahman has repeatedly given character references for convicted criminals, including a sex attacker.

27) Rahman charges taxpayers up to £60,000 a year for a Mercedes car and chauffeur, which he has used, among other purposes, to collect his dry cleaning. No other elected mayor, including Boris Johnson, has a limousine. He claims he has now given it up, but this appears to be only for the election period.

28) Rahman has also spent large sums of public money on taxis for himself, including one purported fare of £71 to travel a distance of 400 metres and another £28 fare from a local McDonald’s to his office.

29) Rahman is accused by the Government of practising “divisive community politics” and the “mismanagement of council staff and resources.”

30) Neither of the neighbouring boroughs, Hackney and Newham, will work with Rahman. The Labour mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, describes Rahman as “very bad news” and as creating a form of apartheid in his area.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I'm trying to work out how Labour having more seats and control of more councils then the Tories, Lib Dems and Ukip combined is some sort of massive failure, particularly as no one was expecting a 1997 style landslide next year? Unless the media are just trying to get a sensationalist story? But when have they ever done that.

- Just because people rightly doubted that hordes of Muslims were rioting in the street, doesn't mean their defending the clear corruption in Tower Hamlets.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 24, 2014

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gnoll Pie posted:

Really baffling to see people defending a corrupt character like Rahman, but hey he's a Muslim and a member of a minority group so he can do no wrong right? Well, except for all this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andrewgilligan/100272429/lutfur-rahman-what-you-should-know/

I can see why you are baffled. Im baffled.
I cant see anyone defending Rahman.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I don't get that either.

*Labour wins by far the highest number of seats*

*Media describe this as an "awful" result for Labour*

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No one here is defending Rahman.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gnoll Pie posted:

loving hell. I didn't realise it was that bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gnoll Pie posted:

I've never defended Lutfur, he's corrupt as gently caress and Tower Hamlets politics would make the Medicis blush. What I very strenuously object to is people using the corruption of one borough as justification and reinforcement for their racism.

(Of course this isn't helped by all sides of the fight in the Bangladeshi community being willing to jump straight to THEY HANG AROUND WITH MUSLIMS THEREFORE THEY ARE TERRORISTS, as Helal Abbas did in the last mayoral election, with the gleeful support of the local Tories who are overjoyed that they barely even have to blow the dogwhistle because their opponents are all using loudhailers)

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Aside from Election chat, a few pages back someone was talking about how Letting Agents charges are bullshit and you can challenge them? If someone has that information handy I'd be grateful. We're going to take a really nice flat owned by my fiancees boss, but the letting agent she uses wants a £240 'Admin Fee' for the pair of us, for us producing referrences & 3 months worth of Bank statements and them to pop round with a Boilerplate Tenancy agreement, and gently caress that.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Gnoll Pie posted:

Is Andrew Gilligan still working for PressTV?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Jippa posted:

To be fair most of those accusations could be levelled in a similar fashion to any number if our current politicians. Corruption and politics go hand in hand at every level.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Yeah, like I say, it's pretty bad. The cult of personality Lutfur is trying to build around himself - his face is literally everywhere in TH - is particularly grating.

The IFE stuff is a bit of a red herring though, because it fits into the "East London Mosque are all terrorists" line that the Brick Lane Mosque contingent in the Labour party have been peddling since getting their arses handed to them by ELM and Respect after the convulsions in the local Labour party at the turn of the century. What we've actually got going on here is good old-fashioned graft, with nasty people fighting dirty to get their hands on power. This is the sort of poo poo that (to a lesser but sometimes greater extent) is happening in councils up and down the country. However, because the rift happens to sit between two groups associated with two mosques, rather than two golf clubs, or two unions, or two masonic lodges, it makes lovely scary reading for Middle England to tut over.

e: It's bad enough that I almost voted Tory for the local council ward because they're the only ones even making vague noises about the absolute insanity of the last five years of planning decisions.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 24, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Serotonin posted:

To be fair most of those accusations could be levelled in a similar fashion to any number if our current politicians. Corruption and politics go hand in hand at every level.

That was very neatly demonstrated by the recent Free Schools and Academies dramas, where governors were found to be handing vast sums of money to their families and friends. It seems that any time anyone gets hold of some purse strings the temptation to derive a little personal profit just too much to resist.

The best defence would be a frequent, rigorous and ruthless system of audit of all public finances. But I suspect that the Tories reduced (or would reduce) the numbers of those responsible for doing so from sensible staffing level down to two part-time staff working in a portacabin, just like they did with HMRC and UKBA.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

That was very neatly demonstrated by the recent Free Schools and Academies dramas, where governors were found to be handing vast sums of money to their families and friends. It seems that any time anyone gets hold of some purse strings the temptation to derive a little personal profit just too much to resist.

The best defence would be a frequent, rigorous and ruthless system of audit of all public finances. But I suspect that the Tories reduced (or would reduce) the numbers of those responsible for doing so from sensible staffing level down to two part-time staff working in a portacabin, just like they did with HMRC and UKBA.

Haven't they actually already done this with the local government oversight bodies? Or maybe that was Labour, but I definitely remember big cuts at Standards for England and the NAO a few years ago.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm probably incredibly naive but I didn't think stuff like that happened in england (at least on that scale)?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

I'm probably incredibly naive but I didn't think stuff like that happened in england (at least on that scale)?

Have you been at the bottom of a well for the last 50 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The government is planning a youth detention rape shed. But they care so it'll have a mother and baby unit too :thumbsup:

• Locked thread